main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Conflict of Interest?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran, Sep 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Ok, now you're equating putting up with a few slightly PG-13 topics with allowing rape and murder threats. I really think you should follow everyone else and just drop this argument before you make yourself look worse. It's over, just let it go.

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yes, let's all let this go. The real topic of this thread was over about two pages ago.

Everyone take a deep breath, and leave the thread.

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Well Padme Bra, I'm not the one who decided upon this "family friendly" policy. Once they mention that the floodgates open and almost anything is open to interperetation.

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    OK. I just read through all 13 pages of this thread, but while I was reading it I was on a school computer and couldn't log in, so I couldn't post a reply. But now I can, it doesn't make a difference.

At first I didn't post because I didn't want to get the wrong idea and post, but now I think I shall.

OK. The whole Legal/Kerry is basically over, and he's been banned (although frankly I'll say it's 99.9% likely he'll come back under another username again).

About the "banned users" list, I have to agree with both Padme Bra and LC. It would be useful to people who have been away for some time and want to know why someone has been banned and all that. But then, you could always ask around, and not many people might actually bother to look at the list. Then again, too many people might post nonsensical replies to it, which wouldn't be good at all.

All the same, I think that there should be one, because I think it's fair enough to know the reason written on the admins "ban list". The IP banning list wouldn't be of much use because you wouldn't know your IP address most of the time, and there's not much you can do about it.

And about the "hot kitchen" thing, Vertical is actually right, you can't tell a person just to go if they think it's "too hot" if it *really* is. There's been a lot of flaming and the sort recently, and I guess some people are easier to offend then others (no offence meant). So it's time we all cooled down, coz we didn't come to the JC to argue about something like this, we came here to discuss SW.

About the people who actually don't like SW but hang out in Community, there's nothing to be said about them. Just let them stay there, but all the same they must be treated edually like all the other members who *DO* discuss SW.

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others." - Animal Farm

(I know epic has used this reference before, I just brought it up because I think it was relevant in some ways.)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

A posted ban list could be handled the same way as the current deleted thread (ban) list in E2&3. With the (tactful) understanding that this is a purely informative list made explicitly clear in the first post, posters in E2&3 seemed not to mind that any non-announcement posts would be deleted.

It is confusion over inconsistency and lack of information, I think, that causes most of the problems in this area. Posting such a ban list would go a long way toward solving both.

Kida

6. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I suppose it's a good idea. I'm all for admin accountability and all that. I just think that in an ideal world you could just ask an admin about a banning and he'd tell you. We wouldn't need a formal procedure. Plus, displaying a banned member's name and reason for banning almost seems ike a flogging in the town square. Which in some cases is deserved but in others is not (I would have enjoyed it with mine).

7. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Hey, I'll tell you all I can about any member who's been banned.

Vertical

8. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    ...and if all admins were like you there wouldn't be a need for this or most other discussions.

//gold star

;)

9. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Also here, possibly, the idea of proactive (as opposed to reactive) management. An openly posted ban list would allow the bannee, and those who would have argued for the bannee, to be familiar with the reasons _before_ posting the inevitable thread asking "Why?" -- possibly preempting the thread altogether.

Kida

10. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    A list would also give users a feel for what are bannable actions (and hence be a rough guide to behaviour).

Should it be felt the list had turned into a rogue's gallery (and hence increasing trolls seeking attention) it could simply be removed.

I say start one as an experiment, see how it goes and go from there. It has to be tried before being denounced as a failure.

11. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    We've seen that rogue appeal already [i.e. Kerry].

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    But then not everyone is gonna be like him. Kerry is more of an exception rather than the norm.

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Kida's right. We've had so many "Why was [someone] banned?" threads with so many "It's really obvious, [someone] did [whatever]" stuff that I think it's really needed now.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.