main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A problem with my mike. HELLLP!

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by WinterRose, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WinterRose

WinterRose Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    Once upon a time, before my upgrade, recording was fun and relatively easy to do. Read into Cool Edit 2, edit flubs, noise reduce and save.

Then... I upgraded to a newer computer with an on the motherboard sound card.

THEN I accidentally dunked the mike on my good headphone mike into my coffee. (D'OH!!!)

Well... I've since picked up a nice mike from radio shack with internal noise reduce features (needs double a's but that's alright by me.) The problem now, friends and neighbors is that there's a high pitched whine in the background for all my recordings now. I've tried enabling and disabling the mike boost in my windows sound settings. I've tried all kinds of blocky looking noise reduce algorythms to get rid of it. No good. I can't get it out of there without mauling the sound quality.

What are some of the causes of such a thing? Might it be having multiple things plugged into said card? (Sound from the VCR on the Line In beside the Mike In) That I have a splitter on the audio out? (One to the headphones, the other to an Altec Lansing speaker/subwoofer setup)

The only thing I can think to do at this point is to look in my motherboard book to find the jumper that disables the on-board sound in favor of installing my old Soundblaster Pro 128 card, which never gave me a problem, though it is something like 5 years old now.

Have any of you had this problem, and if so, how did you go about eliminating it? I've recently gotten in touch with someone that wants me to voice the lead for a videogame he's doing. His former efforts have been written up in the NY Times and Video Game Monthly in the UK. I want to put forward a favorable recording that might be my foot in the door to more professional work, but this whine might hamstring me. HELLLP!

-WinterRose

2. WinterRose

WinterRose Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    Well, whaddaya know. Unplugging the speakers from the computer helped LOADS. The whine is still there if I use the mike boost, but it's gone at normal levels. REJOICE!!

TTFN FOLKS!

*^_^*

3. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    yup. has worked for me. The hum wasn't in the mic, it was in the speakers themselves. Especially if they have a subwoofer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.