main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars CLOSED A Star Wars Story: Between Epitaphs

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Sinrebirth , Apr 2, 2019.

1. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Vydra Delomeux

"You are not the one. Thank you."

So it was a test….and it seems I have passed. Just barely.

Vydra internally breathed a sigh of relief. Outwardly though he showed no emotion, he was trying to keep his poker face on. It seemed that one of his theories was correct. The Master no doubt had revealed something to the Chistori, and it was his task to find out something. Perhaps it linked in with what he had found out as well.

The Chistori gave him a salute which Vydra mirrored himself as a sign of respect. It had been a rather lively debate in every sense of the word. They had both gotten their point across rather forcefully in fact and they had both discovered each other technique. At least it gave Vydra a chance to improve his skills with the blade even though he knew that his dueling skills were mediocre a best.

And then the Chistori did something rather surprising, he moved the blade and marked his right arm. Vydra wondered what the Chistori was doing, was this some kind of ritual? Was he marking himself as a mark of respect or that Vydra had successfully made a mark? He didn't know but it all seem so weird to him. He had read some weird things in his life but this was just surreal.

The Chistori then mimicked his Hawk stance but this time with one arm only whereas Vydra used both. It looked like the Chistori was either trying to make a point or decided to try out Vydra’s technique in an attacking manner.

"You saw the gaps, that is good. But you never exploited them. Why?"

Vydra was wondering that himself but he had resolved to defend until he needed to attack. He still felt the time wasn't right to attack no how much the Chistori goaded him into doing so. The attack came towards his left shoulder trying to catch him out, he moved his blade to try and block the first attack, he had to move slightly to try and block it. Another attack came towards his head which again he had to try and move quickly to block.

“Well I wanted to see how my technique worked against others, especially a very attacking style such as yours. Exploiting gaps is all well and good but there is a potential to open yourself up to attack. I wanted to see how others operate, how they use their own personalities in their own fighting styles and how they channel it through the blade. The best thing to do is to learn about the styles, learn the gaps and then when the time comes to exploit them, but only if you don’t get burned in the process”

Vydra’s mind was beginning to lose his focus a little especially whilst talking and fighting at the same time. But he knew that with improvement he could probably do both with ease. Although he was definitely into more talking than fighting. A lover, not a fighter you might say. Although he wanted to try and be a fighter perhaps it was not for him.

As he was trying to keep the block going, making sure his face was nowhere near the blade, he sensed a female presence enter the room. It seemed the dark haired lady was back from wherever she had been on her break.

“I apologize for interrupting, but we are to head to the hilltop at the Master’s request.” she said and he sensed her smiling “I hope you will fill me in along the way on what was being discussed so vigorously.”

Vydra had to be careful here, did he want to explain what was going on? It was only polite to answer the question. However he wondered whether the Master would want the lady to know what he had in mind? He had to tread carefully.

“I’d love to know,”

She really knows how to push buttons he thought.

This time he did try to shove the Chistori’s blade away, it was time to end this, especially if the Master was summoning them. He stepped back, bringing his blade up in salute keeping it lit for now just in case the Chistori tried a sneaky move.

“Just a little friendly debate about our views of the Force, noting more really, well apart from trying to batter each other with our Forcesabers of course” he gave her a slight smile “Watch this one, he’s quite a fighter.”

He turned to the Chistori “Perhaps we could spar again sometime, it would give you a good workout, not that by the looks of it that you need one” he said indicating the Chistori’s bare chest with a smirk.

“It was a pleasure having the debate and spar with you” he said meaning it. Despite all that was going on, perhaps he could enjoy himself a little bit. “The name is Vydra, Vydra Delomeux. And it is a pleasure to make both your acquaintances”

He nodded to the dark haired woman “As soon as my dueling partner here is ready, lead on”

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @Mitth_Fisto , @QueenSabe7

2. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Dunkeel
    Clock-Tower

As the dance wound down he nodded with a bob of his whole body, testing the blades resistance with that odd motion thrown in behind his blade. The thought of merely learning an opponents style and letting yourself be battered to learn it at face value seemed lunacy, or at least foolish, but then again. When one remembered that this was his equal and turned it on value of that merit, searching, hunting for a reason why it was not he finally spotted it. In sparring there was no true chance of death, just as he had exposed himself to see what the other would do, to test him, he had not thought of the fact that the other was testing him as well.

Both trying to learn and debate and plan, and all the time by holding back both were probably hindering the others learning. He felt her before he smelled her as he thought of how to reply, and then she spoke and there was no more a reason to. Vydra pushed out of the saber lock and it was obvious, they had someplace to be and this needed to end quickly. Working his shoulders he prepared to end it quickly in a fire storm of heavy blows when Vydra decided to salute and deactivate his saber. The two mammals exchanged words and he was left with a slightly gapping maw as he mechanically saluted in return. How could he? But they? It wasn't! Ah, chaos bones!

With a thought he focused the Force on healing his arm and pulled his clothes to himself as he put away Fang. "Next time, we shall not play with each other." He said as cupped a hand as though to bat the other and used the Force to tousle the young man's hair.

Turning to the woman he worked his shirt on, "Dunkeel." He simply stated as they seemed to be stating who they were now, as though they had never had a lesson together nor chance to smell deeply of one another. "Lead on. Through the kitchens?" he asked with a touch of mirth as they seemed to be avoiding talking of what they had talked. "Perhaps if you want we can duel you and talk of what we talked of? It is, very frustrating and satisfying way to marry talk and actions."

TAG: @QueenSabe7 , @Jerjerrod-Lennox , @Sinrebirth

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The following is a combo with Sinrebirth – thank you! ^:)^

IC: Dr. Joren Graal and The Master
    Hillside, Nouane

The Master nodded. “Ah yes.”

He’d called them to meet him here, overlooking the City. Central to it was the Grand Library, of course. The wind lightly flapped at the bottom of his black cloak, but it was of ill import. It was, however, a majestic view as the sun rose, reflecting off the golden fixtures of the buildings and the sea in the backdrop.

“Beautiful. I’m glad I made it up here again before.” He turned suddenly to then. “Oh, hi. Forgot about you for a second.”

Joren canted his head and raised his brow with careful regard. He stood quietly in the waning dawn, one hand resting casually against his belt as he enjoyed the brilliant sunrise alongside his Master from this expansive view. The wind that licked gently at his face and hair felt soothing and cool, a rejuvenating force that helped him to relax after a restless night.

In truth, he hadn’t slept much because his mind had instantly gone back to the lesson the Master had shared with them several weeks before. He was still trying to process everything he had witnessed; so many thoughts and possibilities continued to race through his brain with reckless abandon. He had hoped that speaking to the Master in isolation would help to alleviate some of his tension...but he was immediately met with the man’s eccentric behavior.

And yet, despite the curious manner in which he spoke and presented himself, Joren found that it held a certain kind of charm. A whimsical smile slowly began to spread over his features at the thought.

The Master chuckled softly, self-depreciatingly. He thrust his hand out, and from his voluminous sleeve a Holocron appeared, deposited into his glove; it was a pyramidal one, faintly glowing red. “Ta daaaa!”

Inhaling deeply, Joren straightened his posture and stared at the small object resting in the Master’s palm. A trace of a smirk still remained on his face as he considered the similarities and differences of this new Holocron to the one the old man had shared with his students earlier. What kind of knowledge did this one hold? Did its red hue and triangular shape denote a specific purpose?

What were its secrets?

Joren felt compelled to reach out and touch it, both physically and through the Force, but he restrained himself. He would allow the Master to provide an explanation before delving into things that he still did not fully understand.

“You seem to have an endless supply of those things,” he nodded to the red Holocron, a hint of levity evident in his tone. “I thought each person was only permitted to have one...unless I’m not clear on the rules.”

“One each, though if you knew how to make one you could of course make multiples. Say if you were hiding parts of a ritual or some such.” A shrug. “But this is your own Holocron of Prophecies.”

“Right.” The Master said, seemingly reminding himself to get on. He allowed them to take it, absently looking wistfully in the distance. “Remember, everything in here is going to happen. It’s preordained. It cannot be changed.”

The Master practically begged him to touch Holocron by calling it his own, and yet Joren hesitated before he could reach out and cup the small object in the palm of his hand, his brow creasing with a twinge of concern. While he had grown accustomed to the man’s cryptic explanations, something about this statement set him on edge. It had him questioning certain aspects about their mission as Protectors that he knew he probably had no right to question. But he also recognized that he could not simply accept this Holocron in good faith without at least addressing the issue.

Glancing up to peer into the Master’s darkened cowl, the Doctor hid this brief moment of vulnerability with a wry grin. “Forgive me, Master,” he began carefully, his tone remaining light as not to disrespect the older man. “But I find the idea of a predetermined future hard to accept, particularly when we consider freewill and our own existence as Protectors.”

As he spoke, Joren called upon the Force and gently raised the Holocron into the air, turning it slightly so that he could study its many intricacies. “How are we to carry out our duty if we cannot touch these realities and influence them appropriately?" He inhaled deeply and rocked back on his heels. "When you showed us that great expanse a few weeks ago...I could feel it. It was so close."

“What? Do you want to change it?” The Master began to walk away, before peering back, as if he was looking around Joren.

He casually passed the next tidbit in, as if lightly tossing a ball; underhand.

“You’ll have plenty of opportunities to do so when I leave you in charge as the new Master.”

Joren’s concentration momentarily lapsed, the Holocron wavering in the air before dropping solidly into the palm of his hand. The Force seemed to bristle at this proclamation, twisting and churning inside of him with reckless energy, beckoning him to accept this calling as his own...and yet, advising him to remain mindful and cautious. This conflict mirrored the one also raging in his own mind; his thoughts were in disarray as he tried to grasp the full extent of this revelation.

It was a heavy burden to bear. There was so much to consider; so much he could potentially lose.

But also so much to gain.

These turbulent emotions ultimately resolved themselves as an incredulous scoff that escaped from his lips. “I don’t know if…” the Doctor shook his head slowly, clearly struggling to find the right way to articulate his thoughts. It was certainly a rarity when something rendered him speechless.

“Look,” he began again, holding out his free hand to emphasize his point. “I have a wife at home and a child on the way...a family and job. I don’t know if…” He scoffed again, beginning to feel the seeds of doubt take hold of him. “Well, it becomes complicated. I need to be there for them. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me; for nurturing me and showing me this great gift. I want to help, I really do, but I don’t know if I’m the right choice to lead. I’m not…disciplined enough to carry on your legacy.”

“Well, I’ll be leaving you one day,” The Master placed his hand on your chest. “Don’t you trust me to make the right decision?”

He smiled, and softly, exuding his hopefulness. “Because you are so entrenched in reality that I need you to stand up.” He sounded serious. “When we lose track of the little person, we lose track of the bigger picture. But it’s so easy to focus on doing the greatest good, that the little people get exchanged for the rest of the people.” A heartbeat passed.

With a chuckle, he laughed. “Already arguing with the old Master now that you’re going to be in charge?”

“Uh, no...of course not,” Joren replied quickly, inwardly wincing at his own brashness. A sheepish grin flitted over his features as he averted his gaze, his free hand reaching back to rub at the nape of his neck in a gesture that underlined his nervous energy. He was clearly distracted, the Master’s commentary once more giving him pause and making him question so many aspects about himself and the world around him.

And yet…

The Doctor also recognized the honesty behind the old man’s words; they held a certain truth that he simply could not ignore. Even the Force remained adamant in this regard. It continued to nudge at his awareness and pull him in different directions, representing both sides of his internal struggle – the weight of his own responsibilities versus the divine calling of the Protectors.

But perhaps it wasn’t intended as a divide. Maybe he was interpreting it wrong, just as the Master himself seemed to allude to…

With a steadying breath, Joren turned and met the Master’s elusive gaze. “But you’re encouraging me to embrace this...all of it,” he surmised quietly, his left hand tightening marginally around the base of the Holocron. “To find a balance between both worlds – the practical and impractical – and make them…coexist. And then use that as a basis to lead?” He chuckled lightly at this notion; it was all so very ironic. He had searched tirelessly for an answer to this very complex question for nearly a year...and now he was confronting it head-on.

