main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A slaves worth?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by nugget_130, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nugget_130

nugget_130 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    The one thread I saw close to this was locked. I am wondering, when Qui-Gon wants to gamble the Pod for Anakin and his Mother Watto said no Pod is worth 2 slaves but says he will wager one of them. Obviously he would have rather of wagered Shmi than Ani. Now that Ani wins the race they get to keep the Pod and sell it. Why not trade the pod for Shmi now, or sell the pod and buy Shmi from Watto?

2. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "I tried freeing your mother Ani, but Watto wouldn't have it"

- O_F

3. nugget_130

Jan 26, 2005
    Yeah I guess that is the "Star Wars" way to explain it. I took it more as him talking about his first attempt to gamble for both of them?
    I am not trying to badmouth the movie cause I loved it, just curious and bored.

4. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    I agree. Since WAtto is now broke, the money they made selling the podracer should have been enough to buy Schmi's freedom. I always thought Qui-Gon did not try hard enough because Jedi must be separated from their family.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The money from the Pod, isn't enough. Qui-gon clearly states that in the book.

6. nugget_130

Jan 26, 2005
    Well the pod itself was obviously worth it if Watto is willing to wager Ani for it?

7. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    The pod is worth one of Watto's slave, it wouldn't be worth his last and only slave. Qui-Gon got Ani, but I doubt he'd have been willing to part with Shmi as well since she was the only slave he had left.

8. nugget_130

Jan 26, 2005
    Good point! I didn't know he only had two slaves.

9. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Well, I'm assuming, since I only saw two slaves. I guess more could've been around but he wasn't that big a dealer and I imagine slaves are still rather expensive. He won Anakin and Shmi, after all, rather than buying them.

10. nugget_130

Jan 26, 2005
    Makes sence. Thanks!

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    He may have lost everything, but he's not quite at the point where he's desperate enough to sell a slave. That doesn't seem to come around until at some point between TPM and AOTC. Slaves are expensive, especially a woman like Shmi who's in fairly fit condition. It might be a greater loss at that point for him to lose more help and have to handle everything himself. Additionally, we can see how much losing Anakin must have hurt him, both in how much he lost in futurs bets and the boy's mechanical genius and know-how, so he might have been feeling stubborn and belligerent about it, and by refusing to sell her, tried to save some of his dignity. (And Qui Gon seems to know human nature well enough to know this, so I would think he would avoid the topic at hand. Especially after we see how Watto tried to go back on his word about Anakin, as it is.)

12. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Didn't Watto sell Shmi in AOTC though? I would think that a winning pod would be worth more than what a moisture farmer could pay. But then again, I have no idea how much money is made being a moisture farmer.

13. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    It was not worth enough...but in the long run having shimi as a slave is worth more...watto prolly knew this as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.