main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Place to Call My Own - prequel to Far From Home, Qui-Gon's parents, updated 6/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: A Place to Call My Own
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: OCs
    Genre: Romance, drama, humor, a little bit of everything thrown in! :p
    Summary: The courtship of Qui-Gon?s parents, featuring OCs from the story Far From Home

A Place to Call My Own

Lenora Meretti was dreading the night ahead.

Her mother had made it clear that her presence would be required at a dinner party tonight, and not the way she wanted to spend her evening. It would be the same boring people, having the same mind-numbingly dull conversations about things that really meant nothing at all. The women would discuss their new jewels and the gowns they had ordered, while the men would talk about politics and the state of the economy. There was not an original thinker among them. Sometimes she just wanted to scream out her frustration, but she was sure that they would merely stare at her curiously and resume their inane conversations.

She sighed as she peered out of her room. The way was clear and she smiled, slipping out of her chamber and walking quickly but quietly down the corridor. Lenora went down the back stairs, the ones the servants used, knowing she would never encounter her mother there. Lady Meretti would never associate with the servants, and using their stairwell might bring her into unwanted contact with them. For the moment, Lenora was safe from discovery.

Lenora greeted the cook and her staff as she passed through the kitchen, unaware of their fond smiles as she passed. She had passed many happy hours in the big, warm kitchen, chattering away with the servants while her mother thought she was hunched over an embroidery frame or reading some dull treatise on the proper behavior for young ladies.

Giving a sigh of relief as she made it safely outdoors, Lenora ran swiftly toward her garden. Within the formal gardens, there was a smaller, more humble one, set off from the rest by a high stone wall. She had discovered it years ago, and it was there she retreated when she needed to cry or laugh, or do any of the many things that her mother said girls of her station were not supposed to do. Apparently, there was not much that was on the ?permissible? list.

The gate creaked when she opened it and Lenora could feel her anger draining away as the little garden embraced her like an old friend. She sat down on the bench that had witnessed so many of her childhood troubles and joys, and closed her eyes. She felt the sun shining down on her in, bathing her in its gentle warmth, and she savored the cool breeze that blew her hair around her face. It was a beautiful day, and she had stolen some time to enjoy it.

Wishing fervently that she could stay here all night, she tried to forget that she would spend another evening bound in by her station and all that entailed. How she wished she could trade lives with Sarta!

Sarta was her best friend, a fact that horrified her mother. Lady Meretti chose to ignore it, hoping that Lenora would soon find a friend of a more suitable station. The girls, however, had been best friends since they were just five years old.

They had met in this very garden, and Sarta had been sitting on this bench, terrified by a honeydarter that had settled on her knee. The young girl had quickly glanced up with frightened eyes, torn between fear at being caught in the garden and provoking the honeydarter into stinging her.

Lenora had walked forward with a friendly smile, sensing the girl?s fear. ?Are you afraid of honeydarters?? she asked quietly.

The girl nodded carefully, her eyes locked on the insect resting on her leg.

?Me, too,? Lenora confided as she came closer. She could see that the other girl was trembling. ?Want me to get it off you?? she asked, half hoping that the girl would say no.

After a moment?s pause, the little girl nodded and Lenora took a deep breath, gathering her courage. ?Okay, I will,? she whispered, stalling.

?Hurry, please,? the girl had said quietly, tears

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That's sweet. Loved the backstory with her best friend. Since Lenora sings to the plants, does she have a touch of Force-sense?

Loved the way you introduced Amri. @};-

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwww [face_love]Qui-Gon's mother singing to plants, I can totally see that! This is so good, Kim =D= Really hoping for more soon!

4. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm feeling girly, so this appealed. :p

5. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Loved it already, Vadey! And so this is how it all began. I can just see Lady Meretti wrinkling her nose at Lenora's friends. :D You go girl!

Always knew, on one side or the other, Qui-Gon, high born, he was. ;)

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    How delightful to see this beginning.

?By the goddess,? she breathed. ?You?re huge!?

LOL, couldn't help but lol @ this.

Might I ask for PM updates dear lady?? [face_praying]

7. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Wow. What a start. I love the setting you craft here.

8. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    dianethx Not sure about Force sensitivity, but she does like growing things. :D

Layren I think I'm going to have fun writing it! :p

VadersMistress Are you sure you're not sick? :confused:

Princess_Arulmozhi He sort of has that bearing, doesn't he? ;)

Healer_Leona Qui-Gon has to get that height from SOMEWHERE! [face_batting]

oqidaun Thanks! Glad to have you along for the ride! [face_mischief]

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice beginning.