“I would have never thought that possible,” he continued in a more harmonious tone, his expression sobering. “I’ve always viewed it as a sort of paradox…” Again, Joren allowed himself a derisive snort as he hefted the Holocron in his grip. “Then again, I possess a tool that grants me a window into the future, so I suppose anything is possible.”

“It is a paradox, of course it is!” The Master clapped his hands together. “To live is to change, to be evolving. As such the Force and our interpretation of it needs to do. So we need to make the hard choices, but make sure they are tempered by the little ones.”

He was almost giddy, the Force pouring his unbridled happiness with Joren into the immediate area. He understood. Brilliant.

“Well, consider embracing that paradox part of your Truth too.” He paused. “Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. We’ve met here,” he said, gesturing to the hill above the City, the Clock-Tower in the distance, “so I can give you your Truth. Yours is the only Truth that is going to be known from the get-go. The others, well, their Truths revealed themselves to them, and who am I to tell you their Truth?” His hands swept outwards. “Imagine how rude that would be?”

The Doctor inclined his chin and lifted his brow perceptively as he contemplated the Master’s latest revelation. He found himself naturally curious about these mysterious...Truths, particularly the way the old man seemed to bring attention to the others and what they had ultimately discovered by studying their own. He phrased it almost like a challenge, or perhaps to incite envy. But why encourage such negative emotions? The Master must surely understand that it was only human to want to know more when presented with such an enticing piece of information.

Or maybe it was a test, yet another lesson to assist Joren on his journey toward acceptance. As a leader, he would need to practice restraint and define himself through sound judgement...and resist temptations.

With a thin smile, Joren took a defining step toward his Master. “What are these Truths?” he asked carefully, his tone receptive, but still riddled with a hint of doubt. “I have a feeling you’re not going to simply tell me.” He chuckled lightly. “Nothing has ever been that easy.”

He canted his head and gave the old man a knowing glance. “You’re going to make me work for it, aren’t you?” A mischievous glint reflected in his blue eyes as he nodded to the Holocron in his palm.

The Master laughed. “Your Truth is to Lead - to take the necessary strides to unravel the paradoxes of the Force and living... the Unifying and Living Force, if you would.” He indicated the Forcesaber. “Your crystal told me as much, for it is pure, and striking, the colour of someone who cuts through to the heart of a problem and solves it.”

“Their Truths,” he gestured vaguely towards the clock-temple. “They’ll need to decide whether to trust you, after all. It’s theirs, after all.”

“Now, I’m placing emphasis on that you need to lead. You need to be strong, and make the hard choices. Can I rely upon you to do that?” He folded his arms, and then lifted one arm out so he could roll his wrist, fingers flittering.

“If you want to change the things in the Holocron, you’re welcome to try.”

The Doctor winced, inwardly chiding himself for not seeing the truth sooner. Or rather, not accepting the truth when the Master had initially revealed it to him. He had grown so accustomed to the old man’s riddles and having to decipher his words, that he had only assumed there was something more. But in this case, Joren had made things far more complicated than necessary; the Master had finally spoken in the literal sense, and the Doctor had failed to see the obvious.

That thought brought a wry grin to his lips as he shook his head lightly. “You certainly called my bluff on this one,” he surmised evenly, quirking a brow at the Master before his expression turned serious once more. “But you have my word – I’ll do my best to uphold your traditions. I spent nearly a decade teaching college-age kids how to appreciate religion and ethics, so I figure I already have a head start." His smile widened at his attempt at levity.

“But the real test lies within,” he continued, raising the Holorcon to eye-level, “as you suggested. All things are connected, our actions, our thoughts...our fate. I still believe we have the power to choose our own path. Nothing is set in stone.” Joren inclined his head, studying the Master with determination. “If I have the opportunity to change an unfavorable outcome and correct certain wrongs, then yes, I would like to try. At the very least, it would give me a glimpse so that I can prepare…”

Without waiting for the old man to confirm or deny his proposal, Joren closed his eyes and stretched out with his feelings, opening himself to the Force and the many facets that connected him to the ancient object resting in his grip.

As Joren was the last to receive his Holocron, the Master allowed him to access the first summary. Every era was summarised and then delineated in full - broken down and so forth. There was a running flavour to it - whatever Evil Personality was going for broke during that particular segment of the story, but by and large the majority of them were but seasons to the narrative, until the end, of course.

But at least Joren was going to try and fix it...

It played out, showing the image of a Rakata. Horrible things; the Protectors have tangled with them sixty-odd millennia ago. The narration began - of the Twilight Wars.

These start when the Kwa become convinced as to the penance of the Rakata, a species which had been created by the Old Ones to fight in their wars tens of thousands of millennia ago. The Rakata approach Kwa emissaries and request the chance to rejoin the greater galactic community. Y’know. The ones with the eye-stalks.

These guys.

A dutiful image appeared, replacing the little hologram version of the Master. For his part, the actual Master watched passively.

The Gree and Kwa, when they were known as Kwoth and served the Old Ones, have long been at odds due the Kwoth re-developing the Gree hyperlanes into Iarger Infinity Gates. Though the Kwoth sought redemption and became the Kwa, the Gree have long despaired that their direct service of the Celestials has been joined by that of a former enemy. Kinda, not wanting to share the spotlight, and all that. When the Kwa and Gree appeal to the Celestials, they will be directed to seek the input of the Protectors, who served beside the Firstborn in the Temporal Wars against the Old Ones.

You guys.

The Master allowed Joren a brief moment to collect his thoughts, gesturing to pause the recording. The Holocron was both mystical and archival, after all. Joren would ordinarily love this kind of thing.

With a sharp gasp, Joren instinctively stepped back, momentarily shaken by the images that had passed across the Holocron’s pinnacle. It had shown him different worlds and cultures, species he did not recognize, and the onset of war. But above all else, it had revealed one of the greatest mysteries of their time, one which scholars and scientists have argued over for centuries – of hyperlanes and interplanetary travel. The Force seemed to buzz with pure excitement at this reality.

“So we can travel beyond the stars,” he muttered under his breath, a boyish grin turning up one side of his mouth with wonder. This was proof that it was possible to travel off-planet...that the technology actually existed!

“The hyperlanes and Infinity Gates...it’s all true,” he continued with a light scoff, turning to regard the Master through the frozen display. “How far into the future is this?” His tone was teeming with anticipation. He seemed more concerned about that revelation than the actual war itself.

The Master shrugged. "Months, maybe years. There was a bit of fuzziness between here and then." A wag of his finger. "But it is you four. Less Zas'tel. He left." Before Joren could comment further he gestured to the Holocron, which continued to speak.

It is the failure of that mediation which will result in a war, and that war will allow the Rakata to reveal their true colours and steal the Force-using hyperdrive of the Kwa, and truly start the Twilight Wars. The Light is lost, and without it, the Celestials cannot rectify the disaster nor foresee the twists of the conflict to come.

Yeah. I know.

He knew that Joren would want to interject, in awe and terror of that revelation. The Master put a finger to his chin, to indicate that Joren needed to listen until the entry was complete. It was possible to ask the Holocron to detail the species and names here by asking it to, and a treasure trove of information existed. Hundreds of thousands of moments and names. Thirty six thousand-odd years - until the End.

The surviving Old Ones take advantage of the chaos, as much as Abeloth escapes the Maw, establishing the pattern of her escapes for all time. The Sith, Dark Nests, Esh-Ka, Vagaari, Anzati and other species come to the aid of Queen Gorog, and the war ravages the galaxy for five terrible, devastating, tragic millennia - but only those worlds not covered by the Celestial’s Centerpoint, Cosmic Turbine and other awesome defensive weapons. Yet even then the former allies of the Old Ones - the Ssither, the Hutts, the Kashi Mer - they refuse to fight for the Old Ones and are attacked.

The Old Ones wreck havoc across the galaxy and though the Celestials stop them, they abandon the galaxy to the Infinite Empire, which continues the Twilight Wars against its former allies, including the Esh-Ka and Sith, even as the Infinite Empire collapses into civil war against the Infernal Empire. The Infinite Empire triumphs and for another five millennia hundreds of worlds will writhe in agony, pain and blood beneath the iron rule of the Rakata.

Because the Light is completely lost.

The Master nodded softly. "Is that still something you want to change?"

Any lingering excitement Joren felt over breaking the barrier into the future and traveling to distant stars instantly vanished on the heavy sigh that expelled from his lips. He didn’t recognize any of the names, places, or situations highlighted in this reel, but it was enough to fill him with dread. The Force bristled in response to what he was seeing, pressing down on him with such urgency that it felt as if he would collapse under the pressure. It was an impending disaster, one that was seemingly out of reach at this point...and yet, he couldn’t ignore his calling. What other choice did he have?

Especially since…

That thought trailed away as he clenched his jaw and angled his chin to face the Master, his face unnaturally pale and a light sheen of sweat now glistening upon his forehead. Very slowly, he dipped his head and gave an affirmative nod. “We have to,” he replied softly, a rueful smile crossing his lips. “You said that we were asked to intervene and set things right...to prevent this tragedy from happening in the first place.”

Closing his eyes briefly, Joren shook his head. “And we failed. We couldn’t stop it. This,” he lifted his right hand and gestured lazily to the holographic display. This is our fault. So, yes, it’s our responsibility to fix it...and to restore the Light.”

The Master waved slightly, backing away. “Good, good. Well, good luck.”

At that, he turned away, putting his hands behind his back.

TAG: @Sinrebirth, all

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Prologue

Lesson Three

IC: The Master

Training was becoming very focused, and an underlying tension was running through the group. Even if it was not evident in their thoughts, in their postures, or otherwise, they were apprehensive, and confused. They did not know where the Master was going with their lessons.

First the Forcesabers, and then the Holocrons. They had been asked, two weeks later, to meet today on the outskirts of the City, looking down. He and one of the apprentices, Joren Graal, had arrived first, but the moment that a single one of the other three, perhaps even four, had came within a feeling of being remotely able to comprehend the conversation, let alone in earshot, eyesight or be able to receive a ripple in the Force, the Master had ended the chat, cheerfully welcoming them.

“Alright.”

“Up until now I have spoken in very, well, vague terms about what the Light is. Or rather, what it will be when the future kicks in. I am sure you have your interpretations of it.” He indicates Dunkeel and Vydra. “Some of you have even discussed it at length while I finished my chat with Joren.” Again, no mention of Vale’s moment.

He gestured them to speak up, to each answer. “This is not a test - it is genuine a question.” He fluttered his fingers. “Hurry, hurry. The quicker you reply the faster I will reach the meat of the Lesson.”

TAG: @QueenSabe7, @HanSolo29, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Mitth_Fisto
    —-
    IC: Fay’pel
    Concurrent to Lesson Three

The Defel looked to the newly arrived Zas’tel, to his potential victim, and back to the Protector. The moment passed; the youth headed off into the crowd, clearly having checked whatever was so important on his mobile device and moved on. Fay’pel wiped saliva and blood from his face, growling.

“You need to go. I don’t want food.”

He clawed his hands, brandishing his teeth. “I want revenge. I want to destroy the edifice that Nouane has created over the basic truth of this world.”

Fay’pel hissed, pacing in front of Zas’tel. “That we are not equal. That there is nothing to defend. There is only power. And blood.”

TAG: @Kev-Mas_Colcha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

He had finally learned the Chisori’s name which was the good news. The bad news, well if it was called bad was it was time for another lesson with the Master.

And once again another debate within Vydra as to whether he was good enough to survive all the lessons without his mind exploding.

They had been lead to a hilltop within the city for the next lesson. Joren was already there with the Master which pleased Vydra. He had not yet had time to catch up with him due to all the lessons and all that had happened. He hoped Joren had at least a nice break. But with what he had learnt there was still an air of suspicion about.

Once again the shadow wasn't there and Vydra’s suspicions about him began to grow. Why had he disappeared?. Had the shadow decided he’s had enough and departed for good? Or perhaps once again had the Master had another trick up his sleeve and had other plans for him?. Vydra could not guess but him being conspicuously absent was troubling Vydra to the core.

“Alright.”

