main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Shrouded Path (Obi-Wan, Xanatos, Anakin - Prequels AU) - FINALLY Chapter 63 Updated 03-21-09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hehehe gotta love Palps here in this [face_mischief] Sorry folks ;) can't help it since I'm playing him in the collab me and Layren are doing. He rubs off on me sometimes ;)

Xan and Anakin are cute together! [face_love]

But it's sad about Obi :( he doesn't have that connection any longer.

Great chapter!

2. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Evil Palpy! :mad: How he keeps emphasizing "master" to get Anakin mad. Like how Xan handled it though. Maybe with him and Obi around, Anakin won't be drawn to Palps as much. I loved where Xan told Anakin how he doesn't have to call him Master unless he's comfortable, and Anakin said he wanted to anyway. :D

Poor Obi, he keeps getting reminded of what he's lost. :(

3. sethsky

sethsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    xanatos seems a much better choice of master for anakin then obiwan, because he's fameliar with the dark side. I wonder how this anakin is going to turn out in 10y(AOTC).

seeya

4. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Stargazer-19

Yes, Palpy is not going to forget.

But I loved the interaction between Xanatos and Anakin, I get the feeling that things are going to be... interesting between them Oh, I think it will be interesting.

dianethx

Loved the way Palpatine was emphasizing Master and stirring up dark thoughts in Anakin so quickly. That was a good ploy ... They will be a good match for each other.

I hope that Xanatos will understand the struggles Anakin will face. I also hope he keeps a close eye on Palpatine. And yes, I think Obi-Wan is having a hard time watching Xanatos and Anakin forge into being master and padawan.

VaderLVR

I think Obi-Wan needs a hug too.

jacen200015

Will Obi-Wan be more open with Anakin since he is not training him? I think there will be some pressure off of Obi-Wan and they will still be able to be close.

Kitara

Hurray for Xanman squashing Palpy like the bug he is! And my what a big, ugly bug. :p

obi_ew

Xan should have wiped the floor with him. He probably wanted to.

And yeah, it was a sad moment for Obi-Wan.

tangeled_sphere

I think Xanatos is in tune with him, but still has yet to realize what he is in for. But, I think he is very apt to stand up for whatever he thinks is in Anakin's best interest.

forever_jedi

Xanatos seems so empathic - he sensed Obi-Wan's sadness and recovery immediately.

I suppose I see Xanatos as a little more willing to allow himself to go with his emotions so I think he would be more empathetic.

Kynstar

Hehehe gotta love Palps here in this He is fun to write.

Jedi_Tigris

I loved where Xan told Anakin how he doesn't have to call him Master unless he's comfortable, and Anakin said he wanted to anyway. Thanks. I've always thought that might be hard for Anakin to accept.

sethsky

I wonder how this anakin is going to turn out in 10y(AOTC. We'll get to that.

Chapter 5

?I still don?t believe you said that.? Obi-Wan shook his head as he walked at Xanatos?s side.

?I was very polite. Believe me, I could have said far worse.?

?He?s the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, Xanatos.?

?Ah, but he is just a man.? Xanatos lifted a hand to hold off any protest. ?A man with power granted, but still just a man. He should not have upset Anakin or questioned my motives, unless he has decided Jedi matters now fall under his jurisdiction. I think even the Council would protest that.?

?You do know he spoke with Master Yoda and Master Windu about your appalling behavior.?

Xanatos stopped abruptly, whirling around. Obi-Wan could see his jaw clenched tightly. ?If the Council wishes to speak to me, I don?t want them using you as a go-between. I watched you wedged between Master Qui-Gon and the Council far too long. It stops now.?

?They mean well Xanatos.?

?It?s not fair to you.?

They continued on in silence finally arriving at the door to their destination. Xanatos placed a comforting hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder.

?I still can take care of this, if you would like.?

A slight smile stretched across pale lips. ?Thanks. But, I want to do this. I need to do this.?

Xanatos sighed heavily. ?I feel like Anakin and I are booting you out of your home.?

?This change was coming soon. I've been preparing myself to have to move out on my own for a little while now.?

