main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars CLOSED A Star Wars Story: Between Epitaphs

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Sinrebirth , Apr 2, 2019.

1. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Dunkeel
    Clock-Tower, Facing the Darkness

To his demand for clarity the Darkness smiled, slightly, becoming almost solid, a reflection of Dunkeel. In a moment, it split, six more bodies emerging in an instant to surround him. They were all different. A shell game of forms, of purpose.

Then the Darkness regrouped as his original shape, gathered up so they were at eye-level. A pillar of something, or nothing. Sight and sound, treacherous things meant only to distract. Yet he stayed with his eyes open, hish ears listening.

"All your doubts split into so many different versions... how interesting that you become... shapeless, in the times to come, your desire for certainty echoing into time itself..." Now, however, it wasn't speaking as thoughts in his mind, but with a mouth that moved, and spoke, and verbalised; as the discussion continued on, the Darkness was becoming more solid... more... real.

A pause, and then a reluctance was evident in the expression of the man. "I revealed myself so that I might parse upon the Master's teachings; his goals. He knew that the Twilight Wars are coming, did he not? We have a vested interested in the Dark succeeding, no? Though your Master seems to want a different war to what we expected..."

A flicker of shadow. A gesture with a shaped point.

Dunkeel's mouth hung a skew at this, like an irritated creature ready to bite the offending finger encroaching upon it's space. Eyes and ears open, but there not what he focused on, he focused on the Force.

"Touch the ring, see what it reaps... or perhaps, ignite your blade, and show me what you bear."

"Destroy me, for I seek not your petrified balance, reality frozen by the status quo for all of time, growth stunted and dead, but chaos, the powers of war unchained and progress unfettered, consuming any all in it's path!"

The shadow grew immense and loomed over him, but did not strike.

"Or should I go?"

"
    You are hard to understand, yet are simple." he growled out as he closed his eyes at the last. His fingers spread and in that instance he pushed. The ring floated infront of the finger for a moment before it shot forward, seeking the pointing darkness. Accelerated to go fast, to go hard upon it. He did not care if it tore into the hand or whatever it was seeking to sit upon, only that it would it. Would find purchase. The world faded as only the Force became the color and the truth of his reality, his way to see where to push and where to find purchase.

"Take your questions, your answers, and go. For I do not seek petrified balance, nor I do seek your chaos. I seek the path. I am one with the Force, the Force is with me. Your illusions, delusions, are not." He stood there, unignited saber in one hand, empty hand with a claw pointing at the darkness, eyes closed, nostrils flared, hissing a steady stream of awareness as the Force was everything.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

2. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Zas'tel
    Pesegam

The defel felt better, like the disease that had plagued his body had abated. It was some much needed relief, it felt like it was getting worse as he got closer. Now, he felt almost normal. He was sure that it was still tearing through his body but it didn't feel as bad. As she walked down the hall he could feel himself standing taller and taller. Though he kept his stance lowered skulking through the shadows his feet silent. Some habits don't just die.

You come here like he did.

Zas'tel's ears twitched though he couldn't pick up where the voice was coming from. It sounded as if it was in his mind. Reverberating through everything around him. The voice came from everywhere and nowhere all at the same time.

Or he will.

Walking down the hall he moved toward the light though he didn't reach it before he entered a wide room, with a balcony looking down upon him. He felt eyes all around him looking at him peering into him, looking through him. Thrity beings clothed in darkness, all seemingly lead by one with white eyes.

Do you seek our knowledge? You may have to kill us for it.

"I am prepared to do what I must…" He said preparing himself for battle. Normally he wouldn't wish to engage in such a stand up fight. However needs must. And he was feeling much better. "Though I would prefer not to fight unnecessarily."

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Darkness
    Clock-Temple, Nouane, just after the lesson

"You are hard to understand, yet are simple." he growled out as he closed his eyes at the last. His fingers spread and in that instance he pushed. The ring floated infront of the finger for a moment before it shot forward, seeking the pointing darkness. Accelerated to go fast, to go hard upon it. He did not care if it tore into the hand or whatever it was seeking to sit upon, only that it would it. Would find purchase. The world faded as only the Force became the color and the truth of his reality, his way to see where to push and where to find purchase.

The Darkness curved around the ring, not wanting to touch it, and then, held it in a bubble of the Force above a writhing hand.

"What a curious item. How could the Master have expected my interference...?"

But then Dunkeel shifted, and it refocused, casting the ring aside.

"Take your questions, your answers, and go. For I do not seek petrified balance, nor I do seek your chaos. I seek the path. I am one with the Force, the Force is with me. Your illusions, delusions, are not." Dunkeel stood there, unignited saber in one hand, empty hand with a claw pointing at the darkness, eyes closed, nostrils flared, hissing a steady stream of awareness as the Force was everything.

A sniff.

"Fine. I shall go, and reap my destruction, and you, Protector, will answer for it."

With that, the shadow dispersed, and was gone.

Gone.

Silence prevailed, and the ring merely settled on the floor of the room, glinting slightly, turning of its own volition, this way, and then that, before it stilled.

That was that. But what was that?

There was not much else but a nagging feeling upon the Chistori. A sensation that he had, perhaps, forgotten something. But, at the same time, he had his jobs to get to, also, and this little creature had distracted him from meditating on the murder... but had also claimed responsibility for it.

The Force was silent on the point.

For now.

Dunkeel had the initiative for a moment, and it would be his decision what to do.

TAG: @Mitth_Fisto
    ---
    IC: White Eyes

Pesegam, or, Korriban, or Moraband... depending on the when, who, and how...

"I am prepared to do what I must… though I would prefer not to fight unnecessarily."

The words echoed back at him, rebounding from the walls. The thirty cloaked men and women snorted slightly.

White Eyes allowed a grin to roll into the Force.

We are not truly here, as you can tell. The Force is a paradox, at this point.

White Eyes' voice grew introspective, but the dark side of his existence reverberated into Zas'tel.

It was a chance encounter in my youth, and I never knew who the Master was... back when I still had my red hair. I gather that you don't, either, serving a Master with a plan that is barely decipherable, but couched to achieve some mythical goal. You enable that, and seek to discover how to surpass death, much as I did after I met him...

The others rustled, and one, a woman rasped.

We don't have time for this; the moment will pass.

Of course.
    A gesture, and the area illuminated, revealing a pedestal and a Holocron standing upon it.

What would become known as the Dark Holocron.

The first Holocron. Within it is seventy five thousand years of Sith history. The species, the Daritha's, the wars against the Celestials. It was this Holocron that your Master discovered, and brought here, revealing, he said, that the eldritch Old Ones were not yet fully defeated, merely waiting for their chance to breach the walls and end time itself. If one escaped, it would be the Apocalypse itself... but if they all did?

It will not yield its secrets to a man in a cloak... it is said that after he dived into the depths of the Dark Holocron, the Master donned his black-cloak, designed to hide him from the dark side, and never removed it again.

In
    my time it is missing. My quest for immortality thwarted by the Jedi. But you... you have it here, and now...

Are you ready to make that sacrifice for your absent Master?

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @QueenSabe7, @HanSolo29 (combo's to finish off, and then the game will move on to bring you to the same point; a week after the Masters passing)

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The following is a combo post with Sinrebirth – thank you so much! :D

IC: Dr. Joren and Tera Graal
    Graal Household, Capital City, Nouane

The familiar sights and sounds of their quaint, little home immediately tempered Joren’s insecurities and helped him settle into a more relaxed state of mind. Even as he crossed the threshold and entered the parlor, he could see the large bay window that afforded a picturesque view of the riverfront district beyond – a striking reminder of the beauty and tranquility he shared here with his wife. It was in stark contrast to the negative energy that defined his existence with the other Protectors at the Clock Tower. In this setting, at least he could forget and live a normal life.

If only for a little while.

Inhaling deeply, Joren paused and took a moment to savor the pleasant aromas wafting in from the kitchen. Judging by the mixture of herbs and seasonings that tingled his nose with each breath, he had to guess that Tera had prepared her famed nerf chowder and biscuits for dinner. A crooked smile spread over his features at that thought. She certainly knew how to give him a warm welcome.

Dumping his travel duffel on the table beside the door, Joren followed the delightful scent to the lounge, where he found Tera lumbering under the weight of her bulging belly. She was in high spirits, and they often made light of her delicate condition, but now the Force beamed in a very different way. It was of love and affection.

As he approached, Tera leaned back from placing the silverware and quickly slipped into their usual rapport. "So how did it go today, Master Graal?" she asked with a curious glint in her chestnut eyes.

Despite her lighthearted tone, a shadow crossed over Joren’s countenance and he inwardly winced. It reminded him of his disastrous first meeting with the others – of Vale’s petulance, the dire conversation with Vydra, Dunkeel’s advice, and the Master’s profound influence still lingering over everything they were trying to establish. He would have preferred a reprieve from the prophetic talk of a bleak future, but Tera had brought all of that rising back to the surface by asking one very simple question.

Offering his wife a small scoff, the doctor gripped the back of his chair and shrugged stiffly. “Like any other first day at a new job,” he began carefully, his brow furrowing slightly. “Exhausting and long. We have some growing pains to work through, but I suppose that’s normal when you’re trying to coordinate with four distinct personalities. Everyone has their own unique ideas on how to proceed. It’ll take time before we can make progress.”

There was obviously more to the story, but he trailed off and quickly changed the subject. "How about you?" Joren continued as he inclined his chin to regard her. "How are you holding up?"

"I ate my weight in bananas," Tera said, nonplussed. She had exaggerated but the woman had eaten a lot of bananas during the pregnancy. "The baby has been very active today - wants out."

She huffed a little and she sat up slightly more to give him a kiss. Gently Tera turning the topic back where she had asked, she spoke softly. "Managing a group is something that you are used to, usually. Projects, and all that." She wondered aloud. "If you are having this much stress over it, there is more going on you're letting on. Interpersonal drama you can usually handle."

Tera took a bit of a breath. "You can't afford to be distracted when the baby is here, Joren. I don't want to be difficult but you're juggling too much again - I don't want you to not be around..." Clearly, she'd been thinking about it. "... but I also want to help. You're not alone - did you want me to invite Zinara and Vale over...?"

A thin smile crossed his lips as he leaned down to reciprocate her kiss, almost as a means to silence her concerns. She was right, of course; Tera always had a keen eye for seeing through his tough exterior to decipher his innermost thoughts. And in this case, she had called him out on his bluff.

That’s probably why she had suggested, or perhaps teased the idea of Vale and her wife joining them for dinner, Joren realized with some disdain. He inwardly bristled at the notion of having that petulant woman inside his home, though the only outward sign of his displeasure came in the form of a small snort. A part of him was curious to see whether Tera would catch on again.

“Uh, no, that won’t be necessary,” Joren replied evenly, his hands wandering down to her waist to frame her enlarged stomach. “I was actually hoping for a nice, quiet evening where we could relax. We don’t need company.”

Joren stepped forward to give her another kiss, this time on the forehead. “And you don’t need the stress,” he scolded her lightly. “You’re more susceptible to that than I am, especially in your condition. It’s not healthy for you or the baby to worry about things at work. I’ll manage like I always do, and when the time comes, I’ll be here. I promise.”

He paused for a moment to purse his lips. “No distractions.”

She allowed him to kiss her, and then, in true Tera fashion, smiled sweetly. "So it is Vale who is causing you all these restless nights." It was a double entendre, but she was trying to get a smile out of him. Joren was always too serious.

But before he could reply she stood and placed a finger on his lips. "Nope. No qualifications; the nursery is ready, the rooms are settled, I have every supply imaginable." Clearly she had moved on to the idea of transporting themselves to the Clock-Tower, but it was a temporary thought. "If we are not moving immediately, I'd rather not have that stress on me. But it would be nice to see someone other than you or the mail-lady..."

It was more teasing, but there it was. They had a matter of weeks until the baby was born, but to be isolated day in and day out was inevitably going to drive her mad. "Oh, he kicked." She quickly grabbed his hand and pressed it to her belly to join the sensation.

