main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Journey of Discovery-Bk.2: Pledge (L/M, H/L, OC's) Completed 4/2/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    Yay!! They're getting married!! That whole scene was sweet!!

and do you what would make an even better v-day for me?

how about han proposing to leia?!!?!?

keep up the good work!!

how i wish i had a luke or han tomorrow.

2. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    So I did actually reply to the last post but the boards wouldn't post my post so I got angry and went away. Sorry.

*giggles* Mara and Luke are getting married and Leia's gonna kill them...

Of course it's not an opportunity for them to have sex at the earliest possible moment. Just heklping out the nice people pf the village.

At the same time they don't have to go through a big public ceremony that befits Luke Skywalker - hero of the Rebellion.

Unless Leia makes them of course.

Great chapter. I liked it.

3. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Yes, they are going to get married at the Festival.

Though, something tells me that the goverment might not like this. At least when they find out about it.

Can't wait to see what happens.

4. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading and loving :D , I just keep getting behind and forget to post. [face_blush] Along with a certain amount lurking. ;)

Wonderful, wonderful story! :D I can't wait to see H/L's reaction, along with the government's. ;) But, the way I see it, L/M will have finally devoted themselves to each other anyway - fully. And I think if they stick together, they can handle it. ;)

Well, I hope so, anyway. :D

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: Besides, she couldn't imagine Luke wanting to get married without his sister and friends in attendance. - Mara is RIGHT Luke! nononononono! Do NOT get married on this PLANET!! Bad, BAD IDEA!!!

Sometimes love makes people do impulsive things. :)

kayladie97: Oh, man, I'm gonna be just like everybody else with Book 3! Where's the fun in that?!

It remains to be seen on how much fun it will be. :p

A true testament to the way Owen and Beru raised Luke...even though he's about to die from wanting her, he's still willing to wait. Something tells me he WON'T be telling Han about that part, though!

[Yoda_speak]So sure are you?[/Yoda_speak]

Thanks!

RebelMom: Yeah, they're getting married. Who'd a thunk it?

:p [face_laugh]

_3MD_PsychoSniper: And were getting a wedding, bloody marverlous........

Thanks. :D

Rivad_Bacar: He surprised her by rebuffing that excuse immediately. "They'd get over it."

ROFLOL!

Yep, still the impetuous farmboy.

Jaina_and_Jag: Me thinks that Leia and Han might get there in time for the wedding... or not, but hey, let me think this!

First Han & Leia would have to find where they're at. ;)

JainaPadmeJade: and do you what would make an even better v-day for me?

how about han proposing to leia?!!?!?

Didn't you notice Han and Leia both saying they have no intention of ever getting married? :p

Kazzy: So I did actually reply to the last post but the boards wouldn't post my post so I got angry and went away. Sorry.

Darn boards! [face_devil]

Of course it's not an opportunity for them to have sex at the earliest possible moment. Just heklping out the nice people pf the village.

Of course. :cool:

J_M_Bulldog: Though, something tells me that the goverment might not like this. At least when they find out about it.

I could give a better answer to this if I'd written that far in the story yet. :p

obaona: But, the way I see it, L/M will have finally devoted themselves to each other anyway - fully. And I think if they stick together, they can handle it.

If they stick together?! You've been betaing for Gabri too much lately. :p

Next post sometime tomorrow. Thanks, everyone!

6. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I've been keeping up! Yay!

*rereads this to chase away Single's Awareness Day blues*

*offers chocolate and roses!*

Belated Valentine's Day UP!

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Still here, Michele. ;) :)

Mara flung her arms around Luke's neck as soon as he entered the hall and kissed him enthusiastically.

"Are you this glad to see me?" Luke laughed as they pulled apart slightly. "Or just glad for an excuse to get out of the kitchen?"

"Definitely the latter." Mara smirked, still clutching him around the waist. "I decided hours ago to run and kiss the first man who came through the door."

"Well, lucky me." Luke kissed her lightly on the nose.

These two are way, way too cute. :D

"And you couldn't ... convince him ... to do this one little job first?" She waved one hand in front of his face to demonstrate her meaning.

Mara believes in efficiency. :p

"Even if we think this folklore is nonsense, they all believe in it."

"And we should respect their customs."

They paused, studying each other's emotions.

*grins* I just love how they're both perfectly aware of what the other is trying to say but neither will just come right out and say it. :p

8. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    You've been betaing for Gabri too much lately. :p

Yes, I have. *nods wisely and wonders if Gabri noticed that comment* [face_mischief]

9. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *nods wisely and wonders if Gabri noticed that comment*

*nods sagely* Aye, I did. It hardly matters - the works to which Michele is referring are all your fault anyway. You gave me the plot bunnies, and you're the one who always says to stretch as a writer. You've corrupted me, not the other way around. So there. :p [face_mischief]

10. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    EmilieDarklighter: *rereads this to chase away Single's Awareness Day blues*

You're much too young to worry about that!

