main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Stone in the Sea - ROTS AU - short story, Obi-Wan - Anakin/Vader challenge - COMPLETE 5/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: A Stone in the Sea
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Genre: AU short story , 3 posts ? this story is completely written so I can be precise! For once. :p
    Notes: Written for the Anakin/Vader challenge and based on this quote:

?Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy.? F. Scott Fitzgerald

A Stone in the Sea

Chapter 1

The voices drifted to him slowly, like smoke from a very distant fire. Briefly, he considered heeding the voices? call but dismissed the notion quickly. The place where he rested was so very peaceful, nothing mattered there, nothing could hurt him there.

Quietly, he floated along wherever the current took him, content in the moment and wanted nothing more than to spend eternity there.

Yet the incessant hum of voices would not leave him in peace. Eventually, he realized that what he heard was the muted murmuring of voices in a sick room, those hushed tones and words of concern that meant injury or illness. Still, he could not stir up enough energy to pay them heed. A part of him wanted to drift up out of the comforting nothingness, but the thought of it gave birth to terror in his heart.

It was the touch of a hand on his face that finally roused him from his unnatural slumber.

?Obi-Wan??

He knew the voice, the touch, and still he shrank from it. There was only tenderness in the sound of his name and that familiar caress but it made that terror lurking within him cry out in protest.

?Obi-Wan?? Softly calling his name, seeking to pull him out of the comforting fog that claimed him.

No.

He withdrew, closing down his shields with desperate determination and felt the Force swirl around him in powerful currents.

?You?re all right now,? the voice soothed, as if its owner sensed his turmoil.

In his head, a memory flared up ? bright and dangerous. Pain.

?Anakin?? he whispered, the word forced out of a throat that felt raw.

There was another round of murmuring voices and Obi-Wan felt himself drawn back into that comforting darkness ? away from the memory that troubled him so much. Later, he promised. I?ll remember later.

Surrounded by a dark sea, he was a stone, plummeting down into unfathomable depths.

