main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

A Change of Plans: OT Fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by KnightMara, Oct 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Wow, don't you just hate it when life decides to interfere with fun! Seems like I've barely been able to take a breath lately with all of the changes that are occuring in my life right now. However, I'm nearly ready to post the next segment (it was really, really iffy, so I'm working on making it less so).

Jee-dai: This is my first Han-centered piece, and I'm having a lot of fun making him the sympathetic character!

Herman: No date has been set yet, so you may have quite a wait ahead of you! :)

Vergere: I'll try to scan a photo of the ring to tide you over until I can actually get wedding pictures (which may not be for quite a while)

Twinnie: I've been picturing all the actors as I write the scenes and dialoge, so I hope they're coming through in the writing. Personally, I'd like to have seen more scenes of them. . .their banter was great!

RebelMom: Don't feel bad. I'm way behind, too. In fact, I've been reduced to a lurker most of the time, my on-line time has been so greatly reduced! Not to mention the fact that my computer keeps trying to freeze all the time when I'm about to type a reply. I'll be fortunate if this one goes through (it's my second attempt, actually).

Everyone: Expect a post by Monday night or Tuesday morning at the latest!

2. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    thanks knightmara! :) soo...tongiht is monday night...

hey if you get a chance, please go to my new story...its pretty short so far:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1411853&start=1417291

no pressure...i just really want more readers :)

3. Jargonn

Jargonn Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2000
    Sorry, just me! KnightMara, I hope you'll be posting soon, I'm dying to know what's happening with Luke, and by the sounds of it, Han isn't faring much better.
    Please post soon!

4. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Boy, it's taken forever, I know. But here is the next post. . .just finished:

By the time a very weary Han reached the medcenter, Princess Leia was wreaking her own special brand of havoc.

"What do you mean I can't go in there and see him?" she was hollering, while a very nervous tech stood before her.

"Y-your Highness," the young woman stammered in reply, "I can't let anyone in there yet."

"Why?" the princess demanded.

"He's still fighting against the fever," the tech replied, forcing as much dignity into her voice as she could. Han truly felt sorry for her at that moment. He knew what it was like to be under one of her Worshipfulness' verbal onslaughts. It was certainly a difficult place to find oneself in. Admirably, the young woman plodded on. "Once the fever has broken, he can have visitors. But right now, he's far too weak."

Han expected her Highnessness to continue her tirade, and he moved to step between her and the hapless tech. To his surprise, the princess sighed and backed off, moving silently out into the hallway without another glance toward him or the young woman she'd been shouting at just a few moments earlier. Han watched her exit in total shock, not sure what to make of her uncharacteristic shift from attack to surrender. Concerned, he gave a polite nod toward the young tech before following the princess out into the hallway.

Outside the medcenter, he found her slouched in an uncomfortable looking chair, appearing utterly defeated. Cold, hard worry formed in the pit of his stomach as he gazed upon her exhausted features and watched a solitary tear slowly make it's way down her dirt-streaked cheek. This was a side to the princess he'd never seen. She wasn't supposed to act this way. She was defiant, obstinate, aggressive, opinionated, bossy, determined, and optimistic. This was a woman who'd watched her world explode before her eyes shortly before ordering her two would-be rescuers around the Death Star in a hastily and haphazardly constructed escape plan. This was a woman who had an answer for everything. Come to think of it, this was a woman who usually pissed Han off royally, no pun intended.

As his concern mounted, so did his confusion. Surely, this couldn't be all because of Luke. Could it?

Crossing in front of her, he sat down in an equally uncomfortable chair as the one she now occupied, and gazed into her face. "You okay?"

She refused to look up into his gaze. "This isn't supposed to happen," she whispered, barely audible.

Han shook his head in confusion. "What's not supposed to happen?"

At his question, she finally brought her gaze up to meet his. Tired and tearful brown eyes stared into his own. She gestured weakly around her. "All of this. This-this mess," she finally managed, her voice starting to break a little with each word. "The ship, the base, Luke. None of this is supposed to be going on right now."

