main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Journey of Discovery-Bk.2: Pledge (L/M, H/L, OC's) Completed 4/2/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    You know, out of all the OCs in this book, I like Aerie the best. [/random_observation]

"They begged us to show them something," Mara whispered, "and Luke is a big pushover. I shudder to think how spoiled our own children will be."

LOL! She's not all that far from the truth, I'm sure. :p

"Are ye gonna lift the whole bed?" Kavan asked Luke eagerly.

"Don't tempt him," Mara interjected dryly.

[face_laugh]

She gave him an assuming glance. "You got in trouble a lot as a boy, didn't you, pulling daredevil stunts?"

Luke shrugged. "Constantly."

*grins* And even now, he regards it as no big deal. That's just so in character for Luke. :D

"I'll go see that they be gettin' out unnoticed, and head off any parents." Merta shook her head as she turn to leave. "Sure and I don't wanna know what ye were doin' with those children."

I rather like Merta, too. :D

2. MJSLSBS

MJSLSBS Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2003
    I've just read all of book one and book two so far. i love them more than from when i read them on your site. up soon?

MJSLSBS

3. ShortySC22

ShortySC22 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2002
    That was cute. Aww, it's sad that they'll never be able to come back, but who knows what the future brings, it's always in motion....

I liked the kids. I always wanted to fly and it'd be so neat to be abel to do so. Good writing as well.

4. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Aww, Luke is so sweet to the little kids. Softie. [face_love]

5. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Awww Lukie IS such a softie, loved how they sneaked and floated the kids :) AND how they were teaching them to be more acceptable to different people, very like Lukie. Their kids WILL be spoiled ;)

Can't wait for more!

6. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Well, at least they won't be lynched. But it still is sad that they can never come back. Course those kids if when they are older can ever get in touch with them, I'm sure Luke and Mara will be welcomed back with open arms.

She gave him an assuming glance. "You got in trouble a lot as a boy, didn't you, pulling daredevil stunts?"

Luke shrugged. "Constantly."
    [face_laugh] :p So Luke. So Mara.

Aww, Luke's so good with the children. He'd be a good father. And Mara'd be a good mother, weither she thinks so or not.

7. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Well, there you go. Typical children! Can't blame them though, it would be fun to 'fly' like that! LOL

8. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: Since they were planning on leaving right away anyway.... it all worked out for the best!

Yes, in this case, the punishment fit the crime -- not harsh at all.

JediArwen: And the farmboy with the kids was magnificent! Really there is no way to make you write a Book 4 where the farmboy will become a father?

No, not for this series. Especially not a whole 'Book.' I've already done a couple short canon stories showing Luke's fatherhood abilities.

RebelMom: Yep, I can see Luke as always getting into trouble as a child - he still does.

Mara does bring out the 'kid' in him again, doesn't she? ;)

Rivad_Bacar: But he also learned to tell the truth!

Most of the time, anyway. :D

Gabri_Jade: You know, out of all the OCs in this book, I like Aerie the best. [/random_observation]

And I'm sure Mara liked Aerie best, too. Reminds me of when Dorothy tells the Scarecrow that she'll miss him most of all. Maybe Aerie will name one of her twins after Mara. [face_laugh]

I rather like Merta, too.

:) I think Merta is my favorite. Followed by Hiley.

MJSLSBS: I've just read all of book one and book two so far. i love them more than from when i read them on your site.

Another repeat reader! One of these days you'll get new chapters to read, I promise. ;)

ShortySC22: Aww, it's sad that they'll never be able to come back, but who knows what the future brings, it's always in motion....

Maybe L&M's kids can travel there someday. :D

Stormtrooper_Shrink: Aww, Luke is so sweet to the little kids. Softie.

Would we expect anything different from him?

padawan lunetta: Awww Lukie IS such a softie, loved how they sneaked and floated the kids AND how they were teaching them to be more acceptable to different people, very like Lukie.

Three 'Awww' comments in a row. I may get a complex. [face_laugh]

Even though Luke wanted the kids to have fun, teaching them not to be prejudiced was his main objective. :)

J_M_Bulldog: Course those kids if when they are older can ever get in touch with them, I'm sure Luke and Mara will be welcomed back with open arms.

You guys are giving me too many sequel suggestions. *covers ears and eyes*

Kazzy: Well, there you go. Typical children! Can't blame them though, it would be fun to 'fly' like that! LOL

It really didn't take much arm-twisting to get Luke to agree, did it?

The second half of 17 coming right up. Thanks, everyone, for all your comments!! :D :D :D

9. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Here you go. A nice evil cliffie for the weekend. ;)

Chapter 17-B

When they were finally alone in their room, the newlyweds wasted little time packing the last of their possessions and donning their familiar orange flightsuits. Picking up his Alliance-issued backpack, Luke took one last look around the cozy bedchamber.

