main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor A stand-alone Yoda film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ManaByte, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I want to see Yoda meet the Whills.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I want to see Yoda in a Nicholas Sparks-inspired romance epic!

my kind of scum likes this.
  3. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Sure he's got a lot of years, trained a lot of Jedi. But none of his other students are going to be as interesting as students that we have already met. My real reason for shooting down the idea of a new movie is that it will sadly be all CGI. Wise Yoda would look like an idiot.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yoda? Great! God I hope there will be other characters, too.

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'd prefer it if they left Yoda alone. Let's maintain the mystery around his origins. Other than that we can fill in the blanks by guessing he was sat on the Jedi council during 600 years or so of peace. Not much action.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

I think I'm coming around to this position too. He's an interesting character, but we don't need to be shown everything about his past, just like we aren't told what his species is, what planet he's from, etc. Some mystery is good. I think that creepy pic of a young Yoda that Darth Chiznuk posted actually helped me realize I don't really want to see a movie about Yoda's past. :p

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I do my best to creep everyone out. ;)

eht13 likes this.
  8. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    A stand-alone Yoda film would put a lot of undo pressure on the cast and crew, as everyone always tries to make the best product possible, but with a Yoda film there is no try…they must make the best movie possible.

In short, they wouldn't be able to just slap some CGI together and entitle it Star Wars, it would have to be quality.

With that in mind, I would pay to see that film.

9. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    No Yoda standalone film. Bad idea all the way. Hope it never happens.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    I think a Yoda spin-off is unlikely, mostly because it's a bad idea. Also, Lucas has always said in interview that he never wrote a backstory for Yoda and prefers that he does not have one. He created Yoda to fulfill the mysterious wizard archetype and wants him to stay that way. If a Yoda origin story was proposed, I would imagine George Lucas would use whatever influence he carries through Kennedy to have it shut down.

At least I hope that would be the case. I really don't want a Yoda film to happen. It would be a huge mistake and likely ruin one of the most iconic characters of the saga. If they want to do a "beginnings of a master" story, just create a new character.

11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Yoda works best as a mysterious Jedi, take that away and you ruin the character slightly. Sure he isn't perfect but seeing him as a Palawan would kind of ruin the allure.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think a Yoda origin story would work at all but a stand alone action-adventure story with him as a primary character could possibly be okay. It's not my favorite idea but I would be intrigued by it at least.

13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    What's the point of even having a Yoda origin story in the first place? Why do we need one?

NoChesterHester likes this.
  14. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    There is no need for it. People are just curious about the backstory of one of the most iconic Star Wars characters. That being said, I personally feel that part of the character is the lack of backstory and the mystery surrounding the character, and an origin story would kill that.

Immortiss and InterestingLurker like this.
  15. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Yoda has always been a supporting role. Do we really want 130 minutes of focus purely on the little green guy?

Like others have posted, I prefer the mystery.

16. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I've been watching Dexter through 8 seasons, and like Yoda, Dexter is still mysterious. The Cylon remain mysterious through the 5 seasons of Battle Star Galatica. I want to Yoda fall in love and fall to the dark side temporarily, because when Yoda says that certain things lead to the dark side, I want that to be based from his own personal experiences with love and with the dark side.

17. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Very little is known about Yoda's past, which is surrounded by myth and legend. One such story tells that Yoda was trained in the ways of the Force by one Jedi Master N'Kata del Gormo, shown below:
    [​IMG]

I, too, am of the sentiment that they should probably leave Yoda's past shrouded in mystery, to preserve these legends and what not. However, a stand-alone Yoda film is feasible if it covers later periods of his life, perhaps a middle-aged Yoda going on adventures. Now, the film needn't focus entirely on him, but can have a more ensemble cast of characters to keep things fresh so that the audience won't tire of Yoda's backwards speak before too long. With a lifespan that long, I imagine that there are countless storytelling possibilities they can use to in a Yoda spinoff. It could actually be very interesting, if done right.

18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yoda trained on Barsoom?

Seriously, Yoda, hell yes, Yoda. I want to see him and his cheeky apprentice, Dooku.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I prefer to have Yoda remain mysterious. Not everything needs to be spelled out for the viewers, some unknowns should remain.