“Up until now I have spoken in very, well, vague terms about what the Light is. Or rather, what it will be when the future kicks in. I am sure you have your interpretations of it.” He indicates Dunkeel and Vydra. “Some of you have even discussed it at length while I finished my chat with Joren.”

Vydra was beginning to wonder what his “chat” was with Joren. With what Dunkeel had revealed perhaps Joren was being revealed something himself. Perhaps another test for the four of them straight from the Master. He kept his mind quiet in the Force.

He gestured them to speak up, to each answer. “This is not a test - it is genuine a question.” He fluttered his fingers. “Hurry, hurry. The quicker you reply the faster I will reach the meat of the Lesson.”

Vydra had to think on his feet here. Of course he would be repeating things he had already said to Dunkeel during their duel, but perhaps it would be a good chance to see how Joren and the woman reacted.

“The Light, one of the galaxies most vexing questions” Vydra said with a slight smile “Some of us may think of it as a tool to use, some of us may think it is the be all and end all of the universe. For me it signifies peace, justice, love, happiness, law, order, calmness, all those emotions that make us better people and able to use the knowledge of the Force to protect. And it’s not just Nouana, our families, those we love that we protect, it is the galaxy as a whole. To use that Light to be a beacon of hope against the darkness”

He looked around at the other quickly before continuing.

“We all know what is coming, well at least I hope we all do. And when that time comes we must be masters of the light, but not lose sight of reality, what we stand for, what we fight for, what we are. And that is defenders of knowledge that should be protected not hoarded. To defend at all costs, to protect and to serve the galaxy. We must hone our skills not just as warriors but mediators. To attack only if it becomes most dire and if all other options have failed. To fail means the darkness wins and we must not let that happen. We must protect so future generations can feel safe”

This last line was meant for Joren as he knew he had a child on the way.

“We all know what needs to be done, and we must strengthen our connection to the Light, to all that is good in this galaxy. We must not give in to emotions that can lead us to the dark. Anger, fear, aggression, selfishness, thinking of ourselves instead of thinking of all. The Light brings balance and we must keep that balance or die as failures”

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @HanSolo29 , @Mitth_Fisto , @QueenSabe7

6. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Hilltop, Nouane - near Clock-Tower

The trip from the Clock-Tower to the hilltop had been a pleasant and quiet one, during which he had focused on working his arm out and getting it to wake back up after the training session. Once they got there The Master and Joren were there waiting, it was The Master though who had something to say again with them only four in number, “Alright.”

“Up until now I have spoken in very, well, vague terms about what the Light is. Or rather, what it will be when the future kicks in. I am sure you have your interpretations of it.” He indicates Dunkeel and Vydra. “Some of you have even discussed it at length while I finished my chat with Joren.”

Another Truth delayed perhaps? Always something and each of them always learning what probably was applicable to them in turn.

Vydra had the audacity to be the first to respond. Considering the musty one's verbose nature it was not surprising. Hopefully there was something in the must to be worth the time.

“The Light, one of the galaxies most vexing questions” Vydra said with a slight smile “Some of us may think of it as a tool to use, some of us may think it is the be all and end all of the universe. For me it signifies peace, justice, love, happiness, law, order, calmness, all those emotions that make us better people and able to use the knowledge of the Force to protect. And it’s not just Nouana, our families, those we love that we protect, it is the galaxy as a whole. To use that Light to be a beacon of hope against the darkness”

He looked around at the other quickly before continuing.

We all know what is coming, well at least I hope we all do. And when that time comes we must be masters of the light, but not lose sight of reality, what we stand for, what we fight for, what we are. And that is defenders of knowledge that should be protected not hoarded. To defend at all costs, to protect and to serve the galaxy. We must hone our skills not just as warriors but mediators. To attack only if it becomes most dire and if all other options have failed. To fail means the darkness wins and we must not let that happen. We must protect so future generations can feel safe”

The man was pandering. Light preserve us, the man was pandering wasn't he?

“We all know what needs to be done, and we must strengthen our connection to the Light, to all that is good in this galaxy. We must not give in to emotions that can lead us to the dark. Anger, fear, aggression, selfishness, thinking of ourselves instead of thinking of all. The Light brings balance and we must keep that balance or die as failures”

Unsure of whether the man was done or not Dunkeel felt compelled to speak up lest the silence drive the man to continue. "I agree and disagree. We are the Light." he simply stated looking from Vydra, to Johen, to The Master, to Vale. "The Protectors are the Light. Whether we go out or exist the Light shall do the same. Until need or circumstance recreates our flavor of understanding, of the view of the Force, of ability and peculiar natures."

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @HanSolo29 , @Jerjerrod-Lennox , @QueenSabe7

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Dr. Joren Graal
    Hillside, Nouane

The others arrived at the hillside retreat a short time later, depriving Joren of the opportunity to probe the Master for more information on what he had just witnessed. This gripped at his chest with a longing unfulfilled, a raw intensity that only fueled his frustration and left him feeling disoriented. He knew that these negative emotions would easily ripple through the Force for the others to perceive, and so he clamped down on the source and filtered them out to minimize the damage. If he was to lead, he needed to project a positive ambiance and not give way to his faults. It was all about confidence.

With that thought in mind, Joren tucked the Holocron into the knapsack at his feet and adopted a more casual stance with his hands planted on either side of his waist. He then inclined his chin to regard his fellow Protectors as they came into view: a slight nod to Vydra to affirm their friendship; a pursing of the lips and a sheepish grin for Vale after the disastrous meeting at the restaurant – he was relieved to see her back at the compound though, Zinara must have found some empathy; a narrowing of the eyes and a subtle cant of the head for the Chistori – he wasn’t all that familiar with him yet, but he was certain that would come with time.

Overall, he felt like a commander surveying his troops prior to battle; they were all here, together as one unit…

Except for the Shadow.

The creature’s absence was glaring in the Force, and when the Doctor reached out in an attempt to locate him, there was only an empty void. Either he was purposely hiding himself in the currents that surrounded them, or he was not in the vicinity.

Most likely the latter.

Joren frowned and shifted his weight at this realization, but before he could voice his concerns, the Master broke into his thoughts to convey his lesson. The old man began by referencing his cryptic nature and how that has prevented him from properly explaining the essence of the Light. While he appeared genuinely eager to reveal this great mystery to them now, he refused to divulge any information until he heard their interpretations of the Light and what they truly believed it entailed.

Of course, it came as no surprise when Vydra volunteered himself to answer first, quickly followed by the Chistori. Joren furrowed his brow; this was an interesting turn of events. Had the two formed a rapport with each other in the interim? It would certainly explain their easy banter.

But more to the point, they seemed to have developed a mutual understanding on the topic. If not a full agreement on terms, then surely a respect for each others’ point of view. Joren remained reticent and watched this exchange take place, finding himself agreeing with certain aspects and wanting to expand on or amend others. And through it all, a small voice continued to remind him of his recent conversation with the Master and how this could all be connected. It repeated with a very profound resonance at the back of his mind, enough to chill him to the bone:

“Because the Light is completely lost.”

Completely lost.

That will allow the Dark to thrive, carrying with it the ravages of war...and untold suffering.

He realized then that this bleak future was not entirely due to the Light’s demise, but rather a world out of balance.

“We are the Light, yes,” Joren replied suddenly in the wake of the Chistori’s response. He reached into his pocket and produced a credit chit, turning it over between his thumb and forefinger as he spoke. “But Vydra is also correct about maintaining a balance...perhaps that is the most important aspect of who and what we are. Consider this coin…”

Joren tossed it in the air for all to see before catching it in the palm of his hand. “It has two sides – heads and tails; it is the perfect balance. In many ways it reflects the Force itself. There is the Light...and we are told of the Dark. We must preserve this dualism – this idea that two seemingly opposite or contrary forces may indeed be complementary or interconnected with one another. One cannot exist without the other. If one disappears, the world is thrown out of balance...and that’s when we have chaos.” He inwardly winced as he once again recalled the vision the Holocron had revealed to him.

“The Light is part of one, single harmony with all living things.” The Doctor inhaled, taking a moment to study the coin in his hand once more. “And if it is our duty to protect and uphold the Light...then does that mean there are others who are assigned to defend the Dark?”

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox; @Mitth_Fisto; @QueenSabe7; @Sinrebirth

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  8. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    IC: Vale Sera
    hilltop, outside the Capital, Nouane

Vale gradually climbed the steady incline of the hill, the earth soft beneath her feet. The grass was coated in a dewy dampness that washed out the sounds of footfalls, making the last leg of her trip eerily silent. In contrast, the gorgeous array of predawn colors that had begun to creep out along the horizon provided all the 'noise' she needed going into the forthcoming lesson, which she looked forward to with mixed unease and some semblance of excitement. The latter came and went rather quickly.

Coming to the topmost stretch, her eyes found a pair of silhouetted forms against the growing light, becoming clearer the closer she moved. The most obvious of the two had been the Master, his familiar attire and faceless cowl always the most formidable presence physically and felt. Next to him she found Joren Graal, though somehow the sight did not surprise her in the least.

Still, as she slowly coming to a stop, Vale found her head dipping low and her body turning ever slightly away from the doctor. Heat rose in her neck and cheeks and she knew she'd be noticeably flushed to the others if it had not been so dim, but thankfully it was. This was embarrassment rearing its ugly head, her stomach twisting as she bit back her rising anxiety and visibly shook herself away from the bad memories of that night.

She drew in the Force closely about her for support and took a final sip of her water, bringing her eyes up to their teacher and holding onto him with every ounce of her focus.

Vale didn't sense much, if anything at all. She tilted her head in concentration, confusion. Strange.

Before she realized enough to snap out of it, the others had already begun speaking. Well, Vydra was more sort of preaching. And Dunkeel had responded in much more direct manner, which she preferred. From one extreme to another, it certainly was a loaded question, wasn't it? "What is the Light?" Easy and impossible, both complex and simple, singular and all encompassing - It was always there when she had needed it, showing her the way even when she had fought against it with all she had. The Light allowed her the freedom to be messy and careless - few and far between, mind you - and it was always there to patiently help her course correct. It had brought her to Zinara, and it had brought her to the Protectors.

Standing a a few steps away from the others, she leaned her head back to stare up what was left of the stars as Joren offered his thoughts. His words troubled her some, striking a very tender cord within her. She brought her eyes down and watched the coin dance about his fingers, lost for a moment.

Two sides of the same coin. Where had she heard that before?

With a sigh, Vale took her turn, answering with the first response that had come to mind the moment the Master had laid out the inquiry for his students.

"The Light is love," she added evenly, her voice still somewhat raspy. She did not have a philosophical sermon to offer or an intriguing demonstration for a visual aid, but what she said was centered in on herself and her own experiences, and it was what made sense to her most.

"It is love in a way that comforts, sustains, protects, supports, binds and thrives." Vale looked sidelong at Dunkeel. "As Protectors, we are all of those things, or we will be. We will need to be." Next she cast a glance towards Vydra. "It prepares and provides balance." The she held her gaze upon Joren, managing to keep her body language neutral though her mind would tell otherwise. "A love that errs yet knows only how to forgive."

A hand came up to sweep her loosening hair back from her face as she chewed on her lower lip for a spell. "It's what keeps you safe and whole should you allow it, a Light to guide you out of the Dark..." Vale trailed off and looked back to the rising sun, resisting the impulsive desire to get personal.

TAGS: @Sinrebirth, all

9. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    IC: Zas'tel

"You need to go," growled the other Defel, "I don't want food."

"I want revenge," he continued, clawing his hands and brandishing his teeth, "I want to destroy the edifice that Nouane has created over the basic truth of this world."

"That we are not equal. That there is nothing to defend. There is only power. And blood."

Zas'tel sighed, and reached out with the Force to hold his fellow Defel in place. It was quite obvious he would only learn from a show of force. So that is what he would give to him.

"What you want, is not what you need. So what if you kill that boy? It won't heal your wounds. It won't accomplish anything but temporary satisfaction. There is no permanent benefits to be gained from the act of violence you seek to commit."

He shook his head, still restraining him.

"I cannot let you do something that you will regret. Something that may end up getting you killed. Something that will end up spoiling the name of our kind even further. Vengeance begets vengeance. If you get yours, they will in turn want theirs, and I promise you, they will get theirs. It's a never ending cycle. If you truly are better than them, do better than them. Be better."