*offers chocolate and roses!*

Better yet, chocolate roses. [face_laugh]

Gabri_Jade: These two are way, way too cute.

It helps that they're much younger here than their canon counterparts. ;)

Mara believes in efficiency.

But not too young to be efficient. [face_laugh]

*grins* I just love how they're both perfectly aware of what the other is trying to say but neither will just come right out and say it.

Thanks! Each one wanted the responsibility for making that decision to fall to the other.

obaona: Quit corrupting Gabri! :p

Another shorter chapter, so Seven will be just a two-parter again. :D

[b]Chapter 7-A[/b]

Although the small hamlet of Zembuhl had many visitors during its Winter Festival, Luke and Mara were already widely recognized as 'the strangers.' Their speech, their attire upon arrival, their hairstyles and mannerisms ? all served to set them apart immediately from the inhabitants of the obscure, isolated planet.

The news of the bonding of these two strangers spread like wildfire through the close-knit community. Within a few hours of Mara and Luke's informing Merta of their decision, everyone in Zembuhl was reveling over the unexpected salvation of the village's annual ritual.

Mara Jade drew her shawl close about her head, hoping to escape recognition as she plodded through the snow back to the boarding house. Detecting Luke's familiar presence, she circled around to the high wooden fence that enclosed the rear of Merta's property. Stepping through the back gate, she stifled an admiring grin as she crossed her arms and stood to watch.

His jacket discarded on the ground and his sleeves rolled up above his elbows, Luke wiped his brow before setting a chunk of cut timber onto a large tree stump. With a low grunt, he heaved an antiquated ax over his shoulder and brought it down to neatly split the log down the middle.

"So you can do manual labor," Mara teased, her eyes following the trails of sweat down his muscular forearms as he systematically repeated his motions on each half of the log. A large mound of similarly dispatched firewood was testament to his morning's labors.

"Of course I can." His indignant expression was suddenly replaced by a sly wink. "But watch this!" He reached down and pulled his lightsaber from the folds of his rumpled coat.

Casting a quick glance around the partitioned-off work yard, Luke tossed a half-meter-long log into the air. Quickly igniting his saber, he effortlessly split the piece of wood lengthwise into four nearly equal sections before it ever hit the ground.

"Skywalker, what do you think you're doing?" Mara growled, forcing a stern look onto her beautiful countenance as she swept out with the Force for any possible eavesdroppers.

"I want to keep in practice," Luke responded, throwing two logs at once to demonstrate his prowess and just barely making the final swipes in time. "Yoda had me do this with silver bars for hours on end."

"You're going to have a lot of explaining to do if anyone sees that lightsaber," his audience scolded. She did her best to hide how impressed she'd been with his display.

"Ahh, you're no fun," he returned with a chuckle, as he shut down the glowing green blade. "I made sure it was only you within sight."

"[i]Only[/i] me? Thanks a lot." Mara made her way over to a bench near the back door and plopped down wearily. "How did I get stuck going out into that mob to deliver pies and cakes, and you got to stay here and chop things?!" she grumbled irritably.

Luke frowned in surprise. "So the townspeople weren't happy about our marriage plans?"

"Oh, quite the contrary." Mara groaned, closing her eyes and leaning her head against the back of the clapboard structure. "If one more person even thinks about trying to hug me, I'll be whipping out [i]my[/i] saber."

Luke had ju

11. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Hmm. That's an interesting plot bunny... Mara is the one who killed Beru and Owen... *wanders off to think evil author thoughts*

12. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Michele, you beat me to it in your reply to Emmi. 16 is WAY too young to be worrying about that stuff! Now when you're 37 and single... :p

Loved Luke doing a bit of showing off for his bride-to-be! That was so sweet. [face_love]

Luke was silent a moment. "Well, yes, but she only seeks me out when I'm late for some meeting or appointment. I'm sure that's why she always frowns."

Mara shook her head. Men could be so dense sometimes.

Poor Luke...does he truly have no idea that Leia and Han don't trust Mara? He probably doesn't! [face_laugh]

"You didn't really believe those thugs in the Ranat Roost were the only ones who consider us 'involved,' did you?"

This time Luke made no attempt to reply, his eyes betraying his reflective pondering.

Sometimes, the level of Luke's naivete is amazing! But I think it's sweet...the galaxy would probably be a better place if more people looked at it like he does. :)

She knew, of course, of the stolen plans to the first Death Star, but didn't realize until recently that Luke's guardians were murdered in the attempted retrieval of those plans.

