main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Child of My Own - Beru's diary - updated 12/17 - Beru, Owen, Luke

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Jade_eyes Time enough for Owen to figure that out. :p

LilyHobbitJedi If I'm not mistaken, it's canon that Owen removes the stones. But then again, I might have mixed up canon and fan fic. It happens. [face_laugh]

Alexis_Wingstar We'll see that conversation eventually! ;)

earlybird-obi-wan They'll be chatting soon! :D

JediKaren Okay, here you go! ;)

dancing_star I'm not sure if Owen and Obi will ever kick back and shares some brewskies, but maybe they'll learn not to hate each other. :p

Meredith_Kenobi
    Wouldn't that have been wonderful!? But only if they were away from the farm on the day that Beru and Owen were killed. :_| (Oh great, a plot bunny....)

divapilot Beru has always been one of my very favorite characters. I love writing her. :)

Jade_Pilot She's a great character, isn't she??

KELIA Owen is doing what he thinks is best. They just can't agree on what that is exactly.

Gina Beru is a mom, and I can relate to that part of her.

ginchy We'll see them together eventually!

[b]Entry #6[/b]

We were fortunate. The sand storm left us with some cleaning to do, but we were all fine. Thanks in part to Obi-Wan, but I don?t mention that around Owen. He already knows, and talking about it is only going to make him angry. Again.

Another farming family, the Tockwers, lost a son. The poor boy was lost in the sands, just a few meters from the house. That?s the frightening thing about sandstorms, you can be just meters away from safety and life and you never know it because you can?t see anything past the sand.

Jufu Tockwer was only sixteen. I can?t imagine what his mother is feeling right now. I don?t [i]want[/i] to imagine. Owen told me that he?s going over there tomorrow to offer our condolences.

That?s when the trouble started.

When I said I wanted to go too, he got that bantha stubborn look on his face. He kept telling me that Luke was too young to take on a trip, no matter how short. I reminded him that I?d been born and raised on Tatooine, and if my mother had felt comfortable taking us places when we were little, then we?d might as well take our example from her since she?d manage to raise us all to adulthood without major injuries.

Then he reminded me of what had happened to Shmi, right here on the farm. ?My father died in that Tusken camp just as much as Shmi did!? he yelled. And the loudness of his voice, or maybe in the anger in it, made Luke start crying. That was enough to calm us both down, though in the end, we just sort of glared at each other. I think the stress of the storm and becoming new parents is beginning to tell on us.

For the first time, I think I realize just how vulnerable my love for Luke makes me. How vulnerable it makes us, because Owen is no more able to resist loving Luke as a son than I am.

Really, as protective as I am of Luke, I almost think that Owen is worse. He hovers over that crib when he thinks I won?t catch him. It?s not just the normal stuff he worries about, I think. But the future. And what Luke will become.

Owen fears that he?ll want to be a Jedi. Owen can?t stand that thought, for all he knows of the life of a Jedi is the danger in it. We?ve only known two Jedi in our lives ? Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Neither was given a particularly kind fate.

Maybe Owen is right to be scared.

Later:

Owen came in while I was feeding Luke and mumbled something about us being ready to leave for the Tockwers? place first thing in the morning. He wasn?t happy about it, but he?s willing to give in on this. I suppose he sees the sense in my words, either that or he?s afraid to get me too riled up. I don?t lose my temper very often, but when I do it tends to be a long storm.

Luke has calmed down since [i]we[/i] have gotten calmer. Maybe it?s because his father was a Jedi, or maybe all babies are this way, but he picks up on our moods and reacts accordingly. It?s a good rem

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Yes, it looks like the stress of their situation is starting to take its toll. I like how Beru stood up to Owen, though. ;)

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Owen should learn more about the Jedi and how they really were. Maybe then he wouldn't be that angry.

Awful tragedy with that sandstorm.

4. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    For the first time, I think I realize just how vulnerable my love for Luke makes me. How vulnerable it makes us, because Owen is no more able to resist loving Luke as a son than I am.