Tag: @Sinrebirth , all

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Prologue

Lesson Three

Hilltop

They spoke, some at length, some not. Some of the others grew uncomfortable with what the other said; some scorned them. Some answered from what they were currently experiencing. Some caused the answer to raise another question. Much of what they felt was concealed, but all were transparent to the Master, and enough of them worried about where Zas’tel was.

So did the Master.

He held out a gloved hand and counted fingers as they spoke. “The Light is the Force, the positive balance of it, falling between us, the world, and everyone and everything.” That was quite a feat to summarise Vydra, and whilst the former librarian was always on the ball, he was also appealing to his colleagues by speaking first. Confidence, even leadership qualities, there.

Another finger. “We are the Light, the Protectors ourselves, and by existing we are responsible for all and ourselves.” Weaving a little of what Dunkeel had said to Vydra earlier of course. Very accurate; practical, even.

A third finger, laconic. “The Light is the opposite to the Dark, to negativity, for it is harmony, while the Dark is not.” A crude summary for what Joren had said, but it sufficed. He was always worried about what the answer itself beget; the next question.

A fourth digit. “The Light is love,” he allowed warmth to flood into the Force. He liked the poetic nature of that. Very Vale; a good sign. She still loved.

“You’re all wrong, sadly.”

He paused. “Well, it’s more that you’re not entirely right, any of you, but you all prove that four good people can have a differing viewpoint on any one thing.”

He exuded a smile into the Force, and gestured into the air. The cloud cover began to part, and the Master spoke as he did. “You will be able to focus upon your Forcesabers and do this, when the training is complete.” He gestured, and drew Joren’s unfamiliar Forcesaber to his hand. It resisted him, as much as a crystal would an unfamiliar holder; he was also exposing that he no longer had a Forcesaber, of course. He flexed and fluttered his hands, and the area darkened above them, the blade igniting in a brilliant snap-hiss.

The world seemed to quiet.

It seemed to still.

The colour faded out of reality.

Eventually, it was all monochrome, beyond themselves. The trees were defined by white lines, the clouds appeared as if drawn upon a black backdrop.

They began to hear voices.

”Mine.”

“There was no father.”

“I rebel.”

“Everything I tell you is a lie.”

“For the dream to live, the dreamer must die.”

Then it became so much background noise that it was unclear. A white circle emerged in the sky, and the words seemed to be murmured from it.

“The World Between Worlds.”

The Masters glee filled the Force.

“This is what we Protect.”

The illumination above him caused shadows to drip off his form.

“Reality itself; time, and space.”

TAG: @QueenSabe7, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Mitth_Fisto, @HanSolo29
    —-
    IC: Fay’pel

The Defel struggled against his unseen bonds, the field keeping him in place. “Chains,” Fay’pel said, gasping, writhing, as if Zas’tel had inflicted true pain upon him. “The Chains are always the hardest part.”

A growl.

“Once we break the Chains, we are truly free!” He snarled, screaming the words out.

“What’s going on here?” A voice of authority rang out. Approaching them in the garb of a soldier was a woman, her blonde hair pulled back into a military cut. Her attire matched that of Vale, as and when she had attended the Temple in uniform, which was not altogether often, but was not unheard of either.

The Master had not acknowledged their origins or professions or prior lives; to Protect transcended all - vocation, persuasion, ethnicity, species, gender, origin, so he said. The military might disagree, but it was hardly as if Vale had advertised her gifts, and most people in Dunkeel’s line of work saw only a worker, not your religious affiliation. Nobody would think to strike up a conversation about such a matter with a librarian, save for banal research, but Joren’s occasional celebrity had potential to draw the eye... but not once, oddly, had any journalist enquired or student turned up unannounced. The Master and his clock-Temple seemed to exist out of place and behind the rules of Nouane, yet was always intrinsically connected.

Of course, however, this particular soldier would know of them, and she already had her rapier-sword drawn.

For the woman that was here was Zinara, and her wife, or ex-wife, or who knew, was Vale Sera.

11. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Hilltop

The Master after everyone had their say had a response, ready, tailored, and odd as always.

The Master held out a gloved hand and counted fingers as they spoke. “The Light is the Force, the positive balance of it, falling between us, the world, and everyone and everything.” That was Vydra, although short and to the point.

Another finger. “We are the Light, the Protectors ourselves, and by existing we are responsible for all and ourselves.” Weaving a little of what Dunkeel had said to Vydra earlier of course. Not much room to prune there, but had a flair he liked better in summary than in his own words.

A third finger, laconic. “The Light is the opposite to the Dark, to negativity, for it is harmony, while the Dark is not.” Another summary now for Joren, he wondered if that was the one.

A fourth digit. “The Light is love,” he allowed warmth to flood into the Force. Vale; she had elicited a strong response a good sign. The warmth was like a good heat lamp after a large meal pouring to him through the Force, in a way he never wanted it to end.

“You’re all wrong, sadly.” So it did, as his eyes narrowed, waiting, focusing on what The Master might say until he did with every sense he had.

“Well, it’s more that you’re not entirely right, any of you, but you all prove that four good people can have a differing viewpoint on any one thing.” The Master stated and Dunkeel chuffed at the notion of it all. He wanted to ask what it was then, but he knew to wait, to hold his tongue.

He exuded a smile into the Force, and gestured into the air. The cloud cover began to part, and the Master spoke as he did. “You will be able to focus upon your Forcesabers and do this, when the training is complete.” He gestured, and drew Joren’s unfamiliar Forcesaber to his hand. It resisted him, which was fascinating to behold in the Force; The Master was also exposing that he no longer had a Forcesaber, of course. Where did it go? Or did he merely forget it? Odd. The Master flexed and fluttered his hands, and the area darkened above them, the blade igniting in a brilliant snap-hiss.

The world seemed to quiet.

It seemed to still.

The colour faded out of reality.

Eventually, it was all monochrome, beyond themselves, although with The Master, well he was always monochrome so it was hard to tell if anything had truly changed. The trees were defined by white lines, the clouds appeared as if drawn upon a black backdrop.

Then he began to hear voices.

”Mine.”

“There was no father.”

“I rebel.”

Then the voices became too many, to the point that they were merely a dull roar. A white circle emerged in the sky, and the words seemed to be murmured from it. A source in this monochromatic world of chaotic noise.

The Masters glee filled the Force. It was palpable, tasting like wet liver upon the tongue, strong and pungent.

"Is that all." he softly grunted as he looked at the ring. A strange notion building to jump, to pounce upon this thing. Yet he waited, waited to be taught. Waited to know.

TAG: @QueenSabe7, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Sinrebirth , @HanSolo29

12. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Vydra listened intently as he others spoke. It was interesting what the different viewpoints were.

Dunkeel of course was straight and to the point which was not surprising that he favored an attacking style of combat. A person of very few words.

Joren, like Vydra, was trying to balance it all out it seemed. And he did have a point about people protecting the dark just as they were protecting the light. Were there dark protectors of some sort? They had seen the potential future, perhaps there were dark protectors that protected all the emotions that they had tried to banish. Could they come into contact at some point? He acknowledged Joren’s earlier nod with a smile and a nod.

Vale (he had finally learned of her name) spoke about love and addressed each of them in turn as to what love meant to the light. Vydra did find it beautiful and it reminded him of the love for his family. He didn't know whether Vale had any family or people she loved but it sounded like her speech came from the heart. And it was such an amazing thing love.

Keep an eye on the goal Vydra….

Inwardly Vydra sighed and began to focus on the Master again. It was a shame Vydra could not dwell on all that had been said. He was picking all the pieces apart from everything to try and keep the light from falling, to make sure he did his job.

Would love in the future if he found it get in the way?

Meanwhile the shadow still had not returned and Vydra was getting very suspicious. Hopefully the Master had sent him off on an errand or a special job, otherwise it may be that they were about to drop to four students…

And he knew what would happen then.

The Master continued answering each person’s version of the Light with his own interpretations.

“The Light is the Force, the positive balance of it, falling between us, the world, and everyone and everything.” this covered Vydra’s speech, although in a more summarized form. Vydra responded with a nod.

“We are the Light, the Protectors ourselves, and by existing we are responsible for all and ourselves.” answering Dunkeel’s version with an answer that seemed to hopefully meet the Chistori’s blunt answer.

“The Light is the opposite to the Dark, to negativity, for it is harmony, while the Dark is not.” This one was for Joren, Vydra knew he was like him, always asking questions and seeking answers. Vydra however knew that to have answers you sometimes had to have patience.

“The Light is love,”. A simple answer for Vale but it seemed the Master liked the answer, that Vale could still love even though she had chosen the life of a Protector.

He paused. “Well, it’s more that you’re not entirely right, any of you, but you all prove that four good people can have a differing viewpoint on any one thing.”

Vydra tried to not be too disappointed at that remark but at least the Master had considered all viewpoints. Dunkeel earlier on had just basically blasted Vydra’s viewpoint to bits but it was always good to hear all sides of the story as it were.

He exuded a smile into the Force, and gestured into the air. The cloud cover began to part, and the Master spoke as he did. “You will be able to focus upon your Forcesabers and do this, when the training is complete.”

Something’s about to happen….

Vydra tried to steel himself against what may be about to come. Who knew what the Master had in his box of tricks.

The Master called Joren’s Forcesaber to him, although it seemed it was resisting him, probably because it was heading to an unfamiliar person. A blue blade shot to life as the Master moved his hands and the area above them became dark. Vydra was getting concerned now that this was all becoming another test, that some nasty beast or something would come jumping out.

It became quiet and still, the colour draining out. Vydra had to blink a few times as he thought his vision had gone funny. But no, it was real. It was like he was delving into a dream world, or a nightmare.

Get ready to defend.

Voices appeared as if from nowhere:

"Mine.”

“There was no father.”

“I rebel.”

The potential futures, or futures that had already been set. Perhaps the time was coming that Vydra and the others would come into combat, that they would have to dive in so to speak and Protect the future as they were ordered to do. This was all part of his job, and now he would see where this would lead. Who would rise to the challenge and who would succumb.

He had to be ready even though the responsibility of it all was crushing him again.

A white circle appeared and the Master’s glee shone brightly in the Force. Vydra did not stretch out his senses as he was worried what he might feel there.

Oh boy…

Vydra was beginning to feel sick. Was he ready for all of this? Truth be told, not really, but if he had to find a way to stay alive and protect the legacy of the Protectors then he had to be.

His hand brushed the hilt of his Fprcesaber, ready to defend if necessary but only if anything came through that should not be coming through. Dunkeel looked ready to pounce and eat the thing, Vydra however was looking at the circle with a mix of dread and resolve. He was studying it as if it was something that he had never seen before and something that he needed to know more about. Especially if it was a gateway between worlds. What it could be though was that they could be positioned next to these in order to prevent any number of nasty things coming through.

It was all too much at the moment, but Vydra had to remain calm, otherwise he would just end up collapsing from it all.

To be honest, he wasn't up to asking any questions at the moment, he was just training his eyes on that circle, keeping an eye on it.

Hopefully all would be revealed.

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @HanSolo29 , @QueenSabe7 , @Mitth_Fisto

13. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002

"What's going on here?" said an authoritative voice, coming from a woman dressed in the garb of a soldier. Zas'tel recognized her attire as matching that of Vale, particularly Zinara's wife, unbeknownst to Zas'tel as actually being her ex-wife.

"This pup was about to commit a murder," said Zas'tel, passing on the responsibility of saving the two lives to the soldier, trusting that she'd do the right thing, "I took the liberty of restraining him so he would not end up becoming a danger to his life and the life of whoever he intended to kill, but I do believe that apprehending criminals falls under your jurisdiction."

"There is no need for your weapon here. Neither of us are currently in the position to do any harm - whether it be my lack of desire or his lack of ability."

Tag: @Sinrebirth

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hillside, Nouane

A faint disquiet settled over the proceedings as the Master held out a gloved hand and critiqued each of their answers. He was brief and subtle, as was his nature, but Joren knew that he was not the source of the strange stirring that had swiftly clouded his senses. A slight nod to the left revealed Vale studying him from afar, her expression and demeanor fairly neutral despite her recent heartfelt analysis. When she finally looked away to gaze toward the rising sun, Joren narrowed his eyes perceptively.

