main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I would be extremely delighted if that happened. I think it's the last book we'll get from him... but maybe if he writes enough of an outline for A Dream of Spring, they'll get someone else to finish it at some point. In like ten years.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Foresight is 2020. :p

@solojones ten years may be a charitable estimate. ;)

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Speaking of random people's encounters with GRRM, I almost literally ran into him one time. My writers' room was temporarily at SoHo House LA (a really fancy members only place). GRRM was in the room next door to us doing an interview, and I passed him in the hallway but didn't say anything because I didn't want to bother him.

When we all got into the writers' room, all the other writers were like, "OMG it's GRRM I want to say hi but I don't want to bother him here". It was funny, a bunch of professional creative writers all fanboying out.

KSennia, tom, SithSense and 1 other person like this.
  4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If he gets TWOW out by the end of this year/early next year, I think he could finish with ADOS by 2024. He’s talked about how difficult TWOW has been for him to write, likening it to 12 separate novels that all have to end up in the same place, and he’s picking up on threads from both AFFC and ADWD. I think once he starts shrinking the story and tying disparate threads together, the writing might get easier for him. I think. I hope.

PCCViking likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Regarding the main checkmarks the show got, I think we can list off

Dany being slain by Jon
    Jon being condemned into exile
    Bran being King
    Tyrion(and by extension House Lannister) surviving and having a role in the new political order
    Arya departing one day
    Sansa being ruler(if not necessarily Queen in da norf)

Regarding Bran, I am absolutely convinced he will be king or otherwise ruler in the books. The title Bran the Broken is from the books, among other evidence such as D&D's utter hostility to the magical aspects of the show, and the fact they may have wanted to kill him off. If it had been their choice, it would have been anyone but Bran ruling. It was clearly something they had to do as it came from Martin. The show did an awful job of building up to his, but Bran could see the future, he saw Drogon over KL, and he asked that infamous rhetorical question "why do you think I came all this way?", this tells me Bran will become very much a Bloodraven magical schemer(coincidentally his mentor is Brynden Rivers).

Jon was never going to be the Aragorn figure, Jon I think is more the Frodo figure. And Dany was always doomed to become the last villain as it were.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Have we really started falling into this delusion again? Guys, come on. Please don't do this to yourselves. Didn't the finale of that television show crush enough dreams for you?

This series is already finished. Dance of Dragons is the last book.

yankee8255 likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So...I was just thinking

The Lannister’s are the villains of the series more sympathetic portrayals of AFFC aside, and that makes me wonder how they will be portrayed in Winds.

We have never seen the westerlands in the narrative, we have heard things about it, but have never seen Casterly rock or the the west via the character’s eyes and not flashbacks or third hand sort of information.

As an admitted Lannister fan, the westerlands have always held my interest, and thus I have been disappointed with how little we know about them.

My concern, is that thematically for the Lannister’s to remain villains in the eyes of the readers, we will never get a good look at the people, politics and places of the west.

The north, Riverlands and vale all have good reasons to hate the Lannister’s, the targaryens do as well.

But if we ask Joe peasant on Lord Crakehall’s lands, or a merchant of Lannisport-what they think of House Lannister, they’d probably tell you they are good overlords. And while the lords and people of the west did not love Tywin-they respected him.

This ties into the north remembers plot and the BWB-the Starks are good so people remember them fondly, the Lannister’s are bad, so everyone has the knives out for them...outside the westerlands that is.

My concern is that Martin will both for the structure of the narrative and for thematic reasons avoid delving too much into the west-because the Lannister’s have to be villains thematically for the readers, but IU they are only villains for those outside the west.

To show what lady brax or Jane peasant at Silverhill thinks would undermine the implicit message that we are supposed to root(as readers) for the Lannister’s downfall.

TLDR: I’m afraid Martin won’t explore the west because that would undermine the portrayal of the Lannister’s as villains.

Just a quick reflection.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So any thoughts on this?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not clear if wildfire is "magic" AFAIK. GRRM based it on Greek fire, which was a real thing and its manufacture was proprietary knowledge similar to how only the pyromancers seem to know how to make wildfire. It's like napalm and not explosive in the books.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    dp4m likes this.
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I would actually not be terribly surprised if Martin didn’t lay out any hard rules on magic given that he’s heavily influenced by Tolkien (who also didn’t really systematize in that way, to my knowledge) and started the series in an era where the then-current big fantasy blockbuster, Wheel of Time, was really specific on the rules, and he was definitely up enough on the current state of the genre to want to differentiate himself.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He's described magic as just another force of nature people in his medieval setting fail to grasp just as they don't know much about gravity or their own biology. Since he always writes from an in-universe POV he doesn't have to come up with a fixed set of rules. The lazy bastard!

Ramza likes this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think it is overwhelmingly clear to everyone by this point that GRRM isn't actually intent on writing anything to further progress this universe so I would heavily doubt he elaborates any more rules or examples of magic.

yankee8255 likes this.
  14. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    People really still think he might finish the series? As someone who started it like 15+ years ago I'll believe it when I see it

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I think I need anger management — Martin tweeted thus morning that Fire&Blood is coming out in paperback and all I wanted to reply is „**** you, where the **** is Winds.“

I have issues. I can’t imagine what it’s like for people who started the books back in the 90s.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno about full-on anger management or anything, but I would say if you're gearing up to angrily message someone's Twitter PR person over a book it's maybe time to log off for a bit. :p

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    blackmyron likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Magic in ASOIAF as I understand it is basically a "pay for use" system.

To get something, you must give something.

Or as Mirri Maz Duur so eloquently put it, "only death can pay for life".

In essence, something must be sacrificed.

In general, I have always seen magic in ASOIAF as a "para" natural force of sorts, operating within the world, but also somehow beyond or "outside" it.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    yankee8255 likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    From the story....

“But I tell you this—if I don’t have The Winds Of Winter in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine.”

GRRM cooked up covid as a plot twist in order to avoid his own prophecy.

Ghost, Mar17swgirl, 3sm1r and 5 others like this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's so unlike Fandom to have a clickbait headline.

3sm1r likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Pfft, it was heavily foreshadowed by him setting a hard deadline.

yankee8255 likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m legitimately surprised that no conspiracy theory has picked up this thread and run with it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I’m happy to report that I had almost forgotten about the whole mess until I saw the article about the New Zealand deadline.

We got the ending with the show. It was a huge letdown. I‘m no longer sure Martin could have made it that much better. It is what it is. Take care Westeros, it was fun for a while, now the whole thing has become pathetic.

24. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Well, at least this year Martin has COVID as an excuse :p:p

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Martin has reported that he's hunkered down in a remote cabin and is spending his days devoted to just writing, for what that's worth.

Iron_lord likes this.