main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Change of Plans--An O/Q Short Story--COMPLETED 6.4

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    **Kind of a shorty today. I was out during the morning. ;) I hope to be restarting 'Blurred Visions' again very soon, and I'm crossing my fingers that I can start writing at that level again. I feel like I've been really slipping lately. :( My problem is I know the end of the story, I just have no idea how to get there! I'm really gonna have to brainstorm. [face_thinking] **

Kynstar I'm glad you liked it! :D

jm2 Thanks. ;)

o_e :_| Uh...I mean, fine, see if I care! [face_liarliar]

jeday Perhaps. You never know. There's lots of possiblities I'm considering. :)

diane Mush? My dear, dear woman, what would ever give you the idea that I would write such a thing?! 8-}

PK [face_laugh] PK: Crusader for the Unsuspecting Would-Be Master!

Shaindl I knew I'd been having a good feeling these past few days for some reason.... :D Seriously though, glad you're back! ;)

Calantha Thank you for your support! [face_love]

Qui-Gon waited for the door to close, then sat beside his apprentice. It was the first time either Jedi had seen each other, now that the dust was settled and Obi-Wan?s health was totally restored. Qui-Gon took the opportunity to revel in the calm, his Padawan?s vivacious spirit encircling him .

Great effort was put forth in order for the deadly poison to be purged from Obi-Wan?s system?most of that work was left to the young man himself, manifested in the shadow ringing his eyes.

But despite his obvious exhaustion, Obi-Wan smiled. ?I take it you didn?t receive a warm reception at the capital.?

?Not hardly.? The simmer of outrage was dimmed in Qui-Gon?s eyes, stifled beneath a layer of twinkling affection. He looked at his apprentice with wonder, as if Obi-Wan were an angel dropped from the sky.

And, in a way, the Master decided it was true, for this man-child before him had separated from the living world, if only for a moment. That Obi-Wan was now before him, whole and breathing, was almost more than he could thank the Force for.

Because he had already devoted his entire heart to the task.

?They will still require a relief grant, won?t they??

Qui-Gon blinked, then shook his head. ?If I can be honest with you, Padawan, I couldn?t care less.?

Obi-Wan swallowed his shock. ?Master??

The man smiled, and fine lines streaked the skin around his eyes. ?I think this mission?s left us a little worn out?I haven?t the energy for euphemism. I hope the jungle will be replenished, but I have no good feeling towards Eume?Li.? With his thumb, he touched the dimple on Obi-Wan?s chin. ?I?m eager to leave.?

?I noticed.? The apprentice smirked, then sobered, a crease appearing between his brows. ?I can?t help but think I could have prevented the entire mess. I never registered the bite. If you and Knight Tirr wouldn?t have been there??

?Hush now.? Qui-Gon moved his hand up to Obi-Wan?s mouth, pressing a finger to it. ?It?s my duty to protect you.?

Obi-Wan stared at him, his eyes kindling a measure of uncertainty and embarrassment. ?I-I think I threw up on you.?

The older Jedi laughed. ?There?s an old adage in the Order. It goes something like ?to care for someone is to know them at their worst, and still wish them the best?. I?m just thankful that you?re here, Obi-Wan. The rest?it doesn?t matter at all.? He leaned forward and gathered his Padawan into an embrace.

Obi-Wan buried his face in a shoulder.

Qui-Gon held him tight, doing his best to keep the haunt of the jungle from his mind. Everything would be alright now.

The proof of that was in his arms.

?Don?t frighten me like that again.? He murmured in Obi-Wan?s ear. ?It was enough to last a lifetime?and more.?

Ullo?s words replayed in Obi-Wan?s head. He had not expected such open emotion from his Master. He knew that Qui-Gon had been concerned, but not frightened. Obi-Wan had always thought the rogue?s reputation to be somewhat factual: that at his core, he could not be shaken.

But there wa

2. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    They are so sweet together. :)

3. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    Wow. And the tension finally subsides. I think you ought to know that this story has really captured my attention, and I found myself repeatedly thinking about it during statistics class. I was always anxious to see what happened next. :)

Obi-Wan stared at him, his eyes kindling a measure of uncertainty and embarrassment. ?I-I think I threw up on you.?

