main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends A Journey of Discovery-Bk.2: Pledge (L/M, H/L, OC's) Completed 4/2/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Aww, Luke rescued Mara! [face_love] I love the way he ran non-stop until he reached her side...so beautifully done.

She looked at him intently. "I trust you." If it had been anyone else ...

I agree with GreatOne! If that's not a sign that Mara is softening towards Luke, then I don't know what is. ;)

It isn't like we're going to go all the way tonight." An alternate meaning for his last sentence sprang unbidden to Luke's mind.

Boy, Luke really has sex on the brain in this series, doesn't he? :D After his response to her "I want a part of Luke Skywalker in me" statement in Pendulum, he'd better tread VERY carefully!

It was thinking of himself as a grown man, not a boy, that he was having trouble with. Perhaps it was because Han wouldn't quit calling him 'kid.'

What a telling statement of how Luke sees himself, even after all the amazing things he's done. I can sympathize, though...I didn't really feel like I was a grown-up until I hit 30! [face_laugh]

And that kiss! Wow, very passionate. Hmmm, was he REALLY asleep? I can't remember so I guess I'll have to wait like everyone else until the next chapter. :D

More soon! :)

BTW, I'm going out to buy Survivor's Quest later today. I so hope it will live up to my expectations, which have grown considerably in the last six months! :D :D

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I just love that kiss.

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D Luke is rubbing off on her... first he does that to keep her warm and then she does that to keep him warm. [face_love] That kiss... very very sweet. [face_love] More coming, I hope. [face_mischief]

4. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Mara felt herself falling into a peaceful slumber, her dreams merging with reality.

Sigh! You write some of the most romantic lines J2B! [face_love] Our dreams of love and friendship really CAN come true! [face_love]

5. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Stubborn as a bulldog? :eek: Who told you? *glances around* Who told her my secret? :p

Yay! He found her and she's alive. *whew* That's a load off the mind.

Was he really asleep?

6. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    So, was he awake or was he alseep? that will be the question.

Lovely chapter. More forest! But no angry natives? ;)

They are both this close, but neither sees what the other is seeing. It's very cute but very frustarting.

Have I mentioned lately that was a lovely chapter? keeping each other warm, awwww.....

7. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: Mara didn't kill Luke when she woke up and found out he'd undressed her!!

Always a good measure of her temperament. :)

Jayden112233: You are a speed demon (not that I'm complaining).

Just the opposite. I can only post this fast because it was written a long time ago. I'm terribly slow at writing.

kayladie97: I love the way he ran non-stop until he reached her side...so beautifully done.

All that training on Dagobah actually paid off!

Hmmm, was he REALLY asleep?

Hmmm, was he? I'm not sure... ;)

BTW, I'm going out to buy Survivor's Quest later today. I so hope it will live up to my expectations, which have grown considerably in the last six months!

Got it late yesterday, and haven't had a chance to read much yet. So far I haven't had any trouble reminding myself that Zahn isn't known for great romantic interludes.

RebelMom: I just love that kiss.

Thanks! (Another reminder that I'm up to chapter 3 in SQ and there's been NO kissing yet.) :p

Jaina_and_Jag: Luke is rubbing off on her... first he does that to keep her warm and then she does that to keep him warm.

Guess it is a good thing they landed there in winter after all -- gives them lots of chances to keep each other warm. :D

Rivad_Bacar: Thanks! :)

J_M_Bulldog: Was he really asleep?

That's the 64,000 credit question!

Kazzy: So, was he awake or was he alseep? that will be the question.

I hope you all aren't expecting a definitive answer to that. Ever. :p

8. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Chapter 3-C

Luke awoke just as daybreak was dawning. He felt as if he were missing something, or someone. He peered across the camp to see Mara packing their gear into their packs. Something fluttered into Luke's eyes, and he gave a start as he realized it was snow.

"It just started a little while ago," came his companion's voice. Luke gave a grunt, then rose to his feet, shaking off the wintry flakes. He watched as Mara folded a blanket tightly, wedging it into her pack. Looking back at his bare sleeping spot, he decided she must have already packed the other covering. He remembered putting both of them over her during the night. But hadn't she ...? Or had he been dreaming ... again?

Mara paused, giving him her usual sarcastic stare. "You gonna help?" She waved toward the remaining equipment. "Or are you taking root right there?"

Jolted out of his reverie, Luke began disassembling the heaters. "Sorry," he muttered. "I was just thinking."

"Uh-huh." Mara took the now-folded heating device from him, stuffing it unceremoniously into his pack. "Sleep well?" she said abruptly.

