main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends A Journey of Discovery-Bk.2: Pledge (L/M, H/L, OC's) Completed 4/2/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Welcome, Miska!

I read about half of Book 2 on your site but for some reason I didn't finish it, so now I guess I'll have to get used to my new 'Have-not' status

About half, huh? So then you know ... But you may not know that ... [face_laugh] Hope you enjoy the rest of the ride!

This next scene is for Gabri, who likes to see them fight. :D

[b]Chapter 2-C[/b]

By the middle of the second day of their journey, both Luke and Mara were tired, cramped, and cranky. Using the crude waste receptacles only while the other was sleeping proved awkward, and Luke's attempts at teaching Mara some Jedi relaxation techniques turned out to be anything but relaxing.

It was Mara's discovery that the piloting controls at her station had been disabled that served to fuel her growing indignation, however.

"It's just that only pilots who are rated for B-wings are allowed to fly them," Luke wearily tried to explain. "It's nothing personal against you."

"Oh, sure," Mara spat sarcastically. "I suppose if Her Highness, your sister, had been the one coming along, she'd be sitting here helpless like me?"

"You're not helpless," Luke muttered. That was the last adjective he'd ever use to describe Mara Jade. "Look, you've got access to the most powerful weapons on any Alliance fighter. If they didn't trust you, those would have been switched off, too."

"Can I swivel them around to shoot at the seat behind me?" Mara said with a smirk. Though he did have a point ? the weapons array was intriguingly impressive. With any luck, she'd have a chance to use them. Hmmmm ... "If we happen upon some asteroids, can I take some target practice?" she asked hopefully.

"Well ..." Luke bit his bottom lip, contemplating her request. He wouldn't mind some target practice himself. It sure would break the monotony. "As a matter of fact, we'll be dropping out of hyperspace in a few minutes for a course change, because ..." he paused dramatically, "there's an asteroid field we have to navigate around."

Mara couldn't believe it ? Mr. 'Never Break the Rules' was going to loosen up and let them have some fun. Her fingers were already itching to rip loose and shoot something.

Luke watched the countdown display for realspace conversion, and the star lines shrank into pinpricks of light. He grinned to himself as the predicted chunks of rock floated lazily in the distance.

"No proton torpedoes," he cautioned, imagining Ackbar skinning his hide if they came back with all the torpedoes missing.

"Spoilsport," Mara snipped, quickly deploying the S-foils into combat position. Her ion cannons were already blasting away as soon as Luke maneuvered within firing range. The pair spent nearly two hours trying out every kind of armament the B-wing carried ? laser cannons, ion cannons, targeting lasers, auto blasters ? everything except the valuable torpedoes. The complex gyro-stabilization system creaked with the effort of keeping pace with the sudden maneuvers its Force-strong wielders were putting it through.

Luke smiled as an exuberant "Yahoo!" sounded from the front of the cockpit. This was a great stress reliever, no doubt about it. It wasn't that Luke didn't have any misgivings concerning their impromptu assault exercises; he justified them by deciding it could be crucial in the future to know how the ship would respond with a Jedi at the controls. Somehow, targeting asteroids was much more satisfying to him now than the exhilaration he could still remember feeling when he blasted his first TIE fighter a lifetime ago, from the belly turret of the [i]Millenium Falcon.[/i]

But, all good things must come to an end, and it wouldn't look good for him to be late arriving at Lorrd, either.

"Okay, hotshot." Luke smiled to himself at the opportunity to call someone else by the nickname he was so often labeled with. "We need to leave some for the next bored wayfarers coming this way."

Mara let out a relaxed sigh. She felt a hundred percent better now, and couldn't imagine anything happening in the next few hours to rui>

2. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Hmmmmmmm..... another Luke and Mara stranded on a hostile planet scenario..... [face_devil]

Good post!! :)

3. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Nothing like blowing up stuff to help relax you. ;)

I loved the fighting too. :D

4. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Oh, boy. They are stuck on a unexplored planet. What in the galaxy will they run into here I wonder?