[face_laugh]

4. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I think they're moving closer to something really important - but I think Obi-Wan has to ask some tough questions of both himself and of Qui. Can't wait for more, LE!

Shaindl

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    See - MUSH!!!!! [face_laugh] If it reads like mush and sounds like mush and there are tears somewhere among the mush - then it's mush.

Personally, I love mush. Can't get enough of it. Is there more???? :D

I liked that Obi-Wan was becoming aware of how much his Master cares. He needs to know and accept this in his heart.

Keep going.

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    * sniff* That was wonderful. * goes back to stewing* [face_not_talking]

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    AWWWWWWWW [face_love] sooooooooo sweeeeeet!! Obi now knows the truth!!!! [face_love] *sigh* ahhhh
    totally loved this postie! Short but sweet! How I like'em!! Mush for all! :D GREAT Job LE

(oh btw I'm totally enjoying "Blurred Visions" on the ff.net!!!)

8. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    How sweet! I love Obi and Qui angst because it leads to Obi and Qui mush! Wonderful job!

9. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Obi-Wan stared at him, his eyes kindling a measure of uncertainty and embarrassment. ?I-I think I threw up on you.? [face_laugh]

I loved that. They are so sweet together. I think that one of Obi's flaws is that he will always be a bit insecure when it comes to Qui-Gon. It may fade over time, and moments like this will certainly help keep it at bay -but it seems so ingrained.

Lovely little fic this turned out to be. It's one i'll save to by faves and read again every now and then when I need a little pick me up. It was great how Qui told off the officials!

--shan

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Happy mushy mush- good cure for the week from Hell.

11. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    jeday :)

Calantha Aw, thank you. [face_blush]

Shaindl I think more than just Obi-Wan's gonna have to ask some questions of themselves. :eek:

diane You're insatiable, woman! [face_laugh]

o_e Thank you. 8-}

Kynstar Got your review on the other site, too. [face_love] I'm so glad you're enjoying it! :D

jm2 I think that's why angst is so popular in the first place. [face_mischief]

shanobi I think that was everyone's favorite part! Go figure! [face_laugh] Thank you! :)

PK Aw, I hope this week's better for you. ;)

^^^ () ^^^

Ullo glanced at the opening to the Eume?Li medical center. The building was muted by the amber tint of the speeder window. Interesting, how tame this world seemed, when darkened a shade or two.

Usually, light was welcomed, sorely missed when the thick shroud of night fell. But, Ullo found, this mission had proven the opposite: the molten sun rays were almost an enemy, slowing their progress with the ever-present drizzle of sweat.

He closed his eyes.

So many foes were identified on this planet. Beyond the obvious, the flesh hungry insect, Ullo had been confronted by a certain demon.

And its face was identical to his own, the part of him that remained a child, huddling in the corner with his hands over his head.

It wasn?t fair, really. He did his time, grew from initiate to Knight, dealing with all the insecurity and doubt in between.

Now was meant to be the era of stability in his life.

He thought he would be upset with Jinn, for splintering and cracking that base, so that he could no longer stand upon it. But he wasn?t.

The door slid open.

Ullo straightened, narrowing his eyes to see the Master and apprentice. ?They let him out early?? He smiled. ?Let me guess?good behavior??

Gently, Qui-Gon helped Obi-Wan into the vehicle, then sat beside him.

The driver looked at Qui-Gon in the rearview mirror. ?The Palle?ti hangar, sir??

?Yes, thank you.? The small speeder moved swiftly into the traffic.

Qui-Gon turned to Ullo. ?I spoke with the healer. He didn?t anticipate any further problems. And the only problem I could anticipate was keeping Obi-Wan here a second longer than necessary.?

?I wholeheartedly agree.? Ullo?s voice carried a trace of weariness, and he was anxious to reach their transport, for more reasons that one.

Obi-Wan blinked rapidly, devoting his entire consciousness to staying upright. The conversation between his Master and Knight Tirr was a distant fog to him. His body was healed, but it had yet to recover its equilibrium. Currently, his exhaustion was outweighing all else.