Obi-Wan opened the door and stepped in ? the first time back to his quarters since leaving for Naboo, the first time coming home without Qui-Gon. He stopped, frozen for a moment.

?Remember ? take your time. We have as long as we need.?

The common area of the quarters was plainly furnished with minimal personal effects. There wasn?t much to sort or pack.

?You just can keep what is in the kitchen cupboards. It isn?t well stocked anyhow.?

?I know.? Xanatos smirked. ?What about the bookcase??

Obi-Wan ran his fingers across the bin

5. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Awww :( reflections of the past can always bring cheer, sadness, and regrets sometiems. Loved this chapter!

Great work!! Poor Obi and Xan :( They should take Anakin to the planet! [face_laugh]

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Lovely post. :) You did an amazing job handling both of their emotions during a difficult time. Especially loved the glimpse of the three of them together. And it would be nice to see them take Anakin there at some point.

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautifully done! =D= I'd say more but I'm hungry and I'm about to go raid the kitchen! [face_shhh]

8. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Awwwwwww, wow that was so sad. So beautiful, written and emotions. Just beautiful can't wait for more.

9. Stargazer-19

Stargazer-19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2004
    *Sniffle* Very sad. Though the memories of Qui-Gon and the boys were nice. It sounds like both Xanatos and Obi-Wan were a bit of a handfull...okay, maybe Xan was more than a handfull. [face_mischief]

Great chapter. I can't wait for the next post.

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It reminds me of when I had to clean out Dad's things... But like them, it did bring the occaisional smile of happy memories. Great- and very realistic- post :)

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    So sad. I liked that Xanatos was telling Obi-Wan that it wasn't fair that he be put in the middle between Xan and the Council. And then the memories were bittersweet.

Good job.

12. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awwww, that was so sad. :( Very beautiful! I can just imagine them reminicing while going through those holos, with both happy and sad memories.

They should take Anakin to that planet. :D

13. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Kynstar - Memories can provoke all sorts of emotion. Perhaps they will take Anakin.

obi-ew - Thanks. I am enjoying the snapshot effect of the flashbacks. I really had fun with that scene and felt it would be something they would do together, without Anakin.

VaderLVR - Get something for me while you're at it. :p

Ob-wan-shawa - Thanks so much.

Stargazer-19 - I am enjoying giving a bit of back story. And there is a reason Qui-Gon was going gray. ;)

Kitara - I'm glad you found it realistic. I didn't want to overdo it.

diane - We all know the Council liked to put Obi-Wan in the middle.

Jedi_Tigris - Memories are good.

Chapter 6

The boy?s slender frame moved nimbly, parrying swift strong blows. But it was obvious he was on the defensive, scrambling to stay even a fraction of a second ahead of his calm, focused opponent. It was expected. He was a fourteen year old padawan and his adversary was a Jedi Master.

The Master pushed his offensive again and the youth was soon cornered and weaponless with a gleaming emerald blade at his throat. The boy lowered his head, visibly dismayed with his apparent failure. A loud chuckle came from the door to the training room.

?Don?t take it so hard, Obi-Wan. He is one of the best swordsmen in the Order after all. He has height and reach, but you will learn to use your size to your advantage as well.?

?I?d like to see you try Xanatos.? Obi-Wan scowled.

?Sorry, I already paid my dues ? padawan.?

A puzzled expression crossed the youth?s face. ?Why have I never seen you and Master Qui-Gon spar? It would be a good learning experience for me. You know, to see how someone else he trained fights.?

Xanatos and Qui-Gon looked at each other, their gazes reflecting their mutual apprehension and doubt.

?It would be good for him,? Qui-Gon mused. His voice lacked conviction, almost as though he were waiting, hoping for Xanatos to negate the idea. Neither had raised a saber against each other, even for practice, since Telos. His eyes widened slightly as Xanatos spoke.

?Okay.?

Xanatos shrugged off his robe, doubling it over on a nearby bench and pulled off layers of tunics before finally slipping off his boots. He powered the settings on his weapon down as he walked out to face Qui-Gon on the mat.