Poor Lenora! Despite living an upper class life, she's not able to live the way she'd like.

It'll be interesting to see how Amri-Lon helps her to change that.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Loved it. [face_love] [face_love]

?Wait!? she called out as she ran toward him. He stopped abruptly and she ran into him. She grunted in reaction, it felt like she had run into a duracrete wall. He reached out to steady her, the smile back on his face. She looked up at him in a daze. ?By the goddess,? she breathed. ?You?re huge!? And indeed, he towered over her like no man ever had. The top of her head barely reached his shoulder.

?You?re just little,? he countered. He did not release her, but kept his big warm hand on her elbow.

Their meeting was just so...perfect, romantic. [face_love] Now I've got this silly little grin on my face because of this lovely story.

And loved the backstory with Sarta, too.

Don't keep us waiting too long for more! :D

11. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    I've always wondered why Qui-Gon was so tall! [face_love] [face_love]
    I agree with Gina: their meeting was so perfect and romantic!! I can't resist romance stories!! Please keep me posted on how you're doing, please VaderLVR64!!! If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to PM me and ask for help!! I'd be glad to help, especially with me experiencing a bad case of writer's block very often!! lol

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    KELIA I love these characters, so writing them is a joy.

Gina I won't. In fact, here's a post! :D

Lady_Padme_Organa Thank you for reading, and I hope to update about once a week.

[b]Chapter 2[/b]

He had eyes that lent themselves to laughter.

Lenora smiled at her own reflection in the mirror at this fanciful thought. As she adjusted a curl in her elaborate hairstyle, she pondered how infrequently real laughter was heard in her home. Home? To be honest, it did not seem like a [i]home[/i] at all, which was strange, because she had never lived anywhere else. It seemed to her, however, that a home should be a place she could be herself.

She could not help but feel that somewhere out [i]there[/i] was a real home, a place she could call her own ? just waiting for her to find it. The big, awkward man she had met in the garden just seemed to confirm all the secret dreams she had been harboring for so long. Maybe one day, she [i]would[/i] find her way free of the life that smothered her.

Lenora laughed at the thought of running down the hall, screaming for sheer joy at the unexpected turn her life had taken. She fantasized about telling her mother that she did not want to waste another moment at yet another dinner party attended by people she neither liked nor cared about.

Her mother would not find it amusing at all, and her father would merely stare at her in bewilderment. He would be utterly perplexed at her odd behavior and exhort her to behave more in accordance with her mother?s wishes. Her father was as cool in his affections as her mother, but less likely to argue. Lenora often wondered if her father always agreed with Lady Meretti because quarrelling with her was too difficult and frustrating. Lady Meretti ruled her home and her family with a durasteel fist.

Fleetingly, she imagined what Amri-Lon Jinn?s family was like. While he was growing up, his home would have been filled with laughter, she was sure of it. He had eyes that said he liked to laugh and did so every chance he got. [i]Maybe he could teach me to laugh,[/i] she mused, [i]real laughter, not the polite tittering that passes for laughter in society.[/i]

There was something about the tall young man she had met today, something that appealed to her in a very basic sense. She wanted to know him better, and somehow she sensed that he could change her life ? could help her find the courage to change into the person she had always wanted to be.

?No use thinking about [i]him[/i] Lenora Meretti,? she scolded her image. ?You?ll never see him again and you know it!?

But something in her eyes disagreed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dinner party that evening was not as bad as Lenora had anticipated ? it was far worse. It soon became clear that her mother had finally decided it was time to settle down to the business of finding a suitable husband for her only child, and she had done so with a vengeance. All the proprieties must be observed, of course, and her mother must have called upon every acquaintance she had to round up as many potential candidates as she could. There were six young men of the right station and from the right families were in attendance, but Lenora found that none of them could hold her attention for long.

She had to admit that it was her own fault, for the guests were not any more boring or obnoxious than usual. Tonight, however, she could not help but compare every young man that was trotted out for her inspection to the young man with the impudent smile who had wormed his way into her thoughts.

[i]Amri?s chest was much wider,[/i] she found herself thinking.

[i]I don?t think his hands would be as soft and useless as this man?s hands,[/i] she mused when letting yet another hopeful suitor kiss her hand.

[i]His lips looked soft, though,[/i] she thought to herself. There had been nothing else soft about him, however, other than those full lips. No, he had been very masculine, capable and proud ? but not vain. There was a difference, Lenora knew,

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Awww, I love the happiness that Lenora exudes when thinking of Amri-Lon and how she compared her mother's choice of suitors to him.

