main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    There were hints all along that Robb was going to die like that in the books. From Catelyn's multiple warnings about crossing Walder Frey, to reminders about breaking oaths, to even a childhood game called The Lord of the Crossing in the books. There were even hints about Roose Bolton, given certain interactions with him and Arya in Harrenhal (changed to Tywin in the show) and the earlier reveal of Ramsay's viciousness (He kills Rodrik Cassel and takes Winterfell from Theon)

There's little evidence of a heel turn from Dany. Any ruthlessness has been confined to her enemies (the crucified slavers had crucified children earlier) and she has notably spared innocents in Mereen. So it'll take a lot from GRRM to make me convinced that she'll burn KL on purpose. And D&D didn't do that at all.

Miriedis, tom, blackmyron and 3 others like this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    It’s going to happen, and the seeds are already there.

But no, her turn was accelerated at a whirlwind pace on the show that is often difficult to comprehend.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Gamma626 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    In the books I would think Tyrion more capable of mass murder of innocent civilians. He has the wealth and cunning to conceivably gain a lot of power again. He hated the people of King's Landing for how they felt about him even though he was doing stuff like demolishing people's homes. Of course he gains a bit more understanding of common people in DwD, but his anger and cruelty are still there.

Bacon164 likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    For such a major plot point, I don't think the books will be different.

The execution of this episode was great.

The idea was horrible, but it will probably be true in the books too. Daenerys has begun having hallucinations. She flies off on Drogon, leaving Meereen behind. She watches her brother's death without empathy. She burns the witch alive. She betrays the owner of the Unsullied and sacks the city. She crucifies random masters in Meereen, and randomly chooses more to feed to her dragons.
    And in the show, she's already had to be talked out of burning down her enemies by Tyrion, nevermind what happened with the Khals.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think she watches her brother's death without empathy because she was a victim of his abuse. She later often mourns what she feels her brother once had been, even naming a dragon after him. I don't think the rest are at all examples of "madness"-- her hatred of slavery, her desire for revenge against a woman whom she felt had murdered her husband, the realities of what conquest entails.

And dreams and visions in the books are not hallucinations.

yankee8255, tom, Mia Mesharad and 3 others like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, she hasn't fully "fallen," but she's clearly on that path (as are other characters, like Arya).

I think the end for Jaime and Cersei was perfect. They were bad people, but still humans, still sympathetic. Jaime had his arms around her as the life left her body... just not in the way anyone expected. (And that prophecy was never in the show anyways). GRRM wants to show that revenge is not the answer... to want to see Cersei murdered, especially strangled by her own brother, is our own worst impulses, the ones Daenerys gave into. Theon had the redemption arc. Jaime was just a character study, he's still the same person, he never changed at his core.

The episode was beautifully tragic.

solojones, severian28 and Bacon164 like this.
  7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't see Arya as going "mad." I see her reacting to her trauma at a very young age with violent fantasies and aspects of what we would call psychopathy. Anyway I don't think she'll become a cool assassin ninja who gets to go after major people on her kill list.

yankee8255 likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm saying Daenerys hasn't "fallen" yet in the books, but she's on the path. Just as Arya hasn't completely fallen yet in the books, but she's on the path. In the show, when Arya comes to the crossroads, she chooses life over revenge. In the show, when Daenerys comes to the crossroads, she chooses revenge over life.

severian28 likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There's a difference between being unhappy about a story event and being unhappy with how it is written.

Ulicus , Miriedis, tom and 5 others like this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought this episode was written very well, much better than the previous episodes.

severian28 and Bacon164 like this.
  11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Well I hope the books have better progression, even if the story ends in the same way

12. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I agree with this take on the episode and the overall story the most out of all things I've read so far this morning. If you're mad that Dany makes that choice, that's what's supposed to happen - you're supposed to get angry, disappointed, and horrified at her decision - as all but her most fervent supporters do on the ground when it all breaks out. If you found yourself crying for Cersei that's what's supposed to happen too. The Starks weren't getting the poignant heartfelt family moment in the end, they never were. Definitely the screen writing took a dive when the TV show diverged from the books, but I don't think Dany going mad is D&D, it's the real story.

Ghost and Bacon164 like this.
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's not like the show hasn't completely mischaracterized characters from the book (*cough* Stannis, Littlefinger) before.
    And There's too many other important plots- the other heir, Dorne, Lady Stoneheart etc. that the series left out.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    While I don't give the rumor much credence - the only source is one of the former actors from the show - I noticed today that the story that GRRM has finished the final books and is waiting for the final episode to air to announce this, is making the rounds online today, for some reason.

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    There is still hope.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Like I said before, it's been fan[masturbation] for years. "He's going to announce Winds this year after the finale!" Since at least season 5. I think the actor is just parroting that nonsense. I would be happy to be proven wrong of course, but both books being finished is far too outlandish.

Bacon164 likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't the first major hint about the Red Wedding, a vision of Dany's in the House of the Undying?

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    honestly, if what we're getting in the show is at least the broad strokes of how the books end (and i think that's probably likely), i don't see any way grrm can get us from where adwd left off to there in two books, at least without it coming off as just as rushed as the show. if the pacing is to stay at least somewhat similar to the other books, it would take at least three books to get us there and probably more. especially with all the extra plot threads that don't even exist in the show. it's no doubt part of george's conundrum when he sits down to write, and also goes back to why he wanted to write in the 5 year gap in the first place.

yankee8255 likes this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Yeah there is no way both books are finished. I would absolutely love for WoW to be done, though.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would say it’s plausible that TWOW is done and being held back. But not both books.

I would love to be wrong. But my wishful thinking has its limits.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, I know. I was more interested in that it suddenly was making the rounds among newspapers and online blogs today. For all the 'lol GRRM will die no books for you', I'm a big enough Tolkien aficionado to understand that not having a 'finished book' doesn't mean you don't get the story in the end.

From articles today, however, I do love this article, especially after the truly absurd rumors about GRRM 'destroying all his notes'.

22. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    There was a story making the rounds today that the actor who played Barristan Selmy said at a convention in Russia last month that both TWOW and ADOS were finished and GRRM had a deal with HBO to hold them back. GRRM rather emphatically denied that a little while ago in a blog post, saying TWOW is not finished and ADOS not started.

Amazing.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  25. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Of course, denying it is exactly what he'd do if he HAD signed a deal with HBO to hold them back!

There, conspiracy theory restored.

Amazing.

KSennia, dp4m and solojones like this.