main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor A stand-alone Yoda film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ManaByte, Feb 4, 2013.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Iger's response about the existence of SW standalone films doesn't surprise me (and shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone, as they'd already expressed interest in doing them), but what does surprise me is when he mentions:

So in addition to the ST (which will be done in six years?), we're also going to have "a few other" Star Wars films within the upcoming years. Color me interested and confused, as it seems that's some major Star Wars overload. Iger goes on to state that Kasdan and Kinberg are working as writers on these standalone films. For Episode VII, they're simply serving as consultants.

I think we can consider that that Seven Samurai rumor has a good chance of being legit. Hopefully this rumor about a Yoda film is not though, lol.

Interesting times ahead of us indeed.

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    All comparable schedules seem to involve back to back shooting.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. GunganSlayer

Jan 24, 2013

I do agree with you, although keep in mind the later two "Pirates" films were filmed simultaneously, as were the "Back to the Future," and "Matrix" sequels (and of course "LOTR/Hobbit"). These comments could be an indication that some, if not all, of the ST will be filmed at the same time.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ever see the first episode of Clone Wars where Yoda lead the pack? I don't think you can lose with a Yoda film.

Air Jedi and Cad Carnage like this.
  5. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Worth mentioning that they haven't done a Yoda standalone episode since literally the first episode.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You're probably right. I just want these films to be as good as possible and it worries me that they would go against the Lucas schedule. But I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Thanks. Well... that's very ambiguously phrased there, Mr. Iger.

We already knew that there were going to be spinoff movies, because both Lucas and Iger said so in those videos posted after the takeover. And what does "films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga" mean? Are they about characters that don't appear in the movies?

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I think he is saying the films aren't an Episode film they aren't part of "The Skywalker Saga"

10. GunganSlayer

Jan 24, 2013
    While it may reference characters that don't appear in the movies, I think it's more likely that it involves minor, secondary characters, or, perhaps primary characters placed in a different setting or story that doesn't fit with the rest of the saga.

For example, that Yoda rumor. Yoda's got some 1,000 years of life that they can explore. Boba Fett. A Boba Fett adventure has been something many fans (including myself, and obviously Joe Johnston) have been wanting for some time. The "Seven Samurai" story. Perhaps a "young Jedi academy" story, revolving around padawans and their daily life and adventures at the academy (I'm almost certain that Disney will do something similar to this sooner or later, maybe in a cartoon TV format). An adventure story of a young slicer during the Rebellion. A film showing how the Death Star plans were stolen.

And, yes, even Darth Vader. With these standalone films, we could even get a film with Vader, say, hunting down Jedi during The Empire's reign between PT and OT. I wouldn't count that out either.

The ideas for stories are practically endless.

11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    That is definitely The Wording That Will Launch A Thousand Threads.

stormcloud8 and Count Yubnub like this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Yoda is a very marketable character, especially for kids. I would think any spin-off feature-length stuff may well be animated.

13. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    One thing I think was interesting was when Iger deferred to Lucasfilm to announce anything, I am hoping this is indicating they are going to be making these movies pretty independently. If they are made in the bay area and not Hollywood by Lucasfilm folks with George lurking around these things have a chance of being really good.

14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Hmmmmm, I'm not sure I would want an origin story, but seeing him keep the peace as a Jedi Master in the glory days of the Republic? Yes please!

DowClimber likes this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Mods: It might be a good idea to have a separate forum for the stand-alone spinoff movies.

16. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Mods, the time has come, execute spin off movie forum.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. The traffic on this forum could get quite congested otherwise.

18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    My thoughts exactly!

19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Sounds more interesting than a film about Boba IMO.

Lord Optimus likes this.
  20. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I would friggin' love a Yoda Movie. :) YES!

Lord Optimus likes this.
  21. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Why not a younger Yoda? You could see him in his heyday as the Jedi Master who kicks major ass. You saw him flipping around like a frog on crack in Ep 2 so maybe we see more of that in his own movie. There could be some Sith in it and Yoda has to fight them or something...

22. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Breaking first pic of the new Yoda Origins project:

[​IMG]

I'm very excited about the origin story, but I will be sad to see how Gizmo gets into that Chinaman's possession. Damn smokeless space ashtrays.

Echo-07, JainaSoloYJK and Frank T. like this.
  23. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Can't wait! "Star Wars: Yoda" It could show him very young, being trained as a Jedi. This has fantastic potential!

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I prefer the ambiguity surrounding the character, but at the same time a Yoda centered movie sounds interesting.

25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Hi DD!

Just curious, but you sound as though you're "in the know." Do you happen to work for one of the companies in question? (LFL/Disney)

If so, what else are you able to tell us without getting into trouble? :p

To those that feel Yoda is not worthy of a movie or movies I just want to clarify that I LOVE YODA! He is an awesome character. BUT at the same time I feel that part of what makes him awesome is the mystery surrouding him.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.