main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends A Journey of Discovery-Bk.2: Pledge (L/M, H/L, OC's) Completed 4/2/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I love these people. :D

2. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hehe, they're on a low tech world that has no idea who they are. I can just imagine that if Luke said his last name the people'd be like "Oh, that's nice. Now, ye need to eat somethin'"

And the people thought they were married. [face_laugh] Ehehehehe. *snickers*

3. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    i loved the ppl!! they were really nice!

lol luke and mara with the bed comments. take the hints u two!!

4. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    /waggles eyebrows

howabout we get into a warm bed ?

5. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    angry natives be damned - these people are even more fun :D

I doubt Luke or Mara have come across anything like this before. It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with this. They seem a little puzzled by everything. Of course they are nothing like these people have ever seen before, so fair's fair.

Great chapter.

6. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    _3MD_PsychoSniper: Oh man, a low tech world.

Not low-tech, it's no tech. :D

Rivad_Bacar: Well, at least they didn't land near Mayberry with only Gommer or Goober to fix the stabilizer rod...

The Pyles at least have heard of airplanes, so they'd be a step up on these people.

Jayden112233: The natives seem awfully friendly, but I think you have something up your sleeve with them.

What? You think they'll want to have them for dinner, like the Ewoks did? [face_laugh]

GreatOne: I kept waiting for Hercules and Ioalus to show up... or maybe Xena! LOL!!

The good people of Zembuhl aren't THAT low-tech! Though I do remember once reading a SW/Xena crossover story.

maramijade: Congrats on 3000 posts!

wow this place must REALLY be out a peice. . not to know what the Empire and the Rebellion and the Republic were. . .

It's not so much distance as location -- they're hidden in an uncharted nebula, cut off from the rest of the galaxy.

Jaina_and_Jag: Poor Luke and Mara, they're on a world without the technology they're used to.

And it's gonna be harder for CityGirl than for Farmboy! ;)

RebelMom: I love these people.

Ah, you remember them! Thanks! :)

J_M_Bulldog: I can just imagine that if Luke said his last name the people'd be like "Oh, that's nice. Now, ye need to eat somethin'"

That's just about how it will be. No, the name Skywalker will mean nothing to them. :)

JainaPadmeJade: i loved the ppl!! they were really nice!

They are nice. Well, most of them. [face_mischief]

_3MD_PsychoSniper: Now, now. You and JPJ keep those comments off-list. At least off my list.

Kazzy: angry natives be damned - these people are even more fun

Glad you liked the 'angry natives!' :D

7. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Chapter 4-B

(picks up immediately after yesterday's post -- Merta is taking them up the stairs)

"Here we be," Merta puffed, out of breath from the three-story climb. She opened the door to reveal a rather spacious room, its sloped ceiling indicative of its position under the roof's eaves. Setting her lamp on a small table, she lit another lantern that was mounted on the wall.

Luke's gaze swept around the room, and he appreciatively eyed the assortment of furniture occupying it. A pair of wooden chairs flanked a small table, their blistered paint suggesting they were occasionally left too close to the large stone fireplace. A plain-looking chest with three drawers stood sentry next to a high bed, its carved headboard apparently from the same type of wood as the rest of the furniture.

Wooden furniture of any kind was unheard of on Tatooine, and Rebel accommodations rarely included more than a plasteel desk and chair and a durasteel-frame bunk. To Luke, the hand-crafted bureau and well-worn chairs were just as wondrous as the luxurious furnishings he'd encountered in his Imperial suite.

Merta paused as she noticed the young man drinking in every aspect of the unadorned garret, while the girl merely stood waiting indifferently. "I know 'tis not very fancy up here."

"No, no, it's fine," he assured her.

The landlady nodded in gratitude. "Well, ye'll need to get a fire goin,'... uh..."

"Luke," he supplied, before glancing at his companion.

"Mara," she added her own introduction.

"Aye, pleased to meet ye." Merta gestured toward the fireplace along the outer wall, then looked pointedly at Luke. "Ye'll need to bring up more wood from outside, to keep yer fire goin' all night." He took the hint and bent to stack wood inside the hearth from an adjacent log rack.