"I'm going to miss this place," he murmured wistfully. "Our lives were changed here."

"Yes, but this room, this village, this planet ? they're not our future," Mara reminded him. "Our future is out there, among the stars." She smiled as she nodded toward the bright blue sky outside the window. "And the future is waiting for us to catch up. C'mon, flyboy." Mara took her husband's arm as they withdrew through the doorway. "We have a rendezvous with destiny."

"There be a bag o' food fer ye." Merta pointed to a bulging rucksack as Luke and Mara entered her kitchen. "Are ye sure ye don't want more warm clothes? Or at least the coats ye been usin'?"

"No, we'll be fine, Merta," Luke assured her. "You've been too generous as it is."

"But ye shouldna' given me all yer dekas. Ye worked off yer keep more than enough."

"Merta, we could never begin to repay all you've done for us." Mara set her pack down and gave the older woman a heartfelt hug. "We'll never forget you."

"Aye, and I'll never forget the two o' ye." Merta swiped at her tear-filled eyes as she received Luke's embrace also. "And fer sure no one will ever forget this year's Winter Festival."

"That we can believe," he returned. "Not exactly the lasting impression we wanted to leave, though."

"Folks got their feathers ruffled, but they'll get over it. 'Specially if there be a decent harvest."

"We can't promise that," Mara noted, turning as the sound of the back door creaking broke into the conversation.

Hiley wiped the snow from his worn boots, then handed Luke a long metal object. "Here be yer rod, Luke. Thought I'd save ye the trouble o' comin' over to get it." He looked the travelers over in amusement after receiving Luke's thanks. "This must be the get-up I heard 'bout that ye had on when ye came. That so's ye can spot each other if ye get lost in the snow?"

"I couldna' talk 'em into keepin' the coats I give 'em," Merta interjected.

"We've got plenty to carry already," Luke said, glancing at the assortment of baggage that surrounded them. "We are taking you up on the gloves and caps and extra blankets. We'll be plenty warm."

"I told ye we'd be glad to lend ye a pair o' drobbins," Hiley reminded him.

"But we'd not have a way to get them back to you," Mara pointed out.

"Some of us could ride along with ye," the metalcrafter responded. "I'd like to see that boat o' yers, and find out where that contraption goes on it." He gestured toward the shaft that Luke was carefully stowing in his gear.

"Oh, huh, we really can walk," Mara stammered, grasping for a plausible excuse.

"We are still on our honeymoon, you know," Luke elaborated with a wink, eliciting a round of laughter from their friends.

"These young folks don't need the likes o' ye taggin' along, Hiley Lenzel," Merta bantered.

"Aye, that's true enough." Hiley pulled Luke out of earshot as Merta began describing to Mara what delectable foods she was sending with them. "From what happened today, looks like ye need a few more stabs at gettin' that advice we gave ye at the gamin' booths to take hold," the older man whispered conspiratorially.

"Hmmm." Luke glanced at the fiery redhead, smiling as he remembered the men's good-natured recommendation on how to tame a strong-willed woman. "I don't know if that tip would ever work in our case, but I sure am enjoying making the effort."

"Thatta boy!" Hiley slapped his young friend on the back with a hearty chuckle. "Ye can ne'er go wrong takin' that path, lad." He helped Luke hoist his bulky survival pack onto his back. "Take care, son. I wish ye both good fortune and a long life together."

"Thanks, Hiley, and you too, Merta," Luke acknowledged both of the congenial villagers

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    In Luke's words, Arrggh! A cliffie. ;)

11. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Aarghh! - :eek: :eek:

12. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    :eek: Oh, you ARE evil, leaving it off there! And I can't even comment because I know what happened!

Sorry I missed so many updates, but it seemed like every time I opened this thread to leave you FB, Real Life intervened; the phone, or the youngun, or I looked up and realized I was about to be late for work...

My sincerest apologies!! [face_blush] [face_blush]

The "trial" has always been one of my favorite parts. Seeing the way Mara and Luke draw strength from one another and knowing that some of the people in the village do still like them.

Luke actually does pretty well explaining the Force to people who have absolutely no concept of it. And I love the way they give-and-take with one another. There's no "I know more, so I'm always right" attitude from either of them. Both are willing to admit that, in certain circumstances, one or the other may have more experience.

Mara's recollection of the pregnant woman she helped all those years ago was very touching.

Mara had regretted taking the precious moments to help the waitress that day. Now, she regretted every single day of her servitude to Palpatine. Watching Aerie and Jaco clutching each other, and feeling her own husband's hand squeezing her shoulder, Mara knew she would never regret even a moment of her future.