Who couldn't love Luke? [face_love]

I like seeing how much Beru and Owen love Luke and how they're both so protective of him. Another great update! =D= =D=

5. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I love your characterization of this family! It's so rare to read this kind of fic about Beru and Owen.

Well done! =D=

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Beautiful update. [face_love]

Really, as protective as I am of Luke, I almost think that Owen is worse. He hovers over that crib when he thinks I won?t catch him. It?s not just the normal stuff he worries about, I think. But the future. And what Luke will become.

Owen fears that he?ll want to be a Jedi. Owen can?t stand that thought, for all he knows of the life of a Jedi is the danger in it. We?ve only known two Jedi in our lives ? Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Neither was given a particularly kind fate.

I think that's it in a nutshell what defines Owen's relationship with Luke. He loves Luke and wants to protect him from danger.

Owen came in while I was feeding Luke and mumbled something about us being ready to leave for the Tockwers? place first thing in the morning. He wasn?t happy about it, but he?s willing to give in on this. I suppose he sees the sense in my words, either that or he?s afraid to get me too riled up. I don?t lose my temper very often, but when I do it tends to be a long storm.

[face_laugh] Yeah, it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.

I can't wait for more. :D

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for showing Owen caring even though it's the last thing he wants her to notice LOL But Beru doesn't miss a thing ;) and she's right; they do need to stick together. :)

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Jufu Tockwer was only sixteen

:_| :_| :_| :_|

How cruel life on Tatooine can be to all ages.

I'm glad Owen gave in on Beru and Luke accompanying him to the Tockwer's. I'm sure they need all the support they can get.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Lovely update, Vadey!! [face_love] @};- It was so sad though to hear about the Tockwer boy. :_|
    I liked Beru and Owen's protectiveness for Luke. LilyHobbitJedi is right. Who couldn't love Luke? [face_love]
    Excellent update! Hugs!![:D]
    =D==D==D==D=

10. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    I love were you're going with this! [face_love] It just keeps getting better as things 'settle', not only that but it becomes even more captivating by the chapter. ^^ So, could you please add me to the PM list as well?

11. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    And they do it, too. They stick together until the very end. [face_love] The very tragic end....:( Okay, none of that...Think positive thoughts...

That poor family! Losing their son like that. :_| And he was so close to safety!! That's horrificly tragic. Perhaps the Lars's can provide this grieving family with some comfort.

I can't wait for more, VaderLVR64.:D

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Gina She's got her own strength, and Owen knows it! ;)

earlybird-obi-wan Owen has both too much and too little experience with Jedi. Too much comes from knowing that the Order took Anakin away from his beloved step-mother. Too little in that he thinks the Jedi should have done more to prevent Anakin's fate.

LilyHobbitJedi Oh yes, they love him very much!

Jade_Pilot It's different for me too, and I'm enjoying it SO much! :)

Alexis_Wingstar That Beru, you don't want to cross her! [face_shame_on_you]

Jade_eyes Only love, and fear, could have driven Owen to protect Luke so fiercely!

KELIA Exactly, and Beru knows that.

dancing_star He's a very lovable little fellow. [face_love]

padawan_learner86 Will do!

Meredith_Kenobi Happy thoughts, happy thoughts... [face_whistling]

[b]Entry #7[/b]

The death rites were difficult. Every farming family that could make it was there. As I said, we are not close to each other physically, but we stick together in bad times. Some of these same families lost loved ones when Cliegg went chasing after Shmi. We don?t forget their sacrifice, and they know we would not hesitate to do the same in return.

Life is hard here on Tatooine, and the only way to make it through is to work together. Luke may not have siblings, though we would welcome them if the goddess gave us that gift. But he?ll have many people he can turn to ? not just Owen or me. I hope he will find happiness here, though we will never be rich and can never give him the things his own real mother would have given him.

Real. His [i]real[/i] mother.