Merta motioned Mara to follow her as she entered a small doorway on the opposite wall. "There be a bathin' chamber fer ye in here," she announced, lighting another wall-mounted oil lamp. "Ye might want to be startin' a fire in here, too," she added, "if ye plan on takin' a bath tonight. There's buckets ye can fill with water." She pointed toward an ancient-looking pump sticking up from a wooden cabinet. "And then ye can heat them on the stove, or hang them over the fire." She nodded her head back toward the outer room.

Mara frowned at the squat, black, heating apparatus that sat on a slab of bricks.

"Ye may have to pump a few minutes fer the water to get all the way up here," Merta was continuing, but Mara was busy staring at the oval, footed bathtub. She was already imagining herself sinking down in a tubful of warm water. The last time she'd been in a bathtub had been ... with ... Mara bit her lip as she glanced through the doorway to see Luke coaxing the flames to life in the stone fireplace. She studied him a second, then looked back at the tub.

"It might be a tight squeeze, but ye both are small. I think ye'd fit."

Horrified, Mara jerked around to stare wide-eyed at Merta, who was standing with her hands on her hips and a wide grin on her face.

"No, no," Mara sputtered. "We're not ... It's not ... We're just friends," she finally spit out.

Merta gave a hearty laugh. "Don't worry, lass. I was young once, too, believe it or not."

Obviously these people don't know us very well, Mara thought to herself. At the same time, though, her mind was adding Luke to the image in her head.

Merta proceeded to show Mara the rest of the not-so-modern amenities of the small chamber. The two women then went back out to the bedroom and found Luke hanging his flightsuit over a chair near the fire.

"Mara, I think if we drape our clothes around the fire, they should all be dry by morning," he announced with a smile.

"Sure," Mara replied. Which meant they'd have nothing to sleep in. Wonder if Luke thought that far ahead? Probably not. Then again...

"Ye don't have any other clothes to wear?" Merta broke into the conversation.

"No," Luke answered for both of them, then cleared his throat in attempt to cover the r

8. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    "Mara, I ..." He took a deep breath. "I ..."
    A shiver ran through Mara as she waited for him to finish his sentence. Was he going to say he loved her? And how would she answer?

[face_love]
    Luke felt Mara tremble in his arms. "You're cold. I need to go get more firewood." He pulled back from her embrace. "I'll be back in a few minutes."
    Now? You have to stop right now and go play chivalrous knight? Mara pushed him away none too gently. "Fine," she bit out, not allowing herself to look at his face.

Ohh! So close! :D Don't give up gentlebeings! Love is so worth all the hard work! [face_love]

9. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Ah Luke! I didn't think you could be such a tease! :p

10. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D He was so close to telling her!!! Why couldn't he just finish the sentence?! :_|

Yes, they needed to relax, and she knew the perfect way to do just that.
    *lifts her eyebrow*

Mara is having a attitude change... normally she would have killed him... I think the atmoshpere is a little thin up there. :p

11. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Now the fun begins! :D Luke and Mara trying to survive without all the tech stuff they're accustomed to. And Mara seemed a bit slow on the uptake about realizing this world is so primitive...it's not the usual thing for Luke to figure things out before she does. ;)

but he felt compelled to disclose his deception. 'Confession is good for the soul,' Aunt Beru always said. So why did he feel so miserable?

That's our Lukie, always trying to do the right thing, even if it kills him, and he was probably worried about that literally as he started this confession. I'm so glad that Mara looked at it the way she did. Yet another sign that she's in love! [face_love]

A shiver ran through Mara as she waited for him to finish his sentence. Was he going to say he loved her? And how would she answer?

You'd say it back, you goof!!! :p

Ooh, what is she going to do? I remember even less of this story than I did of Pendulum apparently! Gah, it's almost like being a have-not! Heaven forbid!!!

12. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    *clamps her hand over her eyes and groans* He was so close to telling her he loved her. Argh!

*seriously considers locking them in that room til they tell each other how they feel, then remembers Mara has a lightsaber and a blaster - plus more weapons than most bounty hunters - and then reconsiders* :p

13. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Luke, Luke, Luke :: shakes head::
    What are we going to do with you?

::evil grin, posts, closes window and goes to see her luke and mara in sims. . .::

14. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Got a busy weekend, so I'll do some replies tonight, then let everyone else catch up over the weekend. Next post Monday morning. :D

[b]Rivad_Bacar[/b]: [i]Ohh! So close! Don't give up gentlebeings![/i]

'gentlebeings' -- I love that word! :)

[i]Love is so worth all the hard work![/i]

Couldn't agree more!!

