main
side
curve

A Change of Plans: OT Fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by KnightMara, Oct 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    "Did perennially cheerful Luke have a hidden dark side as well?"

hehe...more than you know, Han.

very nice gift, knightmara, im happy! :) so...will Han change now?
    and what was luke's dream? something about owen...

2. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    This is a bit shorter than the others, but I'm really trying to work on crafting the next scene before posting it, and it's becoming a difficult endeavor. I hope this installment doesn't leave you hanging too much. :)

Han stared at the diminutive princess as she vainly attempted to formulate a response to his unexpected presence in the medcenter. He wouldn?t have thought it possible, but she looked even more worn and fatigued than she had earlier. He was sure her small emotional outburst earlier had something to do with it, but she was still trying to present the outward vision of a strong and capable leader. Glassy eyes and darkening patch of skin near the gash on her face which seemed to be blending into the dark circles above her pale cheeks seemed to contradict all her efforts. A frustrated scowl grew on her face as she continued to gaze at Han wearily, still unable to say anything. Feeling it best not to interrupt her search for words, he waited until she spoke.

"What are you?" she began. "I mean, why are you?uh, that is . . .." She frustratedly pushed back an errant strand of hair before finally stammering, "How is he?"

Han jerked a thumb behind him to indicate Luke?s room. "Asleep right now. But he should be fine in a few days. Give it some time." He noted the almost miniscule slump of her shoulders in relief, and for the second time that day he worried that she was about to simply collapse in exhaustion. "You look like you could use some rest yourself, your Highness."

Her response was as expected. Drawing herself up, she bit out, "I?m fine, Captain."

Han sighed, his own frustrations and fatigue creeping back up on him. "You know, you?re a real piece of work, your Worshipfulness!"

"Me?" Leia demanded.

"Yeah, you!" Han retorted. "You know, you break down earlier, you look practically dead on your feet, and when a guy conveys just a little bit of concern . . .."

"Well, I didn?t realize you were being concerned," the Princess shot back. "Normally you are just being condescending. Sorry if I misinterpreted the eloquent words of the marvelous Han Solo!"

Resisting the urge to shoot another barb her way out of genuine regard for her fragile state, he simply replied, "Apology accepted, then, your Worship."

Leia blew out an angry breath and put her hand to her forehead. "Why are you so difficult?"

"Hey," Han countered, "you ain?t exactly a stroll through a rose garden yourself, your Highnessness."

"Yeah, well at least I?m someone you can count on when the chips are down, instead of threatening to blast off at every turn."

Han smiled sarcastically. "I haven?t left yet, have I?"

She dropped her hand and glared. "What?s keeping you?"

"Your charming personality," he drawled.

"Ugh," she groaned. "I don?t have time for this."

Han laughed bitterly. "Well, you sure as hell seem to make time every chance you get. Come on, admit it, you?re going to miss arguing with me when I?m gone."

"I don?t know," Leia shot back, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Leave and I?ll send you my report!"

Han shook his head. "You know, I was never very good at doing what people told me to."

Leia continued to glare. "No kidding."

With that, Han took a step closer to her and glared right back. He had two choices, as he saw it. Cut her down right then and there, or try to help her get past this cranky, bitter, frustrated rut she?d gotten herself into. The first seemed most enjoyable, with an immediate payoff and potentially dynamic results. In any other set of circumstances, it would be the only course of action the typical Han Solo would take. However, in his own current state of frustration and pent-up anxieties, the second option looked nearly as promising. Granted, the Princess could be a horrendous pill to swallow; but one had to admit that she was unquestionably beautiful. If he could help her through all this mess that she had gotten herself into, that would put him in prime position as far as she was concerned. So what if

3. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Oh... you *must* continue soon!!! I'm loving this! :)

4. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    "you ain?t exactly a stroll through a rose garden yourself"

that was one of the best lines yet to come out of his mouth! :D

yes, moremoremore please.

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Nooooooooooooo!

Han my boy, get as far away from her as you can. Trust me, I've seen the future and it ain't pretty.

And I know you're not going to get along with your future father-in-law. :)

KnightMara, stop posting so much. You're making some of us look bad. ;)

6. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Hehehe, Herman, I write when I have time. And right now, I have time. :)

Thanks for the encouragement Boushh and Vergere. Don't worry, there is definitely more to come.

7. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    KnightMara, I am sorry I haven't been keeping up with this! You are such a great writer!

8. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Sorry to do this to you, Herman, but I'm posting again! :) hehehe

I'm trying to finish this story while I'm on break, since I don't know how crazy my life is going to get once I go back to work. So here goes:

"I like what you?ve done to her."

Han looked at the Princess coldly, trying to ignore her sarcastic remark about his ship, but losing his ability to do so. He still had her by the wrist and was dragging her toward the landing ramp, trying to avoid the dangling cables in the process.

"Han, would you please let me go now?" she hollered icily. "I really don?t see what you are?"

Cutting her off, he put a finger to her lips. "Shhhh."

The responding look she gave clearly conveyed the fact that she thought he was utterly insane. However, she didn?t say another word as he continued to pull her into the Falcon.

Han was certainly beginning to question his own sanity. It was just as well, for this had most definitely been the craziest day of his life. Tired after spending nine hours nursing a sick rebel, angry for getting into several arguments with his best friend and copilot, and frustrated after dealing with Her Royal Pain-in-the-Neck, he had just about reached his own breaking point. Moving solely on instinct and refusing to sort out the jumbled mass of confusing notions that was his brain at the moment, he headed for the galley. He reached into one of the storage units and grabbed a bottle and two glasses by feel before heading over to the holochess table. With little ceremony, he pushed Leia into a seat.

"Sit," he ordered, after seeing her shocked expression and her slight motion to get up.

The Princess only stared at him in disbelief.

Setting the two shot glasses on the table, he quickly uncapped the bottle and poured.

The Princess took that moment to read the label. "Bethalian Whiskey?"

Without a glance at her, he took up his glass. "Yup. Best in the galaxy."

"Is this supposed to be some kind of Corellian seduction?" she intoned sarcastically. "Because I?m not impressed."

Han met her fiery gaze with one of his own, and replied, "Nope. That?s what the brandy is for." He winked, explaining, "Just thought I could use a drink." Then he raised his glass in a parody of a toast. "And you could use one yourself, Your Highness," he added before swallowing the contents of his glass and pouring himself another.

The Princess just continued to stare. "You?ve got to be kidding, Solo."

Taking another shot of whiskey, he asked, "Do I look like I?m kidding?"

Instead of answering, the Princess looked down at her own glass of amber-colored liquid. To Han?s utter amazement, she picked up the glass and shrugged her shoulders. Shifting her gaze to his own shocked stare, she toasted, "Cheers, then," and drank it off.

Han laughed in total awe as she shuddered only briefly before setting the empty glass back down on the table. "Whoa, Your Worship! That?s pretty impressive."

Leia responded with a smug grin that impressed him even more. "Well, to be honest, Captain, I?m not overly fond of whiskey. I?m usually a wine-drinker, myself." She paused, helping herself to the bottle in order to refill her glass. "But, I?ll be the first to admit that it?s been a rather trying day."

Han smiled, the warmth of the whiskey in his chest putting him a little more at ease. "I?ll say."

They each swallowed their drinks, and Han began to refill their glasses once more. They sat in silence, nursing their drinks for a while before he noticed that Leia was studying him.

"What?"

Leia favored him with a smile that was almost, but not quite, as big as the smiles she normally reserved for Luke. "Thank you," she said quietly.

Han cocked his head, unable to resist the urge to push her buttons, just a little bit. "Is that all I get after all I?ve gone through today?"

"Yes," laughed the young woman, obviously trying to fight the giddiness that was creeping up on her. "And don?t push it, or I?ll take even that small token back. Besides, did

9. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Two posts so close together? About my favorite couple? Today was a great day! :)

10. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Wow!!!! These posts were great!!! I just caught up from christmas. Oooh, not to put the pressure on but keep 'em coming! I LOVE THIS!

11. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems.

Boy oh boy Han, bet you didn't know you were sitting down with a power drinker, did ya? Although you realize that now that you've seen her drunk she's going to hate you for it. Control freaks don't like it when people see them out of control.

As for you KnightMara, I'm going to go do some writing on my own story so you won't be able to show me up anymore. So there. :p

12. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    great job KnightMara...i never fathomed that Han would give her a drink!

13. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Great as usual.
    So how much longer is your vacation?

14. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Well, guys, I'm going to be out of town and more than likely away from a computer for the next three days while I visit my parents. But I promise to have a new post up either Sunday night or Monday morning.

Don't let the story sink too far in the meantime. :)

And, Herman, I could never make you look bad. ;)

15. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    I love your posts, KnightMara, they're so descriptive! Especially the Luke-torture...poor guy, I wonder what he was dreaming about. And this story is really going to cement the triad of friends those three will form, it looks to go right along with the movies, making them even better...

Okay. I'll admit it. I'm enjoying the Luke torture. So sue me. =)

And I like how we get a deeper glimpse into Leia's psyche. She's such an interesting person (I think you're kinda right in calling her a control freak, though, Herman) and it's almost funny how Han reasons with himself about why he likes her and refuses to see what's right in front of him. =p

I'm also enjoying this wealth of posts! Thanks so much, it's like a delicious treat every time I come by. And to real so much of this story at a time is just blissful. Thank you very much for giving your time and creativity to us, it is very much appreciated!!

*sits there smiling like a loon*

16. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Here's a (relatively) short post to tide you guys over until I can finish the next segment. I had no idea how long this story was getting! Sheesh!

Anyway, here goes:

"Get clear, Wedge! You can?t do any more good back there!" Luke?s voice crackled through the comm.

"Sorry."

Han glanced around to see that he was back aboard the Millennium Falcon, blasting away from Yavin and listening to the transmissions from the Rebel Squadrons on the Death Star?s surface. He had his cargo of precious metals, and nothing was going to stop him from delivering them to Jabba the Hutt. Perhaps now he could get back into that slimy slug?s good graces. He?d been in the hot seat since he?d had to drop that last shipment. This time, it would be smooth sailing for him and Chewie. He looked over toward his copilot?s seat with a grin, only to find it empty.

That was right. He?d left Chewie back on Yavin to help these stupid Rebels out in their pointless attack. He?d tried to convince him that it was never going to work. He?d tried to get Chewie to come with him, knowing only too well that the jungle moon was about to suffer the same fate as Alderaan. Stolen plans or no stolen plans, snub-fighters didn?t stand a chance against that monstrosity. Hell, he?d been on board that thing along with the others. Why couldn?t they see what he could?

Instead, they had refused to open their eyes to the futility of this whole attack, and he had left.

"Hurry, Luke, they?re coming in much faster this time. I can?t hold them!"

"Artoo, try and increase the power!" Luke?s voice sounded panicked.

Han shook his head. "Well, I?d be panicked, too, kid! You?re about to be shot down by Imps!"

"Hurry up, Luke!"

Han couldn?t see what was going on down there, but he had a pretty good idea.

"Wait!"

Static filled the headset where that other voice had once been. Sounded like Luke was the only one left. Poor kid, he didn?t stand a chance.

"His computer?s off. Luke, you switched off your targeting computer. What?s wrong?"

Now what was the crazy kid up to?

"Nothing. I?m all right."

Han shuddered against the knowledge that this was a suicide mission. The kid was about to get himself killed, and everyone on that moon was going to go down with him.

"I?ve lost Artoo!"

Han shut his eyes, every fiber of his body suddenly aching with loss, as he knew that they were all as good as dead. Pain filled him, and he knew he couldn?t let this happen! This wasn?t right. He wasn?t supposed to let this happen! He had to do something!

Opening his eyes, he seized the controls, preparing to go back into the fray. He had to save them before it was too late. Luke. Chewie. Leia. They were all going to die unless he rescued them. Glancing at the control panel in horror, he realized that it was completely frozen. The ship was headed out into space, and he couldn?t turn around. He reached for the intercom, trying to shut if off so he wouldn?t have to hear the inevitable. It, too, refused to budge.

A scream filled his ears. Luke?s scream. The kid was dead.

"The Death Star has cleared the planet. The Death Star has cleared the planet."

No. This wasn?t supposed to happen. The kid was too young to die!

The others!

Suddenly he was watching the control room of the rebel base. He could see Chewie wrapping his protective arms around the tiny princess, her face etched with grief and terror. She knew it was over, as did the Wookie. No, not them! Not them! He couldn?t be left alone! The viewscreen showed a discharge of energy from the space station a split second before the scene in front of him disintegrated in a grisly spectacle of fire.

