main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** A MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR THE CREW OF COLUMBIA**

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    what a sad time for our space program !

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - NASA declared an emergency after losing communication with space shuttle Columbia as the ship soared over Texas several minutes before its expected landing time Saturday morning.

The shuttle was carrying the first Israeli astronaut and six Americans, and authorities had feared it would be a terrorist target.

Fifteen minutes after the expected landing time, and with no word from the shuttle, NASA announced that search and rescue teams were being mobilized in Dallas and Fort Worth areas.

Inside Mission Control, flight controller hovered in front of their computers, staring at the screens. The wives, husbands and children of the astronauts who had been waiting at the landing strip were gathered together by NASA and taken to separate place.

Columbia was at an altitude of 200,700 feet over north-central Texas at a 9 a.m., traveling at 12,500 mph when mission control lost contact and tracking data.

NASA, while not saying the shuttle had exploded, broken up or crashed, warned that any debris found in the area should be avoided and could be hazardous.

There were reports of debris seen falling.

In 42 years of human space flight, NASA has never lost a space crew during landing or the ride back to orbit. In 1986, space shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after liftoff.

Security had been tight for the 16-day scientific research mission that included the first Israeli astronaut.

Ilan Ramon, a colonel in Israel's air force and former fighter pilot, became the first man from his country to fly in space, and his presence resulted in an increase in security, not only for Columbia's Jan. 16 launch, but also for its landing. Space agency officials feared his presence might make the shuttle more of a terrorist target.

On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle.

Leroy Cain, the lead flight director in Mission Control, had assured reporters Friday that engineers had concluded that any damage to the wing was considered minor and posed no safety hazard.

i copy and pasted this from somewhere .

my grand father worked on this shuttle .

2. alison_breeze

alison_breeze Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002

This is a terrible tragedy... indeed, a very sad time.

A friend of mine has written a poem expressing some thoughts and feelings about what has happened. If anyone is interested in reading it, it's atCadhla's Journal.

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Very intense. My father was one of the people who wrote much of the programming that is still being used on the shuttle in NASA control. So, I've been closely connected to this project since I was a little girl, when I saw the first prototype renderings hanging in my Dad's office.

I also have two friends who work at NASA - Hunstville, who I have already spoken with this morning.

The best thing we can do at this point is to send our thoughts and prayers to the families of the astronauts and for all of those associated with the NASA organization.

4. spikealus

spikealus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2002
    what! okay just turned on the tv after reading this on my home page and I am shocked and still remember when the Challenger disaster occured on live TV.

my thoughts are w/ the families of the crew

5. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    *silence*

6. Miccu_Resea

Miccu_Resea Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    These men and women were some of the bravest people known. they knew the risk, and still they went up, in the name of discovery, and also to give aid to the space station. They will not be forgotten, so close to the Challenger tragety.

My heart, prayers, and condolences go out to the brave people and their families. Rest in peace, adventurers.

If you want to express your feelings to those people, one of the TheForce.net members in the Your Jedi Council Community is going to NASA and is compiling a list of sentiments to bring there. If you wish to do so, here is the link: here

7. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
  8. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    God speed, ya'll.............................

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
  10. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    I guess I should watch tv more often. I didnt know about this until last night. Its shocking to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.