You've made them such a wonderful couple in this fic that sometimes I forget that they've actually only known each other a few months! They don't have all that shared history of the canon couple, but I think that's good. This time that history is going to be made with them TOGETHER!

Mara is the one who killed Beru and Owen... *wanders off to think evil author thoughts*

GreatOne, that wouldn't be your revenge story, would it? :p I imagine Luke would have a hard time forgiving Mara THAT! **shudders at the thought of what torture GO could put L/M through** :eek:

13. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Awsome post.

Especily Mara being suprised by Lukes physical abilties.

14. Jayden112233

Jayden112233 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2003
    "To get back to my point, I doubt Leia is going to welcome the news of our nuptials with open arms, and I'm afraid that is going to bother you more than you realize." She raised his bare left hand and gave it a gentle kiss. "Despite your rather hasty remark this morning that she'd 'get over it.'"

Gotta feel sorry for Mara here, although she doesn't do a lot to extend the hand of friendship either, as it were. However, I can't wait for Leia and Han to find out about the new Mrs. Skywalker and what her previous job title was.

Merta frowned at her statement, then turned to Luke. "I thought ye were a fisherman?"

[face_laugh] Probably not a career on a young moisture farmer's list of "What I want to be when I grow up". I love it. *scratches head in thought* Might be funny to see him actually try and catch a fish.

15. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    GreatOne, that wouldn't be your revenge story, would it? - Well, now.. that would ENTIRELY depend on how my Corellian is treated by a certain L/M author... [face_devil] :p

16. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Ye have interestin' ways of persuadin' in that village of yers.

Aye, but it's mighty fun! :D

17. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    Lol!

Mara is going to kill everybody at that gathering tonight!

18. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Aww, I liked this post. Hehe, Mara telling Luke he shouldn't use his saber but still impressed by the display. :p Uh huh. :p

Oh, boy, I can just see Mara meeting these new people. Hehe, Luke's going to have to stand right next to her so he can stop her from attacking someone. :p

Me thinks Leia and Han will not like this, at least not at first.

19. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    I doubt Leia is going to welcome the news of our nuptials with open arms

Don't worry too much Mara. Leia may not trust you, but when she finds out Luke married you she's gonna kill him, you'll be all right. ;)

Mara and Luke really do ooze cuteness don't they? maybe it'll be enough to convince Leia. Or maybe she'll just run away in disgust. :p (j/k)

20. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: That's an interesting plot bunny... Mara is the one who killed Beru and Owen... *wanders off to think evil author thoughts*

I started something with that sentence, didn't I? [face_laugh] It would really be stretching Luke's ability to forgive, but if he could forgive his father for killing Ben, torturing Han & Leia, cutting off his own hand... Well, I guess he could forgive Mara.

GreatOne, that wouldn't be your revenge story, would it? - Well, now.. that would ENTIRELY depend on how my Corellian is treated by a certain L/M author...

Are you referring to me or to kayladie? Or both of us? [face_devil]

kayladie97: Sometimes, the level of Luke's naivete is amazing! But I think it's sweet...the galaxy would probably be a better place if more people looked at it like he does.

Luke has this tendency to see only the good in people. He seems to have blinders on when it comes to anything else. You're right, the galaxy would be better if everyone one was like him.

You've made them such a wonderful couple in this fic that sometimes I forget that they've actually only known each other a few months! They don't have all that shared history of the canon couple, but I think that's good. This time that history is going to be made with them TOGETHER!

This is my aim entirely -- to have them get to know each other without the shackles of Mara having hated Luke for five years, or Luke wandering around lonely for five years. ;)

_3MD_PsychoSniper: Awsome post. Especily Mara being suprised by Lukes physical abilties.

They're continuously discovering new things about each other. :)

Jayden112233: Gotta feel sorry for Mara here, although she doesn't do a lot to extend the hand of friendship either, as it were. However, I can't wait for Leia and Han to find out about the new Mrs. Skywalker and what her previous job title was.

Things won't go smoothly, I'll promise you that. Mara's gonna need to improve her attitude considerably.

Probably not a career on a young moisture farmer's list of "What I want to be when I grow up". I love it. *scratches head in thought* Might be funny to see him actually try and catch a fish.

Is another plot bunny being born here? [face_laugh]

Rivad_Bacar: Ye have interestin' ways of persuadin' in that village of yers.

Aye, but it's mighty fun!

It sure is! :D

JainaPadmeJade: Mara is going to kill everybody at that gathering tonight!

Is that a prediction? [face_mischief]

J_M_Bulldog: Oh, boy, I can just see Mara meeting these new people. Hehe, Luke's going to have to stand right next to her so he can stop her from attacking someone.

You all know Mara so well. :D

Kazzy: Don't worry too much Mara. Leia may not trust you, but when she finds out Luke married you she's gonna kill him, you'll be all right.

