main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Gathering of Vans

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So there's a house being built just up the street from me. Today as I look out the bedroom window of my flat I can see no less than 5 white vans (some with signage) and one blue van parked along the road.

What's the collective noun for a gathering of vans?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Vanguard :p

Are your neighbours dodgy? Because some of those vans might be housing a couple of guys with listening devices [face_shhh]

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Then the Jewson's lorry delivering something in big bags (sand?) must have been a decoy!

They've gotta be legit with all the construction noise going on.

Besides, this is suburbia. Most of my neighbors are either elderly, young families with kids, or they've been here for ages (like me).

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    So you're not a vanfan then?

You must be wondering, "When will that van go?"

If it drives into a ditch, is it a van dyke?

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't think I've seen that many parked in front of my flat at the same time! There are a few people living on the street that have vans or small trucks but this looked like a van convention.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    A convantion?

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Congrevanation?

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    [image=http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss104/icewhiz02/fairly%20oddparents/van.png]

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    ^
    None were that fancy! :p

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It warms me a chunk to see that we're all still here in some shape or form. :cool:

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Today's van count is 3 so far - all white, one with blue signage. Of course it's still pretty early.

Edit - and a large red lorry dropping off a skip..

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe it's the Mafia [face_thinking]

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Up to four today - 3 white, one blue (plumber's van). They must be working on the interior of the house now.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    This thread is the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    [image=http://asset.soup.io/asset/1089/3942_1d9a.jpeg]

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Come on, what's the count??????

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There were three when I went out to post a letter about a half-hour ago. And the skip that was delivered the other day is full so I bet the skip lorry will be back today or next week.

Edit - I was right about the skip lorry. It's picking up now..

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Fun stuff this morning. The usual 3 vans parked. Then a whacking big lorry delivered some building materials. (The type with the onboard crane to offload piles of bricks). While he was offloading the refuse lorry came to do the scheduled pickup, and a large Night Freight lorry coming up the street from the opposite direction decided he had right-of-way. Fun & Games! He had to back up as it was a couple of burly trash guys against him. Now the building materials lorry is back...
    It looks like a neighbor got inspired by the guys building the house across the street and scheduled some remodeling of his own. That's where the current lorry is delivering. This neighborhood hasn't been this busy since Millwall came to the FA Cup match against Staines Town.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's nice if you can afford to have that much work done, and if you can have someone around when the builders are there (if they're doing interior work).
    Sounds like there's enough material being brought in to rebuild an entire house.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, after I posted that there was this big cement lorry at the remodeller's for awhile. I'm not sure what they are doing - I have it feeling it might be something in the garden rather than an extension. The people doing that are Asian and at least one is retired as I see him around with his grandson a lot. (It's a multi-generation family living there. They've been here since I have.)

I think the people building the new house across the street from the remodeller inherited land and an old house from family. I'm not sure if they knocked down the old house to build the new one or if the new one is being built in addition to the old. The plot is set way back from the road and I'm not sure how much land they have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.