main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Newcomer's Guide to Fan Fiction

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Hey Pash Hey Daresa. Thanks alot. I believe we can foster a better understanding with newbies and fanfiction writers here.

2. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    *waves hello to the fanfic newbies* :)

Just wanted to pop my head in and say what a nice job you've done in here, Derisa! :D I would like to encourage potential fanficcers to post what they're interested in here in this thread so we could direct them to the best place for them. So step up to the plate! We don't bite. ;)

Jae Angel

3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Yes you do NJ. I have the scars to prove it.

Needless to say the others in Fanfic are easy going and wonderful. Including Narundi here.

4. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm very easy-going. I put up with you in my thread, didn't I? ;)

Wow, it seems like we're the only ones who really post in here . . . I wish there was a way to make titles flash neon so they could stand out . . . probably give people epilepsy, though. :p

Jae Angel

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Derisa, you're doing a wonderful job of explaination. Keep up the good work.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    This is one of the nicest threads I've seen! :)

For all new comers to Fan fic, don't be afraid of the WRF, it can get a little hairy in there but that's only because writers are passionate people! :p

But If you paruse the 3 different era boards (the stories themselves) you'll find something that suits your taste! Be sure to let an author know you've stopped by, even if they have mulitple replies, even a simple "Hi! I just peeked in" is nice to see! :)

7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Nice to see you here, ladies. :D

dianethx and Breezy, it's good to have some of the JC's great writers here to promote fan fic at the Welcome Forum. :)

8. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    It sure is great to have you guys in from time to time! Thanks, guys!

FanFiction, where only the bunnies bite!

Fan Fiction is one of the most popular forums on the Jedi Council, with the third largest number of threads per forum on the boards. So it can be a bit tricky to navigate your way to a good story.

I've recommended the Fan Fiction Newsletter in the past, for quick reviews along with snippets of each reviewed story, so you are sure to find something worth reading there. There'll likely be a new issue out within the week, so I'll be linking that as soon as it's out!

But what about you new users who have stories that you are dying to post? Does anyone have any questions we can answer or help we can offer? Do you need to know where best to post your story? Or do you need a beta-reader for it? Or do you want to find other authors who like what you do about a particular genre or pairing?

All you have to do is screw up your courage and ask right here, and I'll do everything I can to point you in the right direction! C'mon, now, don't be shy! Ask away! :)

*Derisa*

9. Talonah

Talonah Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    Asking away...

I want to write a fanfic, but I can't seem to get around to writing anything. I mean, I'll have my computer on and Word open in front of me, and then suddenly my mind won't work.

I know the basic plot of my story, and I know what my characters' looks and personalities are. That should be enough to get started, right?

Wrong. I can't write anything. Help!

10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    We'd be happy to, Talonah! The phenomenon you are experiencing is called "writer's block": that sudden blankness we can feel when we sit down at our desk and suddenly can't figure out how to even start. You are not alone! Many many writers (and other artists can feel creatively blocked. The good news is, it's normal; the even better news: it's treatable.

What most people don't realise is that everyone can be a writer: if you can read and speak coherently, you have the potential to write creatively. You may have to take that leap of faith: that your words and ideas are "good enough" to be committed to the page, that you can convey meaning and emotion in words.

Make no mistake, writing can be hard work: it seems easy, but it can take hours just to get down the draft of an idea. The fact of it is, there is a measure of trust in what a writer does, trust in his ideas to be interesting to an audience, but moreover, trust in himself that he has the skills to convey those ideas.

There are a number of advised ways to break a block.

What I have always found works for me is to stop thinking about the sequence of the events or conversations I'm imagining, and just get the words out. I don't even worry if they are the "right" words, just as long as they convey the sense of what I am seeing in my mind's eye. There's always time to revise and tighten or hone the writing, to find and place the "right" words, once I've started actually writing. Quality doesn't matter, neither does sequence within the story, so I feel free to [i]just start typing[/i].

Sometimes it is the welter of questions that face an author that prevents him from letting the words flow. [i]Who am I writing about? What are they doing? Where are they? Why are they there?...[/i]: they can feel like they are pressing in on the writer. The scope of the project looms as this incalculable immensity, and the author just gives up before ever even really starting.

When this is the case, I have to face the questions head on, but I try to make it on [i]my[/i] terms. Sometimes, just typing in those questions and answering them like an assignment in Novel Study helps me focus on what I am writing, and breaks through the desolate landscape of a blank Word document, (as well as remove the paralysing effect the sheer number of questions can have on my work).

[blockquote]1. Who is the main character?
    2.Where is the main character?
    3. What is the main character doing?
    4. Is there anyone with the main character? Who?
    5. who or what causes the conflict in the story?
    et cetera[/blockquote]

Once I've asked as many questions as I can think of, I answer each question in as much depth as I feel like: it isn't a graded assignment, it's just supposed to help me get moving.