Any negative thoughts Joren had over his wife’s assertion that Vale had been responsible for his anxiety instantly vanished when she pulled his hand to her stomach. He could feel the subtle vibrations beneath his palm, and he instinctively reached out with the Force to touch the child within. This elicited another series of kicks that brought a wide grin to Joren’s lips.

He?” he repeated with an incredulous scoff, his expression reflecting his surprise and joy. It was such an intimate moment, and he cherished this, especially in the face of so much adversity. “Are you sure? Not that I don’t trust you, but…”

Joren trailed off before he could condemn himself with his bumbling ways. Instead, he rocked back on his heels and took this time to simply study her, admiring her delicate features and allowing himself to relish in how alive she made him feel. It was unlike anything he had ever experienced before, and it ultimately made him wonder about his path and what his purpose was with the Protectors. Was he making the right choice? Had he become too consumed by his own insecurities and selfish desires?

"It's a guess, sweetie, nothing more," Tera said, teasingly. Joren was processing something though, and she let him for that moment. He seemed to be experiencing some kind of revelation.

What if the answers to everything were right here?

The holocron, the Master, the World Between Worlds, the end of time…

“You know, I was thinking,” Joren muttered in a husky tone, the words spilling from his mouth before he could stop to realize what he was saying. “What if we postpone the move? You have everything in order here, plus you admitted that it’s too stressful. Maybe we should wait until after our little guy is born.”

Tera perked up. "I mean, it would make things easier. But," she said, mock-seriously. "You'd have to be here more. The next 'official' meeting with the others isn't until next week, right? We need to make a plan for after that."

“I’m sure we’ll have some options,” Joren surmised with a small shrug. A brief shadow seemed to pass over his features when she reminded him about the meeting, though he quickly brushed that aside. “But honestly, I’m not too concerned about that right now. All that matters is that I’ll be here with you. If it becomes a greater issue, I’m sure the others will find a way to fill the void, although I sometimes wonder if they’re better off without a leader. Certain individuals seem to think so, anyway.”

Again, Vale’s insolent attitude came rushing up to the surface and made him anxious.

Biting his lower lip, Joren leaned close and nestled against her neck, making a conscious effort to thrust those negative thoughts from his mind; he wanted to savor this moment for as long as possible without any distractions. “I know the Master gave me this responsibility, but--I don’t know. I’m a kriffin’ HoloNet personality and a part-time professor. I’m not exactly the most qualified.”

He scoffed and angled his chin down to plant a trail of kisses along her jawline. “I just need some time away from there – to think and rejuvenate myself.”

"Wellllll," Tera said, almost leadingly. "We do have a baby due, and it's not as if it would be an excuse to take some time to yourself during that... especially if you need to rest now..." She shrugged. "We won't be getting much sleep when he is here, after all," Tera added, again referring to the child as male without any knowledge whatsoever save for mother's instinct.

"There is never going to be the perfect time for you to gracefully disengage, honey. Why not just take advantage of the fact that you have a completely valid reason to detach?" Tera opined, before rushing to add. "You have nearly a week until the next meeting after all, so you don't need to agree with me now."

It would be great to reconnect with her partner before they had absolutely no time to themselves, after all.

Joren exhaled deeply through his nose and allowed himself a thin smile. He knew there was no need to mull over his options; this decision felt so right to him. In fact, he sensed it reverberating through the Force, subtly nudging at the edge of his awareness to make it official. “I don’t need the full week,” he stated firmly, lowering his head slightly to stare into her chestnut eyes. “I already know I want to do this. That’s not the issue.”

He rocked back on his heels and pursed his lips in thought. “But I should still have a plan,” he surmised after a moment. Despite his desire to simply allow the Protectors to sort out their own mess in his absence, he knew that would never work. It would only divide them further and make him look weak. He couldn’t afford that at this crucial juncture.

No, he needed something more concrete. And if he was completely honest, the solution itself was fairly simple.

“I’ll announce it formally at the next meeting, but as far as I’m concerned, our time starts now.” His eyes drifted from her face, now losing himself to his own inner musings. “I'm just not sure if it’s necessary to leave one of the others in charge. Maybe all I need is someone to act as my eyes and ears while I’m gone. I could even use it as a teaching tool.”

Narrowing his eyes, Joren finally returned his gaze to his wife. “What do you think of Vydra? Do you remember him?”

Tera thought about it, but she didn't have to think for long. "I don't entirely remember him, but I'm sure I've met him. Baby brain, sorry," she said, smiling slightly.

"Maybe you should let them decide who is in-charge while you're away. If you appoint someone, you may just drive a wedge between them and Vale..." Tera smiled more. "Unless you make her the leader."

"But I do want you to keep in touch. It's paternity - you're not gone, after all." She shrugged slightly. "I'm sure you have some papers to brush up on after all."

“There will always be a backlog. It’s the nature of the position,” Joren remarked in a subdued tone. The grin was still evident on his features, though it failed to reach his eyes. It was one indication that Tera’s suggestion had rankled him – perhaps more than he cared to admit. And once again, it was all over Vale and the idea of granting her any kind of allowance. Like an insatiable hunger, she continued to pervade his thoughts, enticing him to behave in a certain manner and influencing his every decision. It was all reactionary, not proactive.

And he hated it. This was not who he was at all. He hated that she could get under his skin in this way. It was as if he couldn’t get enough...

Clamping down on that thought, Joren tried to thrust it from his mind as he tightened their embrace. “Although, I do get what you’re saying,” he relented quietly, his blue eyes shifting to focus on her face once more. “It could be an opportunity for them to find their way, but…” He trailed off, his forehead creasing slightly. “I can’t willingly appoint Vale as interim leader. You don’t...understand. It just doesn’t feel right. If she takes control of her own accord, that’s another matter entirely, but that’s a choice she will have to make.

“I will say this, though,” he raised a brow and flashed a mischievous smirk. “It will be one hell of an experiment. She wasn’t shy about expressing her views to maintain a unified system; she was against the idea of having one, singular leader. If she pursues this, it will reveal so much about her as a person. I’m almost tempted to do it just to see how it will unfold…”

The doctor canted his head to the side and shrugged, clearly emphasizing his playful mood. “But I'm not that cruel. I think I’ll take your advice and let things play out naturally instead – give them some room to breathe and then consult with Vydra to stay in the loop.” His smile widened as he leaned down and brushed his lips against hers. “Does that sound like a fair plan?”

She kissed him back, fully, grinning. “Was that kiss part of your master plan?”

“If it’ll help persuade you to my side,” he murmured in an alluring tone, his voice dropping to a husky whisper, “then sure, consider it a package deal.”

Contended, she nodded. “Leaving it open-ended will make it better for them - if it goes wrong, you can just step back in... and the perception that you’re being a controlling so and so will be gone if they need help.”

“Who knows?” Tera smiled. “Perhaps some space is what you need from it all. Space is perspective after all.”

Joren gave a derisive snort and shook his head, an impish smirk turning up one corner of his mouth as he started to fully relax into himself. “I know it’s what I need, sweetheart,” he corrected in that same roguish voice. “It’s what I’m aiming for…” He trailed off and leaned back a moment to regard her, knowing she would likely catch on to his deliberate omission. But in this case, it was all part of his friendly banter. “Well, and to spend time with you, of course…”

Issuing a soft sigh, Joren grew serious once more as he moved in to rest his chin against her head. “I do appreciate the help, though,” he conveyed quietly, making a point to express how thankful he was for this strong, remarkable woman in his arms. “Anything to sway their perception and bring things into a better light. I can’t lose them before I even have a chance to begin. And at this point, we must learn to work together. Too much is at stake. This will go a long way in terms of making things right.”

Pulling back slightly, he sought her lips one last time and ushered her away with a passionate kiss. “Thank you.”

TAG: @Sinrebirth (@QueenSabe7; @Jerjerrod-Lennox – for mention)

5. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    OOC: A combo with @Sinrebirth

IC: Vydra Delomeux, Erwen

Another trip away another journey back.

It seemed Vydra was only just getting settled again before the call of the Force once again happened. No time for pleasure, just business.

As he came back into the city he hoped that his family's efforts to reunite the city and to stop the division were working. After all with the Twilight Wars approaching they had to be ready and to at least have some hope. It was better than what was happening anyway.

The Force alerted him to a presence nearby. It seemed this man wanted to have a word. Vydra turned to meet him and he introduced himself as Erwen, a Captain. Perhaps he knew Vale, and that thought was possibly confirmed when he said he had spoken to two others.

"Indeed I do have time for a drink Captain" he said with a smile, "I have just returned from a trip and am quite thirsty. Your choice"

"Indeed I have chosen to save this city, well me and my family have anyway. This city has a cancer and that cancer is division. If we are to survive what is to come and clean up the mess afterwards we need hope. And hope and peace will breathe new life into this city, the city we both call home"

Erwen allowed his expression to remain neutral, though a surge of excitement caught him. Straight talking was just what he wanted here. "Please, follow me." Erwen gestured Vydra into the nearby pub.

He went to order, but continued speaking. "I must say that it is refreshing to hear a wider thought process being applied to the City's survival. The cancer is division, and I would eliminate it, if I could. I spoke to your colleagues, as I say, and they all seem similarly dedicated to saving the City."

"What is your poison?" Erwen gestured to the bar.

"Something soft" Vydra responded "I am still on duty after all" he chuckled at that, it seemed he was never off duty.

He folded his arms his blue eyes entirely focused on Erwen's face "No doubt my colleagues have said the same thing. Vale no doubt wants to save the Masters legacy, Dunkeel would strike a balance, Joren would ask a lot of questions but he would give this city someone to look up to. Me? I want this city to stop the radical thoughts, the xenophobia, the social divisions. There is something that is about to happen, something that could devastate this place. And we need to be united to face it"

Vydra sighed " Divisions have marred the Protectors too and that needs to stop. If we cannot work together then who can the citizen's look to to protect them?"

Erwen returned with two matching soft beverages, sitting lightly. "Divisions among the Protectors?" He opined.

"Is this why Zas'tel is missing? Or why you all scatter at the end of the meetings? Under the Master it seemed to be likely that you would all move in, and abandon the trappings of your old lives."

"Joren I have yet to speak to, as a matter of fact," Erwen sipped the starfruit juice, savoring the tanginess as he did.

Vydra sipped his juice thanking Erwen and relishing the taste. Refreshing. "It seems it is the Master himself has divided us, Vale thinks he is the messiah whereas me and Joren are skeptical of what he has left behind, his legacy, our separate missions and it is those secrets and lies that have divided us. Dunkeel is walking the tightrope of balance and Zas'tel has disappeared. I think he has disappeared on his own mission given to him by the Master no doubt"

He shook his head again " The problem is bringing us all together to fight what is coming. And someone has to tell them straight, put aside our differences or we might as well stop now. Besides I couldn't move in properly at the moment, would miss my family too much"

Vydra smiled "Prepare yourself for a lot of questions with Joren".

Erwen paused, sipping again. “I had heard that about Joren, I must admit. It works for a scholar or teacher, but not entirely so with leadership... though I find myself with more questions than answers nowadays.”

“Shelving for a moment the Masters ultimate intentions, and the division that you have just revealed...” Erwen blinked. Vale has presented a more positive view of matters but Vydra was casually revealing so much - almost vehemently, it could be said. He was reappraising his impression of the Protector Master with every statement.

“What exactly is coming?”

Vydra supposed that he was probably being too casual and saying things he shouldn't. But Erwen would eventually find out anyway, he was a military man. And the military had resources that probably even the Protectors knew nothing about.

Erwen asked his next question and Vydra knew he had to be careful here and not try and cause a panic.

He took another sip of his drink projecting calm in the Force "I can't tell you what it is because I honestly don't know. But the Master foresaw something, something that could change us all, change the galaxy we know. Who is the enemy?. Is it darkness?. An alien race hell bent on destruction?All I do know is that we must be prepared to fight and to do that, we need everyone. Not just the military and us Protectors we need everyone to have hope and the desire to make sure whoever or whatever comes does not prevail".

Erwen didn't like that uncertainty, and more slowly slipped. "I don't know what to do with that... be prepared? Recruit more men and women? Arm ourselves in anticipation?"