Luke looked up nervously. Was she implying something? Or sounding him out? He swallowed the lump in his throat, and refocused on the second heater. "Uh, yeah." He glanced out the corner of one eye, trying to gauge her reaction. "How about you?"

"Fine," she said flippantly, grabbing the other heater out of his hand and cramming it into her own pack. She rose, tossing him a ration bar. "Here, you can eat this on the way. We need to get going. This snow doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon."

Luke slung his survival pack onto his back, and peeled open the ration bar. Not surprisingly, Mara had already taken off ahead of him. He hastened to catch up, noting that she still had sense enough to use the walking stick he'd made for her. The snow already covered the ground enough that they left footprints prominently trailing behind them.

Mara plowed along in silence. She probably could have done without the cane, but, well, Luke had made it for her, and she didn't feel like leaving it behind. Not that anybody in the galaxy had better dare call her sentimental. She glanced over her shoulder at her 'shadow,' who looked away quickly when caught staring at her. He hadn't mentioned last night at all, which rather surprised Mara. Luke had a penchant for blurting out all kinds of emotional retrospection, though they hadn't had anything this personal to discuss in a long time. A sudden thought occurred to Mara ? maybe he didn't even remember last night. Maybe he had been asleep the entire time.

Well, she certainly wouldn't be forgetting it any time soon. A flush ran through her as she recalled huddling against him under the warm blankets, his strong arms pulling her closer, his breath warming her cheek, his burning lips covering hers. The thought of falling asleep with him every night like that quickened her pulse, and consequently distracted her enough that she stumbled over a branch half-hidden in the snow. Blast him to all creation!

"Are you okay?" Luke was suddenly at her side, grasping her elbow to prevent her from falling. She pulled away from him brusquely.

"Let go," she demanded. "You don't have to baby me."

"Sorry," he murmured meekly, dropping back to his subservient position. It seemed like he was always apologizing to her for something or other. Which made him believe all the more that he had dreamed what happened between them last night. If he had actually taken that much liberty with her, she'd have bitten his head off. In fact, he probably wouldn't even be alive right now to be thinking about it. Well, at least it had been a good dream. Wasn't the first time he'd awakened with images of Mara still floating in his head. But aside from that dream of them together in the whirlpool, it was definitely the most realistic. He wouldn't mind having one like that every night. Perhaps even with a little more detail. Or a lot more.

Luke sighed to himself, trudging along through the deepen

9. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    That was sweet. I like how Luke told Mara about his rescue on Hoth... maybe that will make her like Han, at least a little bit, since she has fallen in love with Luke at this point. :)

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Nice telling of Luke's Hoth adventure. It's great to get deeper into how he was feeling.
    *sigh* I love the romance. [face_love]

11. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Ah, so he thought he dreamed it! BUT, Mara was definitely awake! ;) That's got to be considered a good sign. That and the fact that she takes the walking stick just because Luke made it for her and she wants to keep it. [face_love] [face_love]

I liked Luke's relating his Hoth "adventure" to her...with all that happened in ROTJ, you sometimes forget the impact that must have had on him.

As Mara listened to Luke's narrative, she felt her insides clenching at the thought of how close he came to dying ? and how close she came to never meeting him. The fate of the galaxy, and her own fate, had teetered unknowingly on the actions of a hungry beast and the steadfast friendship of a strong-willed smuggler.

Oh, yeah, she's in love! [face_laugh] She's just not willing to admit it to him yet. And I like that she shows respect for Han and the friendship that he and Luke share.

He hugged her a little tighter and grasped the walking stick once more. They both lowered their heads and braced themselves to pierce the fury of the snowstorm. But their hearts were a little warmer as they met the gust of wind that greeted them.

Very sweet! I like the image of them facing the storm together. [face_love]

Can't wait for more!!

12. Rivad_Bacar

Nov 7, 2002
    I've never claimed to always do the smart thing.
    [face_laugh] At least Luke's honest!

And now for the big one...

"Hey, you, we'll be fine." She reached up with her thumbs, pushing up the corners of his mouth into a smile. "I want to see a real smile." A genuine, melt-a-girl's-heart, Skywalker smile, she thought.
    And she got it.
    Mara's heart skipped a beat. Stars, she wanted him! She reached up with just one hand this time, and traced his lips with a fingertip. "Your lips are chapped," she whispered, just loud enough to be heard over the wind's howl.
    Luke hesitated only a second before leaning over and kissing her gently. "So are yours," he whispered back, before straightening up and smiling once more.
    "Flirting again, Jedi? What will people think?"
    "I'll let you in on a secret, Jade. You're the only one who's ever witnessed me flirting."
    "Do tell. And why would that be?"
    "Because there's no one else I have any desire to flirt with."