And how will the rest of the galaxy take that Luke was late to Lorrd?

5. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    oh this one was good!!

i loved the asteroid field part...mara finally got lukie to loosen up!!

mara nad luke remind me of a married couple with hwo they fight....it's just so cute!!

and their farewell was too sweet!!

luke's "i can fix anything " line reminds me to much of his father in EPII

6. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    For me? :eek: [face_love] Thank you! :D And I love this part, too. :D

"It's just that only pilots who are rated for B-wings are allowed to fly them," Luke wearily tried to explain. "It's nothing personal against you."

I can just see the expression on his face. :p

Mara returned his taunts with a glare that would have caused a rancor to cower. "I've been trained to repair a dozen different hyperdrives. I could figure this one out," she growled.

"When? Before we turn thirty?" His tolerance had completely dissipated by now. "Look, I can fix anything, and I'm going to fix this!" Luke gestured wildly toward the grounded craft, ignoring her strangled choke of contempt at his egotistical boasting. "You hike to that village we spotted and try to get a replacement part for this broken stabilizer rod." He shoved the snapped rod into her hand. "I'll stay here and repair the hyperdrive. And I'll work on rigging a substitution for the rod, just in case you can't manage your assignment."

Mara was livid. "My assignment! Who put you in charge?!"

One of my favorite Luke/Mara exchanges of the whole story. [face_love] Well, there might be a couple better . . . [face_mischief]

7. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    I'm not keeping up with posts very well, am I?

I'm enjoying them though, and from a readers point of view it's always nice to come in and be able to read a lot.

The Mara/Luke interaction is great, especially as it's only them. It's also nice to see them handling a different situation and seeing them work together in a way we haven't yet.

I am worried about them going their separate ways for now, but I guess we'll find out more in the future, won't we?

8. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D They have so many mood flucuations! lol. At first, Mara wants to be as far away from him as possible then the next minute she doesn't want to leave. [face_laugh] They're great! :D Can't wait for more! :)

9. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    I'll just do some replies today, and save the next post until tomorrow. Hopefully that'll give some of you a chance to catch up. Sunday is a day of rest, after all. ;)

Oh, and thanks to all of you who voted for Pendulum in the awards ceremony. Now I have to go check out that 'Legacy' story sometime. :D

GreatOne: another Luke and Mara stranded on a hostile planet scenario.....

Aren't those the best kind? Seriously, no copying was done in any direction, I assure you. Unless you count me copying off my own 'As Long As We're Together' story, where L&M are stranded in another galaxy. I have a limited imagination. :p

RebelMom: I loved the fighting too.

See, L&M are just as good in the bickering department as H&L are. :D

J_M_Bulldog: They are stuck on a unexplored planet. What in the galaxy will they run into here I wonder?

You'll find out the same time as Luke and Mara.

And how will the rest of the galaxy take that Luke was late to Lorrd?

That remains to be seen.

JainaPadmeJade: Thanks!

luke's "i can fix anything " line reminds me to much of his father in EPII

He is his father's son, for better or worse.

Gabri_Jade: You're welcome. :) This part was fun to write. Only Mara can get Luke so worked up.

Kazzy: I'm enjoying them though, and from a readers point of view it's always nice to come in and be able to read a lot.

I'm not expecting everyone to catch every post. I like to read several posts of a story all at once, too.

It's also nice to see them handling a different situation and seeing them work together in a way we haven't yet.

And the situation is soon to get even more different. ;)

I am worried about them going their separate ways for now, but I guess we'll find out more in the future, won't we?

In the very near future, I promise. :)

Jaina_and_Jag: They have so many mood flucuations! lol. At first, Mara wants to be as far away from him as possible then the next minute she doesn't want to leave.

Yep, that pendulum is continuing to swing in this book, too, isn't it? ;) Makes things more interesting.

Next post tomorrow morning. Suppose I should go check how the Super Bowl is coming...

10. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    hmmmm, crashed on a planet . . .. alone together. . . [face_love] I see posibilities .. . ;)

they better decide to start being nice to each other. . . or at least stop fighting for five minutes or else things could get a bit sticky. . .

11. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I LOVE THIS STORY!

I think somebody already quoted this, but just in case, I'll quote it again:

"When? Before we turn thirty?" His tolerance had completely dissipated by now. "Look, I can fix anything, and I'm going to fix this!" Luke gestured wildly toward the grounded craft, ignoring her strangled choke of contempt at his egotistical boasting. "You hike to that village we spotted and try to get a replacement part for this broken stabilizer rod." He shoved the snapped rod into her hand. "I'll stay here and repair the hyperdrive. And I'll work on rigging a substitution for the rod, just in case you can't manage your assignment."

One of the reasons this story is one of my two very favorite L/M stories (tied with IP) is the way you portray Luke. He's not some holier-than-thou person with no emotions. I love the way you did this, with his boasting, "I can fix anything!". LOL. I love that line. Goes to show you that Jedi are people too. ;)

12. Jayden112233

Jayden112233 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2003
    2B I've caught up with your story in 1 day, much to my family's chagrin...I love it! I couldn't stop reading it. I can't wait for more. I wish Luke or Mara would just break down and confess their feelings, but then I guess that would ruin your fic. I can't wait for more. You are an awesome writer!

13. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    maramijade: hmmmm, crashed on a planet . . .. alone together. . . I see posibilities .. .

Always good possibilities when they're stranded together. Even Zahn had to isolate them on Nirauan in order for them to finally see the light.

EmilieDarklighter: One of the reasons this story is one of my two very favorite L/M stories (tied with IP) is the way you portray Luke. He's not some holier-than-thou person with no emotions.

I tried to make Luke somewhere between 'Shadows of the Empire'-Luke, and 'Return of the Jedi'-Luke. Still young and naive, still trying to find his niche in the demanding realm of the Jedi, not all Jedi Master-serious yet.

Jayden112233: A marathon reader! Thanks! :D More coming right now.

[b]Chapter 3-A[/b]

Mixed emotions swirling through her, Mara plodded along the rocky ground for hours. While she and Luke had not spent every day together since their escape from the Emperor's palace two months ago, this would be the first time they'd be apart for as long as a week. She had gotten used to having him around. His warm presence was such a welcome change from Palpatine's cold darkness. What in the galaxy had made her even consider fleeing Coruscant ? stealing away without so much as saying goodbye to him. She could imagine the hurt look on his face if she had cut and run while on this mission. No matter how much they argued or complained or taunted, there was an undeniable connection between them ? a connection of friendship and loyalty that neither of them would willingly sever.

She almost reached out through the Force to him, just for reassurance that he was still there, but stopped. She had finally acquired a semblance of independence, and she wasn't about to let it appear that she needed him. Mara Jade ? ex-assassin, ex-Emperor's Hand ? needed no one.

[i]Yes, you do,[/i] a small voice said. [i]You need him. And he needs you.[/i]

Mara automatically started to refute what her conscience was telling her, then paused. Okay, maybe that last part was true. He did need her. He needed someone to keep him on the right path ? the pathway of light. Luke had demonstrated that unquestioningly at the Ranat Roost. And who better to guide him than she, who had ample experience with dark siders, and who could feel the dark side building inside him before he ever opened his mouth or raised a hand. It would be a challenge and a heavy responsibility, but she could do it. Mara smiled to herself as she resumed her trek. In fact, it could easily be a lifelong commitment.

Luke kept at his task until nearly dark, his hands tugging at the recalcitrant stabilizer components, but his mind many kilometers away. What in the galaxy had possessed him to snap at her that way? Frustration at this blasted ship? Embarrassment that he hadn't magically been able to fix everything immediately? Annoyance that they'd been sent on this unwanted mission, anyway?