Qui-Gon circled his former apprentice, unable to shake the sense that this was a mistake. He didn?t have much time to contemplate the thought as Xanatos sprung at him, his blue bladed saber cutting an arc through the air.

Qui-Gon parried the powerful blow, feeling strain course through his arms. The tall, lean frame he remembered had filled out with well toned muscle making Xanatos strong. He was aggressive in his style, but a measure of control had replaced the frenzied recklessness that had betrayed him in his youth. The Jedi master quickly realized his former student had become a formidable opponent.

But both combatants found it hard to stay in the moment. Each strike of the clashing sabers unlocked memories both had tried to bury far away. Xanatos brought his saber down hard - Crion?s bloodied, lifeless body slid off the end of Qui-Gon?s saber. Qui-Gon met the blow with an upward parry - Rage, accusations, a half-circle pattern burned into pale skin, and a braid of ebony fell to the floor. Xanatos?s blade slashed sideways - Qui-Gon watched in shocked horror as Xanatos ignited his blade and assumed an opening stance. Qui-Gon countered the strike and the sabers interlocked, spitting and hissing - Venomous words were spat out in hate. Xanatos pushed the Jedi master away to make distance.

The fight continued as Qui-Gon launched his own offensive, backing Xanatos away with a strong onslaught of blows. As sabers locked once again, Xanatos?s eyes betrayed him, revealing the pain hidden within. This definitely had been a mistake. The momentary distraction cost Qui-Gon and his weapon was ripped from his grip as he tripped backwards w

14. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhh sweet! Xan gonna rescue Shmi? [face_dancing]

Yep a lot to talk about!

Loved the reminiscing there :( Poor Qui and Xan both.

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Hooray! I must say that whenever I click on something you've written, I KNOW I'll be reading something that is well thought out and well executed. A pure pleasure! And the English teacher in me puts down her red pen and simply enjoys! =D=

16. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I like how Xan is researching (so to speak) his apprentice's background. Digging through the layers that make up Anakin Skywalker to find out what makes him tic and how he'll learn best what he needs to know to be a Jedi. Now, if Xan could only find a way to free Shmi. :)

I'm really enjoying this fic! Keep up the good work! :)

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    That is an interesting idea Xanatos had about going to talk to Shmi. The idea never crossed my mind. What better way to begin someone's training then to find out from the child's parents/guardians things that will be helpful in their child's traing. hmm. Its something i should have realized. *shrugs* It makes perfect sense.

18. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I missed the last update - bad f_j!

Really beautiful post (chapter 5) of Obi and Xan sorting through Qui-Gon's room - very realistic and bittersweet. It's a little sad for Obi-Wan that Anakin and Xan will live there now - but he seems to be prepared. Very nice and illuminating flashbacks about the caring and troubled Qui-Gon/Xanatos relationship. It sort of reminds me of the canon Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship. If Vader had chosen to come back from the dark side after RotS, I think his interaction with Obi Wan would be similar to the Qui-Gon/Xan one after he returns to the Temple.

It was very perceptive of Xanatos to see at once that the Council was again using Obi-Wan as a go-between. They have a particularly good time doing that, don't they, because Obi-Wan doesn't say no? [face_mischief]

Xan has gone to meet Shmi. Will he free her and bring her to Coruscant? Will she be happy? What of her life with the Larses, where she seemed to have found love, family and happiness?

19. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    You handled that wonderfully. :) Look forward to more as always.

20. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    She dosn't know uch. Thats gonna be intresting. Can't wait for next update.

21. Stargazer-19

Stargazer-19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2004
    Way to go Xan!

It looks like Xan has the right idea. It's going to be interesting to see how Xan's decision affects the future.

Great Chapter.

Sorry I can't leave a longer review. I have to go to a recital. :D

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Good idea Xan!

23. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Ch 5

Beautiful, beautiful writing Noi!

Only when we?re together,? Qui-Gon said wearily.

