main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Short Time Ago, In A Neighbourhood Not Far Away (Dare Challenge response) Complete | Thanks all!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bi0nic, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Gerald? Andrew? Drew Ku? Oh my goodness, I am just laughing at the names. how hilarious!

smellier? Fatter? Someone needs to MAKE this movie!

Glad you decided to continue!

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That was awesome, Bionic! And hmm, you lay that challenge upon me? Perhaps I shall take it upon myself to remake the PT and OT.

And I'd dedicate it to you, as well. Indeed, so uncivilized! And Drew Koo? *Gasp*

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    My goodness! You did continue it! :eek: [face_laugh] Oh totally hilarious!! I liked the 'Drew Koo' [face_laugh]

Well done once more!!! =D= Awesome job on the quotes again too!! Hehehehe smellier and fatter!! [face_laugh]

Excellent work!!

4. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I love the description of the dark side, you've done what many anime fan AU's haven't been able to make me do(except maybe for Full Metal Azumanga).....laugh a lot.
    ...now what does Gerald Grievous look like?

5. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Noelie: Yes, the names are a bit wacky, I know. I gave Grievous the first name Gerald in the first part, but it's easy to miss it as it looks so similar to General and the human eye tends to fill in the blanks sometimes when it comes to things like that. I decided to make it a bit more prominent in this second part. Seeing as Count Dooku doesn't appear to have a first name, I couldn't help trying to give him one in this.

I'm glad I decided to continue too, thanks for reading!

RK_Striker_JK_5: Thanks a lot! I was only kidding about the challenge, but if you want to do it, you're absolutely more than welcome. Good luck with that, pal, I feel you're going to need it. ;)

Kynstar: Drew Koo seems to have gone down quite well, I'm glad you like it. Thinking back on it, I wish I'd made it Paul Patine instead of Palpatine, and extended the play on names theme even further. The smellier and fattier lines are quite childish humour, but what the hell, sometimes the inner child need a little nourishing. Thank you! :D

kecen: Thanks! I enjoyed the waste management dark side bit too, despite (or perhaps because of) its innate silliness. What does Gerald Grievous look like? I haven't the faintest idea. I'd imagine he's probably on the chunky side, but apart from that, I didn't really think about it much.

6. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Yay! I'm so glad you continued - and once again, you somehow managed to make it all fit so perfectly within the movie dialogue!! [face_thinking] 8-} Awesome!

I especially loved the way Anakin and Obi-wan defended themselves - with garbage can lids!! :eek: [face_laugh] Hee! That's perfect! And the twist on the character's names were an extra touch of brillance - I was laughing out loud anyway and then that just topped it off. And then there's the insults they were hurling at each other - smellier, fatter... [face_laugh]

I am positively amazed by your creativity! Wow! Way to go!!

7. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I can't believe I missed this wonderful gem!:oops: :eek: :D One of the funniest fics I ever read...the descriptions and how you integrated the characters into the setting of the story and used the plotline from ROTS...brilliant![face_laugh] [face_laugh]

8. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    [face_laugh] Loved the parralelism to ROTS. =D= =D= [face_laugh] Hi-larious!

9. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    Yes, I've noticed more people post here. But you're just visiting, I understand. Maybe I'll have to visit BtS someday and post something. Either way, I'm glad you had fun with this story.

This was even funnier than the first post!

Obi-Wan's immediate thoughts following his greeting were great. But it's his wacky sense of humour coming out.

Artoo's entrance was inspired. It even had the lightening. I guess it's the closest equivalent to space battle.

The trashcan lids! The union cards! The final comment of Obi-Wan's. Wonderful.

10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    After a split second, it was all over. Both trash can lids clattered to the floor, dropped by arms which felt like they had just been run over by a van followed by a tank followed by a double-decker bus.

Nothing like a little comic hyperbole to jumpstart the morning.

Loved this! It was clever and funny, and kept true to the original. The convenient crash of lightning behind Artoo was a perfect touch. And the trash can lids instead of lightsabers!

You are one creative writer. Hope to read more from you!

11. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    VA_Parky: Thanks a lot! I'm glad you thought it fit in well with the movie's dialogue, I was a little worried about the leap from the Invisible Hand scenes to the part on Utapau, but I think it just about worked it the end.

I thought the garbage can lids worked well too, thanks. I couldn't think of any other trash-related objects they could have used to realistically survive that situation. In the movie, I always thought that Anakin's and Grievous' trading of the insults older and shorter was quite childish, so what better way to go in the name of humour than get even more childish?

Thanks again! :D

Ludo_Kressh: One of the funniest fics you've ever read? Surely not! You do me too much honour. Many thanks Ludo, I'm a big fan of any preeminent Sith Lord such as yourself and I don't care what Naga Sadow says, I don't think you whine like the weakest of downtrodden underlings.

Meredith_Kenobi: Thank you very much!

LadyLunas: I think it's the colour scheme more than anything. Blue works just fine, but there's something about the soft, lush shade of green in Before that spells home for me. Maybe it's because I'm an Englishman and a green and pleasant land is what I'm used to. :p

Thanks a lot, I'm really pleased it tickled your funny bone a little, I was worrried about falling flat after the first part. I had fun with Artoo's entrance, it was the perfect opportunity to an over-the-top melodramatic entrance and get away with it. Thanks again, 'preciate your support sis. :D

divapilot: Yeah, that line was pretty hyperbolic, although, if you did have the force of ten bullets slamming into your arm, shielded only by a thin layer of metal, you proabably would feel pretty knackered.

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked! I would have loved to use ophelia's idea to use garbage-prodding poles or long-handled street sweeping brooms instead of lightsabers, but I felt obligated in the end to attempt to reach for even a faint level of realism.