Leaning back, Luke tossed his hydrospanner into the toolkit. He'd finished the repairs to the hyperdrive several hours ago, but he had no doubts about his inability to restore the gyro-stabilizer to working condition without that rod. He could only hope Mara would somehow find a replacement. Wiping his brow on his sleeve, he sighed and looked up at the sky. Clouds obscured any star sightings, and thunder rumbled in the far distance. The wind picked up as he walked around the perimeter of the area, stretching his stiff muscles. A storm was coming, and soon.

After packing up his tools and supplies, Luke walked back to the ship. Just as he climbed into the cockpit, raindrops were starting to fall, splattering loudly against the canopy. He settled into the pilot's chair, munching on a ration bar. As they had all day, his thoughts centered on Mara. Luke hoped she had time to erect a shelter before the storm hit. He regretted sending her out after that rod. He should have gone himself; then she could be here in the dry, albeit cramped, cockpit. It wasn't like he was making any headway>

14. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    That Mara! She is just so stubborn! hehe.. Good postie. :)

15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Mara is very stubborn. I liked Luke's thoughts too.

16. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It's so sweet that they're thinking of each other the entire time. [face_love] I always love your characterization, Michele. Very nicely done. :D

17. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Yup, that's Mara. So stubborn to go at it with no sleep. Hehe, but I can't say anything against her. I'm just as stubborn :p

[face_devil] cliffie, Jedi-2B, but great post.

18. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    She doesn't like to sleep... there's just something wrong with that! :p

Great post!

19. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post!!! :D Mara is ridiculas!!! I can't believe she didn't sleep... but she wanted to get back to Luke so it's understandable. :p

Now I have to go check out that 'Legacy' story sometime.
    It's really good... but just so you know, it's the sequel to another really long fic. :)

20. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    This was a sweet post. Ya know what they say....parting makes the heart grow fonder!!

Darn that stubborn Mara!!! I loved how they were thinking baout each other...maybe they should tell one another that!

RUN luke RUN!!

21. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Review everything you read. That's what someone once told me to do. And I'm not real good at doing reviews for multiple chapters so I try to stick to review per chapter. Besides, I write, I appreciate reviews, so does everyone else.

Yes, you do, a small voice said. You need him. And he needs you. At the risk of being clichéd - 'it took you that long to figure this out?' ;)

It's nice to have Mara come to that conclusion, at the very least. Hopefully, it'll give some peace of mind. But now she's been hurt, that's no good. Are angry natives going to come and kidnap her away?

I liked that chapter, a lot. Can't really explain why, I just did. Maybe I just have a thing for forests.

22. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: That Mara! She is just so stubborn!

'Mara' and 'stubborn' are kinda synonymous, aren't they? ;)

RebelMom: Mara is very stubborn.

See above reply. [face_laugh]

Gabri_Jade: It's so sweet that they're thinking of each other the entire time.

Is there anything else worth thinking about? :D It's about time that they start doing something about those thoughts, though. :)

J_M_Bulldog: I'm just as stubborn

Stubborn as a bulldog? :D

...cliffie, Jedi-2B, but great post.

Cliffie resolution coming right up.

Rivad_Bacar: She doesn't like to sleep... there's just something wrong with that!

Never thought of it in that way, but so true! [face_laugh]

Jaina_and_Jag: I can't believe she didn't sleep... but she wanted to get back to Luke so it's understandable.

Yep, perfectly understandable!

It's really good... but just so you know, it's the sequel to another really long fic.

Maybe I should put it on my to-do list for after I finish writing Book 3 -- along with all the other fics I want to check out after reading all those excerpts for the awards thingy.

JainaPadmeJade: I loved how they were thinking about each other...maybe they should tell one another that!

And ruin perfectly good angsty UST? :p

RUN luke RUN!!

Think he can run as fast as Forrest (thru the forest)? [face_laugh]

Kazzy: Besides, I write, I appreciate reviews, so does everyone else.

Well, I certainly appreciate it!

Are angry natives going to come and kidnap her away?

[face_laugh] You'll soon find out.

I liked that chapter, a lot. Can't really explain why, I just did. Maybe I just have a thing for forests.

Then you're in luck, 'cause they're not out of the woods yet!

