main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Place to Call My Own - prequel to Far From Home, Qui-Gon's parents, updated 6/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Lucky for Lenora that Sarta is there to keep her company. The shopping sounds pretty boring, but depending on the people, she could find new friends.

Awwww, Qui-Gon was named after his grandfather. How sweet and he is such a wise man. We can see how wisdom and compassion runs in the family. [face_love] [face_love]

Outstandig post!! :D :D

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Poor Lenora. Her mother is truly a woman on a mission. Love that Amri is named after his grandfather, and it seems that wisdom, true wisdom, runs in the family. ;)

?Just remember, that if a woman loves you, really loves you, then any home you make with her will be a mansion.?

Loved it! :D

You know how much I love this story and its characters!! [face_love]

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    KELIA I think our two Qui-Gons have a lot in common. :p

dianethx Well, no! :D But it's easier to make money than to find love. ;) Most of the time, anyway! [face_laugh]

Healer_Leona I had fun writing the elder Qui-Gon :p

Gina I admit, it's fun writing love story that doesn't end in tragedy. [face_mischief]

4. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Chapter 5

Dear Lenora,

My journey proceeds without incident, though more slowly than I had hoped. Before I met you, I would have been quite happy to roam about the galaxy, but now it seems I cannot drag my thoughts from a certain beauty on Naboo. You?ve spoiled for anything else, you know. I hope you?re happy now that you?ve ruined me.

Here I am, putting my heart in these words, and you may have very well have forgotten me by the time you read them. My father has always said that I express myself better ? more passionately - in writing than I do with speech, and I can only hope that this is so. Perhaps it is easier to say what I feel here because I do not have to look at you ? because when I look at you I want only to kiss you and hold you in my arms.

So far, nothing exciting has happened on this trip, something for which I am grateful. If things go according to schedule I?ll be home in five months ? an eternity. I know I am every sort of fool to hope you?ll remember me, much less think of me as I do of you, but I will continue to hope until you tell me plainly that the time for that has passed.

Until we meet again, I am yours ? if you want me.

Amri-Lon

He sighed as he ended the letter. During those times when he was busy attending to business, Lenora was still always there, lingering in the back of his thoughts, but he could function. During quiet moments such as this, however, he longed for her with a ferocity that surprised even him.

The scent of her hair, the graceful way she moved, the music of her laughter, all of these became the heart of his desire. Before Lenora, he had admired women, lusted after a few, indulged in healthy passion, but never had he felt such an overwhelming need for any of them. Groaning, Amri turned over in his bunk, knowing it would be a very long night indeed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Amri,

You insult me to think I am so fickle that I would not remember you. I am in Theed now, which could have been an exciting adventure except that my mother insists on dragging me to every dull party in the city. How many times can one have the same conversation without screaming? I suppose I shall soon find out.

To get your message today, the first one I might add, was unexpected. I had almost come to the conclusion that you had forgotten me, in which case I was fully prepared to steal a ship and go looking for you. Since I have no piloting skills to speak of, it might have been a very hazardous journey. So, if you want to keep me safe, write me as often as possible just so that I don?t get a mad idea in my head to go searching the galaxy for a big gundark of a man. I have a tendency toward wild adventure, I?m afraid. I?ve just never been able to indulge it.

Consider yourself warned, Amri-Lon Jinn.

Still yours,

Lenora

Lenora could not help but sigh happily that night as she lay in bed. She had memorized every word of his message and when she closed her eyes she could see Amri standing before her, his great booming laugh ringing out in their garden. Their garden? Yes, that?s what it was now, she mused.

It was a little frightening, how quickly she had become attached to him. Somehow, when the men her mother paraded before her bent over her hand, she was always wondering why their hair was cut so short, or why they were so very slim and delicate-looking. It seemed that a dark-haired giant of a rogue had captured her heart and she was not at all sure if she would ever get it back.

Tossing and turning in her lonely bed, Lenora dreamt of laughing blue eyes and lips that beckoned her closer.