Hearing her start to break down, and still unsure of the cause, Han leaned forward. He softened his expression and his voice as he tried to soothe her. "Hey, it's not--"

She cut him off abruptly with a sob. "We won the battle, didn?t we?" she cried. "I mean, the Death Star was destroyed! So why are things so bad right now? Aren't they supposed to be better? Aren't we supposed to be moving forward instead of falling behind?" She stopped, her eyes fixed on him in a pleading gaze he was finding it increasingly difficult to look at.

Amazed at his own actions, he took her hand and tried to comfort her, although he wasn't sure why he was doing it. Maybe it was simply because he hated to see people suffer. That had to be it. Looking down at the hand in his, he mumbled, "Things are rocky right now, sure. But they're gonna' get better. I've seen you guys at work, and I've gotta tell ya' that you're not doing a bad job."

His words didn't exactly receive the reaction he expected. As he looked back into her face, he was startled to see a very angry princess staring back at him. In one swift mot

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    That's it Han. Leave now and don't look back. You gotta believe me, there's some bad stuff ahead if you hang around.

6. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    Hmm, how did I miss this yesterday?

I wonder how far Han will go before running back?

7. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    YOU POSTED!!! YEA!! Loved it! Next please.

I think Leia needs a hug, Luke needs some drugs, and Han needs a nap.

8. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    KnightMara, I love your posts! Especially in the last two, your banter between Han and Leia was completely in character and very well-placed. The other side of Leia is a wonderful one as well; sometimes, through all that bravado, we forget that there's really a sensitive person hidden under the Princess's strong and stubborn façade!

Thank you so much for posting even though you are short on time; one post of yours is so satisfying that it can last a long time. OH, and congrats on your engagement! =)

9. Dark_Luke_Junkie

Dark_Luke_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2000
    WOW! Just found this thread and let me say, I am truly amazed! I've caught some of your work on Fanfiction.net, KnightMara (and *loved* it, of course!) but I had no idea you were a poster here on JC. Silly me! Now I have to dig through your records and find any other wonderful threads of yours I've missed! :)

By the way, this is a superb portrayal of Han! Luke is generally my favorite character, but you certainly have a way of getting inside Han's head that makes me want to hear more from him. All of his expressions are perfect -- I can 'see' the action unfolding and his reactions... Everything's very real!

There, now that I've babbled, I'm going to shut up and patiently (er... maybe *not* so patiently) await another post with the rest of your loyal readers!

~D_L_J

10. Luke85

Luke85 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    WOW! This is one of the best stories I have ever read. I feel sorry for Luke though. Catching the Corellian Flu just because he lived on Tatooine. I need another post! PLEASE?

11. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    whew finally getting caught up! :) that was great knightmara, i always liked han more when he was stubborn and selfish

12. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    LOL Vergere!!!

13. Artemis

Artemis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2000
    Terrific stuff, KnightMara! Your characterization is always so well-done!

Herman, you crack me up. Vergere, you too.

Here's hoping your computer, like Luke, will make a recovery so we can have some more installments. =)

14. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    hey artemis haven't seen you in a while :)

15. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Oh, lovely, some real, proper, honest-to-goodness Han/Luke/Leia! KnightMara, it is soooo good to see the threesome in action again. I love the banter, I love the characterisations, and I love the way it fits into the movies.

Oh, and congrats on the engagement, too!

16. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Thanks HaiGan, and welcome aboard!

All of my stories deal with the characters from the original trilogy, so if you liked this one, I can try to dig up some of my older ones. :)

I'm glad you are all enjoying this, and I'm trying to work on another post. I start my "vacation" on Thursday, so I should have a bit more time to work on this. I'll be working part time and travelling a bit during the break, but it will be a far cry better than the time limits I have now! So expect a post by Thursday or Friday at the latest!

17. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    WOW! I just found this story AND I LOVE IT. Is this really your first Han-centered piece? 'cos you write him perfectly. DO MORE...uhm please. :)

18. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    *crosses fingers* thursday post, thursday post...

19. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Sorry it's taken so long. You know how the holidays can get.

Here's the next post. Merry Christmas!

By the time Han was able to make it through the crowded and harried halls of the base to the Falcon, his resolve had hardened to steel. He was leaving, and there wasn?t a single being in the whole galaxy that could change his mind. He was as good as gone.

There was just one small problem.

"Chewie!" was all Han could manage to scream as he entered the hangar and gazed upon his beloved ship. Wires dangled from opened hatches on her belly, and cables were strewn across the upper hull as muffled banging noises could be heard echoing through the metal plating. Han?s temper flared as he roared again. "Chewie!"

He heard the Wookie?s questioning growl a few seconds before his furry head appeared upside down from one of the opened bottom hatches.

"What are you doin??" Han cried in disbelief as he crossed the distance between himself and the Wookie in two strides. "I?m tryin? to get us out of here, and you?re tearin? her apart!"

Chewie?s explanation was far from satisfying.

"I don?t care if you think she needed maintenance," growled Han in response. "She was flyin? fine before, and now she ain?t flyin? at all!" Gesturing to the wires and cables and dangling pieces of metal, he continued, "What, you had to go tearin? her apart with out sayin? a word to me about if first? Get me stuck here on this forsaken planet with these idiots who think that a galactic war is the answer to all their problems? I got debts I gotta pay, pall! I can?t be hangin? around here waitin? for these folks to get themselves blown up by the Empire! I mean, look at this place!"

At that moment, Chewie seemed to lose his temper with Han and began to throw some angry comments of his own. Han waved him aside.

"First of all, pal, I can?t take ya? seriously hangin? upside down like that," Han sneered. "Second, you swore a life debt to me, not them. Now, I?ve tried to get rid of ya? before, so if you?d rather cast your lot with a bunch of doomed idealists, no one?s stoppin? ya?!"

With that, Chewie dropped down out of the hatch and advanced on Han, towering over him menacingly. For a split second, Han was terrified that he?d gone too far in his tirade, letting his mouth get the better of his brain. However, Chewie merely growled that he must might cast his lot with these rebels before storming out of the hangar, leaving Han to stare at his retreating bulk and wonder once more about the pit he seemed to be digging himself further and further into.

Turning back toward the mess that was the Falcon, Han mused that he?d been doing a lot of wondering lately. Never before had he seemed to question his actions and motives as much as he did now. His life had been so simple. He?d been through hell once before, and in his resolve to never experience that again he?d managed to carve out an existence that was free of complications. He had his ship, his income, and his copilot, and no attachments. The life every guy dreams of. Now, however, his life seemed to be riddled with complications, contradictions, and everything else that gave his mind pause. How was it that in the course of just two months, his life had been so drastically altered?

"Captain Solo?"

Han spun around to locate the source of the voice that had just pulled him out of his thoughts. The young medic who had come about the Falcon earlier now stood in front of him.

"Yeah?" Han managed. He wasn?t really interested in talking to any rebel, least of all this guy who had come across as brash and arrogant, in spite of his help with Luke.

The medic seemed to be looking beyond him. "Quite a job you have here, huh?" he asked, meeting Han?s gaze and indicating the Falcon.

Han stared at him squarely and answered, "Yeah, well, my copilot decided to do some last minute repairs. You know, to get her up to peak efficiency."

The medic grinned. "And that would be the angry Wookie who just passed me in the corridor?"

Fed up, Han

20. Jee-dai

Jun 8, 2000
    Yeah!! You posted!! :)

Hmm, do I sense Han is going to take a big portion of his confusion and frustrations out on poor Luke?

21. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Han, don't take any crap from that little punk. Fry him like you did Greedo.

22. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Great characterization of Han. Thanks for the Christmas present of a post. Yeah!

23. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Well, since it's still Christmas on the West Coast, I figure I'll post just one more for the holiday. I just finished writing it.

Thanks for your comments and your patience, guys!

Pale and still, Luke was asleep in a private room in the medcenter. Apparently, there was still a bit of fear of contagion, so they were keeping him isolated from the rest of the patients. Han had had to convince the droid on duty that he was both fully immunized and conscientious enough not to wake the young rebel in order to enter the room. Now, gazing at the kid?s unconscious form, Han wondered why he?d even bothered to come. After all, Luke may have asked for him, but he was pretty much out of commission at the moment, so there wasn?t much purpose in Han?s being there. In addition, the kid?s fever may have broken, but he still looked far too sick and weak to hold any sort of conversation, even if he?d been awake. Feeling stupid for being there, but somehow unable to leave, Han pulled up a chair and waited for some sign from the young rebel.

As he sat and gazed upon the sleeping kid, Han noted that he looked pretty worn. Dark circles rested beneath closed lids that fluttered furiously in some dream-filled sleep. His clothes had been replaced by a medcenter gown that seemed to accent the fact that he was far too thin, and his pale features only made it worse. Had the kid been eating and sleeping at all before getting sick? Han hadn?t noticed anything before, but his appearance was far too altered to be solely the result of the illness. Granted, Corellian Influenza was nasty business, but the kid had only been sick for little more than a day. Surely it was impossible to lose as much weight as Luke appeared to have lost in so little time. And the kid hadn?t been all that big to begin with. Han frowned at the thought. Just a short while earlier, he?d come to realize that the all-mighty Princess was not as impervious as he?d initially thought. Did perennially cheerful Luke have a hidden dark side as well?

Just then, as if in answer, the kid stirred in his sleep. A slight wheeze accompanied Luke?s sharp intake of breath as he shifted, frowning as though in the grip of a nightmare.

"No, please," the kid moaned softly, beginning to tense. Han watched as Luke began to clench his fists, whispering, "Don?t."

Han?s own expression turned to a frown as he watched Luke in concern. Worried, he gently placed a finger on the kid?s forehead, just to make sure that the fever wasn?t returning. It wasn?t, for the kid was cool, much cooler than he?d been aboard the Falcon a few hours ago. Yet, he continued to moan and toss in his sleep.

"No, don?t," the kid continued to plead to someone or something in his nightmare. His head tossed back and forth on the pillow and his frown deepened, as though he was trying to shut out what he was seeing in his dream. "No," he groaned, louder this time, although his illness had turned his voice into more of a croak than a cry.

Han turned his glance toward the door, wondering if he should get the droid into the room, when Luke?s sudden cry startled him.

"Uncle O?" Luke?s panicked shout died on his lips the split second his eyes flew open, staring in wide-eyed panic at the ceiling. Han watched as Luke?s face showed his mind?s frantic search to get his bearings.

Han uncertainly placed a hand on Luke?s shoulder in an attempt to help him reorient himself. At the touch, the kid flinched and his blue eyes jumped to Han.

Almost instantaneously, the kid relaxed, coughing a little as his breathing slowed at the familiar sight of the smuggler. "Han," the kid?s broken voice spoke in relieved tones. "What are you doing here?"

Han?s face warmed in self-conscious embarrassment at the kid?s obvious delight at seeing him there. "Uh, you asked for me, kid," Han replied, not knowing what else to say.

Luke gave him a puzzled look. "I did?"

Han smirked, feeling a mixture of annoyance and amusement. "Well, that?s what the medic said."

Luke shrugged.

24. Jee-dai

Jun 8, 2000
    Hmm, so Luke has been dealing with problems of his own...

I like how Han is so touched by Luke's pleasure at seeing him.

I wonder how the encounter with the Princess will go?

25. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I wonder too. :) Can't wait to see what happens...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.