She had spoken about love. Did that mean that she had found peace after the terrible situation at the restaurant? Or was it a veiled accusation after she had lost it? In either case, Joren could certainly relate to some degree. While he had not lost love, it was something that had become an integral part of himself through his wife; it kept him grounded in this harsh reality. In fact, if he put it in context with the lesson, it truly had become his guiding Light.

But to sever that strong link and lose it completely…?

Joren inwardly winced, diverting his eyes away from the woman as he was suddenly overcome by an onslaught of guilt. No matter how hard he tried to contort it, he knew he was partly responsible for driving that wedge between Vale and her wife and potentially shattering their relationship. He needed to find his own peace over the role he had played that night, and the only way to do so was to speak with her directly and candidly.

However, now was not the time to delve into personal matters. The Master was carrying on with the lesson, gesturing toward the sky with an exuberant smile. “You will be able to focus upon your Forcesabers and do this, when the training is complete,” the old man beamed, having effectively disproved their theories about the Light. According to him, they had all been wrong. Joren frowned at this revelation and shifted his weight awkwardly. Was it necessary to draw things out in this way?

Where was the truth?

As if in answer to his unspoken question, the Forcesaber that he kept stashed away with the other belongings in his knapsack began to tremble slightly before it jumped from its resting place to land in the Master’s outstretched hand. It seemed to resist the man at first, but then the pale, blue blade ignited with only a brief hesitation.

The Doctor inclined his head marginally at this display and simply observed, his blue eyes hardening with mild irritation. The Master taking the saber from his possession was such a petty thing to get upset over, though he suspected it wasn’t the act itself that had raised his ire. There were several other contributory factors involved, including his own stress and the culmination of crazy events that had transpired over the past few weeks – he felt frustrated, desperate, tired...and worried. It wasn’t a very positive combination.

And of course, that’s when the Force decided to spike curiously, the odd disturbance sending a perceptible chill down the length of his spine. Joren involuntarily shuddered and angled his chin toward the sky...just in time to see the clouds parting and the color fading from the azure plane above. But it didn’t stop there; this strange anomaly continued to evolve until it stretched across the entire landscape, the trees, buildings, hills, and other intricate details dissolving into a pale monochrome.

Everything around them had turned black and white, as if someone had reached down from above and redefined their reality as a simple wire drawing. It didn’t seem possible...

And then Joren heard the voices. Thousands of them. They inundated his mind with a myriad of different conversations, the deafening cacophony threatening to overwhelm him. For a moment, he thought that perhaps the disembodied voices were coming from within, but then he realized just as quickly that they were originating from another source – a peculiar white circle that had suddenly appeared in the sky.

“The World Between Worlds,” the Master announced, his fervor filling the Force with pure elation. For his part, Joren continued to stare with his mouth unhinged, his brow furrowed with intense interest. Was this one of the legendary Infinity Gates? Did the Master hold the key to unlock its secrets?

And if so, what about everything else he had witnessed in the vision? How did this relate?

“This is what we Protect – reality itself; time, and space.”

Biting his lower lip, Joren canted his head to the side as his frown increased. True to the Master’s eccentric personality, this explanation only managed to raise even more questions instead of answer them. It certainly did not help to put him at ease.

“I don’t understand,” he found himself murmuring before he could stop the words from tumbling out of his mouth. “How does this apply to the Light? Is this the Light? Or perhaps...one of its many gateways?”

TAG: @Sinrebirth; @QueenSabe7; @Jerjerrod-Lennox; @Mitth_Fisto

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Prologue

Lesson Three

Hilltop

As ever, the Master was enjoying their reactions, and resisted the urge to focus on Vale, as curious as he was about her. To be fair, he was just curious about all of them, stoic Dunkeel, confused Vydra, panicked Joren.

He had surprised them; it was his specialty, it was the sole pleasure he derived from teaching. Part of him was somewhat sad that there might ever come a point where his apprentices knew everything, and he had certainly given them all manner of access to an awful amount of knowledge.

The Twilight Wars; the birth of the Republic; the eras of Conflict, the Sith, the Star Wars... the end.

He lamented the necessity of it, but he was, unironically, running out of time.

“The World Between Worlds is a place that the Celestials protect from the Dark, as it is a conduit to all of existence here. They feel responsible for this realm as it is their creations which have corrupted our fates, and though peace has reigned for some sixty five millennia... apparently, we cannot take it for granted that we will always have peace.”

He mused aloud.

“If a darksider was to access the World Between Worlds, they would have the same access which we are about to have; to all of reality.”

A grimace; felt but not seen, for the mans face remained hidden even now.

“The past, present and future, my apprentices. It is here. I will bequeath each of you the ability to access this place, with the Forcesabers. Such knowledge is also within your Holocrons. It is, also, forbidden by the Celestials themselves, in our ancient covenant with them. But there may yet be a need to access it, and the Celestials have entrusted me with passing this knowledge to my apprentices. As a failsafe.”

He paused. “Not directly, of course. This knowledge was within the Protectors histories; they have not accessed the World Between Worlds for some time. But my discovery of it was not by chance; it was destiny, and I am required to manage Fate as much as I manage the training of my successor.”

The master turned to look at them each, lowering his hands. The circle remained far above them, but it as large enough to accommodate much; a Gate. The Gate.

“Do you understand that this is forbidden? That the Force will be forced to act, if you call upon the World Between Worlds and open a way to the past?”

TAG: @QueenSabe7, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Sinrebirth , @HanSolo29
    ---

IC: Zinara

The captive whimpered, intending to appease the officer; she had none of it - this particular Defel had been on their 'to watch' list for some months. It was not unheard of for nonhumans to integrate more and be censured by their communities. In the story of Fay'pel, the authorities had managed to apprehend the majority of the culprits who had ruined the Defel's life, but should he turn into something... bad, then the story would be flipped by the dingbat element, of course. That this was always the way the Defel's were.

Nouane attempted to balance all viewpoints, but sometimes Zinara wished they had authority to just shut down some parts of the community for good. Of course, she had no idea who would be best placed to judge on everyone, even though she had heard one senior officer suggest that the Master was the closest thing they had to an entirely neutral party. Of course, that had infuriated Zinara then, and continued to do so today.

What made these 'Protectors' so much better than anyone else? Their communion with the Force? Their powers - and the fact that they rarely employed them as far as they knew. Who could say what the Master had snuck past them, as he wandered in and around the City, and the outer villages? There was a group of officers which kept track of him, but more often and not they were chasing air.

Checks, and balances, Zinara thought, angrily.

So who would balance out Zas'tel, she thought? The file on the Defel was shorter than a child in the City, which was not abnormal for Defel, due to how difficult they were to keep track of, especially as Zas'tel preferred to remain inside the Clock-Temple. Had he fully integrated, or had he simply chosen a more exclusive and secretive community than that of his birth?

"There is no need for your weapon here. Neither of us are currently in the position to do any harm - whether it be my lack of desire or his lack of ability."

Zinara tuned back in, and realised that her weapon was pointed at Zas'tel, almost inadvertently. She lowered it. "Are you not learning with your comrades today, Zas'tel?" She used his name, almost snapping. "Do you have any proof of Fay'pel's intention beyond your Force?" She knew that she was exposing a degree of surveillance upon them both, but Zinara wanted to put the Protectors in their place and she was not exposing a secret - all individual groups were under scrutiny, and they all needed to know as much.

Even if she didn't want to keep track of Vale, she would make the Master pay for what he had done to them.

TAG: @Kev-Mas_Colcha, @QueenSabe7 (mentioned)

16. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Vydra was still watching that circle intently as if his life depended on it. Well if it was the World Between Worlds anything could pop out and say hello.

Joren had decided to do what Vydra didn't which was ask a valid question about the Light. Knowing the Master and what he had learned so far, the answer was probably not going to be a simple one.

And he was right.

“The World Between Worlds is a place that the Celestials protect from the Dark, as it is a conduit to all of existence here. They feel responsible for this realm as it is their creations which have corrupted our fates, and though peace has reigned for some sixty five millennia... apparently, we cannot take it for granted that we will always have peace.”

He mused aloud.

“If a darksider was to access the World Between Worlds, they would have the same access which we are about to have; to all of reality.”

Vydra could see the point here. The Protectors had been trained in combat, and they would not have been if this was all about keeping the peace in Nouana. They had been trained for war and trained as warriors even if Vydra himself had resolved not attack unless necessary.

Of course darksiders would be able to harness the same abilities as they did, although the darksiders would harness emotions that the Protectors themselves considered bad. Of course with what Vydra knew, a darksider could be somewhere nearby watching all of this or even….

No.

“The past, present and future, my apprentices. It is here. I will bequeath each of you the ability to access this place, with the Forcesabers. Such knowledge is also within your Holocrons. It is, also, forbidden by the Celestials themselves, in our ancient covenant with them. But there may yet be a need to access it, and the Celestials have entrusted me with passing this knowledge to my apprentices. As a failsafe.”

He paused. “Not directly, of course. This knowledge was within the Protectors histories; they have not accessed the World Between Worlds for some time. But my discovery of it was not by chance; it was destiny, and I am required to manage Fate as much as I manage the training of my successor.”

This was confusing. Why teach something that is forbidden and yet could be used as a failsafe? Perhaps if they needed to use it it would only be if the situation was most dire. The Celestials themselves must have seen something to be able to allow the Master to bequeath this power upon them. But what had they seen? Had they seen everyone’s Truths?. Had Vydra’s been revealed? He didn't know and could never guess.

His Holocron held the key to battling the dark, but did he really want to access such raw power?. Once again it was a responsibility that Vydra was probably not prepared for.

Meanwhile the circle was still hovering above them, as if tempting them to jump through. He did nearly chuckle at an image of Dunkeel trying to eat the thing.

“Do you understand that this is forbidden? That the Force will be forced to act, if you call upon the World Between Worlds and open a way to the past?”

Once again more questions than answers. No doubt Joren would ask a question or questions about this whole thing. Vydra understood the basic principle. I am giving you this power, but only use it if things go so badly wrong that you need to jump in and possibly affect everything. It’a a forbidden power, so bad that the Celestial basically said it as a no-go but we're giving it to you anyway.

Vydra narrowed his eyes “So you are basically telling us that we can use this power, but in effect we can’t because it is forbidden” he shook his head “Why give us this power if it is forbidden? How does this enable us to protect the Light when it could in effect change everything, change history and possibly allow warriors of the dark to infiltrate it?”

“The Force will be called upon to act, does that mean we could die? Or be stripped of the Force?. Why would the Celestial bestow such power to us when it could be so dire for us?. I see more questions than potential answers and it is making me uneasy”

"Also you say successor, not successors, what does that mean for all of us? That we will be whittled down to one?. That those of us not worthy of the title of Protector are kicked off?. Again this is making me uneasy".

Of course with what the Master had told him what he could go through was potentially scary. But this….this was a whole new level of scary.

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @Mitth_Fisto , @HanSolo29 , @QueenSabe7

17. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Hilltop

Looking at the edge of reality, to see it all bleed away to a simple darkness and accenting light. It was impressive. He could feel the joy coming like waves off The Master as each of them took in what they looked at. Only one spoke up about needing to know more, the famous one. Was he the one? Possibly, and Dunkeel had to admit he did not find that notion so terrible, not like the one of Vydra had been earlier. The man, Joren approached it like someone trying to gain the size or shape of the thing, and to him that made sense enough without trying to atomize it all to the constituent sub-particles as the other was want to do. Then there was something else, something teasing at the edges of The Master's presence, sadness. He couldn't pin down the kind, but it was there, lingering.

Vale
    , as curious as he was about her. To be fair, he was just curious about all of them, stoic Dunkeel, confused Vydra, panicked Joren.

“The World Between Worlds is a place that the Celestials protect from the Dark, as it is a conduit to all of existence here. They feel responsible for this realm as it is their creations which have corrupted our fates, and though peace has reigned for some sixty five millennia... apparently, we cannot take it for granted that we will always have peace.” The Master mused aloud. “If a darksider was to access the World Between Worlds, they would have the same access which we are about to have; to all of reality.”