~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Lenora,

I can see that you have a wicked streak in you a kilometer wide. How you have survived to this age I have no idea. Luckily, I like that sort of thing in a girl! Who wants a well-behaved, insipid girl who breaks into sobs at the least provocation? Not me, because I would quickly grow impatient with her and she would spend all her days crying. That?s no way to go through life, is it? I li

5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    First reation to this being updated was YAY!!!!!!!! lol

He sighed as he ended the letter. During those times when he was busy attending to business, Lenora was still always there, lingering in the back of his thoughts, but he could function. During quiet moments such as this, however, he longed for her with a ferocity that surprised even him.

I can so relate to that. I've learned to work and have a fantasy life all at the same time. It just takes a bit of practice. ;)

So, if you want to keep me safe, write me as often as possible just so that I don?t get a mad idea in my head to go searching the galaxy for a big gundark of a man.

Awwww. [face_love]

The communique's were delightful. They are such a perfect pair. New love is so very fine. [face_love] [face_love]

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed! I want more! :D, please?

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww....that was so sweet.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I love Amri's ability to show his insecurities, even if it is in writing.

And I liked how Lenora was able to use a bit of humor to reassure him.

But there are other much more important issues to settle before we make any rash decisions. Such as - will you let me have the last piece of chocolate cake or will you insist on woman?s prerogative and claim it for yourself?

Cake, however, really was important and it was best to get these things worked out ahead of time.

I heartily agree. Especially chocolate cake - :p

Great update!!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Healer_Leona So you're a talented multi-tasker?? :p

Dooku-Darklighter Thanks for reading, and OKAY!

KELIA I'd be tempted to put the cake issue in a pre-nup! [face_mischief]

[b]Chapter 6[/b]

Qui-Gon heard the chiming of the front door and looked up in bewilderment. He was not expecting any visitors as far as he could remember. Then he grimaced because he could only [i]hope[/i] that it was not the widow from down the street. She had had her eyes on him for months now and had made no secret of her intentions. None of his polite refusals had made an impact so far, and he sensed that soon he would have to move to [i]impolite[/i] ones. He hated to do that, because the widow wasn?t a bad sort, he simply wasn?t interested. His one and only love had been his wife and he was perfectly content to live with the memories he had of her.

Warily, he opened the door and peered outside, then a broad grin split appeared and he opened the door wide. ?Come on in!? he said enthusiastically.

Lenora smiled hesitantly and entered. ?I?m so sorry to drop in like this unannounced, but my best friend is away visiting a relative and my parents decided to attend a-? She shook her head and blushed lightly. ?Never mind all that,? she murmured. ?I just?? Lenora stopped and shrugged. ?I just wanted to come and see you. I?ve got no real excuse to give. Ever since we met that day, I?ve wanted to talk to you.?

He laughed, a huge booming sound like his son, and took one of her small hands in his big one. ?Well now, the day an old man like me needs a reason for a pretty young girl to drop in and see him is the day the galaxy has turned upside down.? He released her hand and moved toward the living area. ?Have a seat. Would you like some tea??

?No, that?s quite all right, thank you,? Lenora said politely as she took a seat. ?I?I hardly know what to say to you, sir.?

?You can start by calling me Qui-Gon,? he said with a playful wink. Then he sat back in his chair and smiled at her. She wore a casual gown in a light rose color and her hair was unbound, curling wildly around her flushed face. ?I see that my son has good taste.?

Lenora blushed once more and bit her lip. ?Thank you, sir ? I mean - Qui-Gon,? she stammered. ?But actually, I think that [i]I[/i] am the one with good taste.?

Qui-Gon nodded approvingly and chuckled. ?That?s what I mean; look at you, glowing like an angel just at the mere mention of my son. Now what father wouldn?t be thrilled with that??

?He [i]is[/i] quite special, you know,? Lenora said quietly as if Qui-Gon had denied it.

?Oh I know,? the father replied. ?But not everyone could see it. There are those who don?t look beyond what they see ? all they see is a big man, who must be dumb because he?s so big and strong.?

?I see someone who makes me feel safe,? Lenora whispered as if speaking to herself. Then she straightened her shoulders. ?I like your son,? she said rather unnecessarily.

