main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Conflict of Interest?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran, Sep 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Are you getting at the fact that Scott could have hired a good person, who declined into someone terrible? Like Paul... yeah, that's true.

2. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

I was getting at the fact that I find openness in government to be a desirable thing, and that such openness would not be demanded if trust existed.

I was also getting at the fact that I found LC's idea about granting access to the ban list intriguing, and potentially quite useful.

If you wish to bring other factors into an argument you seem to be trying to pick, be my guest. I have no wish to argue, not here, not today.

Kida

3. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    There would have to be two ban lists. A public and Admin one. The Admin one would contain IPs, etc...

4. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

I doubt anyone has any objections to IPs not being made unnecessarily public.

It could be something similar to the mega thread already announcing reasons for thread deletions and some bannings in E2&3.

Kida

5. Jedi Amee

Jedi Amee Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2000
    I can tell this debate is basically between the two of you, and this is off subject but there was a point I wanted to bring up. Thanks

PreacherBoy, as far as Servo's case goes I think it was important that the reasons be posted because of the severity of it. Because he has been here for so long, and has seemingly always posted in accordance to the rules it came as a suprise to the members here that he would receive a permanant ban. If a member is accused of doing something that could be seen as a threat to other posters or their computers I think that it would be considerate for the admins at TFN to post these reasons. Unfortunetly, this loses a great deal of effect when the person in question can't post here to defend themselves and I'm sure it's very hard to judge how much or how little information should be released, if any. Any decision you make is bound to upset someone, but I think that when you are in any postition of authority that is bound to happen and people need to learn to respect that.

However, seeing as you are in a position of authority, out of fairness to those involved, I think it would be better if admins made it a rule of thumb not to bring up specific incidents
    after they have already been dealt with (in general, I'm not against a public list of banned members). If they feel they need to use an example, maybe they could try to be more careful with what words they choose.

6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Doesn't the 'Deleted Thread Index' maintained by the Admins serve as a ban list? Usually, the Admins include in their posts any administrative action taken, ie, a ban.

I haven't been here as long as some of the others posting in this thread but isn't the Darth_Servo situation fairly unusual? In the sense that he was banned for activities not conducted in the public forums.

Most of the members who run into trouble get banned for violating forum rules in their posts and those violations do not go unchecked for very long. After the offending post is deleted, the Admin can post to the 'Deleted Thread Index' and inform everyone what action was taken.

The main problem I guess would be that the effectiveness of the 'Deleted Thread Index' would be reliant upon it staying on the first page.

7. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I'd rather NOT have a ban list where members can put their input in. Our decisions on who's banned is quite final, and discussions happen in other threads or with each other.

So, as for an official list, it should just be that, a list, and not a thread.

8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Fair enough:)

My point was simply that in the usual course of things not every banning becomes a soap opera and so it might not be necessary to go to all the trouble of creating a new list when the 'Deleted Thread Index' suffices nicely. Also, as far as I can see no one but the Admins post in those threads anyway.

I guess I like the concept of maximising the utility of what we have already got in place, so the powers that be can get on with job of giving us all back smilies, italics, bold, pics etc etc without further distractions.

9. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Why does there have to be a "Banned Member List" or some other official set of rules? Just be a regular guy. Be as honest with the members as you can when they ask questions. There was a question as to why Servo was banned and Vertical came in and told as much as he could. I for one thanked him and suggested to everyone that they should trust the admins from there. What's wrong with that? Why does everything have to be so hard? I know you all think you're cool with your 'inside info' but if a user asks a simple question just answer it if possible.

10. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Great post, Padme Bra!

11. Lord Chewy

Lord Chewy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
  12. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Wow, thank you, Preacherboy. I would think that you'd be the last person to accept my last post but your enthusiastic praise indicates that you may be changing your ways and gaining a new level of maturity. Kudos!

13. Jedi Amee

Jedi Amee Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2000
    now thats funny

14. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I agree completely!