?Did the Council have anything to say?? Qui-Gon asked his Jedi counterpart. ?I should have been the one to report our premature departure, since it was my idea. I hope you didn?t suffer any rebuke on my behalf.?

Ullo shrugged with a grin. ?The Council was in session. A receptionist, Padawan, I think, just took down the information I gave her.?

?Well, I suppose that will at least delay the inevitable.? Qui-Gon chuckled. With a tender hand, he brought Obi-Wan?s head down against his shoulder. His Padawan?s fatigue was so strong the driver could probably sense it!

Initially, Obi-Was was surprised, even uncomfortable. But it was less than a minute later that he was sound asleep.

?The healer told you everything?? Ullo inquired softly.

A cloud of pain passed through Qui-Gon?s eyes. ?Yes.? A beat of silence, then, ?Thank you for taking care of him while I was gone.?

?You?re welcome, but I think I got the better half of the deal. From what you?ve said, the capital meeting wasn?t so?pleasant.?

?Unfortunately, you?re completely correct.? He smiled grimly at the Knight. ?The moment I arrived, I was reprimanded for the attention I gave Obi-Wan.?

?What??

Qui-Gon nodded. ?It?s true. The officials were more than a little irked that my entire focus was not trained on the jungle. And their irritation wasn?t improved when I re

12. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, now you threw something in there that was most interesting:

And its face was identical to his own, the part of him that remained a child, huddling in the corner with his hands over his head.

Why did Ullo have to huddle in a corner with his hands over his head? There be more here than we anticipated, isn't there?

Lovely job, LE! Looking forward to the story with Tirr and his Padawan. ;)

Shaindl

13. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Another great update :) Ummm yeah that little tidbit on Knight Tirr is saddening. Poor guy, guess Qui & Obi rocked his 'stable' socks, eh? *snrk* hehehehe Well guess he had it coming to him, hmmm? hehehehe

Glad to see that they're leaving! Recoup time!! :)

Great post! :D

14. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Just popping in to catch up on all the reading I missed over the weekend. Oh, how I love those mushy moments between Qui and Obi, and you're so good at them. [face_love]

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Interesting twist. You gave us all the happy mushy stuff we could possible want, but then you threw in that bizzarre thought from Ullo. Hmmmmmm

16. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    I have to agree about the unexpected thought from Ullo. However, you are the queen of the unexpected. Great post! Can't wait for more!

17. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    And more literary cornstarch is added.

Now it seems there is a deeper reason behind Knight Tirr's reluctance to take a padawan. He had - at least in part - a difficult childhood. But still I wonder what exactly is holding him back. Does he not know how, because of the poor example he had? Does he worry he might subject his padawan to a similar torment?

Hmmm, I can't wait for more information on this!

And Obi and Qui...what can I say but 'aww.' And I could *see* it happening - so believable.

Wonderful job, Hon.

18. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
    Can't wait to read more about Ullo's childhood. :)

19. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Lovely, as usual :) I adore your attention to the small details. It seemed so natural for Qui to lay Obi's head on his shoulder.

As for Ullo and his thoughts. The huddling with his hands over his head? Metaphorical? Or are you leading us on? Are you caving to obi_ew's persistent . . . shall I say nagging. :D

More soon?

--shan

20. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    It was terrific to have so many wonderful posts to read when I returned LE. Great job. :)

21. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Shaindl Eh, I don't think it's what you think concerning Ullo and that passage. ;)

Kynstar Yeah, 'recoup time' might prove more heartwrenching than the actual mission! [face_laugh]

Opal Thank you! :)

PK How bizarre, how bizzare. :cool:

jm2 Aw, thanks! ;)

Antigone Hey! :) I was actually getting excited about what could happen with Ullo's character, although his past might not be as painful as everyone predicts. ;) Thank you! [face_love]

jeday Thanks. :)

shanobi I think it's symbolic and literal...but in what way? :confused: Thank you. [face_love]

Sheila You're back! Woo hoo! :D Hope you had an amazing time. ;)

^^^ () ^^^

Dusk was drifting down in pale radiance, leaving tinges of shadow as the speeder came to a stop in front of the Palle?Ti hangar.

