main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH A Slightly Different Jedi Code

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TravisTheGeek, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TravisTheGeek

TravisTheGeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    I just thought this was pretty funny. (Source: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/news/editorial/14693976.htm)

'Da Vinci Code' steals from 'Star Wars'

Upon seeing "The Da Vinci Code" this weekend, I can finally empathize with all the protesters I saw in front of the theater. My objection to the movie isn't rooted in religious beliefs or even moral disagreements, but rather the disrespectful mockery of the world's oldest and most famous story. "Star Wars" is both a literary and cinematic treasure, and Dan Brown's recent atrocity is nothing more than blatant plagiarism of Lucas' timeless creation.

The likeness goes far past incidental similarities and can be more aptly described as a rip-off. For starters, look at the characters. "The Da Vinci Code" features a faceless antagonist referred to as "teacher," much like the part of the emperor in "Star Wars." This "teacher" controls the actions of the Bishop Aringarosa (Darth Vader) as well as Silas (Darth Maul); both of which are sith-like pawns in his ultimate plan to find the Holy Grail.

The Knights Templar are unmistakably the knighted force of the Jedi, fighting alongside the Priory of Sion, or rebellion as the case may be. While the movie omitted the return of Sophie's brother, the book features it as the two being raised separately after their parent's death to ensure their safety. It's almost too easy for me to draw this painfully obvious line from that to the Luke and Leia situation. Hanks' character, Langdon, was only missing the Wookie Chewbacca by his side.

I only wish the comparisons ended there, but they spread far past similar characters. The church's order to terminate the Knights Templar is the emperor's "order 66" for the clone armies to eliminate all Jedi. A few survived to protect, raise and teach the last scion, just as Obi-Won and Master Yoda did. Not to mention my favorite scene where Langdon rescues Sophie from the Death Star. Either way, I can hardly wait for the sequels. I'm sure "Da Vinci Strikes Back," and "Return of the Code" are going to be huge hits.

Any movie worth seeing must in some way take from "Star Wars," and fiction is fiction no matter what the subject matter.

May The Force be with you.

SCOTT HARTMAN
    Fort Wayne

I especially enjoyed the bit this guy said about the Knight's Templar. I'm currently petitioning to become a Freemason, so I've been reading up on the Templar a lot lately. I must have missed the part about how the actual, historical event that happened in 1307 (The fall of the Templar) was in fact ripping off a movie released 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.