A grimace; felt but not seen, The Master ever hidden had taught him well how to feel and to know that simple thing. At least that much.

The Master paused. “Not directly, of course. This knowledge was within the Protectors histories; they have not accessed the World Between Worlds for some time. But my discovery of it was not by chance; it was destiny, and I am required to manage Fate as much as I manage the training of my successor.”

The Master turned to look at them each, lowering his hands. The circle remained far above them, but it was large enough to accommodate much; a Gate. The Gate. A ship perhaps? Or would need nothing but what they took with them? Now he was asking questions, because he knew as when he had seen his first rat. This was intended not as merely something to see, but something he was supposed to follow, something he was supposed to take. Perhaps not forever, but in a way he would and so it would of him if he was not good enough.

“Do you understand that this is forbidden? That the Force will be forced to act, if you call upon the World Between Worlds and open a way to the past?” The Master asked and he pushed aside those feelings. Letting them, that desire and that certainty, fall off like slough or old skin that he knew was no long right for him.

Vydra was the first to speak from his pinched face “So you are basically telling us that we can use this power, but in effect we can’t because it is forbidden” he shook his head “Why give us this power if it is forbidden? How does this enable us to protect the Light when it could in effect change everything, change history and possibly allow warriors of the dark to infiltrate it?”

“The Force will be called upon to act, does that mean we could die? Or be stripped of the Force?. Why would the Celestial bestow such power to us when it could be so dire for us?. I see more questions than potential answers and it is making me uneasy”

"Also you say successor, not successors, what does that mean for all of us? That we will be whittled down to one?. That those of us not worthy of the title of Protector are kicked off?. Again this is making me uneasy".

Canting his head Dunkeel pondered the others words with a small chirping noise escaping the back of his throat. Remembering. Knowing. Accepting. Possibilities. He looked at Vydra, "Yes. The one has already been chosen, we have already failed the choice if we believe the echoes and all stories. . . Still the actions bare merritt and eternity is a choice." Turning his head to stare The Master he simply dipped his head.

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @Jerjerrod-Lennox , @HanSolo29 , @QueenSabe7

18. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    Hillside, Capital City, Nouane

Vale’s head slowly turned back towards the Master as he responded to them each as a whole. While she truly believed in her answer, she had partly assumed he would tell her she was incorrect in one form or another. She was still too raw and too lost in the swirl of emotions caused by her… separation… to think beyond herself in a way that was required, much as the others had succeeded in doing. Admittedly, she suddenly felt foolish at her mentor’s refusal, now recognizing that while she had tried to refrain from being personal, she had actually done the opposite and made it personal. Refusing another open study of Dr. Graal, she at least took solace in the fact that not all of her fellow Protector’s knew of her struggles. She could sense as much.

Regardless, it stung to hone in on her private faults, but it was also a much needed reminder that she had a lot more healing to work through.

In an oddly surprising wave of longing, she briefly pondered the idea of disappearing into the shadows as their mysterious fifth member often did, whether it would be better suited for her at this time in her life rather than allowing such vulnerability. It vanished almost immediately, along with the accompanying curiosity as to where the final Protector had been for a time, leaving her troubled and far from comforted.

An impatient sigh.

Focus.

Wrapping her arms about her shoulders as a chill that had little to do with the temperature slid across her exposed skin, she watched their captivating leader gesture high. Vale felt it - the Force building and shifting all around them in answer to his call. Her gaze dutifully followed skyward, the orange-yellow clouds dissipating in a strange manner at his command, and she became gratefully lost to wonder for another countless time.

The vibrant colors of that beautiful pre-dawn morning and of the lush world around them began to steadily seep away, leeched from anything and everything within sight. Her breath caught as the expanse below the hillside died out, its visual life disappearing right before her eyes. Anxiously glancing down to her feet, she watched while the green faded from the soft grass beneath them, replaced with the dullest, most lifeless shades of grey. Half expecting the phenomenon to latch onto her boots and begin climbing up her legs, she resisted the urge to jump or run, finding calm within her trust in the Master, how he would never purposefully bring about that which would harm her. Or any of them.

Regardless, Vale’s throat was dry again and she swallowed nervously. Her ears popped with discomfort and the absence of sound now became apparent. In its place was a deafening silence that seemed to press in on her from every direction. Before…

Whispers, faint and unintelligible, soon crept into that void, building in volume until she heard the voices distinct and clear. As if the speakers were just beside her… inside her… their echoing nature seeming to come from the depths of her own mind.

”Mine.” / “There was no father.” / “I rebel.” / “Everything I tell you is a lie.” / “For the dream to live, the dreamer must die.”

Her eyes fluttered closed as she sank into the foreign words and the feelings their unknown sources stirred. Still they grew, coming quicker, more assertive, until they all were speaking at once. Vale wished to shout at them to slow down so she could tell them apart but she couldn’t any longer, all of it swirling together to become a string of constant buzzing. Confusion set in to mask everything else and she shook her head from side to side once or twice, as if that would help make sense of it all but to no avail. Straining now, it was too loud, she reopened her eyes intending to see how the others were responding. She didn’t get the chance to even cast a sidelong glance at any of them, as her head was still tilted back towards where the clouds had been. The moment her gaze became clear she was met with a scene that froze her in place, making her audibly gasp.

“The World Between Worlds. This is what we Protect. Reality itself; time, and space.”

The Master’s reveal seemed to come from a distance. All the indecipherable noise had now been given a focal point in the form of the singular, perfectly shaped circle that had emerged from the colorless skies above, glowing a luminous white. The whispers called out to her from that unknown place, this… World Between Worlds.

Fascinating and terrifying to the same degree, she swelled with pride at finally learning of her purpose as a Protector. Of course, her Truth and identity - as previously and privately revealed - had conjured many questions yet to be answered and learning what she just had opened many more, but hearing her mentor and teacher acknowledge something formally… it brought her a sense of peace simply to know.

Almost as if attempting to add to her momentary satisfaction, her left jacket pocket became noticeably heavier. She remembered what lay within its confines - her recently assembled forcesaber, now imbued with much more importance than she could have previously imagined, or hoped. No longer just a tool of a Protector, but also a key, her key to another realm entirely. Or to… well, she did not have the faintest idea.

She hadn’t a clue what the ‘World Between Worlds’ was nor what it meant or did or existed for… whether her immediate assumption was right or so far off the mark it might as well be in another galaxy. Vale let out a nervous twitch of a laugh at the absurdity of it, at the impossibility of it.

Funny how the impossible kept finding a way to become reality.

Pulling her saber out into the open for the first time since she had been given the crystal that resided inside the new hilt, she held it low but did not look at it, rather more routinely had it in hand to continue to become familiar with its feel. The desire to do so now was tenfold what it had been, almost as though she were touching something brand new.

Aside from this, she absently heard Dunkeel and Joren respond to the revelation that literally hung over their heads, cynically and questioningly, none such a word from Vydra as there wouldn’t be from her. She was too transfixed on what was happening above, letting her thoughts take in what she was being shown and taught, allowing the knowledge to saturate her mind. Still, as ever, the Master’s voice permeated all else to seize her attention, and she would do nothing but listen to anything he chose to share.

This time more than others, the lesson was a weighted amount to take in. Where she had felt lighter a moment ago, now she carried a heavier burden. It was certainly more meaningful and without saying, more powerful, but a burden nonetheless. The back and forth between understanding and being completely perplexed was making her dizzy, almost overwhelmingly.

Where she had not thought of her once since reentering the temple that was now her true home, Vale thought of her wife and the stability she once provided. How strong she felt in her presence, how reassured she always became at Zinara’s touch… if things had been different, would she offer the same relief as she had before? Be as supportive? Would the one she loved have turned to her with a knowing smile and said “Trust the Force, trust yourself,” as she had years before?

Vale tore away from it all and lifted her hands to rub her weary eyes, pacing slowly within her small patch of earth. She opened her mouth to protest on something specific but Vydra managed the words before she could. In doing so, she could sense his uncertainty as strongly as her own, perhaps panic and a drop of indignation mixed in for good measure. It emboldened her.

She collected herself and moved closer to the group, nodding in agreement.

“Yes, you are showing us the way to a path we are foretold not to travel?” she followed, her tone more accusatory than necessary. “That this is what we must do but in no way should?” He wouldn’t lead them astray now, would he? Especially her, so much time and effort given to his teachings, so much given for a cause she had never once believed to be unworthy of sacrifice, even when she didn’t even know what it was she was sacrificing for.

Sucking in what might become an escalating argument, she stopped. Attributing her rising apprehension to her previous lapse where Zinara was concerned, as well as reacting inappropriately to Vydra’s own issues, Vale forced it aside, listening to Dunkeel instead.

Something troubled her about what both of them brought to the table and she could not tell the others, only the Master would understand. So, she clenched her jaw and remained silent for the time being.

Vale had grown tense within her own insecurities, but she held her ground and watched the man that held all the answers. Her questions were their questions, and theirs were hers. For now.

TAGS: @Mitth_Fisto @Jerjerrod-Lennox @HanSolo29 @Kev-Mas_Colcha @Sinrebirth

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  19. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002

"Are you not learning with your comrades today, Zas'tel?" Zinara asked.

"I'm learning today," replied Zas'tel, "But not with my comrades. The Master sent me out to gather supplies for a trip I'm preparing for, but I got sidetracked when I noticed this pup on the hunt for... human meat."

She continued her questioning. "Do you have any proof of Fay'pel's intention beyond your Force?"

"Yes. We Defel have a very instinctive way of hunting for our prey. It's unnoticeable to non-Defel such as yourself, even moreso than our visibility to your eyes under the cover of darkness, but to a fellow Defel such as myself, it's very obvious."

"Fay'pel here, was on the hunt. For human meat. That I am certain of. That much he also admitted to me rather easily. He wasn't shy about it at all. I'm sure he'll tell you the same with a small bit of questioning, maybe less. His pride shall be his undoing."

"Be careful though," Zas'tel continued, with a warning, "He feels slighted by Nouanese society. He felt he was justified, and sought a vengeance that was righteous in his eyes. As misguided as he is, it is important to understand his point of view in order to get through to him. Reacting to his callousness with more callousness will get you nowhere."

Tag: @Sinrebirth

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hillside, Nouane

The Master replied to Joren’s question in typical fashion, weaving an intricate web of intrigue that soon exploded poignantly through the Force in the form of mass confusion from his peers. With a steadying breath, the Doctor reacted to this outpouring of emotions by pressing his hand pensively against his chin to observe the proceedings, one eye forever on the peculiar circle far above their heads.

In truth, it was a lot to take in; it didn’t make a lot of sense from a mission standpoint, especially when confronted with two seemingly opposing theories. But on a personal level, Joren was starting to detect a pattern in the way that this conversation was unfolding. It seemed familiar somehow, his thoughts instantly going back to what the Master had said to him in private prior to the others’ arrival:

“It is a paradox, of course it is!” The Master had clapped his hands together enthusiastically. “To live is to change, to be evolving. As such the Force and our interpretation of it needs to do. So we need to make the hard choices, but make sure they are tempered by the little ones. Well, consider embracing that paradox part of your Truth too.”

“Another paradox,”
    he muttered under his breath, the words intended for his own benefit, but he wouldn’t be surprised if the Master overheard; after all, he had sent him down this path.

Was this yet another anomaly in the Force that he had been assigned to decipher and adapt for their own means? The old man had already hinted to Joren that he possessed the potential to go back, and shift the course of time to save the galaxy from utter annihilation; that the outcome he had viewed in the Holocron had somehow been undone.

A failure from a past attempt.

Was this…gate – the World Between Worlds – the key to set things right? Again, he had to wonder if it was one of the fabled Infinity Gates. Or perhaps, something similar? Surely, some kind of correlation existed between the two.

This possibility brought a small smirk to Joren’s features and he shook his head slowly in mild amazement, but his furor for these new circumstances soon faded when he caught the end of Vydra’s reflection:

"Also you say successor, not successors, what does that mean for all of us? That we will be whittled down to one? That those of us not worthy of the title of Protector are kicked off? Again this is making me uneasy.”