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I meant to say that Kerry's motivations were misunderstood. In no way was I saying that his remarks were appropriate or called for. He had a beef with SDA because SDA insulted one of Kerry's friends and unfortunately let his temper get the best of him.

I had a long discussion with Kerry earlier this evening in which I encouraged him to apologize to SDA for the remarks he made. At the same time, I feel it would be best for SDA to reciprocate the action and apologize to Kerry for insulting his friend, but only once Kerry has taken the initiative to apologize.

Padme Bra, "...someone who is bound to become one of the next admins of this board". This is news to me. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if I'm an admin here or not. It isn't a big deal to me one way or the other. Furthermore, life requires a thick skin. If you get offended by every little bad thing someone says about you, a family member, or your favorite baseball team, then hide under the bed until you learn to forget about the insults. Harry Truman summed it up best when he said "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

SDA, I know what Kerry said was pretty nasty and distasteful. I also saw it on the boards and there was no need for you to send it to me in a PM. Believe it or not, you and I are in the same boat sorta. I have a form of autism called Asperger Syndrome. Granted it isn't as severe as full-blown Autism, but I know what it is like to have to deal with a similar disorder. For more info on Asperger's Syndrome (AS), I'll refer you to this site: http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

I feel that the best way to end this would be for both you and Kerry to apologize in a civil manner and agree that while you two may not be on the best of terms, you will still carry on with your individual lives, respect one another, and give each other an ample amount of personal space. I'm certain that an amicable settlement can be reached by both of you and that incidents such as the one which started this whole war of words can be avoided in the future.

Unless you have anything else to add, I bid you adieu.

16. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    that was a kinda interesting link, now I am worried, I exhibit some of those trendencies or have done so........ argh!

17. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I've never been insulted by anything anyone's said to me. However, for the things he said to someone else, he shouldn't be and isn't allowed to post on this message board again. No anger or heated emotions, he's just gone.

While not outright defending his actions, by dismissing his behavior as being misunderstood and the people speaking against him as being too thin skinned you certainly didn't help matters. Having a thick skin should not be a pre-requisite for posting on this message board. Under the rules of TF.N you have a right not to be harassed while you're here. He harassed someone he shouldn't have and that, along with all of his other transgressions, got him thrown off this board, for starters.

Actually, why am I even still talking about this? Look how long this post is. The guy's a jackass and he's gone. The End.

18. FreeBeer.com

FreeBeer.com Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Yay, it's still going!

Morons.

19. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    One thing which I can't stress enough, and I feel the need to say it again, because some obviously haven't gotten the message...

Kyle said:

Harry Truman summed it up best when he said "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

-----

This forum is NOT supposed to be a hot kitchen. This is the family room. If it's too hot, you turn down the thermostat, you don't tell people that they should just deal with it.

Vertical

20. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Vertical, you just slammed his analogy.

Lame.

21. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    It was a poor analogy. Why shouldn't I slam it?

Vertical

22. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    If this were a no-holds-barred anything-goes board then Kyle's analogy would be appropriate, but on THIS board it isn't. This is supposed to be a family-friendly place with rules and guidelines that need to be followed to keep it that way.

The seven-year-old kids who post here should not be at risk of being harrassed or have to watch it happen to another member.

Vert's right - the thermostat needs to be kept down.

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I was under the impression that you had to be 13 or so to post here but I agree.

Now if we're talking mental ages....

24. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I'm just saying that there's too much criticism and slamming for this place to be fun.

25. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    If this is a "family friendly" board, then why are threads about clearly non-"family friendly" topics still on the boards??? I've seen all sorts of risque threads posted in Community, SW Misc, Episdoes 2&3, et al. which clearly violate this "family friendly" policy that is rumored to exist. If you guys are gonna pretend to play hardball on threads you deem to violate this pseudo-existant policy, then be consistant in your actions and don't go ape on those with dissenting opinions. Sometimes the best solutions come from those with whom you initially disagree with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.