Things were notoriously vague when it involved the Master, but invariably it turned out for the better. His foresight was renowned by all, and nobody understood the mechanic which allowed him to see so well. But of course nobody, not even Vydra, knew that he had simply sent Zas'tel into the future with a Forcesaber containing his spectral eye.

Even if Vydra did know... how would he communicate that?

The officer frowned with his own thoughts, let alone asking how the Master knew, a question Vydra could not answer. "If the Master foresaw something, then we need to know more about it. Did he leave a record we could use? A battle-plan, so to speak?"

Vydra snorted "The Master only told us to prepare for what is coming he didn't leave much behind. Just gave us our own missions and disappeared. Most of his lessons were spoken with riddles and more questions than answers. All I was given was that I had to prepare for what was coming and ensure the future was secure to prepare the next generation"

He sipped his drink again "I'm not saying we should arm everyone but the military should be prepared but the public should not be panicked. We want hope not fear, fear brings darkness. And if we let ourselves slip into darkness, it wins."

He shrugged "Whether our destinies our determined or whether we can change things it is up to us to make sure we prepare ourselves"

Erwen wondered about that. "So we'd be turning against the teachings of the Master..." he said slowly. "His prophecies." The Captain nodded. "If they were warnings, so we need to deal with it. We can't just nod and accept it."

The officer looked down at his drink. "Do we need to carry the others along with us, or are we acting unilaterally, then?" Erwen was clearly sorting through competing priorities, and Vale and Dunkeel were at the forefront of his thoughts.

“Perhaps we are going against his teachings, perhaps we are not. But what matters is that we stop fighting amongst ourselves and start fighting together, to show whoever or whatever comes that we will not be cowed by fear, or despair, or anxiety. We will be united as one. Protectors and citizens, military and government. I don’t want to see this city harmed in any way, citizens fleeing in terror. I want us to protect the city we love, protect the galaxy we serve, and serve it with pride”

“If they were warnings we need to heed them and perhaps being given advanced warning may help us survive” he smiled a little.

But Vydra’s face did turn sad “I don’t know about the others, whether they share the same ideals. We seem to be more divided than together. I can try to put my point across but the only one I can see possibly running along the same lines is Joren. Vale and Dunkeel i’m not quite sure about. Vale will feel that i’m going against the Master, Dunkeel will walk the line as he always does. I can only try and tell them what I have had to do and perhaps they may understand. I hope we don’t fracture otherwise it will be me on my own”

Erwen nodded slowly. There were impediments to the unity that Vydra was suggesting. The City was by its nature four very distinct beasts, and that was by design of the Lords and Lady.

"I understand," he said, quietly. "We'll need to deal with the politicians, mind you. They'll resist anything that chips away at their power base." He mentally tried to keep track of his tasks. "I could approach the Lords and Lady of the Circle with a proposal that the Protectors meet with them as soon as time allows - you can take it to your Protectors and then we can move forward?"

"I'll connect you to the Lords and Lady, and you can connect the Protectors..." Erwen was thinking aloud. "Maybe we go forward without them, if the Protectors cannot unify on this point, but I'm sure we can get things moving in a positive direction regardless."

He felt infinitely better to have a plan, or indeed plans.

"I can try and unite them but I foresee a problem with Vale. She is the most difficult as she is pretty set in her ways and thoughts. If she even suspects that I may have bad thoughts about the Master's intentions she will snap. But perhaps my ultimatum will either make them come together or we will split" he shrugged "Perhaps it only needs to have one person to change things. I hope not"

"The Lords and Lady should understand one thing, I'm not looking to take their power away from them. I'm trying to make them understand that this city is running out of time to save itself and we need to make sure we gain their trust and influence" he narrowed his eyes at Erwen and probed with the Force "And I need to know that your intentions are genuine…."

"A split?" Erwen repeated, and then refocused on the latter half of the last statements. His surprise was almost grateful, as he was beginning to worry that the Protectors were so polarised that any reasonable voice could turn their heads... and the Lords and Lady could come across very reasonable, after all.

Vydra would sense no deceit, for there was none. Erwen was a true believer in Nouane, and he was bewildered by the enormity of much of what the Protector had said, but wasn't steered from his resolve.

"I will do whatever you wish of me, Master Protector," Erwen said, resolute. "But I must urge caution. If the Protectors split? Then I fear for what will happen."

Vydra drank more of his drink "As do I Captain, as do I" he didn't want the Protectors to split up, no way. Losing his friend Joren would finally break him apart as if he hadn't been broken apart already. Losing the others would be a big blow too as he was just getting to know them too.

But their secrets had them distrusting each other. The only two that still seemed to be sticking together were him and Joren. And he needed to have a chat with him as a friend, not just as Protectors. They needed to work together if the others decided to split off. But could their friendship still be wrecked if he told all?. Maybe. But he needed to talk to him and soon.

"I hope Captain that we can try and give this city some hope for the future and i'm not talking about just now. I'm talking about centuries to come, so they can look to the Protectors for protection not squabbling amongst ourselves. And so that the students of the future want to be Protectors and not look at us with disdain"

"We all have different missions to undertake for the Master but one thing is for certain. We protect the Light and we protect this city or we fall into darkness. And with your help we can do that. We cannot do this alone"

He raised his glass "To Nouane and the future"

Bolstered by Vydra's final assurances, Erwen raised his glass also. "To Nouane and the future."

His drink drained and finished, Erwen placed it on the table and, satisfied with the overall result of today's meeting, nodded to the Protector Master. "I must depart, I am afraid, and resume my rounds." He stood, checking his attire is appropriate. "Am I take it that your wandering in and around the City, indeed, even outside it, are part of your personal mission to protect the Light?"

Erwen looked curious. For everything that Vydra had said, his furtive behavior was an odd enough thing.

It was the last thing he wanted to know, and he also wanted Vydra to know that he had been noticed.

Well it seems that my journey's have not gone unnoticed. Perhaps it was inevitable, perhaps not. I would have liked to at least have been spotted a little later but oh well…

Vydra drained his drink and smiled wider "Oh yes it is connected to my duties as a Protector and protecting the light. Let me just tell you this, my wanderings are connected to saving the future, and to find those who will step up to the plate when we eventually go"

He gave Erwen a bow "May the Force be with you Captain" he gave him his comm number "Let me know how you get on with the Lords and Lady and I will let you know how my meeting proceeds"

Vydra gave him a nod and left. He felt a little bit better that at least someone could help him in his crusade. Hopefully after having a chat with Joren he could let a lot more weight off.

Only time would tell…...

TAG: @Sinrebirth @HanSolo29 @Mitth_Fisto @QueenSabe7 @galactic-vagabond422

Sinrebirth and darthbernael like this.
  6. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Darkness
    Clock-Temple, Nouane, just after the lesson

The Darkness curved around the ring, not wanting to touch it, and then, held it in a bubble of the Force above a writhing hand.

"What a curious item. How could the Master have expected my interference...?"

But then Dunkeel shifted, and it refocused, casting the ring aside. An unfortunate circumstance, but perhaps good? He could not know.

"Take your questions, your answers, and go. For I do not seek petrified balance, nor I do seek your chaos. I seek the path. I am one with the Force, the Force is with me. Your illusions, delusions, are not." Dunkeel stood there, unignited saber in one hand, empty hand with a claw pointing at the darkness, eyes closed, nostrils flared, hissing a steady stream of awareness as the Force was everything.

A sniff.

"Fine. I shall go, and reap my destruction, and you, Protector, will answer for it."

With that, the shadow dispersed, and was gone.

Gone?

Silence prevailed, and the ring merely settled on the floor of the room, glinting slightly, turning of its own volition, this way, and then that, before it stilled.

A nagging feeling upon the Chistori. A sensation that he had, perhaps, forgotten something. But, at the same time, he had his jobs to get to, also, and this little creature had distracted him from meditating on the murder... but had also claimed responsibility for it.

The Force was silent on the point.

For now.

Dunkeel bent calling the ring back to him, hissing slightly. A thought and then a few words, "The Master was right. Give a key to them as a weapon and between a bit of gilding, a touch of something familiar to them and it rests a million years in apathy." Hissing a laugh he tucked it back into his pocket. Playing a happy ruse for the Darkness if it had not truly left as quickly as it had seemed.

Setting his steps, one to another he climbed the tower. He passed the room for the Doctor and his wife that were expecting a youngling, work to do but input required. He pulled out his pad and sent a message on that note to all awaiting jobs, {Due to murder investigation repair services are suspended this week. Please seek alternate recognized repairers if it cannot wait.}

Then, to Erwen. {Met a small shapeshifter that claimed responsibility. Unable to detain.}

Lastly, to the Doctor. [I know you just left, met the darkness. It's an illusionist. Begun the Twilight War has.]

Then he was there, the top of the clock tower and he called. A summon, a pressure into the Force to Fang to call forth their ship. Heart. "Heart." he muttered, gutturally to himself. "Gently. Softly. Hidden." he whispered to himself and in the call for his Tho Sphere to come to him. It was time to try something different. To fly above the city, to look down upon it. To know it, to see a way to intervene in the Darkness, and perhaps to mourn.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Tho Yor Sphere
    Above the City of Nouane, just after the First Protector Master Conclave

The semi-sentient droid ship levitated itself above the City, leading Dunkeel up into the cloud cover. His messages were conveyed, though Dr Joren Graal would only just see the message from the Chistori, cryptic as it was.

The center of the Tho Sphere was fairly spacious, and for a moment the Chistori would have a double-vision, caused by the Force, of a different kind of sphere; one made with similarly technology, and he would know it was called Ship, a throne replacing his pilots chair and then vanishing again. Whatever moment he had leaned into passed, and the ship was merely scanning the City as requested.

There was, for a long, long, moment, silence, and it left Dunkeel to himself, the mind of the Tho Yor also absently humming to itself.

We have a communication.

[​IMG]

"This is A'nang, seeking the Master of Nouane. Please respond."

The signal was powerful; more powerful than anything Nouane could produce. For a time, Dunkeel's Tho Yor would be out of touch, and Joren would be unable to reach him anymore than Dunkeel reach him.

TAG: @Mitth-Fisto, @HanSolo29 - Mitth, you are on a combo, 29, you have a cryptic message only, which you will see the morning after your reply. A relatively open TAG for Joren, a relatively curious one for Dunkeel(!)
    ---
    IC: Venezia Delomeux

Nouane City, the day before the Second Protector Master Conclave

The family animated, and created results. Gala's were arranged, new buildings planned, housing programs proposed, and the Lords and Lady of Nouane were entirely silent on the actions of the Delomeux family.

While Erwen returned to his investigations and waited for Dunkeel to get in touch, he sought out clues as to Zas'tel's whereabouts to send to Vale, who he had seen a few days before, leaving her with Zinara. He hadn't had chance to arrange to see Joren, of course, but he would.

It was the day before the next meeting, a week after the first meeting, just after the Masters passing.

All of the Holocron's of Heresies had been passed out as instructed.

His Holocron of Prophecy, the warped crystal creation, remained in his possession to distribute.

Venezia lightly knocked on her brother's bedroom door, fresh from having handed out leaflets on campus for a charity event. It was exhausting work with no immediate results, but when the first gala began next week it would give them a real sense of achievement. She had a letter in her hand, post-marked for over a week ago. Why it had taken so long to reach Vydra she couldn't comment.

Within, unbeknownst to her, was a single line in the Master's handwriting.

I know what you're doing. Good luck.

The line was as ambivalent as it was threatening as it was congratulatory.

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox
    ---
    TAG: @QueenSabe7 (combo continues, to finalise this week)

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422 (outstanding TAG)

8. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Vydra Delomeux

Vydra’s meeting with Erwen had been a more positive note in his Protector journey.

It seemed the Captain may have been genuine in wanting to save the city like he did, whether he could make any impact remained to be seen as he still had to talk to Joren and Vydra had to get Vale and Dunkeel on side. With Joren he hoped his friend would follow him or at least agree on some things.

