main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends A Journey of Discovery-Bk.2: Pledge (L/M, H/L, OC's) Completed 4/2/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Great post Jedi-2B

Me thinks Luke's not going to take it great when Mara leaves the planet.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

2. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    I hadn't realised you'd started posting this. Glad you have, coz now I can read it!

See, I knew this 'lets just be friends'thing was trouble. Lets just hope they get their heads straight quickly. But I'm guessing they won't.

Luke better watch himself, though.

3. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    RebelMom: [face_laugh] Oh, I have to share this!:

I had forgotten alot of this. It is great for the refresher.

A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) asked if this meant, RM, that you print out these pages to read in the refresher (bathroom)? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

GreatOne: Great Post! Luke's got groupies!!!

Every good hero needs groupies!! :D

Jaina_and_Jag: Sounds like someone fawning over Orlando Bloom... if they could get close enough.

I saw previews somewhere for a new movie of Orlando's, and he again has a completely different look to him. He's so versatile. I loved him in Pirates, but I'll have to admit that Johnny Depp's part was better. But I digress...

So Mara is going to get away... very understandable, I think she feels that Luke and her are too close and they need some time apart... which is exacley what they do need.

Think so, do you? When do they ever get what they need?

Rivad_Bacar: Bully's just need to be thumped on the head. Be nice!

Are you telling Luke to be nice? Cause he usually is, but the guy was insulting his girl! All Yoda's teachings just flew out the transparisteel window. ;)

J_M_Bulldog: Me thinks Luke's not going to take it great when Mara leaves the planet.

Just wait.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

Oh, so you can't wait, huh? (Checks notes on the beginning of Chapter Two...) Doesn't look like you'll have to.

Kazzy: I hadn't realised you'd started posting this. Glad you have, coz now I can read it!

Well, I'm glad that you're glad. :)

See, I knew this 'lets just be friends'thing was trouble. Lets just hope they get their heads straight quickly. But I'm guessing they won't.

Do they ever?

I'm getting silly this morning, I know. Hours of watching Comic Book: The Movie yesterday will do that to you. I heartily recommend it to all you sci-fi geeks out there. Which is all of us, right, or we wouldn't be here. The movie is a goofy, lighthearted look at making fun of ourselves, with neat cameos to boot. Mark is at his geeky, nerdy best.

4. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Onward...

[b]Chapter 2-A[/b]

By mid morning the next day, Luke found himself approaching the offices of the Alliance leadership. He hadn't slept well, which came as no surprise, and had finally put himself into a Jedi trance. He and Leia talked at some length that morning, until Leia had to dash off to some committee meeting or another. Leia had done her best to allay his self-doubts concerning the dark side. But, as always, Luke got the feeling his sister was in deep denial that either of them could possibly have anything in common with their father.

It was shortly after Leia left that Luke received a message stating Mon Mothma wished to see him as soon as possible. Leia had assured him that the Chief of State had seemed unperturbed the evening before as far as he was concerned, so this unexpected summons was puzzling.

"There is no need to try to explain last night," the New Republic leader began, waving off Luke's attempts at an apology as he took a seat in her office. "I have read your report concerning the events of your imprisonment by the Empire, and your statement of how both the Emperor and Darth Vader perished. It isn't that I don't believe you." Mon Mothma rose and stared out her large window before continuing. "Commander, the galaxy has struggled under the tyranny of the Emperor since before you were born. You must understand that you have become a symbol of hope for all beings, a sign that the Jedi Knighthood is being resurrected. If it is revealed that you were powerless to defeat Palpatine, faith in the Jedi, and in our leadership, would be shaken."

Mon Mothma circled around closer to Luke. "Can you honestly be certain, if you hadn't been present that day in the throne room, that Darth Vader would have still slain his master? That it was not your influence that turned Lord Vader back to the light?"

Luke shook his head in resignation. "No, I ..., I can't be certain."

"So you see, Commander, from a certain point of view, you are responsible for the downfall of Emperor Palpatine."

[i]Certain point of view. Certain point of view. Does my whole life revolve around a certain point of view?[/i] Luke kept his thoughts to himself as Mon Mothma continued.

"That Lord Vader sacrificed his own life to destroy Palpatine is regrettable, but do you actually believe that he would have ever been accepted into the Alliance's good graces? Luke ..." Mon Mothma laid a hand on his shoulder in a motherly fashion. "The populace would have demanded he be put on trial for the atrocities he committed, no matter how much he repented in the end. I don't believe he would have been allowed to live."

"But his memory?" Luke began.

"His memory, his legacy, will live on in you, Commander." Mon Mothma gave him a cryptic smile.