?Welcome to the family,? Xanatos tagged on to the end as he ruffled dampened ginger locks.
    [face_love]

Love the welts on Xani ;) I shouldn't enjoy his pain, that was so cute! I am so enjoying these flashbacks with Xan and Qui [face_love]

The reminiscing is so sad and beautiful. I just love these two together. I have to get ready for work but I can't wait to read the next chapter.

24. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Kynstar

Xan gonna rescue Shmi? Unfortunately, it's just not that simple.

I know I'm putting Qui and Xan through the wringer, but it's hard to bounce back from what happened there on Telos.

VaderLVR

Oh gosh, what a nice thing to say. [face_blush] Thanks.

bek

I am running off the assumption that Xan would not act like a Jedi in this instance - he would research this probably just as if her were tackling an undercover mission. And yes, Shmi will be on his mind.

jacen200015

It makes perfect sense.

It does now that I think about it, but didn't occur to me until I sat down and started to think about things Xanatos would do differently.

forever_jedi

If Vader had chosen to come back from the dark side after RotS, I think his interaction with Obi Wan would be similar to the Qui-Gon/Xan one after he returns to the Temple.

Yeah, can you imagine those two trying to spar after that? I assume there would be probably more baggage in that instance.

Xan has gone to meet Shmi. Will he free her and bring her to Coruscant? Will she be happy? What of her life with the Larses, where she seemed to have found love, family and happiness?

All questions that will be answered.

obi_ew

Thanks!

Ob-wan-shawa

Yes she doesn't know much and unfortunately there are still things he will not be able to tell her.

Stargazer-19

It's going to be interesting to see how Xan's decision affects the future.

He's got the right idea, but Anakin is still Anakin and Xan is definitely Xan so I think there are rocky times ahead.

Kitara

Yep. :D

tangled_sphere

I am so enjoying these flashbacks with Xan and Qui. See I promised more flashbacks. It is fun to write the path to reconcilliation.

Okay, a little earlier than I had planned. I know I am going to be busy when I usually post on Thursday mornings.

Chapter 7

A dim glow lit the white-washed adobe walls of the small slave house. Xanatos looked across the kitchen table at Shmi Skywalker, a quiet woman worn from a harsh, unforgiving life of slavery that somehow managed to radiate a peace that would rival that of some Jedi masters. Under her serene gaze, he knew he was being weighed as to whether or not he was suitable to be the one to raise her son, and he accepted it. He expected nothing less.

?You said we have much to discuss?? she said softly, lifting a mug to her lips to take a sip of tea. ?Perhaps we should start with Master Jinn.?

?I?m afraid he is no longer alive.? Xanatos paused for a moment drawing hands more tightly around his own mug of tea. He didn?t expect the words to be so hard to say. ?He died protecting the young woman you met ? the Queen of Naboo.?

Shmi dropped her eyes, watching the steam seep from her mug in small, circling wisps. He had sat across from her not that long ago at this same table and she remembered her son?s simple, but confident assertion.

?No one can kill a Jedi.?

The master?s reply had been sad, his gaze dark and distant.

?I wish that were so ??

Perhaps he had been speaking of a personal loss in his past. She had wondered. And now it seemed that once again the cruel reality of life had shattered yet another of her son?s innocent ideas.

?So the Jedi assigned Anakin to you.? It was phrased as an assumption, but obviously a question.

?Not exactly,? Xanatos said. He tried to decide the simplest way to explain all that had happened since his master?s death. ?I was Master Jinn?s apprentice at one time. His last request was for me to train Anakin and the Jedi Council has given me permission to honor that request.?

?I am sorry for your loss.? She sat the tea down on the table in front of her. ?May I ask why he chose you??

Xanatos smiled. She was asking questions he was still discovering the answers to himself. ?I think because Anakin and I have much in common. I don?t know how much my mentor told you a

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really liked the whole conversation with Shmi. Xan didn't give her any false hope and he was wise not to involve Palpatine since I;m sure old Palpy would use the information to his advantage. I liked that he knows that Anakin liked to fix things and that it calms him down. It will make things easier for them both.

Loved that Qui-Gon showed up! Great job with this. Love the flow of the story so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.