12. NaomiOrganaSolo

NaomiOrganaSolo Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 8, 2005
    [face_laugh] I LOVE this story! Hilarious!

The names are great - Gerald, Ray Shields, Drew Koo - that would be enough to have me laughing, but I love the way you play on the original dialogue too. This line was especially great, If the strike is brought down we shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

You could toss him into a skip which was full to the brim with rotting garbage and he'd come up with a fist full of recyclables, a pocket full of change and a smile on his face.Is it wrong that this image of Anakin made me a little, erm, excited? There must be something not right with me....

13. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    oh wow! awesome response!

that was really ingenious, fitting all those bits in.

i loved Artoo!

garbage can lids? ha!

14. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    NaomiOrganaSolo: Thank you very much! I'm pleased you enjoyed the names, although looking back on it, I think I could have gone further, doing something like Paul Patine instead of Palpatine and maybe even mucking around with Anakin and Obi-Wan's names. I'm glad you liked that particular line, I wasn't sure the resemblance to "If you strike me down . . ." came through as well as I hoped, but if at least one person liked it, then I'm happy. :)

If it's acceptable for me to be excited by Leia wearing a garment that had to be welded rather than sewn while being held captive by an overgrown slug, then I see no reason why you can't be excited by Anakin in whatever situation you please. Mazel tov.

Jennifer_Lyn: Thanks a lot! Artoo's always fun, though he lacks a certain something as a non-droid in this. Oh well, at least I found an excuse to have him be beeping. Thanks again. :)

15. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Oh, wow. Masterful use of ROTS, connecting all the names and lines - fantastic! You took what looked to me like an impossible dare and made something awesome out of it. :D

Great job!

16. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    JEDI scum

[face_laugh]

This was just so funny! I loved it. Good work on a difficult challenge!

17. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    talkingbanana: Thanks a lot! I didn't think it was an impossible dare, but I was worried that it seemed to be pushing me outside of the normal Star Wars universe and I wasn't sure that reading about Obi-Wan as a trashman was going to be interesting in the least. But I'm pleased you thought it came out well. :D

raisedbywolves: Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed.

18. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Best. Dare. Ever.

I was laughing from the opening scrawl to the last sentence. And I'm amazed at how...close it actually was to RotS, while at the same time being so wildly different. :D

"Ray Shields!" Anakin exclaimed.

"What?"

"That guy over there, that's Ray Shields!"

The randomness! I love it! [face_laugh] But now you've got me thinking...somewhere out there in RL, there probably is a Ray Shields. Poor guy. :p

"You fool," Grievous replied emphatically. "I've been trained in your JEDI arts by one of the greatest trashmen ever. He goes by the name of 'The Count', although you may also know him by his real name?Andrew Koo."

[face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

The names in this are classic! The Trashman With No Fear, Gerald Grievous, Ray Shields, Drew Koo...OMG! And, of course, Palpatine for School Board President. And Artoo, the idiot kid. :D

And garbage can lids to save the day! Priceless!

Hilarious, incredible, wonderful, brilliant fic, bi0nic! =D= =D= =D=

19. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Thanks a lot amidalachick! I think you hit the nail on the head with mentioning the randomness of it all. I didn't think this fic was funny in the traditional sense so much as it was just absurdly random.

You're right, there almost certainly is a Ray Shields out there, but I think it'd be pretty cool to have your name be in a movie in like a secret, subliminal way like that. I don't think I'll ever be able to hear that line in the movie again without cringing and/or suppressing a giggle.

Yeah, I had fun with the names, they definitely added to the randomness factor. Especially 'Drew Koo', that really is tacky looking back on it.

Thank you very much. :D

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    great, great job bi0nic. i loved it. this was one of the most hilarious things i've read in a long time, glad i stopped in.

the names are great, i loved them. especially drew koo. great one.

the use of the trashcan lids was great, and i loved the description of the darkside of waste management. *chuckles*

this would be great as a whole saga, or the whole saga for that matter.

21. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Cheers Trimaj!

Yeah, the names were fun to do, especially the really silly ones, like Drew Koo.

It's funny that you should say that this could be done for the whole Saga, as Striker said the same thing and is now considering attempting to do it. It seems to be a popular concept.

22. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm sorry I took so long to get here, but you really were inspired to continue this, bionic! I loved it. The names, the lines worked in from the movies, the general feel overall was so Star Wars-ish that it had me giggling the whole way through..

Bravo on such a difficult challenge! =D= =D= =D= =D=

23. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    No need for apologies Jade, as far as I'm concerned you're fashionably late. Many thanks for your kind words. :D

24. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    [face_laugh]

This was hilarious!! The detail you put into this was amazing! LOVED IT!

LOVED the opening crawl! [face_laugh]

Everyone's commented on it but this was a brilliant piece of dialogue:

"Ray Shields!" Anakin exclaimed.

"What?"

"That guy over there, that's Ray Shields!"

LMAO!!

And this just killed me:

Drew? Drew Koo? It couldn't be. The man had once been a JEDI, but had since embraced the dark side of waste management: polluting rivers, poisoning wildlife, dumping unsorted waste into unregulated landfill sites.

[face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

You, my friend, are hilarious!

Thanks to ophelia for pointing me in the direction of this! Definitely award worthy!!

25. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Cheers Souderwan!

Yeah, the detail was pretty painstakingly researched - it took a handful of very careful viewings of the opening of ROTS to attempt to get the dialogue and that to all match up.

I'm glad you've pointed out the opening crawl and Ray Shields as two parts you liked, as I've just included those sections in the excerpt from this fic for the awards.

That reminds me, a very big thank you to the lovely people who gave this story a couple nods for the Saga Awards [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.