Qui-Gon sat up with smooth, quick composure. His meditation had been shallow?even troubled, and privately, he was glad to reenter full awareness. He felt Obi-Wan?s head on his shoulder, and shifted slightly toward him, loathe to wake the exhausted young man.

Ullo?s eyes, darkened to jade in the fading light of day, settled on him. ?Do you need some help??

?I?ll be fine.? The Master smiled, climbing out of the vehicle and collecting Obi-Wan in his arms.

Ullo followed suit. He thanked the driver with a few credits, then moved to join Qui-Gon in observation of their new transport.

Both Jinn and Tirr had seen ships dripping in opulence, high on the scale of grandeur and decadence.

This was not one of those. The GenTrav III was a small vessel, multi-colored due to borrowed parts from other sips, with a beaten body.

?GenTrav III huh?? Ullo remarked with a smirk.

?I?m guessing that stands for ?General Travel?.?

?Wow,? The Knight?s voice glittered with sarcasm, ?Third in what must be a breathtaking series.?

Qui-Gon laughed. ?Now, before we encounter broken sinks and other?charming flaws, let my apologize.? The humor drained from his fatigue-worn face. ?I just-I just needed to be as far from here as possible, as soon as possible.?

Ullo shrugged, leading the way up the rickety ramp. ?Can?t blame you there. A quicksand bath on Tatooine would?ve been preferable to this.?

Qui-Gon didn?t respond to the quip. His focus skimmed the Eume?Li landscape, and he wondered if it were possible to hate something that was, realistically, innocent of the evils and tragedy that occurred on its soil.

But, in the emotional upheaval of death threatening life, one rarely paused to consider the logic of what churned in one?s mind.

?I?ll alert the pilot we?re ready to go.? Ullo told him softly, sensing the other?s need to be alone.

Qui-Gon stared out at the newborn night. A stale wind was picking up, buffeting the tree leaves and whipping his hair across his neck. He was glad that the jungle was far past his limits of vision. He didn?t know if he could endure another glance at the shriveled shell that nearly cost Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon, everything.

Obi-Wan stirred, bringing his teacher back to the present.

Funny. Usually, it was Qui-Gon warning him to stay in the moment.

With one last, bland look, he stepped back inside the transport and sealed the hatch.

If only it were that simple, Qui-Gon reflected wearily, to also close this dark chapter of their lives.

^^^ () ^^^

There was a humble common area and a single sleeping quarters. The interior was dully lit, a welcome change from the blinding glare of the sun.

Qui-Gon walked into the bedroom. He didn?t bother to switch on a glow rod, carrying Obi-Wan to one of the two cots. The mattress was covered by worn, fuzzy green material, but it couldn?t hide the lumps.

Then again, he would take an uneven mattress over a plastic hospital chair any day.

Qui-Gon pulled the blanket back and with great care, laid Obi-Wan out on the bed. For a moment, he felt abruptly cold, separated from him even by this small length. He looked down at the sleeping face,

22. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Oh, yay, more angst ahead! :p

Lovely post, LE, of course. So glad they're finally away from that planet. But I think the ship might, for a time at least, be even worse.

Can't wait for more!

Shaindl

23. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh this was soooooooooo great!!! Loved the bit with Qui leaning over the sleeping Obi! 'Too close, my Padawan.' Ohhhh I can see that happening too!

And the bit with Tirr telling him about what Obi said. That was so shocking to Qui, cuz he didn't even realize it! Great post! *Sigh* [face_love] must be nice to have somebody who loves you like that! I'm jealous!! ;) Great show on the emotions!! And the bit on Qui's thoughts on the planet. Awsome play of words! :D

24. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    No, wait! Hey, where's Qui-Gon going? Get him back here...get LE back here to post the rest of this... she can't just turn it from mush to angst like that and then leave. :_|

A gem of a post as always, LE.

25. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
    I think Ullo did the right thing. Qui-Gon has to know. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.