main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A New(er) World of Gods and Monsters: The Universal Monsters (The Invisible Man)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Jul 31, 2014.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    While admittedly not being very familiar with the golden age of horror, my gut reaction is that yes, these movies, assuming that this all pans out should definitely be set in the 30s. They should also be shot in black and white.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    the drawback is that frankenstein and dracula are public domain monsters. No one is out making bootleg Iron Man movies, but my mom has made her own full length feature Dracula film.

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    They said that the Mummy film would be set in the present day, and not the 1920s-30s, so get that idea out of your head right now.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yes, I read the link. My point is that while I could be wrong, I just don't see this working in a modern setting. The Brendan Fraser Mummy films, although imperfect, worked precisely because of their 30s pulp setting. Same with Indiana Jones. There was an attempt in the 70s to make an updated, modernized King Kong film and it just didn't work for precisely this reason. Kong vs the helicopters just wasn't as interesting as Kong vs the bi-planes. Why do you think that Peter Jackson set his remake in 1933?

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh god that title is real.

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I think I can hear Sigmund Freud's corpse hitting 3,000 rpm with that title.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Hellooooooooooo train-wreck.

9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Hi guys.
    [​IMG]

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's literally animated his remains; reports of a sentient pile of ashes roaming the streets of London have been reported. Allegedly they're moaning "Brains... brains... cocaine..."

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Now we need a mash-up of Mummy: The First Monster vs. Captain America: The First Avenger to lighten the load...

DarthIntegral likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Don't make it look like Van Helsing cgi crap.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it makes sense to at least try a contemporary setting for these monsters to try and make them relevant again. Yes, they evoke the 30's and such (and I'd also love to see a solid attempt at a Sommers-less period series)- but at one time they were contemporary(ish) and that was generally at the height of their popularity.

But right now, even though there have been hardcore horror interpretations over the years, they're still, collectively, the most family friendly group of movie monsters because they are "of the past". A contemporary setting (combined, obviously, with a quality film) can go a long ways towards countering that perception.

The thing is that the Frasier films, when they worked, didn't work because of their 30's setting, but rather when they were successfully imitating Indiana Jones- which just happened to be set in that era. The setting was more of a byproduct of their stylistic mold (as well as surface homage to the original film). They weren't interested in making a horror film (despite claims to the contrary) and the setting certainly wasn't a link to that.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I must tread carefully in this thread. This is the series where I will begin to sound like every pedant Star Wars "purist" discussing the special editions & Jar Jar Binks.

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I used to have this glow in the dark creature action figure.
    [​IMG]
    He was used as a Cantina alien in my fake SW world.

Also had that plaster of Paris thing where you make the monster heads and paint them. Can't find any photos online of that kit.

Gamiel and Juke Skywalker like this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I had all of those Remco figures. I did the same thing as you, since they were the same size and articulation as the Kenner SW figures. That Creature figure was easily my favorite. I got endlessly reamed for being elbow deep in the aquarium with that toy.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Hahahaha! Same here. I believe I put him and Greedo in the tank multiple times.

18. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    How would a modern shared universe be received by audiences though? Any undertaking like this would have to return to their roots, instead of being the fiasco that was Van Helsig...

I suppose the Mummy would be the easiest to interest modern audiences, so it makes sense to start with it. There was a decent movie from the late 70's/early 80's titled the Sphinx that TCM occasionally airs that is a decent modern telling of the Mummy's curse. It highlights the mystery of the lore as well as the exotic locations portrayed in the film.

Frankenstein would be more difficult as the original focus is no longer relevant. Frankenstein's agony over his creation relates to his feelings of technology being an affront to God, and the concern of his creation(s) having unnnatural offspring which would replace humanity. George Romero and the rise of the zombie genre did more to diminish Frankenstein and his monster than any remake or retelling.

Dracula would be the most difficult, as the original focus is all but lost. Sources like Twilight, which have ruined put a different spin on the entire vampire mythology in general, make it all but impossible to treat the genre with any kind of seriousness.

What else is included in the original "Universal Monsters?" I suppose Creature From The Black Lagoon is. Wolfman...Any others?

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Where's our solo Bride of Frankensten movie? WTF, Universal?

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. this is the part that I really don't see working in a modern setting, while yes, you could theortically say that Frakenstein's monster is the result of some sort of banned genetics experiment gone wrong, in the original source material, its stated pretty blatantly that the creature is a shambling abomination composed of body parts that were acquired as a result of grave robbing and animated because Victor Frankenstein made a symbolic faustian bargin and used his new knowledge to play God. There's a lot of interesting thematic material to play with, but the image of the creature as a rotting animated corpse with bolts in its neck is pretty ingrained in our collective consciousness, to the point where we call the creature Frankenstein.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Dracula Untold actually looks pretty good though. It kind of has a Ridley Scott vibe. Like Kingdom of Heaven, but with vampires.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I kinda dig that they're taking a page out of the Marvel/Disney playbook here. Probably a good idea that they built in a fail safe on Dracula Untold, though, as the early reviews have not been especially kind (%32 on RT with 22 reviews in). Not that it means it won't still be a hit, but if it's not well received by audiences, Universal may want to distance the new UMCU from it so that it isn't a buzz kill on their new venture.

My expectations are pretty low. It can't be any worse than I, Frankenstein or Van Helsing.

24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The question is: Is Dracula Untold a movie you can sink your teeth into?

25. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004