[i]1. Jonno Dekker is a Jedi and a pilot, fresh from Luke Skywalker's academy on Yavin 4. He's a young man, a friend of Jaina and Jacen's, blond haired and green-eyed. His parents were pilots during and after the Rebellion...
    2, 3. He is on Belkadan, a strangely lush world that lies on the outskirts of the Galaxy. It was one of the first Vong conquests... He is examining the changes in the environment wrought by the Vong invasion. He was sent somewhere else, but the Force drew him here...
    4. His companion is his aunt Cassie, an agent with the New Republic's Intelligence branch. She's in her early forties, a capable officer, but closed off and too controlled. Jonno found her here, but doesn't know how she came to be here on Belkadan... (her husband died in combat a short while ago, and she's in the denial phase of grief...
    5. Two things: there is tension between them because she's been distant from the family, and doesn't know how to deal with her Jedi nephew, and they are about to discover an occupied Vong base on the planet...[/i]

You can see how a story can develop, once certain questions are answered in plain English, and it's not even [i]all[/i] of the ones I typed in. I often find that once you get started writing about a character or situation I d

11. Talonah

Talonah Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    Wow, long post. But, hey, thanks!

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    You're welcome!

Hey everyone, the newest Challenge has been posted: this time it's for writing the same scene from two different perspectives! There's sure to be some great entries on this one!

*Derisa*

13. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Up in preparation for a new update: more challenges, contest and challenge winners, and a new Newsletter!

*Derisa*

14. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    Great thread!

Keep it going. :)

15. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    What a wonderful thread! I have lots of ideas for FanFic swirling around my head. I've been looking through that forum, looking at the writing guides and "how-to" posts. It seems rather daunting, but I think I'm up to the challenge. I'm interested in writing OC ancient-Jedi-type stories. Looking forward to adding to the community.

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, Panaka'sDawg if there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm always happy to help out! :)

*Derisa*

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This needs to be upped!!! :D Great thread, Derisa.

18. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Agreed, dianethx :) . Especially with so many FanFic users stopping by the WNU ;) .

19. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Slan, all, new Padawan and old Master alike!

There's a new FanFiction newsletter: have a read and enjoy: hope it helps you find some good stories!

Challenges

Sometimes, a writer will post a challenge to their fellows in a thread on the Writer's Resource Forum: these happen most often in character fan club or discussion threads. Anyone can try their hand at answering the challenges: they aren't for prizes or anything.

Challenges are a fun way for writers to try out some new ideas or to experiment with a style or characters they aren't used to working with. Some writers even use them to kickstart their creativity.

They can also be a great way for an aspiring author to get their feet wet in fan fiction. Read the thread over carefully to make sure you are posting your entry in the right location (some threads start up specific threads in their particular era forums, others allow responses to be posted right in the thread.

There are some new challenges afoot even now: in the Obi-wan fanclub, the February Challenge is Obi-Wan Kenobi Expanded!

Write a vignette that has Obi-Wan interacting with the post Saga characters.

In the Luke Skywalker character discussion thread, this challenge has been issued:

Write Luke in a normal, everyday scene and write him...normally. No Force powers or galactic crisis.

and the songfic challenge thread, there's a neat and different challenge posted!

The sock will post a song and all those who wish can write a songfic using the song. No awards are given, all who wish may participate. There is no deadline to post on any of the songs, do so as you wish when you wish. This is simply a challenge to see how creative we can all be using the same song. Will we all post a story about the same thing or will we see a different scenario or character and post dramatically different songfics? We will have to wait and see.

*The hosts will post a new song as a challenge every 2 weeks using the official SongFic Challenge Sock: ToneDeafVader.

I'm sure there's more out there. Feel free to browse these and the other threads in the Writer's Resource Forum, looking for a challenge to suit your tastes as a reader or even a writer!

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, or to PM me: I'll answer as soon as I can!

Take care, and may the Force be with you!

*Derisa*

20. canislupus1818

canislupus1818 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    Interesting thread! Being a newbie and all, it's a challange to navigate through the fanfics. Your thread made that problem easier.

Thanks Derisa!

21. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    My pleaseure, canis, or can I call you Wolfie? :)

This is an ongoing thread, with intermittent additions as new things happen in the wild and weird world of fan fiction. For your information and hopefully use, I also run the Fan Fiction Recommendation Service, wherein you tell me what kinda thing you want to read, and I see if I can find you some good stories in that vein. If there's a story you've been dying to read, let me know, and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Glad to be of service again!

*Derisa*

22. Alphiriel

Alphiriel Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2005
    Wow. This thread is really great, especially the post about how to break writer's block. Ugh... writer's block is my archnemesis. I just get a case of it and it doesn't go away for a LONG time. Anyway, I'll shut up now. :) Again, lovely thread! You might want to ask for a mod to up it to the "Informational Threads" section, so that more people can see it!

23. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Awesome thread Derisa. I wanted to up this to make sure that others can see this and point out that I created a Fan Fiction Orientation Guide that has a ton of information about Fan Fiction and is aimed at Newbies. Welcome to the forums! :)

24. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Great suggestion Alphiriel. I'll talk to the mods ASAP. :)

Jaya's thread will be a great addition to the boards, if y'all use it as intended! Go there, say hi, and be welcomed in a uniquely fan fic way! :)

*Derisa*

25. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Upping this, since it was on the last page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.