[b]GreatOne[/b]: [i]Ah Luke! I didn't think you could be such a tease![/i]

He didn't think so either. :p

[b]Jaina_and_Jag[/b]: [i]He was so close to telling her!!! Why couldn't he just finish the sentence?![/i]

Cause he's a big chicken. (or whatever the SW equivalent is). And about to prove himself even more of a chicken.

[i]Yes, they needed to relax, and she knew the perfect way to do just that.
    *lifts her eyebrow*[/i]

And just what are you insinuating, missy? :8}

[b]kayladie97[/b]: [i]And Mara seemed a bit slow on the uptake about realizing this world is so primitive...it's not the usual thing for Luke to figure things out before she does.[/i]

Don't remind her of that, okay? :^O

[i]Ooh, what is she going to do? I remember even less of this story than I did of Pendulum apparently! Gah, it's almost like being a have-not! Heaven forbid!!![/i]

As soon as you read the next post, you'll think "How could I have forgotten THAT?!" :^O :p :^O

[b]J_M_Bulldog[/b]: [i]*seriously considers locking them in that room til they tell each other how they feel, then remembers Mara has a lightsaber and a blaster - plus more weapons than most bounty hunters - and then reconsiders*[/i]

Yes, please have mercy on poor Luke. He's just an uncultured, naive farmboy, after all.

[b]maramijade[/b]: [i]Luke, Luke, Luke :: shakes head::
    What are we going to do with you?[/i]

Perhaps you should shake some sense into him, instead of shaking your own head. :D
    >

15. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Yes, please have mercy on poor Luke. He's just an uncultured, naive farmboy, after all. Eh, I was more worried about myself than Luke. She wouldn't hurt him. She loves him. Me, well, she'd kill me, :p

16. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Ah, I see. You were going to be their counselor. Yes, that could be a dangerous job where Mara is concerned.

*goes back to reading Survivor's Quest... Another place where it could be dangerous to get in Mara's way.* ;)

17. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Luke felt Mara tremble in his arms. "You're cold. I need to go get more firewood."

Hmm, that's right. Coward. :p Beautiful girl, Luke, one you're not related to. Wake up.

Somehow I don't think this is what we've all been waiting for. But that's alright, I'm sure it will turn out to be just as fun.

18. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Hehehhee, evil postie.

And I beat the person that recomended me this fic in replying, again.......... :p

19. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Late again . . . [face_blush]

*Why is everyone obsessed with getting us into bed together?* Mara groused silently, as she and Luke followed Merta up a narrow stairway.

*You're not expecting me to answer that, are you?* Luke returned, following behind her.

It does kind of seem that way. :D

Wooden furniture of any kind was unheard of on Tatooine, and Rebel accommodations rarely included more than a plasteel desk and chair and a durasteel-frame bunk. To Luke, the hand-crafted bureau and well-worn chairs were just as wondrous as the luxurious furnishings he'd encountered in his Imperial suite.

I love this little passage. Believe it or not, I'd never once thought about how Luke might view something like wooden furniture before I read this. I love stories that make me think differently. :D

Mara felt hot enough to start one by spontaneous combustion. How could he start to say some momentous statement of how he felt, finally, and then just stop! And why was this upsetting her so much, when his unexpected confession of being solely responsible for her being on this mission had invoked just the opposite reaction in her?

*grins* Excellent introspection. :D

20. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    And just what are you insinuating, missy?
    Wouldn't you like to know. [face_mischief]

21. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    *smacks Luke on head* how can u be so stupid? u should have finished ur sentence!!!

lol at mara starting the fire with spontanious combustion!!

i think i kno what mara has in mind to keep them warm...a nice long bath of course!! and myabe with hot cocoa afterwards!!!

22. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Kazzy: Somehow I don't think this is what we've all been waiting for. But that's alright, I'm sure it will turn out to be just as fun.

Depends on what you're waiting for. :cool: And depends on if Luke cooperates.

_3MD_PsychoSniper: Hehehhee, evil postie.

You think that was evil? Just wait till you read this next one. [face_devil]

Gabri_Jade: I love this little passage. Believe it or not, I'd never once thought about how Luke might view something like wooden furniture before I read this. I love stories that make me think differently.