?I had suspected that much,? Qui-Gon answered with a twinkle in his eyes. ?What can I do to help you, my dear??

She seemed to shrink in her seat at that, her shoulders slumping and her lips pulling down in dejection. ?That?s just it, you see,? she answered somewhat plaintively. ?I don?t know. I guess?? Lenora sighed. ?I guess I just miss him and I thought that by coming here to see you I?d feel closer to him and miss him a little less.? She shook her head and laughed at her own foolishness. ?That sounds so silly, now that I say it out loud.?

Qui-Gon leaned forward and patted her hand. ?It doesn?t sound silly at all,? he assured her. ?How about I make us some tea and I?ll share some horribly embarrassing stories about Amri when he was a boy??

?Deal,? Lenora replied with a grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lenora wiped away the tears from her face. She was laughing so hard that she had started to cry, and Qui-Gon was not in much better shape. ?And then,? Qui-Gon gasped, trying to finish his story. ?He turned to me and said, as seriously as only a child can be, ?Bu

9. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Aw, Qui-Gon's a sweetie! [face_love]

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Qui-Gon's great. I love how he's already accepted her into his heart and is sneaky enough to tell stories about his son. Really brings them all closer together.

Great job.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That was so cute! [:D]Qui really is an insightful and kind fellow...I can tell this family is going to be tender and strong. Bravo. How long till Amri show's up again? Eagerly awaiting more! :D=D=

12. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004

Indeed Qui! Indeed! [face_love]

Well done! Another lovely chapter! [:D] Whoo-hoo!

13. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww....that was soooo sweet.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I loved how Qui-Gon took the time to spend with Lenora who just missed his son, though I don't know if Amri would be too happy about all the embarrassing stories he shared!

It's wonderful to see Lenora forming a strong bond with Amri's father.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

14. Master_Shehnron

Master_Shehnron Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2006
    That was kriffing sweet (even though i'm a dude) I'm not the romantic type of dude but i read all the Fics that I can! It was really good though! =D= [face_peace] peace-out!

15. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    The letters!!!! Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] I had this big goofy grin on my face the entire time I read that chapter. :D And I LOVE Qui-Gon. It's easy to see where his son got his good looks and his beautiful spirit. ;)

Have I told you how much I LOVE this story? [:D]

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    VadersMistress Just like his grandson and namesake! :p

dianethx Every parent's duty is to embarrass their child in some way. :D

Dooku-Darklighter The answer to that question is in this next post.

Kynstar Thank you! [:D]

KELIA She'll need that bond. :)

Master_Shehnron Thank you for reading!

Gina Yes you did. When we had lunch! ;)

[b]Chapter 7[/b]

?You must look your best, Lenora,? her mother said sternly. ?And I don?t want you sneaking out early to come up to your room and read or something equally foolish.?

Lenora suppressed a sigh as Sarta arranged her hair carefully in an elaborate coif. With admirable patience, Sarta placed semi-precious jewels in her curls, scattering them like stars in Lenora?s dark hair. ?I don?t know why [i]this[/i] party is so different,? she grumbled under her breath.

In the mirror, Lenora could see Sarta bite her lip to keep from laughing and that almost started [i]her[/i] laughing, which would have been a disaster at the moment. Her mother whirled around and put her hands up in the air dramatically. ?You don?t [i]need[/i] to understand why this party is different, young lady,? Lady Meretti scolded. ?You just need to do as you?re told.?

Once her mother was out of the room, Lenora turned to Sarta. ?What?s going on?? she asked anxiously. ?Mother?s been even more of a?? She grinned. ?Well, she?s just been [i]more[/i], if you know what I mean.?

?I do,? Sarta answered. With a worried look at the door, she sat down on the small vanity bench. ?I?ve just heard a few whispers, you understand ? nothing I?d care to gamble on.?

Lenora leaned close. ?Then tell me the whispers,? she instructed her friend. ?Mother is obviously up to [i]something[/i] and if I know what?s coming I can be better prepared to wriggle my way out of it.?

