main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Saber Question

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LordMoltar, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    I have, what I think, is a good idea for a weapon a character in my "Star Wars" story could use, but I would first like to know if it is possible to be used. I was wondering if any combination of Adegan crystals for lightsabers could create a black light effect for the blade, because I pictured the character having a "negative" saber color of almost pure black.

2. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    There's a lot of debate about this around the place. On the one hand, there's the theory (or fact?) that the crystals create the colour of the blade. On the other, however, black doesn't really glow or produce light as a lightsaber does (at least as far as I can picture).

Personally, I would choose a different colour. But ultimately it's up to you!

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Black saber blades do not exist for a simple reason - black color absorbs the light and black light is simply no light at all. :)

If you want a "negative" lightsaber, you may go with very dark red or purple - but the core will still be white, though. :)

And if your character is a Sith, I recommend lanvarok - a Sith weapon invented by Darth Ishtar (but you'll have to ask her first whether you can use it, also how is works). ;)

I hope it helped a little...

4. zaphod_beeblebrox

zaphod_beeblebrox Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    i'll second that

5. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  6. Aralna

Aralna Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2000
    Actually Mar, I thought the lanvarok was mentioned in one of the books. Something spelled similar was anyway. It was in a conversation between Mirax (maybe Mara, I remember the M, but I think it was Mirax) and Karrde. Something about a left handed buyer for one. I can't remember which book, and it wasn't an important passage, so I don't know why I remember it.

But other than that minor thing, I agree with what you said. :)

7. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    The lanvarok was mentioned in the Bacta War and Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand. There is no mention in either source about exactly what it was, although it is evident that lanvarok that Mara owned for a short time (distinctive in that it is made for some who was left handed) somehow made its way into the hands of Mirax, and thence to Karde.

8. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Thanks for the info, people. I'll have to make sure to re-read the Mara Jade graphic novel to remind myself of the particular artifact you're talking about. I know it's next to impossible to have an ALL black lightsaber, but I would at least like to have the nearest options available.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, I haven't read many SW books (just the Thrawn Trilogy, Truce At Bakura, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Planet, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and half of I, Jedi), and I haven't seen any mentions of lanvaroks there. [face_plain] So sorry if I was wrong. :)

But if you want to have something similar to a black saber, LM, I suggest you use a deep, dark red (bordeaux), or dark purple. :)

10. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    For the sake of originality, I'd try to avoid using the word "red."

11. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Instead of a dark red or purple, would it be possible to make a dark blue lightsaber blade?

And also, while I'm on the subject of unusual lightsabers, I had another idea for a character in my story. She would have a regular lightsaber, but she would attatch a foot long handle to the end of the saber hilt, giving it more of a broadsword appearance. Like Gantoris' lightsaber in the "Jedi Academy" trilogy, she would also be able to adjust its length, and I pictured her carrying the saber in a back holster. Hopefully this idea's somewhat of an original one. :)

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, I thought all the sabers have adjustable length and intensity (I mean, it's possible to build them like that). I read that in TPM visual dictionary - both Obi's and Qui's lighsabers are like that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.