That?s what puzzles me. I [i]feel[/i] real enough as his mother. It?s true I didn?t feel him grow inside of me. I did not feel him kick and turn, growing larger by the month. I did not suffer to bring him into the galaxy. It was not my own tears and sweat and blood that were shed for him.

But I?m his mother. I am. I know this, though the universe may not call me ?real.? A part of me feels guilty at my certainty. Another part, a [i]larger[/i] part takes comfort in the belief that Padmé would not begrudge me this feeling. In fact, I think she would be glad that Luke has found a place not only in our home, but in our hearts.

And I know that Shmi would want us to raise Luke as our [i]own[/i], just as she tried to do for Owen, though he was already mostly grown when Shmi came into his life. She took Owen into her heart and now I accept her grandson in the same spirit.

Often, when I am the only one awake and I go up to stare up at the desert night sky, I imagine that Shmi and Padmé are looking down on us, giving us their blessing. And I hope that they can rest in peace, because Luke will be loved and taken care of, even if they aren?t here to do it.

It comforts me, that image. It gives me strength. Owen?s love bolsters me up when my own fears threaten to overwhelm me, and Luke?s innocence gives me hope.

I have everything I need right here, in this small corner of the galaxy.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet, reflective update. :D

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great Beru that is as it should be. Although he is Padme's child you have to raise him.

Lovely update@};-

15. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Of course Beru would feel this way. Lovely update! @};-

16. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    A part of me feels guilty at my certainty. Another part, a larger part takes comfort in the belief that Padmé would not begrudge me this feeling. In fact, I think she would be glad that Luke has found a place not only in our home, but in our hearts.

I think that's definitely how she would feel!

Just lovely, K! [face_love]

17. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    But I?m his mother. I am. I know this, though the universe may not call me ?real.? A part of me feels guilty at my certainty. Another part, a larger part takes comfort in the belief that Padmé would not begrudge me this feeling. In fact, I think she would be glad that Luke has found a place not only in our home, but in our hearts.

Beru is definitely the best mother Luke could have ever asked for in Padmé's absence.

Often, when I am the only one awake and I go up to stare up at the desert night sky, I imagine that Shmi and Padmé are looking down on us, giving us their blessing. And I hope that they can rest in peace, because Luke will be loved and taken care of, even if they aren?t here to do it.

I'm sure they are. :D

Wonderful update! =D= =D=

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Beautiful update. =D= Yes, I do believe Padme and Shmi are watching from above and the former giving thanks that such a loving, strong woman is raising Luke as her own. [face_love]

19. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    i just finished reading this, it was great. :) keep up the good work!

20. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    awww that was cute!

21. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Often, when I am the only one awake and I go up to stare up at the desert night sky, I imagine that Shmi and Padme are looking down on us, giving us their blessing. And I hope that they can rest in peace, because Luke will be loved and taken care of, even if they aren't here to do it.

It comforts me, that image. It gives me strength. Owen's love bolsters me up when my own fears threaten to overwhelm me, and Luke's innocence gives me hope.

I have everything I need right here, in this small corner of the galaxy.

Love how you give life to the ordinary people. Who are heroes just as much as those written larger than life.

22. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Beru has such a beautiful, poignant spirit. Oh my gosh...this update was so beautiful. [face_love] Especially that last sentence. *melts*

23. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I love seeing how content Beru is with her simple, hard life on Tatooine.

I imagine that Shmi and Padmé are looking down on us, giving us their blessing

If it was possible, I share her belief they would be. What more could Shmi or Padme ask for than to have Luke loved and cared for as they would have done themselves?

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Real. His real mother.

That?s what puzzles me. I feel real enough as his mother. It?s true I didn?t feel him grow inside of me. I did not feel him kick and turn, growing larger by the month. I did not suffer to bring him into the galaxy. It was not my own tears and sweat and blood that were shed for him.