[face_love] Wow! If that doesn't tell you how much he likes you Mara, I don't know WHAT will! And woo-hoo Luke! That takes a lot of guts to tell someone you are falling for that, well, you like them and want to see what happens! [face_love]

13. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    "Where are your clothes?" she blurted out suddenly.

Luke gave a little chuckle. "You're wearing them."

*grins* Poor Mara. That's a little disorienting.

"I think Ben guided him, but don't bring up that theory to Han."

LOL! No, better not mention that to Han. :p

"Flirting again, Jedi? What will people think?"

"I'll let you in on a secret, Jade. You're the only one who's ever witnessed me flirting."

"Do tell. And why would that be?"

"Because there's no one else I have any desire to flirt with."

My favorite lines out of that whole post. [face_love] They're so cute when they flirt. [face_love] :p

14. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Awww, look at that. There getting closer. Sweet [face_love]

I don't think I could post my favorite lines, cause I'd end up posting the entire thing :p

[face_love] it. T'was so sweet and funny and I liked how Luke told her of his Hoth *ahem* adventure.

15. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Guess it is a good thing they landed there in winter after all -- gives them lots of chances to keep each other warm.
    [face_mischief] Alright!

Great post! :D They are so cute!!! [face_love] Luke is so cute when he flirts... I envy Mara. :p

16. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    No time 2 say much, I jsut finished a marathon read of part one and this.

Good stuff.

goodnight.

17. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Aww, that made me smile, and I needed to smile today. Thank you. :)

I really don't like snow, it's all cold and wet and ick!

18. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: I like how Luke told Mara about his rescue on Hoth... maybe that will make her like Han, at least a little bit, since she has fallen in love with Luke at this point.

I don't think she necessarily doesn't like Han; she's just not friendly with anyone yet. So yes, this might make her look at Han in a warmer light.

RebelMom: Nice telling of Luke's Hoth adventure. It's great to get deeper into how he was feeling.

I do like having the characters reveal their feelings (at least the way I believe they'd feel) of the events we saw in the movies.

I guess you noticed he didn't go on to tell Mara how Leia kissed him in the infirmary! [face_laugh]

kayladie97: Ah, so he thought he dreamed it!

Luke's thoughts reminded me of the scene in The Two Towers, where Aragorn is dreaming of Arwyn, and she tells him that it's a good dream.

That and the fact that she takes the walking stick just because Luke made it for her and she wants to keep it.

Or she only wanted to keep the stick to whack Luke with when he gets out of line. :p

I liked Luke's relating his Hoth "adventure" to her...with all that happened in ROTJ, you sometimes forget the impact that must have had on him.

Right. Hoth is soon forgotten when the action moves to Dagobah and Bespin. I certainly didn't care for that Infinities comic, where there was a different outcome on Hoth. :_|

Rivad_Bacar: And woo-hoo Luke! That takes a lot of guts to tell someone you are falling for that, well, you like them and want to see what happens!

Luke's bravery in telling Mara how he feels will soon falter. ;)

Gabri_Jade: They're so cute when they flirt.

Aren't they? :) *grumbles about lack of flirting in Survivor's Quest*

J_M_Bulldog: Thanks!

T'was so sweet and funny and I liked how Luke told her of his Hoth *ahem* adventure.

'Adventure' is putting it mildly! :D

Jaina_and_Jag: Luke is so cute when he flirts... I envy Mara.

:D See, she just had to grab him when he was still young and flirty, not after he turned into an old stick-in-the-mud Master.

_3MD_PsychoSniper: A new reader! Welcome! :D Hope you like the rest, and thanks for your comments on the Book One thread, too!

Kazzy: Aww, that made me smile, and I needed to smile today.

Glad to be of service! Hope future chapters will keep you smiling.

I really don't like snow, it's all cold and wet and ick!

We just had our first significant snow of the winter in my town (5-6"). I think it's cold and wet and pretty! [face_laugh]

Jacen200015: Read your comment over on the Pendulum thread, and glad to hear you won't be a squealer! ;)

Thanks, everyone. More in a minute.

19. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Slight deviation in my usual posting pattern for this chapter -- it's shorter than the others, so I'll just divide it into two parts instead of three.