The others soon chimed in with similar concerns – doubts about their chosen path and unease over a prospective successor to the Master’s work. Joren visibly frowned at the latter point, almost feeling guilty for having learned his Truth and the likely ramifications it could have on the group.

After all, the Master had already revealed to Joren that he had been ‘chosen’ through his Truth to take charge of the group as the new leader after the old man had moved on. While he recognized the importance of bearing such a burden, at no point did he ever interpret it as a dismissal for the others. From his understanding, they would continue to serve in their roles as Protectors; it was more like a new beginning for all of them. He needed them.

With that thought still fresh in his mind, the Doctor had to wonder – was it appropriate for him to announce this revelation to the rest of the group while he still had a chance to control the commentary? Would it allow him to put a positive spin on things?

Pressing his lips together firmly, Joren canted his head and glanced surreptitiously at the Master from afar, almost as if to seek his advice on how to proceed. He suddenly felt lightheaded and unsure of himself, his feet shifting under the weight of the tension now pressing down on him.

Closing his eyes and turning his face toward the gateway in the sky, Joren finally surrendered himself to the Force, reaching out for guidance, strength, reassurance, and encouragement.

TAG: @Sinrebirth; @Jerjerrod-Lennox; @QueenSabe7; @Mitth_Fisto

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Lesson Three

Hill-top, and World Between Worlds

There was a joviality to the Master that belied the confusion before him. But many of his lessons were like this - but maybe, just once, he had gone too far.

“This is why, Protectors.”

With a gesture, he teased Vale’s cube-shaped Holocron from its pocket and into a space between them all. With a flutter of his fingers, it activated, and showed the gatekeeper - a small version of the Master himself. He held up his hand, forefinger and thumb together, and then widened the gap, making the projection larger.

“Go to the Star Wars, Chapter 21 BBY, Mortis, and what occurred there.” The chapters were numbered according to the agreed upon dating convention at the end of the era, just to make it additionally annoying to find anything.

The Holocron immediately replied.

During the Clone Wars the imbalance in the Force reached its zenith. Running out of time before his life ended thanks to said imbalance, the Celestial Father had no choice. Reaching outside of their mystical realm of Mortis, he drew the Chosen One Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka Tano to him. It is not entirely clear what occurred, for only those three Jedi, the Father, Son and Daughter were present. Secondary sources found within the New Jedi Temple revealed what Grandmaster Yoda told his then apprentice Luke Skywalker the tale, who, until events occurred later, assumed it was a mere parable. But what we do know is Anakin Skywalker refused to replace the Father, and by the end of the encounter, all three Celestials were dead, severing our connection to the Maker. Shortly after, the Republic fell and the Jedi were purged, and the divide between life and death ebbed - the Force itself was damaged, and there were none to hand to stop the newest and most devastating cycle of violence to befall the galaxy - violence which now threatened the seals upon the deceased Old Ones themselves, and indeed the avatar of Chaos.

The Master allowed it to stop.

“The World Between Worlds - the Light - is the hedge against chaos. It is not our place to use it wantonly, but what would happen if the Celestials themselves fell? Who would have the knowledge, or indeed the right, to fix what had occurred? To undo the End of Time?”

His hands broadened to encompass the four of them. “You.”

The Master turned his hand to Joren. “And in terms of my successor,” he adopted his amused tone again, “You came across a teeny bit paranoid there, Vydra! I blame Dunkeel and all his talk of culling.” A liquid shrug. “I’m not going to have you all go at it for the right to become my successor, my friends! Not at all. This is not a two-person Order.”

A grin enveloped them. “I’m talking about who will lead the Protectors if I am not around,” lazily added. “It’ll be Joren, is all. I expect you to give him the same unquestioning support that you do me.” He resisted the urge to wink at one of them; to do so while hooded would require some over the top elaborate gesture which would not have been subtle.

He gestured anew, upwards, and above them five double-pyramids appeared from the Gate, dropping down to their level slowly. They had a circle to the front of one face, which showed a cockpit. The overall shape was not too dissimilar to the Holocron design of one of them.

“The Celestials made use of these ships during the War of the Temporal Planes. They are essentially meditation devices; you can control them with your thoughts,” a flutter of his hands to them, nonspecific as ever, to get their attention. “If you get confused, look up Sith Meditation Spheres in your spare time; they copy the principle, as you’ll see from your Holocrons.” He paused. “But I am sure you’ll work it out for yourself, perhaps you could test yourself to work it out without consulting a Holocron, eh?”

He absently continued on. “Larger versions of them exist, called Tho Yor. They are warship analogs, but they can also be used as prisons, you see, and indeed the largest of them held the realm of Mortis. The Kwoth used them when they swapped sides, and renamed themselves the Kwa.”

Without further comment, he touched the Force to his feet and leapt into the now-open cockpit of the closest Tho Sphere. He peered down at them, huffing a bit more than one would have expected for such a minor exertion.

“Coming, boys and girls?”

He turned his Tho Sphere with minimal effort, and began to ascend, the cockpit closing.

TAG: @QueenSabe7, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Mitth_Fisto, @HanSolo29
    —-
    IC: Zinara

Elsewhere

For a long moment, Zinara debated calling it in, and requesting reinforcements to pull in Zas’tel and Fay’pel. There was already a tactical report out about the latter, as she tonight, because of some violence within the Defel community, which the authorities tended not to get too involved with unless blood was spilled. It was often an affront to the community leaders if they intervened before, who did a remarkable job of managing the clans and families within their remit.

But Fay’pel was not inside the community any longer, so Zinara could scoop up the Defel without any issue. But Zas’tel... he was a different issue. Whatever he had done to Fay’pel, it had made him helpless, and had not wounded him. He’d essentially performed a citizens arrest, which was legal. She was sure all manner of Defel would testify as to the pheromone marker, and it would be easy to chemically test for, no doubt.

Zinara checked herself, meeting Zas’tel’s gaze. She wanted to arrest him, to get back at the Master, but high command would, unless there was a very obvious threat, demure in the interests of keeping the peace, as they always did. But did she want to arrest him because he was that threat, or because of Vale. They were separated; not yet divorced, and they had yet to talk about it. They needed to, at some point, and if it was effecting her work...

She was supposed to be behind a desk, Zinara thought ruefully. Fine. A smile was arranged on to her face, and Zinara turned to take Fay’pel. “Thank you, Protector,” she said, adopting a formal response as she sheathed her sword. “I shall remember you to high command.”

“They’re not at the clock-tower today,” she said good naturedly. “They’ve gone to hills for their latest lesson, but I appreciate you’ve been given your chores to do first.”

With nothing else to say, she cuffed Fay’pel and called it in.

22. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Val’s Holocron shot out and landed in the Master’s hand. Vydra noted that this one was a cube unlike his. He wondered what secrets lay inside, had she been given a Truth as well?. Probably, it wouldn't surprise Vydra if the Master did tell them all secrets and yet were they as important as his?

“Go to the Star Wars, Chapter 21 BBY, Mortis, and what occurred there.”

This must be the dating system used in the future Vydra thought BBY? I wonder what happens to make this the central dating system. Perhaps all our Holocrons can tell all.

A small version of the Master appeared which was already familiar to Vydra from before. The story began:

During the Clone Wars the imbalance in the Force reached its zenith. Running out of time before his life ended thanks to said imbalance, the Celestial Father had no choice. Reaching outside of their mystical realm of Mortis, he drew the Chosen One Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka Tano to him. It is not entirely clear what occurred, for only those three Jedi, the Father, Son and Daughter were present. Secondary sources found within the New Jedi Temple revealed what Grandmaster Yoda told his then apprentice Luke Skywalker the tale, who, until events occurred later, assumed it was a mere parable. But what we do know is Anakin Skywalker refused to replace the Father, and by the end of the encounter, all three Celestials were dead, severing our connection to the Maker. Shortly after, the Republic fell and the Jedi were purged, and the divide between life and death ebbed - the Force itself was damaged, and there were none to hand to stop the newest and most devastating cycle of violence to befall the galaxy - violence which now threatened the seals upon the deceased Old Ones themselves, and indeed the avatar of Chaos.

The Master allowed it to stop.

“The World Between Worlds - the Light - is the hedge against chaos. It is not our place to use it wantonly, but what would happen if the Celestials themselves fell? Who would have the knowledge, or indeed the right, to fix what had occurred? To undo the End of Time?”

His hands broadened to encompass the four of them. “You.”

It seemed to Vydra that no matter what the Master said he always came away with more questions than answers. Although this time an answer had been given of sorts. To enter the gates was forbidden but if the Celestials fell then they would have to fix it to stop the end of time. And have to live with the consequences. With what he knew it could be an option but obviously like his defensive point of view that to be only be used when the time was right.

The words that it was forbidden to use it still rang around his head. Why be given a gift that you could not use? And why give such a gift? These questions were still moving around in his brain and he felt that the answers still hadn't been given. However this glimpse into the future told them what was to happen, perhaps they could avoid it somehow? Or was it all inevitable anyway?.

The Master turned his hand to Joren. “And in terms of my successor,” he adopted his amused tone again, “You came across a teeny bit paranoid there, Vydra! I blame Dunkeel and all his talk of culling.” A liquid shrug. “I’m not going to have you all go at it for the right to become my successor, my friends! Not at all. This is not a two-person Order.”

A grin enveloped them. “I’m talking about who will lead the Protectors if I am not around,” lazily added. “It’ll be Joren, is all. I expect you to give him the same unquestioning support that you do me.”

Vydra looked over to Joren and gave him a smile. He wasn't surprised though. With a personality like Joren’s Vydra supposed he would be chosen to lead, well him or Vale as she seemed military like. He would follow him of course, but with his Truth he had to watch and watch closely. You never knew what even your friends could do.

They hadn't cemented their friendship yet, hopefully they could do so in the future and work together. Perhaps they could build a good rapport together who knew.

The comment about him being slightly paranoid stung Vydra a little though. He had asked a genuine question and the others had a right to know whether they were good enough to be the Masters students. Being a successor was a grand honor, to have the knowledge and skills passed down and to lead if needed. Looks like Joren had won that particular contest.

From the white circle of doom came five double pyramids, each with a circle in the front which looked like cockpits. Vydra was impressed and awed by these things. He always wanted to have his own ship to travel the stars in. He had asked the philosophers and scholars who visited the library about their ships, how they worked what they could do. Some carried weapons and some did not. What mattered was that you could travel in them and Vydra had always wanted to fly one and get off Nouane.

"The Celestials made use of these ships during the War of the Temporal Planes. They are essentially meditation devices; you can control them with your thoughts,” a flutter of his hands to them, nonspecific as ever, to get their attention. “If you get confused, look up Sith Meditation Spheres in your spare time; they copy the principle, as you’ll see from your Holocrons.” He paused. “But I am sure you’ll work it out for yourself, perhaps you could test yourself to work it out without consulting a Holocron, eh?”

He absently continued on. “Larger versions of them exist, called Tho Yor. They are warship analogs, but they can also be used as prisons, you see, and indeed the largest of them held the realm of Mortis. The Kwoth used them when they swapped sides, and renamed themselves the Kwa.”

This was another test. And hopefully Vydra would not embarrass himself as he was always worried of doing. The ship may see his lack of Force powers and decide the hell with him i’m not flying with this one.

If there were weapons involved then it would take all sorts of concentration to try and get them to fire. But he would cross that bridge when he got to it. Time to take the plunge…

The master nimbly got into his and asked if they were coming to join them. The ship began to ascend with ease the cockpit closing as it lifted.

With concentration Vydra gently lifted himself up with the Force and tentatively settled into the cockpit. This was all so alien to him, having a ship and actually being in one for starters. Now all he had to do was make it lift up into the air and follow the Master.

Simple really.

Not.

Settling into his usual meditation pose which was legs crossed, hands in his lap and back ramrod straight his eyes looking out over the hilltop. He settled himself into his meditation rhythm, salm and measured breaths in and out. He had an image of the Master in his mind and stretched out with the Force to find him and his ship.

What did you say to a ship that could obey your commands just by thinking them?

So he gave it a simple command:

Follow.

He hoped this worked.