?You?re sure you want to get out of it?? Sarta asked playfully.

?Anything of which my mother approves is guaranteed to infuriate me or bore me to tears,? Lenora said dryly.

?Your mother has invited a gentleman,? Sarta confided. ?A [i]suitable[/i] gentleman of a certain place in society??

Lenora groaned. ?Oh goddess! It?s worse than I thought,? she said. ?She?s grown impatient with me and decided to match me up herself. He?ll probably be odious and boring and perfectly horrible.?

Sarta nodded and patted Lenora on the shoulder. ?I?m afraid she has,? she admitted. ?But I haven?t any clue as to what he?s like. I?ve been trying to get a look and so far, no luck.?

With a sigh, Lenora turned back to the mirror. ?I?ve been expecting this,? she said mournfully. ?And Father would never dream of arguing the point with her.?

?Not in a million years,? Sarta agreed. She had known the family almost her whole life and everyone on the estate knew quite well that it was Lady Meretti who ruled the tiny kingdom with a durasteel fist and an ice cold voice of command.

Squaring her shoulders, Lenora stared at her own image. Her jaw clenched and a determined appeared in her eyes. ?Amri will home in less than a month,? she said softly. ?All I have to do is delay until then.?

?Not meaning to put a hole in your little bubble of happiness, Lenora,? Sarta interjected. ?But exactly what will change when Amri arrives? He?ll never meet with your mother?s approval, and to your mother, getting you married to the [i]right[/i] man is even more important than getting you married at all. She?d rather die ? actually she?d rather [i]you[/i] die ? than see you marry someone like Amri-Lon Jinn.?

Lenora met her friend?s eyes in the mirror and smiled. ?What my mother wants doesn?t really matter anymore, Sarta.? She reached up and adjusted a curl. ?What matters is what [i]I[/i] want?and what Amri wants.?

Sarta sighed, recognizing Lenora?s stubborn and reckless mood. It was going to be quite interesting around the estate in the coming weeks, she thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lenora descended the stairs and waited for the servant to open the door. Her mother wo

17. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Uh Oh...why do I have a bad feeling about Amri's coming home early? [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried].

I'm so relieved Lyman is willing to deceive his parents and Lenora's parents. I just hope they are not so convincing Amri believes it.

Wonderful update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, oh. Amri's going to get the wrong impression, I just feel it! This was cute. I like Lyman. He seems like a nice person and if Lenora hadn't already given her heart away, they might have made a nice couple - assuming Lyman was free...
    Good job.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    You updated, thanks! :D

Oh, my...This isn't likely to go over well for anyone, at first. I don't like deception, the young ones ought to be tactfully honest with their folks. Something tells me, Lenora is going to be quite embaressed once Amri finds out about this. Amri may even get jealous. I hope they can sort this out soon. Exzcept for presenting a false face to the public the young suitor appears to be an agreeable sort.

Looking forward to more. @};-

20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    ?You don?t need to understand why this party is different, young lady,? Lady Meretti scolded. ?You just need to do as you?re told.?

That so sends alarms off in my head, though not nearly as much as Lenora thinking everything was going to work out.

Wonderful to see more here Kim.

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    KELIA That will be addressed in this next post. :p

dianethx Lyman is free... From a certain point of view. [face_whistling]

Dooku-Darklighter A confrontation is coming. :D

Healer_Leona Glad you liked it!

[b]Chapter 8[/b]

?So tell me, what does the heir to a huge shipping fortune find of interest here on quiet little Naboo?? Lenora asked with a slight smile.

?Why I came here to see you, of course,? Lyman answered smoothly.

?So your father forced you to come here?? Lenora guessed.

Lyman laughed and shrugged. ?Let?s just say that circumstances made it wise for me to make an appearance here.? Then he nudged her, making her almost stumble. ?But at least I?m enjoying the company.?

?You?re incorrigible, you know,? Lenora accused laughingly as she righted herself.

?I know,? Lyman admitted without a hint of shame. ?It?s one of my most charming traits.?