You may be right. ;)

21. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Chapter 7-B

A short while later, the woodshed was overflowing with neatly stacked firewood, and Merta and her newest guests joined the stream of partygoers flowing toward the evening's festivities. Lively, foot-stomping music drifted through the cold night air as they drew close, and brightly-lit paper lanterns threw colorful reflections across the crowded town square.

Merta soon excused herself and hurried off to greet visiting friends she'd not seen since last year, leaving Luke and Mara to fend for themselves against the gushing tide of well-intentioned congratulations. Luke did his best to divert the more overbearing of the throng, but neither was immune to the affable back-slapping, hand-shaking, kiss-on-the-cheek gestures. Eventually they were able to move along and explore the diverse booths erected around the festival grounds.

"Hey, Skywalker, look! Games of skill!" Mara tugged him in the direction of several stalls where men were engaging in various competitive activities. "These all look like a cinch. We could win at any of these. Heck, I could beat you at any of these." She gave him a conceited smirk.

"Oh, you think so, do you?" he rallied back, easily rising to her baiting. "I could outscore you standing on my head."

"Humph. I could outdo you blindfolded," she shot back, grinning. She loved the verbal sparring with Luke as much as any actual matches.

"All right." Luke accepted the challenge. "You pick. Whichever contest you like, I'm ready."

They stopped at a nearby booth and watched as compacted snowballs were hurled toward bottles balancing precariously atop one another on small ledges.

"Let's try this one," Mara suggested eagerly, salivating at the prospect of showing up both the locals and her fiancé. "Be prepared to put your money where your mouth is."

"Hmmm. Money. That could be a problem." Luke glanced at the proprietor questioningly.

"Just one deka, friend," the jovial young man invited, his rakish cap sitting jauntily atop his dark curls. "Knock three down with one throw, and win yer pretty lass a treasure." He waved a hand toward a row of gaudy trinkets. "Knock all nine down with three throws, and ye get double yer dekas back."

Luke turned toward his companion. "Mara, we don't have?"

He was interrupted by the booming voice of Efam, the pub owner. "Jaco Modesa, ye can't be a-chargin' this lad! This be the pair that's gettin' hitched durin' the Festival."

"Ye don't say?!" Jaco held out three frozen spheres to Luke. "Have a go at it with me complements then, me friend."

Luke took the proffered projectiles with a word of thanks, and promptly knocked down all the targets in rapid succession. A cheer arose, and Jaco graciously handed him two dekas.

"But I didn't pay anything," Luke protested. "You don't have to give me any winnings."

"Nonsense!" the young man returned. "Ye earned yer prize, and I'd be shirkin' me duty not to pay."

Luke picked up one of the coins and held it out. "Then let me pay for a second round."

Within minutes, the Jedi now clutched three coins, and was contemplating his third attempt when Mara grabbed his arm.

"Hey, it's my turn. Move over and let me throw."

Muffled gasps sounded from the small crowd that had congregated, and Luke detected worried looks on their faces. Efam leaned over and whispered in his ear, eliciting a dangerous narrowing of Mara's emerald eyes as she watched Luke frown in consternation.

"What's wrong?" she growled, as he pulled her aside.

Luke swallowed nervously, then revealed in a hushed voice, "Women aren't allowed to compete in these games."

"What?! Why not?" she cried out in a huff, making no attempt to hide her resentment. Nothing rankled Mara Jade worse than being prohibited from engaging in an activity simply because of her gender.

"It's just their way, Mara," he said, trying to pacify her. "It's nothing against you. We should have noticed that only men are participating in all these contests."

Mara glanced around and confirmed his words; the few women that stood

22. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    Hmm. Luke needs to think about this engagement longer than two days! And Mara needs to chill!! She sure has a hot temper.. :eek:

23. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Ooh, that had to be tough on Mara, especially knowing that she could probably beat every man in the village, hands down! But, it's good for her, in a way. Lets her see what so many other peoples had to endure during Palpatine's reign. I imagine some of those attitudes were hard for her to let go of and anything that helps that can only be good for her...and Luke, if he's going to marry her! [face_laugh]

Poor Lukie, he never really stood a chance with all those guys teasing him. I don't think he even got to complete a full sentence once they got ahold of him, did he? :D And now he's drinking. Nothing good can come of that, I'm afraid! ;)

Can't wait for more! :) :)

24. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Yes, Luke, give her some time to cool down... but lay off the drinks. You'll need to be coherant to talk with her later! ;)

25. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    I knew someone was going to do something Mara didn't like. Ouch. Course I can understand both her and Luke's POV.

Ah, Luke, drinking might not be a good thing.

Where's Mara going? She's just stubborn enough to leave the town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.