He had returned home, his family had been busy in his brief absence as had he. His remaining Holocrons of Heresies had been distributed but the Holocron of Prophecy was still in his bag, waiting to be given to the correct person on the list, whether he or she would be revealed at any time remained to be seen. The students would hopefully heed the call and come and be trained as the future Protectors ones he hoped would be better than this group were at the moment.

The Masters passing had affected some more than others, Vydra was on a mission to find out the true purpose of his mission, whether he would end up being the traitor or not. To eventually pass through the World Between Worlds which was ultimately forbidden. Or whether they would end up just having one big fight and destroying each other.

His family had taken up the call to arms so to speak which pleased Vydra. Things were being arranged that could hopefully unite the citizen’s, raise money for good causes, create new housing opportunities and jobs and maybe even let people have a bit of a good time.

Vydra was getting ready to head back to the Clock Tower for the next meeting with hopefully a stop off at Joren’s on the way to check in and see how his wife was doing. He sensed his sister outside his door and as he opened it he spotted a letter in her hand. “Thanks Ven” he said with a smile. It was postmarked over a week ago and Vydra wondered why this took so long to get to him. Sometimes of course the post went missing but this was suspicious….

As he opened it his blue eyes narrowed.

I know what you're doing. Good luck.

It seems someone has been watching me. He thought the Master was always mysterious but this message could have a couple of meanings.

Either he was congratulating him on doing the right thing or….

If you are threatening me, how dare you. You broke me time and time again and I had enough. I decide to do something that wasn't part of the plan. Anf the only way you are going to stop me is if you come back and stop me. I’m going to deviate from your master plan, the students will be our future but whether I will go ahead with your traitorous mission remains to be seen….

He crumpled up the letter. If the Master was congratulating him it didn't seem like it but perhaps he could be. After all, Vydra was always a little different from the others.

He sent a pulse in the Force to Joren, he needed to talk with him, friend to friend and discuss the future.

Before it was too late.

TAG: @Sinrebirth @HanSolo29 , @QueenSabe7 , @Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto and darthbernael like this.
  9. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Combo with Sinre - Part 4?

IC: Zinara & Vale
    The Villa, south of the capital, Nouane

"No, Erwen was not a problem," Vale assured Zinara, tucking the comm the officer had given her in her back pocket before reaching for her wife. "I'd like to not talk about it. I'd like to not talk at all..."

With an eagerness that might've been too rushed, she pressed herself up against the other and leaned in for a full-on kiss that would hopefully wipe her mind clean. The lump in her throat only grew, however.

Zinara kissed her back, fully, and utterly, but she knew. She could sense Vale's pain, and she needed to decide whether to allow Vale to distract her, so as to draw out the wound, or to force her to face it now, even as her own heart-rate accelerated and the energy their kiss generated sought to overwhelm her -

She had dropped the towel around her midriff, and that movement allowed her mind a distraction of its own, and Zinara knew that this moment had to be about them, not just Vale, or Zinara. Releasing a breath and placing a hand on Vale's chest, she met her eyes.

"I need this too, Vale."

The words that tumbled out were the opposite of her thought process, but it was true.

She did need her.

For now, that would do.

She drew her wife back into a kiss and placed her still-wet arms around her Vale, linking her hands behind her head and pulling her close.

While this had been what she had wanted - not just the actual physical intimacy but renewing the deeper connection with the woman she loved - Vale kissed her wife again, in earnest, but found the distraction to be not one at all. She couldn't use Zinara like this, not when they were just coming back together, working through the mess and hurt they had both contributed to.

It felt wrong, and it felt deceitful. Somehow.

"Wait, please, I'm sorry," Vale stammered, breathless, as she gently grasped Zin's bare shoulders and effectively halted their efforts. "I want this... you... I want you but I just need a... moment." She turned away then, leaning back against the sink counter and covering her face with her hands. Embarrassment washed over her, the heat of passion morphing into her already growing guilt and sorrow. There was too much going on in her head, and she should have known these emotions could only be avoided for so long.

Zinara let her go, and let her draw up her hands to her face, and then stepped behind her, and just... held her, arms around her waist, face softly pressed to her back, eyes closed.

She felt the heaving of Vale’s chest, the thumping of Vale’s heart, between the wetness of the skin and clothes, and just... let her be.

There was no way Zinara was going to let Vale deal with this alone, but she wasn’t going to crowd her with questions, either. Vale needed to know Zinara wouldn’t leave, and Zinara needed to know that Vale would let her stay.

Everything else was mere detail, right here, and now.

Vale practically melted as Zinara wrapped her arms around her, her soothing presence so immensely warm and loving that her breath caught, a sob partially escaping her in a mixture of gratitude and the sadness she had previously been dealing with regarding the Master's unimaginable absence.

"I know... you may not understand this..." she began in a whisper, afraid to speak any stronger for fear her voice would crack and she would actually break down completely. She felt so... fragile, all of a sudden - maybe being in this safe space with her wife had slipped her seamlessly into this vulnerable and open state. Like her soul just knew, now was the time. "But I feel like there is this... hole... inside me now. The Force that is connected to me and within me, it's drastically changed because... he is gone."

"It was like when I thought I had lost you." Her voice grew thick, shoulders trembling. "A bond severed, and when that happens to one who is in tune with the Force, it... well, it..." The void in her heart seemed to stretch then, pulling at the muscle until it felt it would tear in two. Vale gasped and squeezed Zinara's hands that were placed over her chest. "It hollows you..."

Zinara listened, and listened. She didn't have words for her wife, because there weren't any. When you are faced with a problem, it's almost mechanical to try and solve them with scenarios and possibilities and forcing answers upon someone who, deep down, was just hollow and needed love to fill it.

Gently turning Vale, she held her, enfolding her so that her head was slightly under her chin and just stood there. Yes, Zinara was wet, and getting cold, but it really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Vale had lost her Master.

She hadn't been ready.

She had been alone, without Zinara there to help. There had been so, so, so much, and without the others reaching out to her - not really - she had been isolated by her fears and stress and the Master was all she'd had left... and now, she didn't even have him - but Zinara was back, and she needed to make up for her absence. Warranted or not, jealousy induced or fear caused, she had never wanted to hurt Vale.

And so.

She just held the woman she loved, squeezing her own eyes shut. Whether it was seconds or minutes, Zinara would fill that gaping wound with her love. There were no answers for this grief, and soon, it would be time to move forward.

But not yet, and now right now.

And then, words burst free of Zinara, and she let them.

"I love you, Vale."

"I love you," Vale returned immediately before dissolving into her feelings, crumbling into Zinara's arms and succumbing to her pain.

She was safe here, she was loved here. She would heal here.

TAGS: @Sinrebirth ( @HanSolo29 @Mitth_Fisto @galactic-vagabond422 @Jerjerrod-Lennox )

10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    GM OOC: I have had a bout of DRL so I intend to update this Thursday now. Half term, holidays, work dramas. Nothing terrifying, but just realities. If you have outstanding TAGs, I bequeath upon you an extra week. If you do not, enjoy a brief, brief, break.

If you have combos, I will continue to reply to them, with a view to all TAGs/combos being finalised by next week or I shall move on.

Cheers for your patience all.

@Jerjerrod-Lennox, @HanSolo29, @QueenSabe7, @Mitth_Fisto, @galactic-vagabond422

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  11. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Dunkeel & Sinre of the Many Hats
    Above the City of Nouane, just after the First Protector Master Conclave

The ship levitated itself above the City, leading Dunkeel up into the cloud cover. His messages were conveyed.

The center of the Tho Sphere was fairly spacious, and for a moment the Chistori would have a double-vision as he breathed and relaxed for the first tonight, caused by the Force, of a different kind of sphere; one made with similarly technology, and he would know it was called Ship, a throne replacing his pilots chair and then vanishing again. Whatever moment he had leaned into passed, and the ship was merely scanning the City as requested. He turned his head and let it pass. Noted, not understood, but allowed to pass as it come with not a thought.

There was, for a long, long, moment, silence, and it left Dunkeel to himself, the mind of the Tho Yor also absently humming to itself. It was comforting, and it was lulling.

We have a communication.

[​IMG]

"This is A'nang, seeking the Master of Nouane. Please respond."

The signal was powerful; more powerful than anything Nouane could produce.

Looking at the image he felt a bit perturbed by the intrusion, and by a flat tooth no less. Still as with most of his living years he pushed away from his baser instincts, trusting instead the sense of the Force. "Let us reply Heart, if we can?"

Channel open, Master Protector.

The other was now tuned in to Dunkeel, seeing the Chistori for the first time, but clearly pleased to see a fellow reptilian - and then confused at the same time as he had been hailing the Master. "I was looking to speak to the Master of the Protectors... to request he fulfil his ancient role within the Grand Chamber."

He sounded cautious, intrigued as to this person before him, and conscious that it was not just anyone who could access the Celestial Network... not at the technology level of the rest of Nouane.

All of these emotions were evident in the way his nostrils flared and then pinched, in the line of his jaw, and the slither of his tongue, all signs that Dunkeel would recognise as none too dissimilar to the mannerisms of himself... though this was a Kwa, not a species unheard of on Nouane, but present in as limited numbers as say a Gree, Defel or a Sith.

It was odd to have someone who was so easy to read to talk with. It was sadly a novelty he rarely got to enjoy with the odd customer. There were no other reptilian Protectors and with him having left his own people behind, he was always in a land of mammals.

Although from the Creche he knew his own people despised the Kwa. He couldn't remember why now. Fear had been a tremendous distraction in those days and so much had changed his world and perception of it all since then.

"I am Master Dunkeel of the Protectors. One of the few students so elevated to survive The Masters passing. He is One With the Force now." Mouth parted part way, tongue frozen in the air, before falling slowly. Sadness as his head turned to give one eye. Caution tangling with duty and the natural flow of life. "We will perform as best able in his stead." He said with a solemn dip of his head.

"The Master is one with the Force?" A'nang lamented. "That is most distressing."

He leaned closer to the display. "Master Dunkeel - my ship is nearly to Nouane. It is of great importance that we speak. My people are suffering the depredations of the Gree, and the Firstborne have fallen into a nearly century-long war for the first time in sixty-five millennia."

"Tell me," the Kwa seemed almost desperate. "Did the Master leave any instructions for you in respect of us?"

"Yes." Dunkeel simply replied with bowed head, "And no." he said letting it rise to stare at the image full on. "We were told you would come, we would be called, we would be tasked. We were given a frame, but is up to all what the picture will be. The future is in motion always, we make it with every choice." he breathed, emitting the calm and serenity that he didn't feel in his disturbed meditations in searching for the darkness that did not belong. And from the partial possible lies he now told hoping they might be truths.

"Yes... and no?" A'nang seemed concerned. "I have never met the Master, but surely he would have left clear instructions in-case of his death? What kind of apprentice are you?" It was hard not to be stressed by the thought that their future was held upon this waif, and A'nang wanted to apologise but could not bring himself to.

"Should I explain what has happened, or wait until I arrive? It will be a week, I expect. Dathomir is far from Nouane, by our star-drive."

Snorting slightly he chuffed with parted mouth in a small grin and chuckle equivalent to this ones reaction. "His instructions were clear, as clear as any lesson. Filled with wide passages, choice, and trust. Your reaction shows you speak truly, you never spoke with him before."

Reaching back he unhooked and set Fang across his lap. "Share now. It will give us time to better prepare and know what of The Masters messages apply to the situation you bring."

A'nang shook his skin in a bristle of annoyance. "We once served the Architects and Old Ones in the ancient Cosmic Wars, as the Kwoth, but we realised the folly of our ways and joined the Celestials, secretly doing so and in this we outflanked the monstrous Typhojem. His defeat at the hands of the Father, Son, Daughter and of-course Wutzek was in-part due to our having lured Typhojem into a trap."

"There were other species that have been redeemed over time, including humanity, and indeed, some Sith have shown the ability to evolve positively without the presence of their culture, as evidenced on Nouane itself." The Kwa continued on. "A century ago we sought to elevate the Rakata, a similarly contrite species of ancient times, isolated behind the galactic barrier that cut off much of their quadrant."

