main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Little Piece of Heartache (A/P Episode II vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ArnaKyle, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    A Little Piece of Heartache
    An Anakin / Padmé Episode II vignette.

Padmé's point of view during the Naboo lake scene, as she contemplates the rather unexpected turn of events.

Please tell me what you think, I normally don't write prequel, much less Anakin and Padmé as I'm not really a big fan, but well, I thought this was a really appropriate story for me to write at this time. Well...just read and let me know. Thanks. :)

"When I was in Level Three, we used to come here for school retreat. See that island? We used to swim there every day. I love the water."

It was true. Water was such a beautiful soothing muse to many a frustrated politician, and Naboo's was more beautiful than I could ever imagine. This is one of my favorite spots in the entire planet, a place that I've known all my life as beautiful, as almost magical. I daydreamed in my girlish fantasies about getting married here someday, about strolling on the lake shores, about running through the cool water and feeling the soft ground between my toes. I suppose it was all a bit of foolishness.

Its tiny wavelets reflected the sun like sparkling crystals, and in the immortality of the deep glassy water, I can feel at peace. There hasn't been much peace lately at all-- it's nice to feel serene, at ease, even around Anakin.

He's made me nervous lately, and being around him makes me feel as though something exciting is going on inside of me. Fireworks, cannons, I don't know. He's clouding my mind, but I know somehow it's not a Jedi mind trick. He doesn't need the Force for something like this-- this could not be taught by Obi-Wan, this could not be taught by Master Yoda. Anakin has learned one skill more than his masters-- how to make the strongest women weak.

Anakin smiles at me, flashing those perfectly pearly teeth of his. He doesn't mean to be vain about it, but it's quite obvious he's practiced that smile before. I think he's getting quite good at it. But I can't think like that, I have a duty to do. "I do too," he says softly, "I guess it comes from growing up on a desert planet."

I return his smile politely, nodding ever so slightly to myself. My one encounter with Tatooine was hardly pleasant, but somehow, I think of it fondly now. I think about the hot, rancid, heat of Tatooine's slums, Qui-Gon Jinn, the Jedi Master I am forever indebted to, and then I think about Ani, the little slave boy. And I look up, now, rather than down, at that little slave boy, and I find I must turn my eyes away.

His two eyes fixed on me are hotter than the twin suns of Tatooine, and suddenly I feel slightly uncomfortable, realizing that perhaps I should have chosen a different dress for the day. It's uncomfortable, almost, but at the same time, I enjoy the attention of a man. Anakin, I've just called you a man. You're no longer the silly little boy always fixing things. Now you're a man, with the power to break hearts.

I remind myself I do not intend for anything such to happen.

I wish he would have the decency to pull his gaze away, but it is unflinching. "We used to lie on the sand and let the sun dry us..." My attempts at averting the unspoken subject are failing me. "and try to guess the names of the birds singing." Birds, at a time like this! Perhaps there are birds singing in my stomach, but my mind is hardly on the birds.

"I don't like sand," I barely hear Anakin say consciously. He hasn't stopped looking at me. "It's coarse and rough, and irritating," he explains to me as if either one of us cared, "and it gets everywhere. Not like here." Suddenly his voice is soft and low, and I feel a strange chill on my naked back. "Here," he murmurs, "everything's soft?and smooth"

I feel the rough skin of his knuckles glide across the skin of my back, and I try desperately not to show emotion. I don't know what I'm thinking-- part of me is excited, I feel alive, more alive than ever before. But I feel scared too, can I do this? We exchange a few more meaningless pleasantries, a few more silly attempts

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

How lovely and poignant, ArnaKyle!! Beautifully written. I loved how you captured Padme's voice. A wonderful vignette...a joy to read.

3. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Thank you, Lady Padme!

I wonder if I am being punished for my lurking sins, or if people just don't want to read any of my vignettes. ;)

4. ForbiddenAngel

ForbiddenAngel Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Very beautiful! You explained what Padme's POV very well! Good job and keep up the great work!

5. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Very touching and sad. A good description of that anxious tension of new love!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.