"NO!"

Han jerked awake, gasping for breath as he tried desperately to orient himself to time and location while shaking off the aftereffects of the dream. Looking about, he realized he had fallen asleep in the cockpit of the Falcon. Blinking his eyes, he rubbed a hand across his face and was not surprised to find it

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Han having nightmares. I liked that what if scenerio of the battle of Yavin. Very good.

18. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    luke's not getting better?! :(

heh..i want to see han and chewie fight it out

great job!

19. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    Luke's still really sick?! Yea!!!!!!:) I can't wait!!

I can't belive I missed those last posts! They where great!!!

Congrats on your 2 wins at the JC Awards KnightMara!! You earned them!!

Bring on the next part!

20. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Han old buddy, it was just a dream. The Rebels don't need you. Get away, far away.

Sure the Rebels will make you a General, but you'll lose the coolness factor once they thaw you out.

Whoops, you didn't hear that from me. ;)

21. Jargonn

Jargonn Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2000
    I loved that dream sequence, and the part with Han and Leia on the Falcon, very well written. I can just imagine Han's mind tumbling end over end in confusion, unsure of what is going on inside of him, though the answer is actually quite clear.
    I'm looking forward to more!

22. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    RebelMom: Thanks . . . that was my first official dream sequence!

Vergere: Having succumbed to strep-throat over the holiday break (just in time to ruin my New Years Eve plans), I figured I'd make Luke's recovery a little more realistic. . so, yes, he's still sick (since I just started getting better today).

Lady Callie: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Herman: You continue to crack me up.

Jargonn: Well, I love inner-turmoil, and nobody ever seems to focus on Han's drastic shift from mercenary to caring rogue all that much, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

And here's a brief post (well, brief in comparison to the one's I usually post here):

Han entered the medcenter and paused before heading for Luke?s room. Just what had he come down here for? He wasn?t even sure of the shape Luke was in right now. Was he up to talking? Would he be whiny and cranky like he was on the Falcon? And why did he want to talk to the kid in the first place? He shook his head and leaned against the wall. When had life gotten so complicated? He pondered these things as he stared at the hallway to Luke?s room. Figuring that the answers would probably make themselves known eventually?and at the most inopportune time, no doubt?he proceeded down the hall. As he neared the door, he noticed a dark-haired kid was just leaving. Pausing a moment to try to see who it was, Han grinned when the kid turned around and he was able to recognize him. Two smug Corellians in small corridor? What were the odds?

"Captain Solo," Wedge said with a smile as soon as he spotted Han. "Didn?t expect to see you here."

"Just checking up on my cargo," Han replied with a gesture toward Luke?s room.

Wedge laughed. "Well, I?ve seen better, Captain."

"Hey," Han countered with a wink, "I got ?im back here in one piece, didn?t I?"

"Barely," groaned the younger man. "We?re gonna have to evac with one of our best pilots down, thanks to you."

"Hey, it ain?t my fault your guys never did their job in makin? sure this kid got all his shots." He paused. "So they?re really going to evacuate the base?"

Wedge nodded. "That?s the word. The shield generator has gone faulty since the crash, and we don?t know how long it will keep running. Blue squad picked up a fleet of Imps moving just outside the system, so it doesn?t look good. With the generator acting up like it is, who knows what kinds of signals the Imps are picking up."

Han frowned. "Doesn?t sound good at all."

"I?d say we?ll be out of here in three days."

The older Corellian whistled in amazement. "That soon, huh?"

Wedge nodded again. "Expect a scramble once it?s announced."

"And the kid?" asked Han, indicating Luke once more.

"He?s out for a week, at best," replied Wedge.

"A week?" Han couldn?t believe that. "You?re joking."

Shaking his head, Wedge explained, "This is Corellian Influenza we?re dealin? with here. And Corellian diseases are like Corellian drinks: they knock you off your feet for a while."

"He?s no better at all?"

"Well, he?s a lot better than he was when you first brought him in here, that?s for sure," Wedge agreed. "But, then again, he was just this side of death when you brought him in, too."

"He was still alive, though, and that?s what matters," Han retorted.