?And one of your most dangerous,? Lenora observed pointedly. She came to a stop and studied him, her head tilting, her expression bemused. ?I?ll be you?ve cut quite a swath through the eligible ladies of the galaxy.?

?And the ineligible,? he confessed with a wink.

Shaking her head, Lenora began walking once more and Lyman fell easily into step beside her. ?I?ve been here almost two weeks and your mother has shown me every courtesy,? Lyman said.

?While throwing me into your path at every given opportunity,? Lenora reminded him, grimacing.

?I expected nothing less,? Lyman replied. ?I?ve seen her type before. Ambitious mothers, out to capture a rich prize for their son or daughter. It?s an occupational hazard, I guess you?d say. As far as your mother is concerned, I?m a walking credit chip.?

?I hope you don?t think that I-?

?Oh please,? Lyman interrupted. ?I hardly think you would have warned me that all of this would lead to nothing if you were trying to maneuver me into wedlock.?

?But I might be far more clever than you suspect,? Lenora said with a sidelong glance.

?In which case, I would marry you instantly in order to have brilliant children to whom I could pass on the family business so that I might continue to play,? Lyman retorted without a moment?s hesitation.

?Do you ever take [i]anything[/i] seriously?? she asked.

?Not if I can help it,? he replied with a shrug. ?Life is too short to take it seriously.? Then he stopped and reached out to brush his fingers along her cheek. ?This is just a friendly word of advice, Lenora. Don?t live your life for your mother. It?s your life, the only one you?re probably going to get and you should spend it doing what [i]you[/i] want.?

Lenora met his eyes and smiled. ?I intend to do just that,? she assured him.

?See that you do,? Lyman murmured, his expression oddly intent. ?Go after what you want, because even if you fail, you?ll find some comfort in knowing that you tried.?

Unable to help herself, she laughed. ?What are you? A philosopher in disguise??

?Hardly,? he snorted. ?I?m just a man - a guy who wants to make his own way in the universe and knows you want to do the same.? Then he paused and looked up toward her home. ?And your mother is currently watching us,? he warned her in a low voice.

?From her window?? Lenora asked, putting her hand over her mouth to stifle her laughter.

?I suppose,? Lyman answered. ?So what I?m going to do is lean down and kiss you.?

Lenora?s eyes went wide as she gazed up at him. ?You are??

?Consider it a performance for your mother?s sake,? he whispered, a mischievous glint in his eyes. ?And for stars? sake, don?t pull away in surprise. She?s got to think we?ve been doing a lot of this.?

?All right,? Lenora said dazedly.

Lyman leaned in slowly and then she felt his lips on hers. His breath was sweet; she could smell the shuura fruit they had shared at the morning meal. His hands came up to lightly grasp her waist. Lenora found herself clutching at his shoulders.

The man was a [i]very[/i] good kisser.

When his mouth left hers, Lenora stared up at him in bemusement. Her

22. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    Thanks for the PM I'll have to try it.:D

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    That was great. I loved that Lyman actually knows Amri and was doing the old switcheroo in order to get Lenora's mother off the trail. I'm sure Lenora isn't too happy about this at present but that should change...

Very cute.

24. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I took you unintentional advise and read it. I love the secret garden and Star Wars so this was delightful.

That last scene almost gave me a heart attack until they acknowledged they knew each other.

My only problem is now I've caught up with the story and will have to wait for the next post.

This was excellent and I would like to be on the Pm list for real.
    =D==D==D==D==D=

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Good thing Lyman is being honest with her. Sounds like just the sort of scoundrel it would be easy to fall for.

Amri laughed and shook his head. ?Ah well, now I?m home and I can protect your virtue.?

?Go ahead and laugh,? Qui-Gon said. ?Just remember, she wants to be your step-mother.?

The smile left Amri?s face.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Lyman shrugged. ?Someone had to get her mother off the scent,? he observed. ?And I happened to be the right man for the job.?

Amri-Lon laughed.

Lyman grinned.

Lenora just glared at the two of them.

Ahhhhh, damn. You set us up. I thought for sure that there was going to be a confrontation and misunderstandings. I love that they know each other, even more so when I'm surprised by a twist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.