Luke's eyes widened in surprise. [i]Does she know? Or is she merely referring to the legacy of the Jedi?[/i]

"Now, Commander, I did not call you in here to discuss last evening." Mon Mothma returned to her seat behind her desk. "We have been soliciting the planet Lorrd, in the Kanz Sector, to join the Alliance for some time now. They have mineral resources unique to their planet that would be valuable in our effort to rebuild. Lorrd's government, however, has been rather reluctant to commit to an accord with us. For some reason, they have trouble believing our sincerity." Mon Mothma gave Luke another enigmatic smile. "I'm sure at this point you're wondering what all this has to do with you."

"It had crossed my mind."

"The Lorrdians have always had a great deal of respect for the Jedi order. They have agreed to meet with a Jedi, and only a Jedi." The leader steepled her fingers together. "Hence, we are sending you to Lorrd to conduct negotiations for their inclusion into the New Republic."

A mixture of confusion and denial crossed Luke's face. "Madame President, begging your pardon, but I'm not a diplomat."

"In this case, Commander, you will be. Many of the Jedi of the Old Republic served as ambassadors for the Senate and for individual planets."

Mon M>

5. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Awww, that is sweet .. Mara is getting softer and softer, just like Snuggles the little fabric soft bear! hehehehe *runs*

6. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Geez, you're fast, Great One. You found the new post before I even remembered to update the tagline. :p

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Maybe I should have someone beta my replies so I don't leave myself open to such lunacy. ;) I don't print fanfic. I just sit in front of the computer and read it.

oooh, I love how Mara is thinking about all the little things she's done with Luke. She's falling, falling. :D
    [face_love]

8. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Be nice was actually directed at the bully's of the universe. It's so much better to be nice to people...

On to the story!
    If Mara ever found out he was going around calling her his apprentice ... well, he'd better start making out a will. Tehehe! :D

She would leave tomorrow, and she wouldn't look back. Looking back could only bring heartache, and the Emperor's Hand would not succumb to anything as trivial as heartache.
    Mara Jade collapsed onto her shabby couch, and wept.
    [face_shocked]
    :_|

That was so poignent J2B! It was so beutifully sad! Good thing for Mara she's going to be stuck with Luke and they can cheer each other up... :D

9. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D Uh-oh... what has Luke done? The minute Mara finds out who she's on that mission with she won't be happy. [face_plain]

10. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    poor Mara. ..

Luke, . .. stop scheming. . . she'll find out eventually .. ;)

11. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    [face_laugh] Luke has her going with him. Yes, he better make out a will.

Mara's thinking about all the times she spent with Luke. Awwww, but then she cries. :( Poor Mara. *grumbles about characters that just won't sit down and talk things out*

12. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I confess, i confess. i couldn't help it. i finished book 2 on your website. now i have to wait for the next one. ack CLIFFHANGER ALERT!!! *smacks forehead.* aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, help!!! I can't believe you did that!!!! *groans.* this is just great. Luke should have told them or something. now they think that.......................................

nnnnnnnoooooooooooo, they better not do anything drastic. now i have to suffer with this cliffhanger till the 3rd book. :_|

and i guess i deserve it too. :(

13. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: Yep, snuggly soft Mara. :p

RebelMom: Don't worry, I saw that at the beginning of Pendulum I made some comment about people could use it as a refresher, and nearly repeated the same thing about Pledge before I caught myself. These stories have enough refresher scenes as it is. ;)

I used to print out my favorite stories, but now I just park myself in front of the computer, too.

oooh, I love how Mara is thinking about all the little things she's done with Luke. She's falling, falling.

Falling, but not ready to admit it. :D

Rivad_Bacar: Good thing for Mara she's going to be stuck with Luke and they can cheer each other up...

Oh, you're an optimistic one, aren't you? Cheer each other up? Yeah, right.

Jaina_and_Jag: Uh-oh... what has Luke done? The minute Mara finds out who she's on that mission with she won't be happy.

Nope, snuggly Mara won't be happy, not one little bit. :D

maramijade: Luke, . .. stop scheming. . . she'll find out eventually ..

And when she does... What did Uncle Owen say would happen if Luke didn't get those vaporators fixed? "There'll be h*ll to pay."

J_M_Bulldog: *grumbles about characters that just won't sit down and talk things out*

Where's the fun in that? :p

jacen200015: and i guess i deserve it too.

Yes, you do. If you'd just waited here, Book 3 would start right after 2 ends. But imagine if you were one of those people who read Book 2 a year and a half ago, and are still waiting for the sequel. [face_laugh] (I should be ashamed for being such a slow writer!)

14. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Shortly before her departure time the next morning, Mara entered the sprawling building that housed bays numbered fifteen through twenty. She recognized it as headquarters for Gray Squadron, a B-wing group. Luke had taken her on an extensive tour of all the fighter group hangers, but this was the first time she had ventured anywhere by herself, save for the Rogues' base of operations. Apparently the young corporal posted at the entrance had been informed of her expected arrival, as she was waved in immediately.

Mara found her way to Bay Sixteen, carrying one small satchel. She figured she would buy anything else she needed on arrival at her destination, charging it to the Alliance, of course. As she walked among the battle-scarred fighters, she stopped short. There was no mistaking the presence she felt. She found him halfway up a service ladder, doing pre-flight checks on a modified B-wing.

"Finally felt like chucking the old X-wing, Skywalker?" Mara kept her voice carefully neutral, resolutely pushing aside her turbulent feelings for her estranged friend ? feelings that had kept her awake all night.

"Temporarily," he said solemnly, glancing down at her bag. She decided to save him the trouble of asking.

"I was supposed to go on some kind of mysterious mission for Mon Mothma." Mara looked around the bay. "But I don't see any shuttle. And I thought sure my contact would be here to meet me."

Luke descended to the hanger's duracrete floor, clearing his throat uncomfortably. "He's here."

Mara scanned the area once more. "Where?"

"Here," came the answer, even softer this time.

Mara's eyes widened in disbelieving shock. "You?! You're my contact?! Don't tell me you're going on this mission, too?"

There was no answer.

"Skywalker ..."

"You told me not to tell you."

Mara's eyes blazed at his insolence.

"I was ordered to go." Luke raised his voice a notch. "Wasn't my idea."

Mara fumed at this turn of events. Her resolve never to return to Coruscant had crumbled sometime during the middle of the night. But she had been anticipating a few weeks apart, giving them both time to reassess just where their relationship stood.

"Now I suppose you're going to tell me we have to fly in this cramped bucket of bolts." She waved at the B-wing in disgust.

"You shouldn't ask things if you don't want to hear the answer." Luke met Mara's glare with one of his own, then softened slightly. "We'll be departing in a few minutes. You can find a flightsuit in the locker room," he said, nodding toward a nearby hallway. He held out one hand to take her satchel. She shoved the bag into his hand, then stalked off in search of a flightsuit. Luke shook his head in resignation. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

Mara soon returned and studied the forlorn look on Luke's face. He didn't seem to be looking forward to this assignment any more than she did.

Luke started to reach his hand out, as if to touch her arm, then seemed to have second thoughts and pulled it back. Mara was both relieved and disappointed in the same instant.

"Mara," he began, "I'm sorry. For the other night. I ..."

Mara held up a hand to silence him. Luke's dramatic, earnest, apologies always grated on her nerves. Especially when she knew deep down that she ought to be the one making amends. "Skywalker, look, ..." She expelled a quick breath. "I said my piece on the subject, and I don't feel like rehashing it here. Can we just get going?"

Luke nodded silently, handing her a helmet as she climbed up the ladder and plopped heavily into the front gunner's seat. He clambered into the rear and requested clearance for departure. He'd find a way to bring up the subject again. It was a long way to Lorrd and back.

"So, do I get to know where we're going? Or is it some state secret?" Mara didn't try to hide the sarcasm in her voice. This was the first either of them had spoken since they'd left Coruscant three hours earlier, and the tension in Mara had been building by the nanosecond.

"Lorrd," came the soft voice from

15. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    LOL!! Luke lied to Mara!!! :eek:

16. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    hahahha, Luke you're in for one wild trip. .. ;)

all those additions to the code :D LOL :D Yoda'd be rolling in his nonexistant grave. . . ;)

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    actually i think Yoda would be trying to wack them with his stick. :p to bad he's one with the Force and can't actually do it. :p

18. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Hey Mara, don't complain about the seating arrangements. I remember one time flying in a Y-wing for four days to hit a convoy out of... well, anyway, the B-wing is much more roomy than any other Alliance starfighter! :D

Seriously, great post J2B! You captured their reluctance to talk to each other, yet their desire to build their friendship at the same time.

And yes, I am an romantic/optimistic one! [face_love] :D

19. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Greta post! :D Mara's taking it better than I thought... although she didn't really know what the mission was about before they left. Luke lied? :eek: Although he's with Mara, he wants her to think he isn't just the innocent farmboy from Tatooine that she already thinks he is. I'm glad they're talking... just wish they were doing something else... :p Can't wait for more! :D

20. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    Wow i got behind on this!!

I am so glad Mara and Luke r talkign togetehr...they r 10x better together than apart. And that is MY kinda Jedi code.

Oooh Luke lied to her...and watch Mara lie to him.

21. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Great one. Those two need help. *slowly shakes head* At least they're talking, eh, somewhat.

Me thinks that if Anakin could hear their *ahem* revised Jedi Code he'd be laughing his head off. :p

Luke lied to Mara :eek: Oh, man *snickers* This is going to get interesting.

22. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Whoa, getting behind again! I so love this story. :D Mara was being a little harsh on Lukie in the cantina, I think. It has to be a struggle for Luke to resist the Dark Side, but so far, he HAS resisted it.

Now, though, I'm not so sure...he's scheming and lying. :eek: I wonder how he explained to Leia who his partner for this mission was. I'm sure THAT went over well. [face_laugh]

But at least they're talking again. :) [face_love]

If you'd just waited here, Book 3 would start right after 2 ends. But imagine if you were one of those people who read Book 2 a year and a half ago, and are still waiting for the sequel. (I should be ashamed for being such a slow writer!)

Exactly!! We've been dying here!!! But, Book 3 will start immediately after this? Oh, JOY!! :D :D :D And we don't mind you being slow...the wait will be well worth it!

23. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm so behind. [face_blush]

My favorite part from the last post:

She would leave tomorrow, and she wouldn't look back. Looking back could only bring heartache, and the Emperor's Hand would not succumb to anything as trivial as heartache.

Mara Jade collapsed onto her shabby couch, and wept.

And this post:

"Lorrd," came the soft voice from the rear of the double cockpit.

"What?! That's a three-day trip! They expect me to spend three days cooped up with ..." Mara caught herself, changing gears midsentence. "... in this crate?"

"No, say it. Three days with me."

Mara blew out a breath, taking some measure of satisfaction in his sullen tone of voice. "So what is our mission, really? Rescue some Rebel prisoner?"

She heard a low chuckle. "And put him where? In the storage compartment? Or will he ride back on your lap?"

Okay, I like them better when they're not fighting, but I must say they're pretty amusing when they are, and you write it well. :D

24. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Gonna try to do replies tonight so I'll time in the morning to put up another post.

GreatOne: LOL!! Luke lied to Mara!!!

For poor Luke's sake, let's think of it more as a misrepresentation. :D

maramijade: all those additions to the code LOL Yoda'd be rolling in his nonexistant grave. . .

Or rapping Luke's knuckles with his gimer stick. ;)

jacen200015: actually i think Yoda would be trying to wack them with his stick.

See, jacen200015 agrees with me! [face_laugh]

to bad he's one with the Force and can't actually do it.

Ah, but that's the magic of being a dead Jedi -- you can always come back to haunt your padawan.

Rivad_Bacar: well, anyway, the B-wing is much more roomy than any other Alliance starfighter!

I don't think she appreciated being in a starfighter, period.

Thanks!

Jaina_and_Jag: Although he's with Mara, he wants her to think he isn't just the innocent farmboy from Tatooine that she already thinks he is.

But the question is, will she be glad or disappointed when she finds out. IF she finds out. ;)

JainaPadmeJade: Oooh Luke lied to her...and watch Mara lie to him.

You think she will? We'll have to wait and see.

J_M_Bulldog: At least they're talking, eh, somewhat.

Talking, shouting, pouting, whispering...

Me thinks that if Anakin could hear their *ahem* revised Jedi Code he'd be laughing his head off.

Me thinks so, too. Young Anakin, anyway ... before the dark times,... before the Empire.

kayladie97: Now, though, I'm not so sure...he's scheming and lying.

Perhaps deviousness is his strong suit. ;)

I wonder how he explained to Leia who his partner for this mission was. I'm sure THAT went over well.

Who says he did? Devious, remember. Scheming, lying. What's become of our boy?

But, Book 3 will start immediately after this? Oh, JOY!!

I didn't say immediately. Probably have a week or so in between. And don't expect posts every day. I haven't even finished writing it yet.

And we don't mind you being slow...the wait will be well worth it!

Definitely remains to be seen. :p

Gabri_Jade: Okay, I like them better when they're not fighting, but I must say they're pretty amusing when they are, and you write it well.

They are easier to write when they're fighting, that's for sure.

I'll do my best to get a post up in the morning. Unless I should wait a few days, to let all you 'behinders' get caught up! :D

>

25. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    WOOOHOO!!! Let the games begin! I just wanted to let you know that I finally got the time to sign on and catch up on this story, and I'm extremely excited about being onboard for the ride! I read about half of Book 2 on your site but for some reason I didn't finish it, so now I guess I'll have to get used to my new 'Have-not' status ;) Anyway, so far it's excellent- I love seeing Luke and Mara fight even after they've acknowledged their 'friendship'...and they're so adorable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.