But I?m his mother. I am. I know this, though the universe may not call me ?real.? A part of me feels guilty at my certainty. Another part, a larger part takes comfort in the belief that Padmé would not begrudge me this feeling. In fact, I think she would be glad that Luke has found a place not only in our home, but in our hearts.

It comforts me, that image. It gives me strength. Owen?s love bolsters me up when my own fears threaten to overwhelm me, and Luke?s innocence gives me hope.
    [face_love] Lovely, beautiful, poetic. @};- Just beautiful!!
    Wonderful update Vadey! Hope you're feeling all the way better soon![:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Jade_eyes Thank you!

earlybird-obi-wan Thank you for reading. :)

Jade_Pilot Yes, that would be Beru's feeling on the matter. :p

Gina Beru is such a great character, don't you think? [face_love]

LilyHobbitJedi I'm quite sure they're watching! [face_laugh]

Alexis_Wingstar I think so too!

PetraKenobi Thank you! :D

JediKaren [:D]

ratna I agree, Beru and Owen are heroes as much as Luke Skywalker, for he could not have done what he did without their love as his foundation.

Meredith_Kenobi I've always loved Beru, and I'm enjoying writing this piece so much because I feel like I get to sit down and have a cup of caf with her and talk about little Luke. [face_love]

KELIA I have a feeling they're very pleased with how much both Luke and Leia are loved.

dancing_star I'm back! [face_mischief]

[b]Entry #8[/b]

Today Owen had to go out to the vaporators on the farthest edges of our property. I am used to being alone, though now of course, I am never truly alone. Luke is here, and even when he?s sleeping, I am very aware of him.

He murmurs in his sleep at times, a slight smile playing about his little mouth. He is a happy child and has brought so much joy to our lives. So even while he sleeps, I peek in on him and it brings a smile to my face to watch him. How bad can the galaxy be when there is Luke in our home?

Anyway, I did not expect this morning to be any different. But about ten minutes after Owen left, I heard a soft knock on our door. At first, I was startled and fearful, but then I pulled myself together enough to remember that Tusken Raiders would hardly take the time to knock and I went to the door, expecting to see a neighbor who might have stopped by for a visit.

I was already mentally calculating what foods I had on hand to offer my guest.

But when I opened the door, there stood Obi-Wan Kenobi. He looked unwell. If anything, he looked even worse than the day he had placed Luke in my arms. And on that day I felt as if I was looking at a shell, a man who had been shattered into a million pieces and put back together by clumsy, uncaring hands.

The man who greeted me however, was a ghost. I wondered what he?d do if I hugged him and then decided I?d better not. I wanted to, but I thought he might just drop dead on the spot, whether from exhaustion or grief, or something else entirely, I didn?t know.

I told him to come in and that Owen was gone for the day. A look of embarrassment flashed across his features and he told me that he knew Owen was gone and had deliberately waited.

I could understand his apprehension. I appreciated his discretion. I hope that in time I can work out some sort of peace between them, but for now that simply isn?t possible.

I could tell that he had come for a purpose, but first I asked him if he wanted to see Luke. Something warm and surprised came into his eyes at that point and I thought how handsome and sweet he looked in that moment. Owen teases me often that I am a matchmaker at heart, and I wondered if there had ever been a woman in his life.

Sadly, I think there was not. He is a Jedi, and that is a commitment he would never take lightly. His willingness to stand watch over Luke proves that. He could have fled to safety and hidden himself in the vastness of the universe. Instead, he has chosen to keep a vigil over the son of the man who tried to kill him.

He honors Anakin, not what Anakin became.

Anyway, Luke was asleep, and I offered to wake him (after all, Obi-Wan had come a long way to bring Luke to us) but Obi-Wan said no, that he was happy just to look at him.

And he did.

I noticed that his hand shook when he reached down and touched Luke?s head. There might have been tears in his eyes too, but when he turned to look at me again, his expression was as serene as always.

Once a Jedi, always a Jedi. Even here, even now.

Then Obi-Wan said what he had come to say. He had two bits of news. One,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.