A'nang referred to the barrier that would eventually divide the Unknown and Known Regions, but the entirety of what would be the Known had yet to be populated in this ancient, ancient time. "The Gree, among the eighty Firstborn species created by the Celestials like ourselves, have never been comfortable with our redemption, and disagreed with our actions - violently - we have been in a state of war for a century over the Rakata, who continue to be benign and accepting of our tutelage - even apologetic that the Gree have acted so."

"It is time the Protectors mediated. The Father has consented to us approaching Nouane and bringing a Protector into the Convocation."

He sighed.

"Thus my entreaty, and my journey to your world."

Dipping his head he hummed softly to himself. The Master had left clear instructions indeed. Or rather portents that they would mediate, and they would fail. "I remember this lesson well. You say bringing a Protector into the Convocation. Does that mean that at this time you wish for only one of us? There are Four Master's at this time. The other three are humans."

Raising a clawed hand he forestalled the answer a moment. "I would recommend caution on our world. At the moment we have formless darkness loose in our city. Take precautions. Unlike the Sith it seems to not have lost it's birthing roots of Darkness."

"A formless Darkness? There is no darkness left, Protector. The Darkness been defeated for sixty-five millennia," A'nang sniffed. "You seem to know more than I expected, for a former apprentice. How could the Master give a lesson about something that had yet to happen? Riddles are not what I expected in response to a request for help."

He pressed on, not allowing Dunkeel to answer.

"But I shall come for one of you, certainly. To take back to Coruscant. You can decide among yourselves who that will be. I will arrive in five days." The day after their next planned meeting, being - essentially setting part of the topic of their meeting.

And then he cut the message off.

Tapping an annoyed claw on the floor he roared into the silence of the dropped connection. Once that was out he sighed, steadying, balancing. "Heart. Continue to scan for the Darkness, also pull up tabs for all Kwa and Gree in the city. I need to send an alert to the Southern Districts nest of my kind. Send them whatever data you have on the darkness I encountered earlier tonight as well as a copy for my review discretely, off any military or other comm networks if possible in an anonymous manner. I'll need to give a copy to the other Masters as well as an imageless copy of this conversation. Audio only." Shifting he contemplated things as he turned Fang over in his hands.

Setting it aside he reached for the holocron in the inner pouch and let it float in front of him. "Now. Tiny one. What do you have to share on the darkness I met, the ring it didn't take, and the Kwa and Gree disagreements with a summit on Coruscant?" He had a feeling this was the start of a very long night.

The Holocron activated.

The species creates illusions and the ring detects the illusions, via an acquired resonance between the material of the dark side forged from the rock of Mustafar. The specific servants of the dark side that create illusions as Croke, creations of the Old Ones designed as infiltrators. Shapeshifters also served the Old Ones and Architects in the Cosmic Wars, but there production was ceased when they proved too independent. The Croke however were creatures in origin, albeit small. They were capable of creating illusions with or without mass.

In the future, Croke would be driven to the edge of extinction by an Unknown Terror known as the Leech Legion, with one prominent Croke departing for Tund, and infiltrating and destroying the Sith Sorcerers there. Rokur Gepta was a particularly affluent Sorceror in history thus, as was the one known as Soliloquy until the Twilight Wars brought about the End of Time. Darth Sidious had a particular interest in the Rokur Gepta, as he did in all the allies, servants and accessways that once belonged to the Old Ones.

The Kwa and Gree, as servants of the Celestials, are particularly hated by the Croke and other Old Ones, especially the Kwa, who were among the only Firstborn species twisted by the Old Ones to serve them as the Kwoth, becoming the Kwa to stop the Old Ones in the last of the Cosmic Wars. Their dispute over the redemption of the Rakata escalated into a war lasting a hundred years and transformed at that point into the Twilight Wars after the summit on Coruscant.

In this, the Holocron was repeating what A'nang had said... but in the information about the Croke, it was something new and interesting. Of course, the point about the Twilight Wars was obscured - it did not distinguish between two different points in time. The Twilight Wars themselves seemed to be referenced across thirty five millennia...

... as much as the Cosmic Wars were plural, so too were the Twilight Wars.

The Tho Yor Sphere processed his requests. "The Darkness was never evident on my sensors, Master Dunkeel. I have the records of the Kwa and Gree residents to hand, and a channel open to the Chistori nest. I have obtained access to the private records of Captain Erwen, who I have tracked your interactions with."

Head tilting he looked with one eye upon the holocron as he absorbed this new information. It was another layer of understanding that he did not have before. Now he had the burden to share it. Only The added private records of Captain Erwen were not in his original request. "I am guessing you found something of interest Heart? Please share before we transmit to the other Master's and Chistori Nest about the Croke. Including their hate of the Kwa. That might be a lead where this one will start or aim it's chaos at first."

"It is all as he said; he genuinely has been corralling the City to act in its own best interests. There is no evidence of impropriety, though he has suppressed news that Zas'tel has been sighted in the City wearing the black cloak associated with the Master. There is a police record of Zinara - who I believe is Vale's estranged spouse - who encountered him intercepting a fellow Defel before they murdered a Sith teenager some weeks ago."

There was a pause. "Did you wish to package up this private correspondence with that of the Kwa, Gree and Croke information? Captain Erwen may resent as much. Otherwise, I can simply forward the data to Captain Erwen also? There are some ancillary data sources I should tap, as there are references to Captain Erwen investigating incidents between nonhumans that have been instigated by unknown elements, but that may take a day or three to circumvent the protections of the Lords and Ladies on such data."

The Heart also supplied detail about the arrival of A'nang; his telemetry suggested that he would arrive just after their next planned meeting. The group was not cohesive at present; the comlink could not reach Vydra, as he seemed to be travelling into less accessible parts around the City; Vale was not responding to her comlink at her flat; Joren had not replied to the message about the Twilight War for some reason.

Rubbing his chin he thought about it a moment. Truthfully it didn't add much that he could tell. Also, some things were not really of concern and this might merely highlight and misdirect from that real problem. "No. Gather that information and prepare it for the next meeting. There is plenty to be concerned about without being paranoid. I'll present it then, the Kwa, Gree, and Croke are more critical for all to hear and to know." Dunkeel sighed at this as he pulled out the ring.

"Can you copy the scanning methods or use the ring to find the Croke?" he simply asked as he looked out at the clouds. Trying to understand, to think through it. Like a stuck latch perhaps he was merely turning the handle the wrong way?

The Heart whirred for a moment as if in thought. "Not without reducing the ring to its composite parts and incorporating it fully within the Tho Yor systems. I would not be able to recreate it thereafter. The gold setting would remain in your possession, of course."

The stone glinted slightly in the light inside the Tho Yor, as if a grin upon a face, and then did no more.

Nouane drifted idyllically beneath Dunkeel.

Grasping the ring he squeezed it. Not to break it, but hard as he thought about it. About what he was being told to choose. In the end it was inherently a thing of darkness, "No. No!" he growled out with conviction as he put the ring in his pocket. "It is a thing with dark quality. I would not risk you by making it a part of you. We shall find another way Heart. Because we have to." Looking out, he took in the horizon, the hope and essence of life springing eternal as a finite mind would see it. As he had seen it just weeks ago. Now he knew the end was oh so much nearer, even if far from himself.

Then his eyes fell to the city below. Innocent and churning.

"I do not think we shall sleep tonight. Heart, bring up the operating manuals and guidelines for my position and authorities in the city. Find whatever you can about the ways laid out for me to operate. My latitude. How the police operate." he snorted lightly. "If we are to hunt extinct prey of Darkness, we will need to know our own pathways and what we have to bring to use."

“Of course, Master Protector.” Heart paused, and then verbalised the process within its systems. “Thank you, for keeping my processes pure.”

With that, it dove into analysis and data and providing Dunkeel with all manner of information about the way Nouane City really worked.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    A combo with Sinrebirth:

IC: Joren & Tera Graal

Graal Residence, Capital City, Nouane

For the first time in weeks, Joren had managed to sleep through the night without his wandering thoughts causing unnecessary fears and nightmares. The open discussion with Tera had helped put his mind at ease, particularly where it concerned the Protectors and their own future together. It provided a sense of clarity that had previously alluded him, but now he felt as if he could endure through all the hardships – he had found a solid path in which he could follow. He was at peace.

But as fate would have it, that same peace would quickly become a detriment this morning – Joren was so relaxed that he had slept through his alarm.

And he had a lecture to give at the university.

With a muffled groan, the doctor sat upright and swung his legs over the side of the bed, the motion bringing a brief spell of vertigo to his sleep-ladened mind. He must’ve risen a little too rapidly, though he didn’t have time to allow it to fully dissipate; according to the chrono sitting on the nightstand, he only had thirty minutes to get ready. It would be damned close, but he could certainly make it. A quick shower and a small bite to eat should do it.

Joren did not bother to wake Tera. Instead, he brushed his hand lightly across her shoulder, adjusting the blanket around her neck, before rising stiffly to his feet. In his haste, he did not notice the red indicator light flashing on his comm to inform him that he had a message. He simply ran a hand through his tousled hair and continued on to the fresher.

Tera sat up as Joren left, releasing a huff of air as a wave of aches assailed her. There truly was no comfortable way to sleep when this pregnant. With a shift, she rolled to Joren's side of the bed, careful not to squash the baby - not especially possible, but psychologically it was always a thing -

And she saw his comlink.

It flashed up with a message from Dunkeel.

About the Twilight War.

Anxiety gripped Tera, and, in a rush of hormones, she deleted the message and returned the comlink to the bedside table. Guilt assailed her, but she wasn't able to examine the source, as all she felt was afraid. There was always that little voice in her head telling her that she was losing Joren - and it manifested as all of the side-comments about his seeming obsession with Vale - and then she was afraid for herself, on raising the baby alone, afraid for Joren -

All of a sudden the enormity of it consumed her, and she released a stifled cry.

Wrestling her emotions, Tera rolled over and squeezed her eyes sleep.

Exhaustion nibbled at her, and the shower wasn't going to stop that -

With his hair still wet and his clothes in disarray, Joren emerged from the fresher a short time later and crossed back through the darkened bedroom. As he passed by the nightstand, tucking in his shirt in the process, he once again failed to notice anything untoward about the comlink. He simply scooped it up, as was his routine, and secured it to his belt.

He might have continued on into the kitchen without another thought – if not for the sudden tingle that rippled through the Force and stopped him in his tracks. It was enough to send a chill down his spine, and he paused to glance back over his shoulder. Reaching out gently, he touched the sensation and tried to determine the source. The only thing he felt in return was fear and anguish. It didn’t take long for him to realize that it was emanating from Tera and that she was awake.

Inhaling deeply, Joren approached the bedside with tentative steps and lightly placed his hand on her shoulder. “Hey, I was just about to head out,” he whispered close to her ear in a husky voice. “Will you be alright until I get back?”

Tera rolled over to look at him. She was conscious that Joren could sense her feelings in the Force, but that just added a sharper edge to her anxiety. He was being subtle, and undoubtedly he knew there was something wrong.

And he was still going out.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to release her concerns a little. "I will be fine, Joren. You need to go, and we'll have some more time to ourselves soon enough. Okay?"

She forced a smile. Sometimes, Tera wanted Joren to pry, and sometimes she didn't.

Right now? She didn't know what she wanted from Joren.

He wouldn't have much to work on.

And naturally, this played into his insecurities. Despite her reassurances, Joren could still tell that something was amiss. He felt tempted to reach out and probe deeper into her mind, though he knew that she would not approve. It was a breach of privacy – of her most intimate thoughts – and Joren promised himself long ago that he would never stoop to that level. He respected Tera too much to violate her in that way.

Pursing his lips, Joren leaned closer and exhaled softly through his nose. He wasn’t satisfied, but he was willing to submit to her wishes. In this instance, he had to trust that she would not lead him astray. They were about to embark on a new journey together, and they needed to have each others’ backs.

“Alright,” he relented softly, closing the rest of the gap between them to plant a kiss on her cheek. “But remember, I’m just a comm call away. If you need anything...or if it’s time, I’m here. You know that.”

Joren offered a small smile and gave her arm a firm squeeze. But as he straightened back to his full height, his blue eyes lingered on her features, almost as if he was still searching for answers. He wanted to give her one final chance to express her concerns before he slipped through the door.