This post is for Kazzy, who's been dying to see the 'angry natives.' [face_laugh]

[b]Chapter 4-A[/b]

Luke and Mara trudged onward for hours, bantering off and on through their mindlink, but mostly just putting one weary foot in front of the other in silence, both lost in their own private thoughts. Eventually the snow turned to sleet, stinging their eyes mercilessly. They were almost grateful when the sleet changed to rain, even though their so-called weatherproof flightsuits didn't keep the chilling dampness from penetrating to their bones.

Sundown was fast approaching when the hapless pair crested a small hill and looked down into a tiny village nestled in a picturesque valley.

"I don't see any spaceports," Mara commented, pulling the sodden scarf down as her teeth chattered in the cold drizzle.

"No," Luke agreed, peering through the dusky gloom. "I don't either. But we're not here to acquire a new ship?"

"We're not?" Mara interrupted sarcastically. "Stang!"

"We're here," Luke continued smoothly, purposely ignoring her tone, "to get a new stabilizer rod, and if possible, get a message out."

Carefully making their way down the slick hillside, they entered the village proper, curiously studying the quaint shops and homes as they traversed the cobblestone streets. Slushy snow squished under their booted feet.

Flickering flames of light shone through old-fashioned glass windowpanes, and citizens, bundled up against the cold, hurried through the light drizzle. A few of the more inquisitive, pausing to observe the strangely dressed newcomers, pointed and whispered among themselves.

"I haven't seen any species yet other than human," Luke observed. "I wonder if the whole planet is human-only, or if the settlements are segregated?"

"Frankly, I don't care," Mara groused. "But we can't just wander up and down the streets, Jedi, discussing their isolationist practices," she continued. "We're going to have to stop and ask for directions at some point. I, for one, would like to get out of this rain."

Luke was ready to find a warm, dry spot himself. "All right," he responded slowly, looking around at the surrounding buildings. "Over there." He pointed down the street. "Looks like some kind of cantina."

Mara took off in the direction he indicated without a moment's hesitation, with Luke hurrying to catch up. He stopped short, though, as he noted that the shingle for the Lucky Red Bone Pub was written in Basic. The style of the script was archaic and the words were spelled a bit differently than normal, reminding Luke of ancient writing he had seen in historical documents. But it was Basic nevertheless, and a planet whose human inhabitants spoke Basic surely should have been on their navigational charts.

All conversation in the pub ceased as the two drenched, orange-garbed travelers entered. Luke took the initiative and addressed the wide-eyed gawkers.

"Hello," he began, sensing no antagonism, only curiosity. "Uhm ... we were wondering if ..."

He was interrupted by the booming voice of the bartender. "Greetings to ye both, young strangers." He welcomed them with a thick, guttural accent. "Come, have a seat. Can I get ye somethin' to drink?"

"No, thank you," Luke returned, trying to place the man's brogue. "We just need some directions."

"We need to find a repair shop," Mara put in, still standing even though a nearby patron had pulled out a chair for her.

"Aye, we'll help ye all we can." The bartender came closer, motioning to an empty table near a large fireplace. "But at least let me get ye both a tankard of ale," he added, as a sneeze escaped Mara.

"Ale nothin', Efam," a large-boned, middle-aged matron objected. "Why, these young folks are chilled clear through. What they need is some hot tea." She bustled off to where a kettle sat on a primitive-looking cooking unit.

Luke tugged on Mara's sleeve and>

20. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Oh man, a low tech world.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!1

good psot.

21. Rivad_Bacar

Nov 7, 2002
    Well, at least they didn't land near Mayberry with only Gommer or Goober to fix the stabilizer rod... :D

22. Jayden112233

Jayden112233 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2003
    Ah, another great post! The natives seem awfully friendly, but I think you have something up your sleeve with them. Can't wait for the next postie.

23. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I kept waiting for Hercules and Ioalus to show up... or maybe Xena! LOL!!

24. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    ~*~*~*~*~* Post 3000 ~*~*~*~*~*~

:D I'm all spiffy now. . . ;)

heheh so they made it to the town . . .

wow this place must REALLY be out a peice. . not to know what the Empire and the Rebellion and the Republic were. . . ;)

hmmmm. ...

well . . . Luke/ Mara . . . maybe even people who have never met you, never seen you, and never even HEARD of you before, can see more than either of you can. well they say love is blind. ..

25. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D Poor Luke and Mara, they're on a world without the technology they're used to. This is gonna be fun to read. [face_mischief]

*I'm not expecting you to do anything tonight, Farmboy.*

Luke wasn't quite sure if she didn't want him to do anything, or didn't think he was capable of it. And he wasn't about to ask for clarification.

[face_laugh] That was great! [face_laugh]

Can't wait for more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.