main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion A show about the Senate?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by The Senate, Feb 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    Can we get a Star Wars show based just in the senate?Like shows how it’s corrupt and and stuff?Could also show how Palpatine pulled a few strings in some senators.
    Can we at least get the senate to vote on this idea??

B3, Darth Dnej, xezene and 2 others like this.
  2. Demon4x4

Demon4x4 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 29, 2019
    House of Cards, in Space. Sign me up.

3. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Noooooooo, no gropey Spaceys in space.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  5. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm all for it. The Disney+ TV format allows for many different types of Star Wars stories. I want to see some more political intrigue in Star Wars. Besides, it would be a good reason to go back to Coruscant. ;)

teamhansolo likes this.
  6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    More like The West Wing only the Star Wars Galactic Senate!

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Don’t understand why it should focus on the corruption of the Senate. Palpatine‘s the bad guy for overpowering the Senate and then dissolving it, so if such a show existed, it should focus on the virtues of the Senate, and the people within it who fought to keep the Republic vs. those who tried to undermine it. I say set it after ROTS. The last gasp of opposition to the Empire within the Senate could be a thrilling show.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I certainly wouldn't think it should focus on the corruption in the Senate, but that should be an element of the show.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What about a show focused just on the Senate building? Like we have a camera on top of the building and we just watch as people go in and out. Maybe hear snippets of conversations but nothing too interesting. Mostly just where they want to go to lunch. Could be fun.

10. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Yes, I love the idea! I'm surprised something like this isn't in the works, actually.

As with most Star Wars, you'd need to contrast the corruption with those forces rallying against it. But that doesn't mean a corrupt character can't or shouldn't be our lead.

Love to see Ian Mcdiarmid star in this. And we can see just how many ladies he has on the side. ;)

11. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    I've always had an idea about a Jar Jar political thriller taking place right after Return of the Jedi about him becoming a target for many political factions. It would be great for the first episode to take place with Jar Jar looking out his window to witness the destruction of a statue of Palpatine. It's probably impossible to make now because of that mean spirited
    interlude in Aftermath and pointless the death of Panaka
    , but I'm sure Ahmed Best would love to do it and I would love to watch it. Just make it fit into the Legends continuity the same way The Mandalorian did and it would be perfect!

teamhansolo likes this.
  12. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Depends on what the Senate centric show is like. If it moves around a lot, follows inspiring characters, or has a West Wing type vibe going on, it could be pretty good.

On the other hand, if it's just space C-Span I can hardly think of anything I would less like to watch.

teamhansolo and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    if you do a senate series do it at the time corruption seems to step in and have bloodthirsty senators go at each other. maybe another sith as a senator trying sow darkness in the senate chambers.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @Darth Chiznuk
    @Strilo

In addition to the what Senators are eating for lunch idea (which is brilliant), I like the idea of a show focused on the “Rebellion in the Senate.” A post-ROTS show with Senators and their aides that are in cahoots with the Rebellion outside (and we get to see their interactions, including in the dark alleys of Coruscant), and trying to stop the Emperor. There are also cutaways to the Rebels in the field, etc, thus connecting the shadowy intrigue in the Senate with the military actions outside Coruscant and throughout the galaxy. The conflict IN the Senate, on the other hand, is mostly about defenders of the Republic, others who back the Emperor willingly, others who try to profit off the Imperial order (i.e. corruption) and still others who have decided to “survive” in this new reality by going along with the Imperial order, but biding their time to act later (we see evidence of these kinds of Senators in Rogue One). Debates about how to fight the Emperor most effectively and disagreements about the risks to take, etc, could be really gripping life-or-death drama, with people getting carried off into the night, and even the Emperor presiding over a key death or two. Ending, of course, in the bloody “dissolution of the Senate,” which should be shown - with an edge of hope, as Mothma escapes. That could provide for a lot of really interesting and realistic political drama, as opposed to just a one-note “corruption” angle, which was a cynically simplistic aspect of the American “House of Cards” that I never liked (and is why I stopped watching long before Spacey’s fall).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  15. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'd like them to actually expand on what happened with the New Republic so like they did with the Clone Wars animated series actually make sense of what transpired until the Sequel Trilogy completely messed things up and hopefully they don't let whoever insured Star Wars Resistance couldn't help get anywhere near such as series as this.