Tera sat up, buoyed in some ways by his constant support. Pregnancy had made her a hormonal wreck, and this Protector episode had certainly added to that pressure. As much as she tried to stay calm for the baby, that created its own pressure to stay calm, and thus more stress emerged.

But as it was, Tera could only smile at the man. "I know."

"Go to work, Professor. We've a busy week and then your paternity starts." She blew him a kiss from the bed; an old habit they used to have when they were younger and fluffier. "And I can't wait; I really can't Joren."

With a quiet sigh, Joren nodded and offered a warm smile. He instantly recognized the small gesture from years ago and swiftly found himself returning it as if no time had passed between them. That was how it was with their relationship – they understood each other and had developed a sense of empathy that was unmatched. It was as if they could anticipate each others’ actions and hear each others’ thoughts. Joren had initially attributed this behavior to their strong bond, though now he believed it was the work of the Force in their lives.

While it had given him grief over the past few weeks, it had also provided him with this gift – this beautiful woman. And soon, a child.

Their child.

That was his hope. And that’s what ultimately kept him going.

“Neither can I,” he finally replied in a wistful tone, his eyes shining with contentment. “I’ll see you in a little bit – it shouldn’t be too long today. I promise.” He flashed one last smile as he turned to exit the bedroom, gently closing the door behind him.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: The Narrator
    Elsewhere

It was going to take another day for A'nang to reach Nouane from Dathomir, but it wouldn't be long.

The Shadow traipsed the City, snarling to itself about the confrontation that it had lost with Dunkeel.

Erwen
    made his enquiries, seeking an audience with the Lords and Lady on behalf of the Protectors, but also tracking down Zas'tel for Vale. He transmitted a few updates and was pretty sure he had narrowed the location of the Master's hideway to one of six warehouse's, which were all large enough to store, say, a Tho Yor. Zinara had to return to work, but a few patrol missions were optioned to Vale as well by High Command. As much as possible, Zinara tried to keep things turning over, and made sure Vale knew how much she loved her, but she was ever conscious of the collapse Vale had the day after the Master's death.

Tera continued to brood and prepare for the due date in a little over a week. She didn't tell Joren about the message from Dunkeel, but supported him in disentangling from his teaching this week, in anticipation of the next Protectors conclave. Her concerns about Joren she managed to push aside, especially in relation to Vale, on the basis that he would obviously sort everything out at the next meeting, go on paternity, and they would focus on themselves for a bit. Their conversation nearly a week ago became a crutch for her to lean on.

Meanwhile, Vydra's family went to great lengths to canvass the City, pushing ahead with convincing the rich to contribute to events, and plan fundraisers, and so forth. A few were floating their way past law enforcement, and Erwen was sure to approve each one that he had influence over. Separately, he passed on the family petitions to the Lords and Lady, but none were returned. There seemed to be a degree of 'wait and see what happens' from them, oddly. But he'd only seen Vydra a day before, because, of course, Vydra had passed out all the Holocrons of Heresies in his possession now, and had yet to decide which of the five secret apprentices he was to pass his own Holocron of Prophecy.

Dunkeel, of course, had his analysis completed by Heart, which yielded a degree of data about incentives being preferentially given to humans in the City rather than nonhumans, and a slight neglect of services in the eastern region. The wall between the City and those villages in the valley had been, however, subject to a quiet improvement program. The Tho Yor made no success finding the Shadow, and the ring didn't hint at its whereabouts.

It was the morning of the next Conclave.

It was time to head in.

Erwen intended to speak to Joren afterwards, as he'd been too busy to speak to the others.

The Shadow wondered what it should do while they met.

A'nang meditated on the Force, desperate for any indication of what to do about the Gree and Rakata.

It was, as they say, coming to a head.

And Zas'tel himself?

Well, that story was now ready to move forward.

TAG: @HanSolo29, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Mitth_Fisto, @QueenSabe7 (into the meeting you go... this is a free-form posting TAG. Post as much as you wish, but no more than twice before everyone else has)

TAG: @darthbernael, please kindly reply to the last TAG for Zas'tel

14. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    IC Zas’tel
    Facing the 30

Zas’tel had padded into the construct and then finally into this chamber, ringed with thirty shades. One, a being with stark white eyes had mentally conversed with him for but a moment before launching into a speech, one that seemed to be designed to make him feel inferior and not worth the knowledge that he sought here.

The first Holocron. Within it is seventy five thousand years of Sith history. The species, the Daritha's, the wars against the Celestials. It was this Holocron that your Master discovered, and brought here, revealing, he said, that the eldritch Old Ones were not yet fully defeated, merely waiting for their chance to breach the walls and end time itself. If one escaped, it would be the Apocalypse itself... but if they all did?

It will not yield its secrets to a man in a cloak... it is said that after he dived into the depths of the Dark Holocron, the Master donned his black-cloak, designed to hide him from the dark side, and never removed it again.

In my time it is missing. My quest for immortality thwarted by the Jedi. But you... you have it here, and now...

Are you ready to make that sacrifice for your absent Master?

The voice echoed in Zas'tel's mind even as the eyes of he who ‘spoke’ it narrowed in an expression of eager anticipation of his destruction. He could feel a similar feeling from the others ringing the space, as if they were all assured that he would fail and fall to them. The shadow snorted, he hadn’t come this far, faced the darkness that tried to convince him he was dying, to be stopped by these beings, these shades, whatever they truly were.

In this time, in this place he understood why the Master had not granted him a holocron. But, at the same time he wished that he had one because a situation such as this felt like it required the type of snarky hinting at future or present events that made one wonder what his true goal was but also made one leave feeling like they’d been told what they needed to be told. And that wasn’t him so he had to do his best to blunder through to achieve the goal that he’d been set. He needed to learn what he’d come to learn so that he could fulfill the goal of the millennia to come.

With the way this one addressing him was speaking he almost wished that the man was present, certain that he could, at least, reach that one and rip out his throat before the others could react. Humans, well any being from a normal or low gravity world, were so slow anyway even if his reflexes weren’t as fast as Defel from their homeworld. But that would just satisfy his desire to wipe the smile off the face of the white eyed one and not satisfy the true reason why he had come to this place of the Dark Side..

He sighed, “You believe yourself so smart, you tell me, is the Master truly absent? Or are his robes shaking in laughter at your arrogance? Yes I came to this world for that, to learn, by his command and because it was necessary, which apparently means playing your game. But whatever may be sacrificed now is worth the price to ensure the future with you in it isn’t what you believe it to be.”

15. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    IC: Vale Sera
    City Center, Nouane
    Morning of the Second Meeting

Vale was incredibly thankful for her military duties.

Given varying patrols back by High Command had helped return her to the groove of structured life; well, one side of it, anyways. For this, the oft mindless routine routes she would take that would rarely come upon anything she would need to intervene on, she knew she had to be grateful to Zinara. Their bond had become deeper and stronger than it had ever been before, and her wife knew exactly what would help her rebuild after her emotional collapse a week prior.

Her grief for the Master remained ever-present, a constant reminder of what had happened to the only being she truly trusted outside of her marriage. However, it had now become a… manageable grief. She could feel it, she could touch it, but she knew for her mental health and her focus, she should leave it be. With time, she would be able to confront it head on and understand.

But Vale was not there yet.

Walking casually in-uniform down a busy thoroughfare in the city center – a stone’s throw from a particular riverfront restaurant she vowed to never set foot in again – the wayward Protector thumbed a secondary comm in one hand while her other remained fastened upon the hilt of her rapier sword. A mere habit as she didn’t feel particularly threatened at the moment, but she was dealing with palpable unease.

Having followed up on several of the leads Erwen had sent her over the past week, she had yet to locate the elusive Shadow – Zas’tel – and figure out just what the kriff he had been up to since the Master’s departure. And to impersonate him? Clothe himself like him? It was too peculiar for her tastes and of course, she had been dwelling on it incessantly since the information had been shared with her.

What could be gained by pretending to be someone who is already gone, let alone their mentor and leader? Did the Master have unfinished business he only entrusted to Zas’tel? Or, was Zas’tel planning something nefarious, something in line with the betrayer she had been warned about?

“Oh, so sorry,” Vale muttered, snapped out of her internal musings by nearly colliding with an elderly lady who was pushing a small cart filled to the brim with fresh produce. The avenue was quite dim in the early morning, despite the street lights that lined it on either side in close intervals. The sun was rising now, though, gaining in strength with each passing second. “Please excuse me.” She paused to allow the woman passage before continuing on her way, beginning to grow even more anxious considering the direction her patrol would be forced to take.

North, towards to Clock-Tower, which she had only returned to twice over the past several days, only to collect a few personal items from her quarters. It was still her true home and she would not abandon it, but while she continued to work through her feelings over loss and renewed love, she thought it best to spend most of her time at the villa with Zinara. Until the early hour of this day, the day of the next meeting of the Protectors.

Wringing her hands, she eyed the faint outline of the vast tower as it stretched high into view on the horizon, her face twisting into a grimace. She recalled the last meeting and how it had not ended well, mainly because of Joren and his self-righteous call to lead – to be more than the rest of them. Just thinking of the doctor spiked her frustrations and she wished she could just let them go, move on and let him worry about whatever selfish desires he had. It had been nigh on impossible no matter how she tried, as if the Force wouldn’t allow it, as strange as that was to consider. But she was not unfamiliar with signs and visions, hints at things that have yet to pass. She was being urged to keep an eye on him, to scrutinize. To Watch.

Just as she was being guided to watch Zas’tel.

Coming upon the outer gate a time later, Vale paused to look upon the makeshift memorial that had suddenly come about after news of the Master’s passing had spread. It wasn’t as large as it had been, and most of the flowers placed there were wilted, some browning and dead. A symbol of time moving on, even when those we love most are not there to experience it.

Before any tears could form, she straightened and began her march up the main path that lead to the entrance. Swinging the heavy doors open and setting a cautious foot inside, she felt like she should be prepared for something but couldn’t place whether it was good or bad.

Just… something.

TAGS: @Sinrebirth @HanSolo29 @Mitth_Fisto @Jerjerrod-Lennox @darthbernael

16. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Clock-Tower, Facing the Meeting

It had been a tiring week. An exhausting one both mentally and physically as he had been met with silence. He had studied long and hard, had gone to the posts for his 20 men and learned from them, their drills and tactics as applied in life. He had created a special code and the team was learning splash effect take down tactics if they thought they might be facing that new special code. As Croke was not a known term to anyone it was listed as possible Code Leech. Although that was subject to change. It also had a number, but as he sat here in a meditative pose, fists on knees ontop of the meeting table he didn't feel like he had done much.

The quarters were done, he had even installed a private bath as he doubted a rich mother would care to truly live simply with the communal route. In their silence he had done everything he could think of and even had installed a state of the art baby monitoring system. He had swept and cleaned the tower, searching for devices and tiny passageways. Sealing and mending them. This morning he had attended Crepusculum making sure the clock was not a hair slow, nor a touch fast. Oiled and loved it was set well and proper and now he waited. Waited for the others with a black ring in a fist on his left knee and Fang on his right.

He had done so little with his time. Research. Planning. And now if one was to walk in they might hear the soft simple sound of snoring. A guard who had been left alone this whole time. One who sounded the alarm of war, and was responded to in silence and left in solitude.

Around him at four points on the table were tablets, each with a copy of the information he had sent them on Croke, of his encounter, of the comm message he had taken, and what they had been called to do. Of one of them that must be chosen to fulfill an ancient vow by The Master. The beginning of their failure.

So he waited in vigil until sleep, sweet sleep, had claimed him.

TAG: @QueenSabe7 , @darthbernael , @Jerjerrod-Lennox , @HanSolo29 , @Sinrebirth

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: The Narrator

As Dunkeel settled into his sleep with patience, Vale would arrive at the clock-tower and sense only Dunkeel, and Dunkeel would sense only Vale. Joren and Vydra had opted to discuss events before the meeting itself, or rather Vydra had intercepted Joren before he made it to the Clock-Tower. It would give Vale and Dunkeel one final opportunity to meet up, before their comrades too joined them, and the final moment in the beginning of the Twilight War came to fruition.

