main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Know any Syd stores that got it? Wouldn't mind sampling it first.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've seen it in Dymocks. Also Galaxy is in Sydney.

3. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Borders.

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Surburb coordinates?

5. Lord_Riven

Nov 13, 2001
    Macquarie Shopping Center store and the City store (at Town Hall). But it does cost 65 AUD. (which is why I didn't get it). Now if it were 30 AUD like the fake sticker someone stuck on the book said, I would have snapped it up straight away.

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Thanks. Might have to do some window shopping.

7. Lord_Riven

Nov 13, 2001
    I went to Borders today at Mac, didn't see it there anymore...

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Is the Mac building that enormous skyscraper I was once in, whose floor to ceiling transparisteel gives your legs a good voltage of vertigo to stand near . . . and the street a klick below?

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No.

The closest building to being 1 click above land is Taipei 101 anyhoo :p

Macquarie Centre is in North Ryde.

E_S

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Haven't been to North Ryde, far as I know. Been up Centerpoint; Lancer Frigate length. Doesn't really feel so high. They have a Skywalk Tours. Supposedly a Star Wars fan, it took a while to realise the quip on Skywalker participants.

11. Paladin307

Paladin307 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I hate the Boltons and the Freys after the Red Wedding :(

12. Lord_Riven

Nov 13, 2001
    LOL, join almost everyone who's read the books.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Once I decoded Martin's pattern, I found it easy to foreshadow the events of Storm of Swords. I knew Robb was in serious peril, and not because Martin gives it away with that wolf thing howling outside the castle, and before. [face_laugh]

Frey stood out to me, but I couldn't anticipate Bolton, even if the last Jaime chapter of Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow, was the most carefully worded and best chapter of the series then. Pragmatic man; he's a survivor.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Dymocks had Feast for Crows on special, down from $30. I don't want a huge trade paperback but for just $8 why not? I'll sell it later for the paperback.

This is actually annoying. I put Traviss's Bloodlines on hold for Salvatore's Homeland, and now I have to put that aside for this. I want to read Bloodlines. 8-}

15. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2006
    I haven't been able to go anywhere without hearing about A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. But in all honesty, I've never been a big reader of fantasy. I don't know why, I just never was. But after reading Tad Williams brilliant OTHERLAND quadrilogy, which was science fiction but written very much like fantasy, I decided I had to give something in the genre a try. At first I was thinking about picking up something else by Tad Williams (that was safe, I thought, I know his writing style and already like it), but still, I could not go anywhere, and I mean anywhere without hearing about George R.R. Martin's epic series.

So a couple of weeks ago I came across A GAME OF THRONES at the used bookstore near me in perfect condition for just $2. Obviously, I snatched it up. But I'm a little unsure; Should a fantasy Newbie start out with something so big, and still unfinished?

I haven't started it yet, I'm still reading HYPERION by Dan Simmons and loving every page of it. But I was wondering if some fantasy veterans could give me a word of encouragement just in case.

Is there something else you might recommend I read before A GAME OF THRONES, as a sort of primer perhaps? Or should I just dive right in?

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Dive right in, for sure.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Read it now. The only possible downside is that other books may pale in comparison. :p

18. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i havent read much fantasy lately so i forgot the difference in it and other genres. i just read GOT and it seemed to take forever to get thru not because it was boring but because there was just so much to it all. when i finished i thought i could stop but i keep going back to it so i guess i must trudge on thru ice and fire. i forgot that fantasy is like that. my advice for the newbie fantasy reader: realize that there is a lot of info to coagulate together. its not you. its the genre.

19. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I was the same way with Fire and Ice. I finally started #2 and a third of the way into it, they really start going Lord of the Flies on each other.

Its really sick and disturbing. I'm a feel like a sick person for wanting to know what happens next :)

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I going to have to read these books again. They are that good and I am fixing to run out of fresh material.

21. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    HBO picked up the novels for a series.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20253
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=18457

:)

22. Clonuscant

Clonuscant Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

23. JEDI-SOLO