Ideally they need to demonstrate how Luke took his order away from the New Republic to avoid repeating the mistakes of the Prequels and in the process this is used by Snoke revealed to be a former political prisoner of the Empire who regained his wealth after being freed.
    He's actually a former Inquisitor and thereby a former Jedi whose background history Luke eventually discovers.
    (Yes I know they revealed he's a clone in 9 and killed him off pointlessly in 8 but wouldn't you rather this be explained properly and not in a comic or book when they're supposed to be building this franchise?!)

Leia tries to help Mon Mothma despite the former rebel leader's prejudices against armed forces is manipulated to begin the disarmament process eventually seen in episode 7.
    Maybe have them subvert a few of the surviving prequel Jedi to re-establish the Jedi Order in the New Republic despite Luke's warning so there's a legitimate reason they call Kylo Ren a Jedi Killer and perhaps have the New Republic responsible for the destruction of Luke's temple thereby giving Ben a legitimate reason for assuming an alias and waging war against the New Republic?

Yes not going to happen just hope whatever they have planned is miles better than either the ST or Resistance which shouldn't have been encumbered with supporting the appalling Sequel Trilogy.

Anyway best wishes for your Senate idea.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  16. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I would be interested in seeing this show. For one, it could explain how things got to the point where companies have senators in the assembly. It goes without saying that that would be a corrupting influence, and it's one of my favorite details in TPM. We could also see the interplay between the Jedi and the Senate. The only thing is that, the political voice of the prequels and of the originals (and TCW) had George's stamp, kind of expressing the way he saw the world and the criticisms he had. It's not impossible to continue that, like the Expanded Universe did (although much of that did itself go through George's approval first), but if so I would like to see it done in a similar fashion and with a similar ideological angle that George had.

It would also have to be done right without feeling dull -- I actually felt the prequels did a good job of making it not feel like C-SPAN, at least to me. There was intrigue always present when the Senate was on screen, shot from interesting angles -- the Jedi, Padme's pod, etc. Another issue with the idea is that I haven't seen very much overtly political material from the new management, with the new films completely steering away from it entirely, so I really doubt this show would be created in the first place. Nice idea though. I'm sure George would like it if you suggested it to him. :)

Valiowk and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  17. The Senate

Feb 12, 2020
    Maybe the season finale could have them go to dinner or something exciting like that!

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    This is a show I’d die for. Sounds brilliant! One small correction though: Mothma became a fugitive before the dissolution of the Senate. We see that in Rebels. She condemned the Emperor and was forced to flee Coruscant. Would be great to see what led up to that though!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, right! I forgot that. Though if we did get the dissolution of the Senate, I imagine they could show a few other Senators who fled and made it it to Yavin IV (or to safe houses elsewhere). Perhaps retcon a few of the Rebel leaders in ESB and ROTJ as former Senators?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Ehh, I dunno. "Dissolve" the Senate kinda connotes "they're all heads on pikes" to me, personally. Bail aside, nuked to ash in the laser lightshow of doom.

21. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Do it.

darklordoftech and The Senate like this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love it if was kind like house of cards.

23. The Senate

Feb 12, 2020
    Dew it!

Blobofat likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I really doubt that. There’s no reason for Palpatine to murder them all. That would just provoke further rebellion. The Senators who were loyal to him were probably rewarded with governorships while those who weren’t either went home or joined Mon Mothma and the Rebellion.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree, and think it would be insanely effective to show what “dissolution” meant. Classic Tarkin euphemism. But because this is Star Wars, and hope and stuff, they could have a few Senators escape either through luck, premonition or last-minute intel, and join the Rebels. And show the loyal to the Emperor Senators get incorporated into the Imperial leadership somehow (and while they’re at it, put one of them on the doomed Death Star...).