Action, or indeed inaction, would cause the string of events created by the Master to crystallise and the way forward be set.

This was that moment.

The tension between what was prophecised and what was given, that would come into being today.

TAG: @QueenSabe7, @Mitth_Fisto, please move forward with the beginning of the meeting

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @HanSolo29, please move forward with your combo

---
    Moraband, Korriban, Pesegam - all these places and none

White Eyes laughed.

“You believe yourself so smart, you tell me, is the Master truly absent? Or are his robes shaking in laughter at your arrogance? Yes I came to this world for that, to learn, by his command and because it was necessary, which apparently means playing your game. But whatever may be sacrificed now is worth the price to ensure the future with you in it isn’t what you believe it to be.”

"He will resurface," he spat, "when your Truth is fulfilled, and the Dark One arises and ends the Ones, and the Twilight Wars consume all."

White Eyes glanced to the thirty Acolytes, who dropped to one knee and revealed five other men cloaked in the garb of the Master, as much as it was apparent that White Eyes, the orbs of his eyes growing larger. The cloaks withdrew their hoods, revealing their owners. Faces that had no meaning to Zas'tel, for he had no Holocron of Prophecy today.

Marka Ragnos.

Darth Ruin.

Darth Bane.

Darth Caedus.

Darth Krayt.

Sith that, in the millennia to come Zas'tel would observe as he cast his body aside and moved through time, or, as he was supposed to do, or indeed would, according to the Master, who had only wrote the Holocron of Prophecy because of Zas'tel...

They all stood together, peering down at Zas'tel.

"As the Seven Old Ones so battled the Ones, so too shall the Door to the Light be opened when the Light and Dark clashes for that final time. Me and my other selves will gather, and we shall discover the Truth behind the End of Time."

White Eyes lifted two hands, and a blaze of electricity burst from them, attempting to ensnare Zas'tel, causing his belt to be revealed, and the Forcesaber of silver and gold that the Master had given to him to be shown.

"I shall plunge you into sleep, and fill your body with my spirit, as I will these others, and take what was always to be mine!"

That malevolent cackle.

"Only now, at the end, do you understand."

TAG: @darthbernael

18. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Combo with our busy busy GM

IC Zas’tel
    Surprise, surprise, they’re trying to destroy me

A smirk crossed Zas’tel’s face as the man standing before him reacted to his taunt of sorts, drawing the man’s ire and causing him to continue to reveal more, possibly more than he intended to at this stage of the game.

As the white eyed one spat out his diatribe against Zas’tel five others revealed themselves. He knew them not but memorized their faces. As the speaker seemed to be, he was certain these five would have their own impact on the future so to know them and recognize them when they surfaced was of high importance.

His eyes narrowed as the diatribe ended and lightning shot forth. Darting backward, the voluminous robes flapped around him. As he did the lightning illuminated a Forcesaber seemingly identical to his own on his opponents belt. One hand nipped inside his robe, flashing back into view, lighting as it cleared the robe. A slight sigh came forth as the saber absorbed the lightning, giving him respite to figure out how to deal with what the other said he intended to do, to take him and use him to enact his own plans.

The white eyed man paused, laughing, and ceasing the lightning.

"You resist, but know nothing. You wear the vestments of the Master; as do we - why not accept the truth that the actions of the Master will lead you to the Dark anyway? I know - I meet him."

He fluttered a hand, and the Forcesaber of the Master's design slid into his palm.

The others stood stonily, staring down at Zas'tel.

"The Sith are the Master's intention; surely you can see that I hold the most ancient Forcesaber ever made... the one you hold."

He did not ignite it, and merely grinned.

“You may meet him, but I have spent even more time in his presence, I am sure. And whether he intends you to exist or not is not the question, the question is what I believe must be done and I know why I am here and what I must do.”
    Zas’tel stated calmly as he recovered his Forcesaber to a low guard, extinguishing the blade for the nonce as his opponent was not advancing or attacking.

“As to that saber, should you end up with it then I, not the Master, was the one who entrusted it to you. Oh wait, you didn’t know that bit did you?” he asked with a cheeky grin on his face.

A glower.

"The Masters games do not intrigue me; they are merely the board from which I shall take it all."

But it was too late; Ruin, Bane, the other Sith, they each began to fade away. Dark particles rose up into the roof, and the others became translucent.

"It would seem that our time is up. The fated clash between Dark and Light has come to an end. The Rule of Seven will come to fruition soon, and when it does, we shall see what secrets the Twilight Wars contained."

One ignited their blade and leaped down from the balcony, slicing down with a blade of crimson.

Caedus had a two handed swing down at Zas'tel.

‘The Rule of Seven and how that is affected by the Twilight Wars, definitely I must study this and include it in my focus as well as these faces.’ Zas’tel thought as the figure before him finished speaking and he and the others began to fade.

One, however, leapt from the balcony, seeming to defy the sending that was drawing each back to their times and places. He remained calm however, waiting, although he lit his Forcesaber once more, trusting his speed and instincts to move and block, should that figure not fade as the others were doing.

Caedus forced a lock to occur, his eyes yellowing as they met Zas’tel’s. There is a kernel of what you need to know already within you. Nurture it, and essence transfer will be yours. This was a trap, one set by him, one set by his knowledge of the Holocron of Prophecy. You must find someone to pass the Forcesaber to, and a new body to pass into the next world. If you don’t, we won’t stop him.

He swung again, aiming for Zas’tel’s neck; the blow was incredibly swift, and White Eyes cackled. “We’ll need to find a seventh body, it seems. But it is destiny that I shall return, and on that fated day, the Twilight Wars will usher in the End of Time.”

His voice dropped contempt.

Riiiiise, the Shadow of Sistros.”

Zas’tel snapped his saber back and up interposing it, with the speed his kind were known for, between his neck and the saber of the one attacking him. Even as he did his eyes narrowed for a moment at the last comment, ‘Hmmm, either I or the Master have spoken to him indeed, in the future and I sincerely doubt either of us would have passed along that name.’

He slid to the side as he blocked the strike, a rapid movement to evade while still keeping the two who had not yet disappeared in sight, having no guarantee that the white eyed one wouldn’t attack again. “I am the shadows and I will not fail my mission, even if it is to prevent your rise.”

White Eyes cackled, and laughed.

"The two become one..."

With that, he faded, as did Caedus, his eyes staring in Zas'tel's, and the other Sith in the Black Coat.

It was over. The Dark Holocron darkened, was flooded with darkness, and swam out of existence; it had never been here, either.

But Zas'tel would feel the kernel of the change within him; his body had nearly experienced essence transfer, and was learning from the experience, intuiting the way to use it... it was not there, not yet, but perhaps it would when the Defel needed it.

Perhaps.

The Tho Yor rumbled an enquiry.

What happened?

Zas’tel shook his head as he extinguished his saber, returning it to his belt. ‘Another test, and this one perhaps not of the Master’s doing.’ he thought.

He felt the change beginning inside him, realized that the knowledge he sought was there and not there, he’d have to hope that when it was needed he’d be able to access it but it wasn’t at his disposal as it was. And the temple was empty.

Time to return to the Tho Yar.

Even as he knew that was what he needed he felt the vehicle’s inquiry.

"A test, one that seemed to have no true resolution except that I begin to understand that which the Master sent me to retrieve." he replied.

TAGS: @Sinrebirth, Anyone who wishes to know what Zas'tel is up to

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    The Clock-Temple, Nouane

Once her initial trepidation subsided enough, Vale sensed the chistori in the vicinity. A smile spread across her lips and she breathed a sigh of relief without even thinking.

"Dunkeel," she said aloud to herself, appreciative that this fellow Protector would be the first one she encountered before the meeting. While his stance of "middle-ground" offered its own set of frustrations for her, he was the most calming to speak with. Always considering both sides of the same coin, she was thankful theirs had been a pleasant friendship.

Absently smoothing the front of her uniform, Vale moved further into the Temple, pulled along by the soft ripples in the Force caused by Dunkeel. In short time she found him, sitting cross-legged in a meditative slumber... though she was certain he had sensed her approach.

Quietly entering the meeting area, Vale stopped and leaned against a wall across from where he was situated as to not disturb him.

Hello, my friend, she sent in thought, a warm grin still present upon her face.

TAGS: @Mitth_Fisto @Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth and darthbernael like this.
  20. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Clock-Tower, Beginning the Meeting

Trapped in a dreamless sleep it was with some comfort at hearing, or feeling that a fellow Master was here that he felt himself be pulled in two directions. One wanting to take that safety and security for an advantage and slip deeper into slumber, and the other to stir and rise for it was time to begin.

With a snort and a heavy sigh duty won out over the base desire for rest. Snorting he opened his eyes and shook his head slowly, finding and focusing on her before raised into a crouch and hopped off the table. He stared at her for a moment as he felt her in the Force, confirming what he already smelled and hoped to be true. "Welcome. It is good to see you live."

Standing he turned around and took a tablet off the table, tapping a few keys he made sure it was ready. "The Twilight War has started, darkness has arrived, and one of us must be chosen to fulfill an ancient duty of The Master as Protectors on another world." Stepping forward he held out the tablet to her. It had all he had learned and faced since last they met. Sadly it was a lot and also far far less than he hoped for.

TAG: @QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 and darthbernael like this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Captain Erwen
    Nouane, doing his rounds

There was an air of electricity in the day.

Some... tension, arguably. But there was hope as well. Captain Erwen absorbed it, dwelt on it, and began to thread through data and content. He didn't have technology on his side, he simply had contacts, detective work, and a decent understanding of the various species and how they overlapped. It wasn't that he knew about them all, it was merely an innate grip of what made them different and strain against each other, especially as the south was pockmarked with little groups of species hunkering out together.

So when the warehouse he had been watching for the return of Zas'tel had nothing more than the simple fact that the various animal life that had surrounded it abandoned their enroachment upon it. A few of the more animalistic species in the area would hunt them, and their hunting patterns were disrupted by the simple occupation of the warehouse after days, perhaps weeks.

To sell the moment, he knew that there were no other things which evidenced an occupant. No technology revealed a life form; and in the meantime, if he had the Force, he wouldn't have detected Zas'tel. He knew that much, because nobody else could sense Zas'tel, and Vale, maybe even Vydra, would have told him that Zas'tel was back. Similarly, no matter how many patrollers he sent, they would get confused and lost, and forget the order, but he still had the hunting evidence. His officers were addled. Even it wasn't an active decision, something was intervening.

It meant Erwen knew that Zas'tel was back.

He immediately flipped his comlink over and messaged Vale.

Zas'tel is here; the warehouse I was scoping, it's being occupied now. No matter how I approach it; it's empty, but it's not. I am convinced he's back.

Her comlink would buzz in front of Dunkeel.

@Mitth_Fisto, @QueenSabe7
    ---
    In orbit

He had pushed the Kwa ship to it's limits, but arrived at Nouane even earlier than planned.

The blue-skinned reptilian humanoid had been dwelling, debating, calling up records. There was a prescience, even a weight to the Chistori's belief in matters. The Master of Masters was dead, but he seemed to have left a... Contingency? It was giving one of his apprentices a certainty that was concerning.

The Kwa played the conversation over and over in his mind.

He studied the readings, and discovered the source was a Tho Yor design of some kind. A'nang had seen the ones that served the Celestials; nine of them - the ninth of which was immense, and large enough to contain a world unto itself; not that the Father allowed him access. With some concerns, A'nang had sent a message to the Father, requesting his guidance...

... but he couldn't wait. He had simply send the request, with the data, and pushed his ship back into hyperspace, drawing upon the Force to assist with navigation.

A burst-transmission had been received; an update on the war. The Gree had been firing bursts from their Gate weapons to keep the Kwa from firing theirs, and vice-versa, while both factions rushed to place Gates on new worlds. It was a kind of cold war arguably, a century long one which the Kwa had fought on behalf of the redeemed Rakata. They needed to get back to preparing the next generation; the Je'daii Order, spreading a belief in balance, an understanding of the light and the dark.

Instead here he was.

Worried about what Dunkeel knew.