I was more than thrilled when she left the dinner party to find Amri out in the garden and their conversation was more than delightful. That playful, teasing banter between them was just exquiste.

I so want to be her right now. [face_love] [face_love]

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    She's playing with fire. I think her parents would have a fit and might make it difficult for Amri. She should be more careful - meet him outside of her home.

Loved that she kept comparing him to her unsuitable suitors.

Good job.

15. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    That was so cute!! Wish I could be as lucky as Lenora!!! Amri seems handsome and like a good guy!![face_love] [face_love]

16. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    I actually read this last night, but due to "circumstances" (LOL!), I didn't get to leave a reply. But here it is now. :D

She had to admit that it was her own fault, for the guests were not any more boring or obnoxious than usual. Tonight, however, she could not help but compare every young man that was trotted out for her inspection to the young man with the impudent smile who had wormed his way into her thoughts.

Amri?s chest was much wider, she found herself thinking.

I don?t think his hands would be as soft and useless as this man?s hands, she mused when letting yet another hopeful suitor kiss her hand.

Oh, yeah, she's falling hard! ;)

?Are you real?? she asked softly, half-afraid that speaking would break the spell and he would disappear ? forever.

Awwww!!! [face_love] [face_love]

Amri-Lon reached out slowly, giving her plenty of time to back away, and brushed his knuckles across her cheek. ?You?re right,? he whispered. ?You?re too beautiful to be real.? He seemed embarrassed by the words, but he did not take them back. He shifted nervously on his feet.

Lenora resisted the urge to nuzzle into that big palm, wondering at her uncharacteristic lack of restraint. ?I shouldn?t be out here?alone?with you,? she confessed in a husky whisper.

?No?you shouldn?t,? he agreed. ?I?m not the sort of man your parents would approve of,? he added with a regretful shake of his big, shaggy head.

Oh, there are so many sparks flying between these two they could set off a fire. LOL!!

?I?ll kiss you one day,? Amri said with a firm nod of his head. Then he grinned and she felt a surge of something go through her, something she had never felt before. ?But I?ll be kissing you in my own good time?and not a moment before.?

?Tease!? she called out, sticking her tongue out at him.

Amri chuckled and the sound of it made her shiver pleasantly. ?I never tease,? he said. ?I make promises.?

Oh, my! [face_love] [face_love]

Can't say enough times how much I love this story! :D

17. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    "I?ll kiss you one day,? Amri said with a firm nod of his head. Then he grinned and she felt a surge of something go through her, something she had never felt before. ?But I?ll be kissing you in my own good time?and not a moment before.?

?Tease!? she called out, sticking her tongue out at him.

Ah Amri...[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Somehow I don't think Lenora's mother is going to be all that thrilled when she finds out about her daughter's infatuation.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Healer_Leona I'd prefer Amri myself! ;)

dianethx Loves makes us not only play with fire, but jump right into it! :D

Lady_Padme_Organa He's a VERY good guy!

Gina Yep, she's fallen hard and fast. :p

KELIA Nope, not at all! [face_mischief]

[b]Chapter 3[/b]

Sarta giggled when she opened Lenora?s door, alerting Lenora to the fact that mischief was afoot. It frequently was when the two young women were together, a fact that they had been mostly successful in keeping from Lenora?s parents. Sarta?s mother, however, was well aware of their penchant for trouble, but had given up long ago trying to tame them. She had settled for what she called ?damage control? and tried to shield Lenora from her parents? censure. Sarta had willingly shouldered the blame for more than one stunt, knowing that her own punishment would be nothing compared to what Lenora?s parents would mete out. Lenora had argued against that tactic and had insisted on taking the blame until it seemed that her parents might send her away to some hideous ?finishing school? in the Core.

They were still partners in crime, they merely settled for being as unobtrusive as possible, at least where Lord and Lady Meretti were concerned. The expression on Sarta?s face, however, promised something spectacular and Lenora felt her interest rise. With a grin, Sarta held out a small square of flimsy and winked at her friend.

?Who?s it from?? Lenora asked impatiently.

?Open it and find out, silly,? Sarta advised. ?I?m just the messenger.? Her expression, however, betrayed the fact that she knew more than she was letting on. Lenora shook her head indulgently as she unfolded the flimsy.

[i]The usual place, tomorrow morning, 0700. ? A.[/i]

Laughing, Lenora folded it back up. ?Well?he does have a way with romantic words, doesn?t he??