"Yeah, but we?re still short a pilot," Wedge countered with a laugh. "Not unless you want to fill in for him."

"In one of those X-wings of yours?" Han snorted. "Not on your life."

"Too comfy with your ship, eh, Captain?"

Han grinned. "Nah, I just don?t trust one of yours."

Laughing, Wedge clapped him on the back. "Well, see you around, Captain."

Han nodded and headed for the door to Luke?s room.

23. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Just doing what I do best KnightMara. :)

Han, buddy, pal. Now that you've got some time to kill, why don't you tell me how to make some of those Corellian drinks.

24. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Depends on whether or not you are underage, Herman! ;)

Well, since I go back to school tomorrow, I'm posting hastily because I don't know when I'm going to get a chance to write the next part. Unfortunately, that means that for those of you who are waiting for the Han/Leia showdown, you may have a bit of a wait. Hopefully, though, I'll be able to write a small bit this weekend. At least, that's my plan.

Until then, here's the next Han/Luke segment (and don't worry, there is a Han/Chewie showdown in the planning stages):

He entered to find Luke resting limply on the bed, grumbling some form of complaint as a 4-1B droid took blood samples from his arm. Han grimaced as he noted that the kid certainly didn?t look any better than he had the last time he?d been by. In fact, he looked slightly thinner and paler than he had the other day. The blue eyes that frowned up at the droid were dull and lifeless. The only thing that reassured him was the distinct whine that accompanied Luke?s scratchy voice.

"Ow. Is this really necessary?" the kid complained to the droid.

"Yes, sir," the droid calmly replied, continuing its task.

"Ugh," Luke groaned. "This whole situation is bad enough without you jabbing me with a needle every few hours."

"Sir," the droid spoke, "we need to constantly monitor your white cell count, your enzymes, and . . .."

"Yeah, I know," interrupted Luke weakly.

"Not happy with the room service here, kid?" Han broke in.

Luke turned his head toward Han?s voice. A thin smile formed on his lips at his friend?s humor.

"I?m not sure I should criticize while he holds a needle in my arm," Luke replied.

The droid lifted its metallic face toward the two men. "Wise decision, sir."

Han stared dumbly at the droid for a moment, then laughed. "Since when did they program these things with a sense of humor?"

Luke gave a wry grin. "Sadistic streak is more like it."

"I am finished, sir," the 4-1B commented as it turned away and bustled out of the room with the blood samples.

"Thank the Force," Luke sighed. He leaned back on the pillows, pulling his right arm back under the covers with a slight shiver.

"Cold, kid?" Han asked with concern. The figure in the bed before him seemed fragile and almost translucent in his pallor. Hardly the energetic farm boy who?d run headlong into a prison corridor to rescue a princess.

"Not bad," the kid replied with a slight shake of his head.

Han studied him for a moment, noting that he still seemed to be trembling slightly and hugging his arms to his chest beneath the blankets that covered him. Reaching toward the foot of the bed, Han snatched the folded blanket that rested there and draped it over Luke?s shivering form. Luke half-smiled, an expression that conveyed both gratefulness and embarrassment.

"Just in case," Han remarked lightly, his voice sounding more carefree than he felt at the moment as he sat at the foot of the bed.

"Thanks," Luke whispered. He lay quietly for a moment before he added, "I guess you were right."

Han was puzzled. "About what?"

"About me being sick," answered the kid with a weak smile. "I am."

Han smiled at his slight joke. "You can say that again." He placed a hand on Luke?s shoulder. "But couldn?t you have come down with something a little less dramatic than Corellian Influenza?"

"Leia joked that she was worried I?d come back from the trip with some of your worse Corellian traits," Luke replied. "They don?t get much worse than this."

"Boy, you said it, kid," Han remarked with a shake of his head, glancing down at the hand that rested on the kid?s shoulder. Even through the blankets, it was too thin. "They feedin? you much in here?"

Luke grimaced. "IV drips, mostly. The fever is still coming and going, and I?m having a hard time getting anything down and keeping it there." He took a deep breath, as his voice was getting noticeably weaker. "But they?re pumping me with enough stuff to keep me going."

Han nodded mutely. The kid was

25. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    AWWWWW! Luke you sweetheart! Always thinking of others when you should be worrying about yourself.

I loved it!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.