The Kwa ship arrived in orbit, and he immediately keyed the comlink. He had it in hand while he headed to his launch; a small shuttle. "Protector Dunkeel, it is A'nang. I am here; earlier, I know, than intended, but we must speak. You anticipated me - I must know why."

TAG: @Mitth_Fisto, @QueenSabe7
    ---
    Warehouse District

The small Tho Yor settled softly, and Zas'tel was released from it. He immediately knew that he had to flow-walk back to the past, so he could have the Master's Eye see what he had missed. The trip to Moraband had taken both more and less time than it should have, and there was all manner of connotations and yet, not, to what he had seen.

Zas'tel didn't have the context to understand what White Eyes was speaking of, nor the other Sith who had turned up.

Perhaps, if he had a Holocron of Prophecy, he would.

But there was a ripple in the Force; Zas'tel had done something, and didn't know it.

There was a dissonance...

A virus in the plan.

He would know this with absolute certainty, and he would sense a chittering noise, which transformed into a man in red.

[​IMG]

It was the Shadow that Dunkeel had met earlier, now in a form of shape.

It was a shape the Croke would use again and again, for their nefarious schemes for millennia to come.

Even the most famous of them, Rokur Gepta, and Soliloquy, would adopt this form to speak.

"Shadow! Your vestments allow you to use the dark side with aplomb... but you stink of it... did you go visit Typhojem's Skull? Did the Dark Man speak to you?"

TAG: @darthbernael (combo?)
    ---
    Nouane City, elsewhere

Of course, in the meantime, Vydra and Joren were having their conversation.

There were revelations, and truths, but they followed lies, and paranoia.

The five Holocron's of Heresies had been bequeathed to their five recipients.

Vydra still had his Holocron of Prophecy, though it was supposed to be passed on.

At the same time of course, Joren had his, and it hadn't mentioned its little titbit of sentence to him anew.

But without trust, what would they do?

They had been told their truths, and then their secrets. The secrets had been designed by the Master separately, but his students had made decisions to conflate them. Or, perhaps, the Master had led them to do so.

It was difficult.

Because the question of how to handle the information was rooted in the obvious question.

Was the Master benevolent?

Or was the Master malevolent?

They tried to go forward, crippled by that question.

The Sages of Dwartii would be remembered one day, but for this? One would hope not.

Sistros and his Shadow, Yanjon, Braata and Faya.

Names had power.

Had the Master expected them to lose faith in each other... and created a plan even for that?

TAG: @HanSolo29, @Jerjerrod-Lennox

22. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Fun with Sinre again

IC Zas’tel
    Warehouse, facing the Shadow

No sooner had Zas’tel leapt from the Tho Yar than he was assaulted with various impressions, one that he needed to flow walk and the second more than an impression, it was a physical manifestation, the same creature, apparently, that had accosted him before. This time it manifested as a man in red vestments.

At the other questions he sighed, everyone seemed to know where he was going or what he was doing except himself.

“I travelled, on my own business, and unless you followed me where I went or to whom I spoke it is no business of yours.”

"Come now, come now," the man said, weighing up a hand. "You and I both know that you've been on some mission for the Master. Luckily for you, you have that cloak, which allows you to visit places of dark power, to even use the dark side of the Force with minimal consequences."

There was a chuckle. "Tell me, how does it feel to skirt so close to what is simply unnatural?"

Zas’tel turned a sigh into a coughing chuckle. "Hmmm, let us see. First,” he raised his arms, the robes draping around them, “you appear to be a spirit or Force sensitive, at the least, and you say I was on a mission for the Master, yet you don’t feel that he is gone, so how could that be?. Second you, as with others, seem to know more of what I have or do than I myself. Third, hmmm, is not the entirety of Force ability unnatural in the overall reach of beinghood across the galaxy, whether Light or Dark? So few have it or use it.”

He paused, observing the man before him, “So I say again my business is my own, unless you can provide anything that would cause me to reconsider my position.”

The man laughed slightly. "All business is the business of the Dark."

A soft chuckle. "Who is to say whether the Master being deceased is even relevant to his plans. He has all his pieces in play - he merely excused himself from the board to see what would happen." A wagged finger.

"I feel as if a grand plan to erase the darkness is my business, no? You're key to that; to creating a fixed point in the future, with your... wandering eye." The man gestured to the Forcesaber. "But it's already too late, isn't it? You succeed, because all of this is going to happen."

A shrug. "No?" The Sorcerer stepped forward. "Or is there something else you are to do, beyond that?"

Zas’tel tilted his head, a wry smile upon his face, “Equally one could say all business is the business of the Light. But I was given to understand that we Protectors were created not just to serve the Light but to ensure that the future occurs and that supreme destruction and the Destructors do not bring about the End Times, and does that always mean staying in the Light?”

He held his position, even as the other advanced. “We succeed, hmmm? You tell me as you seem to be the one threatened by what is done now, whether by me or the others. And you seem particularly focused on me.”

Zas’tel began to turn as though to retrieve something from the Tho Yar, even if that meant another leap to re-enter it. “Something else, there is always something else. Protection is not something that is a one time and done thing, neither is Destruction, so it’s always a move and counter move ballet.”

"Oh yes," the Sorcerer said, bemused. "But its not going to be you, is it? You're just to watch, and watch, and watch... until the Twilight Wars and End of Time."

A shrug. "I am just here to make sure that you keep doing that."

"We wouldn't want, what was it... temporal anomalies, would we?"

With that, the Sorcerer vanished into smoke.

As the man vanished, Zas’tel snorted, ‘Another one, so interested in my progress or lack of it. Just means more work to keep my own actions hidden, if that’s even possible.’ he thought before ensuring the Tho Yar was sealed, exiting the warehouse, locking that in turn, and making his way through the shadows toward the Clock Tower.

23. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    The Clock-Temple, Nouane

"The Twilight War has started, darkness has arrived, and one of us must be chosen to fulfill an ancient duty of The Master as Protectors on another world."

Vale's friendly smile drooped, her shoulders slumping some. Hoping for friendly banter before diving into the seriousness of their positions had been asking too much, it seemed, and she took the proffered tablet without a word. She skimmed Dunkeel's findings, not really understanding it all but how could she without a discussion?

That was why they were here.

"Darkness arrived a while ago," she replied softly after a time, her nose scrunching up in thought. Joren's face jumped into her mind and she shook her head to push him away, though unable to completely free her thoughts of him and what she had been feeling in her gut. There was a connection there, linking the mystery of Zas'tel somehow, she just knew it.

A soft but audible vibration radiated from her left pocket at that second, where she kept the comm Erwen had given her. She looked apologetically up at her fellow Protector. "Excuse me," she said politely before turning away and adding a few paces between them. Freeing the device, she decrypted the text scrolling across its small screen and read it quickly.

Zas'tel is here; the warehouse I was scoping, it's being occupied now. No matter how I approach it; it's empty, but it's not. I am convinced he's back.

Vale stared at the words, feeling her heart rate escalate as she reread the message before sending back a brief reply - Resend location, I will scope it out after the meeting.

After securing the comm, Vale blinked, unsure of where this was all leading her. But she had a lead now, and she couldn't let it go unexamined.

"Apologies, Master Dunkeel." She moved back to where she had left the chistori and took a seat at the meeting table, starting to scroll through the datapad again. "Hopefully the others will arrive soon so we can get all this sorted somehow..." Vale was already wondering just what she might find in the warehouse Erwen discovered and how long would she have to wait to get there.

TAGS: @Sinrebirth @Mitth_Fisto

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  24. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Clock-Tower, Answering the Call

To his chagrin first her and then he had to answer comm calls. Stepping back as she had he raised it to hear an unexpectedly early expected voice. Hissing in frustration he listened to the voice.

"Protector Dunkeel, it is A'nang. I am here; earlier, I know, than intended, but we must speak. You anticipated me - I must know why."

"The Protectors were just about to start our meeting to discuss your request. As a reminder there is an agent of Darkness loose in our city at this time, a Croke shapeshifter. I would ask that you wait for us to be able to talk after the meeting in the Clock Tower is finished. We can come up with whomever is chosen to speak with you then or meet you at the shuttle station then. Patience is the better course at this juncture, now I am sorry the needs of the present." he simply stated before cutting the call to walk back to the only other Master currently present for this meeting.

A rather disconcerting start all things considered. "No need to apologize, unless I need to as well." He stated with a dismissing wave and head shake, "I agree, I hope the others arrive immediately. The visitor from Kwa whom is here to take one of us to mediate is here ahead of schedule and everyone's silence to my sent messages of an enemy of The Master and us present has been upsetting enough." He huffed the last as his fist squeezed tightly, he wanted to rend something at the moment. It would do no good, but it was an old impulse, a common one when things were too far out of control. As they were now.

TAG: @QueenSabe7 , @Sinrebirth

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Captain Erwen
    Nouane City, near the Clock Tower

Erwen found himself waiting with anticipation for Vale to answer; he had headed to the Clock-Tower to meet Vale as soon as she was free, so they could head off and confront Zas'tel together.

Resend location, I will scope it out after the meeting.

In some ways, Erwen deflated, and he took the time to check himself. He felt like he was getting closer to the truth of matters - of whatever the Master had planned. He needed to take back his neutrality and certainty. This was an investigation, not a quest.

With that mindset, he focused, looking for Zas'tel.

Part of his mind, the element more detached than not, worked on the idea that the man was closest to the Master than any... why would he style himself after him? And what did the Master care about most?

Ah ha.

His students.

So he'd likely be on his way here... and Erwen knew all the ways in and out of the Clock-Tower...

Erwen knew the main entrance, but he also knew the shadowed one, by the waterway that ran underneath the Clock-Tower... there was a maintenance entrance there, the Master liked to use it. So...

The police officer turned that way, checked his blaster was set to stun, and moved swiftly but casually.

TAG: @darthbernael
    ---
    IC: Narrator

The Protector's Meeting

"Apologies, Master Dunkeel." Vale had moved back to where she had left the Chistori and took a seat at the meeting table, starting to scroll through the datapad again. "Hopefully the others will arrive soon so we can get all this sorted somehow..."

"No need to apologize, unless I need to as well."
    He had stated with a dismissing wave and head shake, "I agree, I hope the others arrive immediately. The visitor from Kwa whom is here to take one of us to mediate is here ahead of schedule and everyone's silence to my sent messages of an enemy of The Master and us present has been upsetting enough."

Of course, Dunkeel didn't know that Joren's partner had intercepted and deleted the message.

It was often the little things that started the wheels spinning; they connected to each other, spot to spot, building and building...

It became a destiny; Fate, in the end. The inevitable coming of everything that had happened before.

Vydra and Joren weren't present, and their comlinks were off for the duration of their... discussion. Their argument? To be seen.

That left the two of them, almost awkwardly, while Vale had a datapad before her about a Croke, a shapeshifter, and the words the Shadow had said. The Kwa and Gree were skirmishing over the fate of a species called the Rakata, who, like the Kwa, had once served the Old Ones in the war against the Celestials some sixty-five millennia ago. The Kwa had once been the Kwoth, until their redemption, the story went. Now, the Kwa wished to bring the Rakata into the galactic community, but the Gree were strongly of the opinion that they'd been duped.

The Father of the Celestials had given permission for the Kwa to seek a third party, as he was distracted managing the Son and Daughter.

Much of this data had came from the Holocron of Prophecy in Dunkeel's possession.

The Force was briefly a disquiet as Dunkeel's irritation filled it.

TAG: @Mitth_Fisto, @QueenSabe7

@HanSolo29, @Jerjerrod-Lennox (combo continue, please)
    ---
    IC: A'nang

In orbit, Kwa ship

The blue reptilian paced back and forth.

How dare Dunkeel silence him? He was on a mission ordained by the Celestials!

It was frustrating. The Father was refusing to intervene as long as he was busy, making checks and balances whenever the agents of the Son and Daughter acted...

The Kwa paused. In his annoyance, he had opened a direct channel to the Father...

On the old line...

The one all the species that served the Father had access to...

Even the Gree.

Many, many, many expletives arose from the Kwa's mouth.

TAG: No-One