Sarta sighed, clasping her hands in front of her. ?When a man looks like that, he doesn?t need sweet words to charm a woman into his arms.?

?Been getting an eyeful, have you?? Lenora asked.

?By the goddess, he?s huge!? Sarta said softly.

Lenora giggled. ?I said exactly the same thing when we met.?

The two friends looked and each other and dissolved into more laughter. ?Did you see the size of his feet?? Lenora gasped and they grabbed each other and squealed.

?I could use one of those boots as a boat on the lake,? Sarta quipped. ?And those shoulders?? She sighed dramatically. ?There ought to be a law against shoulders that broad.?

?I?m sure there is ? [i]somewhere[/i] in the galaxy,? Lenora replied. ?Do you suppose he?d let me lock him up for his crime?? This prompted more laughter and finally they could do no more than flop back on Lenora?s bed and look up at the ceiling, contemplating the many attractions of Amri-Lon Jinn together.

Finally, Sarta said quietly, ?Your parents will have a fit if they find out you?re meeting him.?

?I know,? Lenora answered softly, her voice solemn.

The two were silent for a moment and then Sarta asked, ?Why are you risking it? You never have before,? she noted.

Lenora shook her head and reached out for Sarta?s hand. ?I don?t know, and that?s the sad truth of it.? She lightly squeezed her friend?s hand. ?There?s just something about that man that draws me to him??

?Those big shoulders most likely, or perhaps those gigantic feet,? Sarta teased.

Lenora rolled so that she was facing her friend and the two young women stared at each other. ?He?s?he?s going to change my life,? Lenora predicted. ?I don?t know how exactly, or when, but he will.?

?Change can be bad as well as good, you know,? Sarta warned.

Lenora smiled slyly. ?I know? But I also know he?d never hurt me ? or anyone for that matter.?

Sarta snorted delicately. ?You can?t know that, Len,? she admonished. ?You?ve only just met him!?

?I [i]do[/i] know,? Lenora replied with great conviction. ?I don?t know [i]how[/i] I can be so sure of it, but I am.?

Sarta?s kind brown eyes were worried. ?Just be careful,? she pleaded. ?Not onl

19. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    ?Been getting an eyeful, have you?? Lenora asked.

?By the goddess, he?s huge!? Sarta said softly.

Lenora giggled. ?I said exactly the same thing when we met.?

The two friends looked and each other and dissolved into more laughter. ?Did you see the size of his feet?? Lenora gasped and they grabbed each other and squealed.

?I could use one of those boots as a boat on the lake,? Sarta quipped. ?And those shoulders?? She sighed dramatically. ?There ought to be a law against shoulders that broad.?

?I?m sure there is ? somewhere in the galaxy,? Lenora replied. ?Do you suppose he?d let me lock him up for his crime??

Love these dreamy descriptions!! [face_love] [face_love]

Lenora looked up at him through her lashes. ?And how could I hurt you?? He had taken a few steps, bringing him much closer to her with his long strides. She found herself closing the remaining distance.

He reached out and took her hand, placed it on his wide chest. She could feel the hammering of his heart beneath her palm. ?You could shatter that into a thousand tiny pieces,? he admitted softly.

=P~ =P~ And that is the point where I'd be throwing myself at him - forget etiquette or playing hard to get. :p From any other guy, I'd think it's just a line. But somehow from Amri, it seems so utterly sincere. [face_love] [face_love]

?Ah, little one,? he murmured. ?You?d best run far and fast if you?re going to run.?

Lenora stayed right where she was, lightly pressed up against him.

?You?re not running,? he said in a voice that was almost accusatory.

?No,? she whispered. ?I?m not.?

?You?re going to be getting kissed in a moment,? he warned.

?I?m waiting.?

?Last chance to run,? he whispered, his lips moving closer to hers.

?Do you always talk so-?? She groaned when his mouth touched lightly to hers. His kiss was tentative but she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him closer.

Wow!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

This story is my newest fan fic addiction. ;)

20. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I missed a post! How did that happen?? I am totally loving this story, Kim, especially the latest post -- she finally got kissed! Wooot! Only hope nothing happens to him in the six months while he's gone... but if he's anything like his son trouble is attracted to him ;)

21. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    When a man looks like that, he doesn?t need sweet words to charm a woman into his arms.?

I heartily agree! I know a few SW men who fit that description :p

Sarta sounds like a great friend. Lenora is lucky to have her.