Thanks! But now you've got me thinking that I should go back and try to add more passages like this to Book 3.

Jaina_and_Jag: And just what are you insinuating, missy?
    Wouldn't you like to know.

We'll see if you were right in a few minutes. ;)

JainaPadmeJade: i think i kno what mara has in mind to keep them warm...a nice long bath of course!! and myabe with hot cocoa afterwards!!!

Hot cocoa! [face_laugh] That does sound like something our Lukie would want afterwards. :p

23. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Apparently I started writing shorter chapters at about this point. So, Five will also only be divided into two parts.

And now, the question will be answered as to whether Mara can really find something to help Luke relax. [face_devil]

[b]Chapter 5-A[/b]

As Luke plodded down the steep staircase, he realized that he wasn't sure what he had been about to announce to Mara. [i]'I don't want us to ever be apart'? 'I'll get us out of here'?[/i] Or had he been ready to utter [i]'I want to make love to you,'[/i] or simply [i]'I love you'?[/i] He was a trained Jedi and a war hero, but he turned into a stammering fool when it came to matters of the heart. No wonder Mara's temper was so unpredictable. One moment he's flirting worse than Lando, and the next he can barely look her in the eye without his nerves being tied in knots. Luke could feel that pendulum swinging back out again, and he had the distinct feeling it was entirely his fault.

So engrossed was Luke in his self-deprecating musings that the normally nimble-footed Jedi nearly stumbled when a voice boomed at the bottom of the steps.

"So ye finally made it down here." Merta glanced at the worn log carrier clutched in his hand. "I see ye've come for the wood first. Come along, then, lad."

Merta directed Luke to a lean-to shelter attached to the back of the building. Firewood was stacked only about a meter high. "As ye can see, I'll be needin' to get more wood cut soon. We go through a lot this time o' year."

Luke paused as he was filling the leather carrier. "Would you like me to cut some wood for you tomorrow? I need to do some kind of tasks, to pay you back for your generosity."

"Aye, that would be appreciated ..., Luke, is it?"

He nodded affirmatively. "Yes, Luke Skywalker."

Luke continued filling the carrier with assorted pieces of firewood, then paused and looked questioningly at Merta. "Is this sufficient to last the night?" he asked, gesturing toward his load. "I want to make sure it stays warm enough for Mara."

Merta smiled at his unabashed concern for his roommate. "Aye, that should be plenty." As Luke straightened up, she added. "Ye should sleep on the side o' the bed near the wall, so she'll be closer to the fire."

Luke started to object to Merta's obvious assumption that he and Mara would both be sleeping in the room's lone bed, but she held up a hand to silence him.

"Hold her close, lad," the motherly figure said with a smile, "and ye'll both stay warm tonight."

Luke simply nodded, not feeling up to trying to explain his and Mara's unusual relationship. He wasn't sure he even could.

"Come back down after ye unload yer wood, and I'll have some supper ready fer ye."

"All right, thank you."

When Luke returned to the attic, Mara was bustling with activity. Luke watched as she exited the refresher, carrying a full bucket of water. With a small towel, she removed one of a pair of steaming pails that hung suspended over the fire and replaced it with the new bucket, then retreated with the hot water back to the refresher.

"What's all this?" Luke called to her, as he could hear a squeaking, pumping noise coming from her direction.

"Just heating water so we can wash up," she explained as she passed him, repeating her previous actions with a second bucket.

Luke started to ask if she needed help, just out of habit, but stopped himself. He had a feeling that if she wanted him to assist, he would have already heard the instructions.

"Guess I'll go get us some food now," he went on, stepping out of the way as she swept back toward the refresher.

"Fine," she returned over her shoulder.

Luke once more descended the narrow stairway, deep in thought. [i]At least she's still talking to me.[/i]

As Luke entered their room with a stack of clothes and their dinner, he could detect a sense of relaxation coming from Mara, but didn't see her in the bedroom. Setting the meal portion of his load down, he knocked lightly on the refresher door. "Mara?"

"Come in,>

24. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    *sighs* Luke, if Han were giving you advise, he say.."jump in the krethin' tub with her already!!"

And, of course, Leia would make Han sleep on the floor in that situation ..... *sighs*

25. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Those two are going to be the death of each other. Or get really dizzy circling.

*bounces giddily* I know what's going to happen :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.