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @HanSolo29 , @QueenSabe7 , @Mitth_Fisto

23. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    Hillside, Nouane

Vale’s own tensions continued to mount while she waited for answers she feared would never come. She watched the old man swathed in black robes expectantly, fighting against the uncertainty that kept creeping in on the fringes of her mind. Doubt was the beginning of a treacherous path that lead to no other place but darkness… she knew this.

The tumultuous sea of emotions that crashed over her in waves was not making things easier, being acutely aware of the echoes of her own feelings in the others perpetuating harm more than offering comfort.

A light tug on one of her jacket pockets, the pocket where her holocron lie secure, and Vale’s eyes and thoughts were forcibly diverted in surprise. A covetous instinct kicked in as soon as she spied the small device already free of its safe space and flying away from her with speed. Vale twitched, nearly reaching to pull it back into her possession, but recovered quickly and just in time for it to come to a sudden halt at the center of where they all stood. There it hovered, just beyond it her Master working away at assuming control of its secrets.

One of her hands came up to rest over her chest, the noticeable uptick in her pulse instantly felt beneath her fingertips. It rose again their beloved leader activated the cube and like the flickering of a light being turned on after some time of disuse, a miniature holo of the man himself materialized in the air above.

“Go to the Star Wars, Chapter 21 BBY, Mortis, and what occurred there,” the Master commanded of her holocron. It dutifully replied.

During the Clone Wars the imbalance in the Force reached its zenith…

And so the new lesson went, several moments filled with another history lesson, puzzling information and names listed that made her yearn for more even though she could not understand precisely what it meant. Storing away a few bits as the recording cut off, her eyes once more climbed to the skies far above and to the realm that existed there for only them to see.

The World Between Worlds. A realm beyond their own that existed as the sole barrier between their Light and whatever Darkness may lurk just out of their reach. Vale’s face twisted in deep thought, considering not for the first time that a prominent threat may not be that far away after all. She could sense a stirring, something starting that was hidden, protected even. It was her purpose then, her truth, to be what stood in its way. To be the wall that would stop the inevitable should the Light fail.

It was disorienting, trying to make sense of how this was now her reality. Vale took a measured breath, drinking in the reassurance of the Master that flowed through the Force, tremors running down each of her limbs as she slowly exhaled. They would have him to guide them, successor be damned. He would not drop this on them and then just… go.

He was still lecturing and Vale listened intently as ever, once more grateful for the surge of lightness that he was offering.

“I’m talking about who will lead the Protectors if I am not around. It’ll be Joren, is all. I expect you to give him the same unquestioning support that you do me.”

What, came her immediate thought.

What? she dared say aloud, eyes darting to the writer in question and narrowing suspiciously in his direction. Then they bounced back to the Master, who had already begun to move along as if his announcement were nothing more than stating the time of day. There were serious issues with this declaration, there would be consequences, did none of her fellow Protector’s see this as instantly as she did? Least of all the man who had made it known? “How can you expect him to-“

With a groan, and great effort, Vale cut herself off. The line of mystically-shaped ships that were currently descending towards their location momentarily silenced her unease and provided an entirely adequate distraction. Temporarily, she decided as one of these alien vessels softly stopped close to her, though still a few dozen feet above where she stood. It shamed her to admit how it burned to watch the Master enter his own pod and begin his ascent, without giving any of them a chance to discuss the topic of Joren… but what more could she do now?

Vale’s eyes returned to the holo-star, examining and measuring. Had he been the one to request this appointment? Had the Master been grooming him this entire time, intending to abandon them all after? And for what? And why? She scowled at the thought, inadvertently giving Joren a look of great disapproval.

Without further pause she crouched and called upon the Force as she leapt up, gracefully lifted to the height of her personal Tho Sphere and touching down within without the slightest disruption. As the entry closed behind her, it become apparent just how foreign the interior was. There were no central controls and no steering mechanisms. In fact, there was literally nothing inside the small cockpit save for an indentation in the wall opposite her – a seat.

Straining to brush off all that she left behind on the hillside, Vale cautiously lowered down onto the smooth surface, one leg crossing in over the other. With a few more adjustments, she was comfortably situated.

They are essentially meditation devices; you can control them with your thoughts

Remembering, her eyes slid closed. “Calm yourself,” she whispered, breathing becoming more even and steady as her well-trained concentration settled in to go to work.

In her mind's eye Vale pictured the World Between Worlds as she had seen it from Nouane, the sounds of the voices and how they had drawn her in – how they had called out to her. A pulsing vibration ran beneath her body, the sphere responding to her thoughts. It elicited a genuine grin in excitement, though fleeting. The feeling remained even if its physical manifestation did not.

Show me the Light. Another, much stronger shudder answered her silent command and she impatiently peered out through half-open lids. The cockpit door she had come in through had gone transparent and she could tell that she was now ascending as the Master had before her. Instead of watching the world as she knew it fall away beneath her, as much as she wanted to, Vale returned to a meditative state for the duration of the trip. Too much had thrown her off balance and she was allowing it. At least for the purposes of these lessons, she needed to keep herself straight.

Of all the surprises and revelations of her recent life, this would be one time she aimed to be prepared for anything. As much as one could be prepared for the actual unknown.

TAGS: @Sinrebirth @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Mitth_Fisto @HanSolo29

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hillside, Nouane

Joren remained reticent as the currents of the Force encapsulated his body in his meditative state, providing stamina and strength for the uncertain course that lay ahead. If he was to lead, he would require these rejuvenating qualities to sustain him. In addition, he also sought answers to a great many mysteries, several of them spurred by the Master’s own teachings, but before he could even crack the tip of that iceberg, his concentration was abruptly severed by the old man’s melodious voice.

“Go to the Star Wars, Chapter 21 BBY, Mortis, and what occurred there,” the man uttered softly, his fingers quivering slightly as he manipulated a cube-shaped Holocron into the palm of his hand.

A miniature version of the Master then materialized, prompting the start of a new tale:

During the Clone Wars the imbalance in the Force reached its zenith…

Issuing a soft gasp as he was thrust crudely back to reality, Joren blinked a few times to reorient himself with his surroundings, his blue eyes instinctively going to the illicit circle in the sky as the Master began the lesson. It was almost like a fly being drawn far too close to the light; the old man had warned them about the potential dangers of entering the World Between Worlds, and yet he found that he could not look away, not when so much was at stake. It was as if he was struggling with a paradox of his own, one that was slowly pulling him apart inside and scattering him in several different directions. He recognized it as the onset of doubt, and he knew that it would only continue to fester if he did not try to limit its effects before it was too late. It would ultimately lead him down a path that was far more dangerous than the one he currently tread.

In the end, he found little solace in the Master’s words when he addressed the topic directly – that they were the only ones who possessed the knowledge, strength, and ability to fix that which would be set undone if the Celestials fell. The End of Time. Isn’t that what he had already witnessed through his own Holocron? If so, it wasn’t a matter of if they needed to use their right to enter this forbidden gateway...but when. It was a heavy burden to bear, and again Joren inwardly shuddered at the ramifications.

Were the others also aware of this inevitability?

With a steadying breath, Joren angled his chin to regard his peers and opened himself to the Force, searching its many facets for anything that may indicate an acute awareness about their unfolding situation. All he got back in return was the same ripple as before – confusion, apprehension, and wonder. Maybe even some hints that bordered on fear.

But then the dynamic drastically changed when the Master decided to reveal Joren’s Truth, announcing to the others that he was to lead once the old man retired from his duties. While he had sought the man for advice on how to proceed with that, this isn’t exactly what he had in mind. A rift cut through the group that nearly took his breath away.

Vydra met this news with elation and acceptance, the older man angling a smile at his old friend to express his support, but then there was Vale. Poor, aggrieved Vale. Her dismay spiked in the Force before she blurted out hastily, “How can you expect him to-”

Joren clenched his jaw and inclined his head, almost challenging her to continue with her line of thinking. She didn’t take the bait, and rightfully so. Now was not the time nor the place to air grievances about the Master’s decisions.

Or was it by the will of the Force that he had been chosen?

And yet, despite the personal attack, Joren had to admit that he still felt some sympathy for Vale. The altercation at the restaurant continued to haunt him; he couldn’t even begin to imagine the pain and grief it had caused her in the intervening weeks. Where did she stand with her wife? Did she find her peace, or was she still struggling to pick up the pieces? Either way, it was understandable that she would project her anger and frustration onto him as a coping mechanism. It was yet another reason for him to get her alone so that he could have a private chat with her about what had happened.

He started to ease his way over toward her to initiate these proceedings, but he soon became distracted by the strange hovering spheres that descended from the gateway far above their heads. The Master quickly explained the delicate nature of these ships, mainly that they were controlled through thoughts and emotions. Even the Celestials had utilized them previously, and now it would be their turn to try their luck.

With only a simple provocation to join him, the Master leapt up to enter one of the Spheres and began to ascend into the charcoal sky.

Joren stared for a long moment, his mouth still unhinged as he marveled at the perplexity of these new vessels...these Tho Spheres. It was an odd transition to make after the World Between Worlds and the history lesson through the Holocron, but perhaps this is exactly what Joren needed at this juncture – to clear his mind and to focus only on his own faculties and that of his newly acquired Sphere; to render complete control.

Casting his gaze one last time at Vale, he glimpsed her bounding up to claim her Sphere before turning to regard the one that had settled a fair distance above his own head. With narrowed eyes, Joren had to smirk despite himself; this whole scenario seemed so bizarre, and yet he felt compelled to satisfy his curiosity. Perhaps it was the scholar inside of him.

With a Force-augmented leap, Joren climbed aboard the Tho Sphere and quickly got acquainted with the interior. Aside from a deep depression along one wall that resembled a workbench and the cockpit window itself, there were no visible controls. That made sense, considering that this vessel used mind control and thoughts for propulsion.

Inhaling deeply, Joren closed his eyes and stretched out with his feelings to link himself to the Sphere. As he regulated his breathing, the ship seemed to respond, pulsing fervently beneath the palms of his hands...almost as if it were alive. It filled Joren with a sense of purpose and excitement, unlike anything he had experienced before.

He was one with his Sphere.

And so came his first command:

Rise and follow.

TAG: @Sinrebirth; @Jerjerrod-Lennox; @QueenSabe7; @Mitth_Fisto

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Lesson Three

The World Between Worlds

Up they went, and within a moment, they were in. The World Beyond Worlds was none too similar to the twilight place that they had left; black starry backdrops with pathways of white... and, in the distance, portals of white.

As he drifted up in the relatively spacious Tho Sphere, the Master wondered about Vale’s cut-off response. Was it a cry for the Master to remain? Or, an issue with Joren? He tapped his chin in thought. But, even while ostensibly alone, he didn’t draw down his hood.

He dare not.

Landing, the Master stepped out, waiting for them to join him, noting that Dunkeel was lagging. “The World Between Worlds. Whilst this place will reconfigure itself to match your impression of reality, this is its default setting, as decided by the Celestials so long ago.”

“Access to this place is the true Light that you protect. If the World Between Worlds is lost, or summoned by a Dark One, all of reality is in danger.”

With a fluttering gesture, he drew four circles towards them, which rolled and rolled. They came close, and stopped, forming a surrounding wall of entrances. “These four are open. If matters went awry, someone would be able to access these key moments in history, and ensure that they pass as they should.”

Three of them were visible to them, but the fourth was dimmed, for now.

[​IMG]

The Last Stand

[​IMG]

Knights of the Last Republic

[​IMG]

138 ABY: Together; Alone

He lazily noted to them with a hand. “Your Holocron’s would tell you otherwise, after all.”

An quirk of an eyebrow, felt in the Force, but not seen, filled them with his unbridled curiosity. “No?”

TAG: @HanSolo29, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @QueenSabe7, @Mitth_Fisto
    —-

Hours later

What became known as a Mind Shard was in essence a projected thought, but rather than across a wide area, but a specific point, focused and sharpened to the point of forcing it through the targets mental defences.

Thus, shard.

It was considered to be a ‘dark side’ power as usually such a act required a degree of brutality to it, and wrapped within the arrowhead was a malicious thought. Of course, it could also be said that any sufficiently urgent cry for help or urgency would warrant such a forceful action.

Much like now.

”ZAS’TEL!”

He was being summoned to the hilltop.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019