Amri is leaving for 6 months!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hmmmmmm...could Lenora's parents somehow be involved in that? [face_thinking] [face_thinking] Sounds like something they would do.

Awesome update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I giggled right along with the girls in their discussion of Amri and his shoulders. [face_mischief] [face_mischief]

?I do know,? Lenora replied with great conviction. ?I don?t know how I can be so sure of it, but I am.?

I love the little shine of Force sensitivity. :D

No, not six months. They've only just met. :( :(

Oh my, that kiss. I could't decide between sighing along with them or crying for how sweet it was.

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Gina I think Amri was as surprised that those words came out of his mouth as Lenora! :p

Layren Well, at least you know they end up together! :D

KELIA Nope, her parents still don't have a clue!

Healer_Leona Well, as first kisses go it was a pretty darn good one! [face_love]

[b]Chapter 4[/b]

Lenora was surprised to discover that she missed Amri-Lon.

It was not that she did not find him intriguing and attractive, but she had only known him a few days before he left and already he had made enough of a place in her heart and thoughts that she felt bereft, knowing she would not see his tall figure standing in her garden. It did not seem fair that he had come to mean so much to her in so little time. Sarta confided that Amri-Lon had given her his comm code before he left, promising that any messages would get to him. She would also convey Amri?s messages to Lenora.

Her mother, however, sensing her restlessness, decided that nothing would do but that they took a trip into Theed. Lady Meretti decided to make it a shopping expedition, no doubt hopeful that the clothes Lenora purchased would prove to be part of her trousseau.

They arrived in Theed on a sunny morning, Lady Meretti already having contacted her many friends who still resided in the city. Already, they had obligations lined up before them for the next two weeks, a fact that brought Lenora to despair. The trip to the city was not at all her idea of fun, and she did not really know any of the families her mother had arranged for them to meet. The only bright spot in the fiasco was the fact that Sarta had been allowed to accompany them so that she could act as Lenora?s maid.

Theed was a lovely city, and Lenora?s reluctance had nothing to do with the city itself. While she would have been happy to visit the gardens and wander through museums, her mother considered such activities a waste of time. So instead, she would be stuck visiting people she did not know ? and shopping, there would be a lot of shopping.

As Sarta unpacked, Lady Meretti bustled into the room and immediately began ordering Lenora to get changed. ?Mother, we just got here,? Lenora said in exasperation. ?Why can?t we just rest today?? Secretly, she was hoping her mother would settle down for a nap so that [i]she[/i] could wander along the main avenue in the city, taking in some of the sights.

Lady Meretti shook her head. ?My dear girl, we have so many people to visit that if we don?t get started right away, we?ll never get them all in.?

?And what a tragedy [i]that[/i] would be,? Lenora muttered under her breath. Luckily, her mother did not hear her because she was too busy rifling through Lenora?s dresses and picking out something suitable.

?No, Sarta,? her mother was complaining. ?That simply won?t do. Yellow makes her look sallow.?

Sarta glanced over Lady Meretti?s shoulder and rolled her eyes. Lenora had to stifle a laugh and bit her lip. When her mother handed her a light blue dress she accepted it without protest. It was a bit tight, and not the most comfortable dress she owned, but she knew those things would not matter at all to her mother, and so she remained silent.

?See that she?s ready in one hour,? Lady Meretti ordered Sarta, ?and not one minute after.?

?Yes, ma?am,? Sarta replied quietly.

?And so it begins,? Lenora said with a sigh as the door closed behind her mother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amri-Lon looked at the chrono again.

It was only a minute later. Odd, he would have thought that at least fifteen minutes had passed since he checked the time. He sighed and rubbed his eyes. This trip was proving to be even longer and more boring than he had anticipated. However, his father had needed him. A smile came to his face when he remembered the discussion about the trip ? and other matters - with his father.

?I hate asking you to do this, my boy,? Qui-Gon had said. ?But this broken leg of mine is taking longer than I thought to heal. That?s the hell of growing old, I suppose.?

24. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved the conversation between the elder Qui-Gon and his son.

if a woman loves you, really loves you, then any home you make with her will be a mansion.?

Truer words were never spoken.

Lovely update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Love that Qui-Gon is named for his grandfather. [face_love]

Loved this :
    His father ruffled his hair as he used to do when Amri was a boy. ?Just remember, that if a woman loves you, really loves you, then any home you make with her will be a mansion.?

Absolutely. Although it doesn't hurt to have a bit of money...

Gerat job. Keep going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.