One of my favorite passages...shows Mara's growth SO well!

Luke with the children was just wonderful! And Mara tries to be all disapproving, but she gives in and enjoys herself. :) Man, I wish I could float with the Force, too!

I can't wait for more!!

13. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Hey, what's everyone worried about? Luke said "Argh" because he dropped his potato salad... :D

Hope Monday gets here soon...

14. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Aarghh!" It's those brothers again isn't it? *low growl resonds out of bulldog's throat at the thought of someone hurting Luke and Mara*

Great post but [face_devil] cliffe.

15. ShortySC22

ShortySC22 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2002
    What a cliffhanger for this weekend. Oh mean, I wonder what's goign to get them in trouble this time, since it just seems to naturally follow them.

16. MJSLSBS

MJSLSBS Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2003
    meanie its a cliffie.

17. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Its those redneck Bros, aint it ?

18. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Feb 11, 2004
    WHAT?!?!?!?!

This is horrible! What's happening to him? Someone help him!!

Deep dire thoughts are running through my brain...

I hate cliffhangers!!

And yet they're so fun to write...

I bet you've got a big, smug smile on your face right now...

19. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It's always fun to watch an author gloat over an evil cliffhanger. ;)

20. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Feb 11, 2004
    Tisn't! Not when you don't know what's going to happen, at any rate.

21. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Just so ya know... I'm still reading, I've just been really busing and have to do a little bit of catching up.

22. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    arggg! indeed. What's the bet luke just stepped in something that smalls nasty and Mara won't let him back in ship until he cleans his shoe? ;)

bye, bye angry natives, may you live long and prosperous lives.

sweet chapter except for the argg-thingy.

23. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Sneaking in some replies while I have a bit of free time. ;)

RebelMom: In Luke's words, Arrggh! A cliffie.

Aren't cliffies wonderful? :D

GreatOne: Aarghh!

Ditto. ;)

kayladie97: Oh, you ARE evil, leaving it off there! And I can't even comment because I know what happened!

And it really isn't so bad, is it? Luke just ... And then Mara ... [face_devil]

Don't worry about not posting for every chapter. I understand about DRL. :) I'm glad you liked rereading the last few sections.

There's no "I know more, so I'm always right" attitude from either of them. Both are willing to admit that, in certain circumstances, one or the other may have more experience.

That's one of the secrets to the success of their relationship in a nutshell.

Man, I wish I could float with the Force, too!

Wouldn't that be cool? I think the Force power I'd want most would be being able to levitate objects to me. Mara would definitely define it as laziness. [face_laugh]

Rivad_Bacar: Hey, what's everyone worried about? Luke said "Argh" because he dropped his potato salad...

LOL!!! I thought you weren't going to give away spoilers. :p

Hope Monday gets here soon...

Me, too. Cause it's my birthday. :D

J_M_Bulldog: It's those brothers again isn't it? *low growl resonds out of bulldog's throat at the thought of someone hurting Luke and Mara*

We'll have to make you their bodyguard. ;)

ShortySC22: I wonder what's goign to get them in trouble this time, since it just seems to naturally follow them.

Didn't you read above? Luke's in trouble for dropping his potato salad.

MJSLSBS: meanie its a cliffie.

Yep, it is. [face_laugh]

Wes_Janson: Its those redneck Bros, aint it ?

You expect me to answer that? [face_mischief]

Stormtrooper_Shrink: This is horrible! What's happening to him? Someone help him!! Deep dire thoughts are running through my brain...

Don't worry. That potato salad cleans right off of those jumpsuits.

And yet they're so fun to write...

You're right. I should try to do more of them.

I bet you've got a big, smug smile on your face right now...

Right again. :cool:

Gabri_Jade: It's always fun to watch an author gloat over an evil cliffhanger.

You're allowed to gloat, too, if you want, since you know what happens. ;) And to stick out your tongue at Stormtrooper_Shrink.

Jaina_and_Jag: Welcome back. Glad to see you're still following along. Don't worry about not posting every time. :)

Kazzy: What's the bet luke just stepped in something that smells nasty and Mara won't let him back in ship until he cleans his shoe?

Darn, you guessed it. You have to watch your step when out in the woods. [face_laugh]

bye, bye angry natives, may you live long and prosperous lives.

So sure, are you, that you've seen the last of them?

Did Luke step in sharret poodoo while dropping his lunch? Will Mara give him a tongue lashing for being so clumsy? Tune in tomorrow, whenever I drag out of bed and get online. :D

24. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    We'll have to make you their bodyguard. *snickers* That's Kelly's job. :p

25. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Feb 11, 2004
    And to stick out your tongue at Stormtrooper_Shrink.

That's not fair! :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.