More coming right up...

23. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Luke had been running for most of the day, oblivious to fatigue. He was glad it was no longer raining. Not that it would have slowed him down, but the thought of Mara lying out in the pouring rain ... They'd come too far, endured too much together, for him to lose her now.

He pushed onward, feeling Mara's barely perceptible presence slowly growing nearer. He called out to her several times, but apparently she was still unconscious.

Luke finally stopped shortly before dusk to get his bearings. She was close now, very close. He walked forward perhaps ten meters and came to the edge of a steep drop-off. The essence of Mara's presence was so strong here it was nearly tangible ? exhaustion, surprise, panic. Pain. Peering down through the gloom, he could just make out a spot of dull orange. No!

He found her in a crumpled heap, lying in a shallow impression half filled with rainwater. Luke gently lifted her head, pushing her dirty, tangled hair away from her still face. He checked for broken bones, and was relieved to find none, though her left ankle looked swollen.

"C'mon, Mara. Talk to me."

Her skin felt frozen; her lips were blue. Though her flightsuit was water-repellant, it hadn't been sealed at the collar and wrists, allowing her clothes underneath to be thoroughly soaked. Ice crystals were forming in the folds of the coarse outer material and in the strands of her wet hair.

Luke hadn't even noticed the freezing temperature when he was running. Now he realized the danger ? Mara was almost frozen to death.

"Come back to me, Mara," he whispered in desperation as he clutched her against his body. Picking her up, he surveyed his surroundings. The ground was saturated all around them, and the wind was growing stronger, stinging his face sharply. The tiny one-man shelter in his pack wouldn't offer nearly enough protection from the bitter cold. He had to get her somewhere dry and warm.

Luke closed his eyes and did his best to relax. The Force would guide him. It had to.

He slowly opened his eyes, and turned to the southwest. That way, the Force seemed to whisper.

Snatching up Mara's fallen pack, he set off at a brisk pace. He had walked only a few minutes when something made him stop. Here, came the Force's soothing call. Holding a glow rod out, he shined it all around. A small mammal darted through a growth of underbrush, and Luke saw a stone outcropping, beneath which was an almost hidden indentation in the rock.

Luke pulled a clump of brush away and bent slightly to gain entrance. Waving the glow rod around, he saw that the ground inside was dry and the air was still. Only extending about five meters back, it could barely be called a cave, but it would be more than sufficient to provide them with shelter.

After gently laying Mara's limp body down, Luke pulled out one of their thin survival blankets. Spreading it out on the hard-packed dirt, he moved her on top of it, then retrieved the portable heaters from both their packs and turned them on full power. Luke knew he had to get the wet clothes off Mara to prevent hypothermia, but then what? A search of both packs revealed no spare clothes, and he wasn't sure if two blankets alone would be enough. If only he had thought to bring a dry flightsuit with him from the ship.

Luke glanced down at himself. He did have one dry set of clothes. Even the fatigues he wore underneath shouldn't be too sweaty, as they were made from a special-weave fabric designed for ventilation during long space flights.

His mind made up, Luke shucked off his own boots and flightsuit, then gingerly tugged Mara's boots off and began undoing the fasteners on her sodden jumpsuit. Moving quickly, he pulled it off her nearly frozen body, followed by her shirt and pants. He hesitated a second as he reached her undergarments, then continued on, as they were likewise soaked.

"You can give me a tongue-lashing for this later, Mara," he whispered. "I'll welcome the sound of hearing your voice again."

These were not the circumstances under which he dreamed

24. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    Wow! Mara didn't kill Luke when she woke up and found out he'd undressed her!! :eek: She IS getting softer! :p

25. Jayden112233

Jayden112233 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2003
    I read you last postie yesterday, but didn't have time to reply. I came back to do so today, and lookie lookie....a new post! You are a speed demon (not that I'm complaining). Great posts, as usual! I loved how Mara was the one to snuggle up next to Luke and the fact that he didn't verbally acknowledge it, but just reacted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.