Safe.

~~~~~~~~

?He?s struggling to come out of it,? the familiar voice said. Obi-Wan latched onto the voice, grabbed hold of it like a lifeline in a turbulent sea. Now it did not invite fear, but comfort.

Help me.

?Yes, but why hasn?t he regained consciousness sooner?? Another voice that tugged at Obi-Wan?s memory. He almost knew it. Too tired to search his memory, he let go of that voice.

?Decide the Force will, when Obi-Wan comes back to us,? a third voice pronounced with authority and the other whispering voices fell silent at last.

Obi-Wan sighed, letting himself drift away slowly once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

He blinked.

Light.

Too strong for his eyes and so he turned away, squeezing his eyes closed, wishing he could dispel the memory of that too-bright light. The light meant pain and awareness. He struggled against an intense desire to retreat once more to the darkness and then wondered why he resisted.

?Obi-Wan,? a tender voice said and there was the cool touch of solicitous care on his forehead.

In spite of his fear, he turned toward that touch and opened his eyes.

?Bant,? he whispered in relief. He knew her, knew her touch, her voice, her face. It felt so good to simply be sure of something that he almost felt as if he would weep with the joy of it.

?Obi-Wan,? she said once more, her relief almost matching his. They stared at each other, good friends reunited against all odds. ?You?re back.?

That simple statement released the floodgates of emotion and Obi-Wan felt his throat thicken with the tears he tried so hard to suppress. ?I?m back,? he agreed, though he had no idea where he had been or how long he had been there.

A brief flicker of memory tugged at him. ?Anakin?? he asked softly, wondering why he s

2. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    *whew*
    And I thought they were going to say..."has fallen towards the darkside."

Atleast Anakin died a hero.

It still breaks my heart though[face_tired] :_|.

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    :eek:

Oh wow, VL, the description in here is gorgeous. You really draw us in to Obi-Wan's point of view, the confusion and curiosity and fear mixed with the desire to just escape it all. It read like a long, piercing poem. Beautiful. =D= I can't wait for the next section. :)

4. Mara_Skywhiner

Mara_Skywhiner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    You have me wondering if Anakin is really dead, or if Palpatine somehow managed to survive the whole thing and whisked him away somewhere. Can't wait to find out! Great job so far!
    ~Mara

5. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Anakin's dead, huh? I like it already! :D

6. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    Aww, poor Obi-Wan. I wonder what his response is going to be to this. Can I please be added to the PM list, if you have one?

7. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Put me on the list ASAP.

8. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    I was beginning to wonder when I'd see this one posted! You know I expect to be on the PM list! ;) *settles in excitedly to wait for next chapter*

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You sure know how to elicit emotions there MamaVader. Can I be added to the PM list. :D

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Anakin is dead?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NNNNNOOOOO!!!!!!!

I hope the Chancellor died as well :p

Poor Obi. This is going to be so hard on him.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Anakin's dead? Nooo! Poor Obi-Wan. :_|

Definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes!

12. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    BLEEPING CLIFFIE!!!

13. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    :eek: omg that's a mean cliffie [face_not_talking]

Please add me to ur pm list! [face_praying]

14. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Ack! What a cliffie! :eek: But boy, oh boy, am I ever intrigued! [face_thinking] May I please be on the PM list for this one? Looks like it's going to be intense. But that's okay.... I'm ready! *looks around nervously while pretending to be brave* [face_worried]

I can't wait to see more. You know how much I love Obi / Ani stories - even if they're angst-ridden! *sniffle* @};-

Beautiful work! Can't wait to see more!

15. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    What! Anakin?s dead? My Ani?s DEAD?

NOOOOOOO!

I hope Palpatine died too *pouts*

I really don?t wanna believe that Ani is truly dead. *folds arms across chest* I refuse to believe it!

I do wonder how Obi-Wan will react?[face_thinking]

Great start!=D= Can I please be on the PM list?O:)

16. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    And meanwhile, Padme is a secret wife ... and widow.

With children.

That is really sad. At least now, no one will have anything but good memories about Anakin. But how Obi-Wan will handle this -- whatever the case is, it will be interesting to see. One way or another, the Jedi Master changes when dealing with Anakin in Revenge of the Sith. One way or another.

Hopefully, just as much for the better ... through another kind of hardship.

17. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Interesting story you have here, Kim. I like the twist, but what will it mean in over all picture, and to Obi-Wan personally.

I enjoyed Mace's concern. You wrote him well. I could hear Sam L.

You built the suspense in such a way that made me as crazy for the answer as Obi-Wan. Excellent job.

Please PM me. I'd like to see where this three parter goes.

18. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Hey wait a minute, I forgot to ask if you can add me to your PM list!
    Please put me on your list:)

Thanks!

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I just thought everyone should know this won't turn into an epic. It will only deal with the immediate aftermath of Anakin's death. So in many ways, it's a quiet little story.

HandmaidenVeme Yes, he has. :_|

LuvEwan Thank you! [face_blush]

Mara_Skywhiner BTW, I love your user name! [face_laugh] And thanks for reading!

VadersMistress I did that just for you. :p

JediMasterJessica Sure and thanks for reading.

Yodas-evil-twin Will do! :D

Gina Did you bring enough popcorn for me? [face_batting]

Healer_Leona Thanks so much for reading!

KELIA You'll soon find out about the Chancellor! ;)

amidalachick Well it won't be going very far. :p

palpyisgod2 Not too much. O:)

Veloz Not much of a cliffie. Really. Swear. [face_mischief]

VA_Parky Yeah, I'm sucker for those stories too. Even if I have to torture the boys. [face_devil]

Alley_Skywalker He had to die. That was the deal. :D

darth_treyvah Oh yes, it changes everything. :)

brodiew It's hard to think clearly when you're sick or injured. That's what Obi-Wan was dealing with.

HandmaidenVeme I will and thanks for reading!

[b]Chapter 2[/b]

Obi-Wan closed his eyes. ?The crash???

?Yes,? Mace replied softly.

And the whole of the memory assaulted him all over again. Turning to his left, he had seen the crushed form of Anakin, blood trickling from the corner of his mouth and ear. Anakin had whispered only a single word, a slight smile tugging at his lips one last time. Then life had flickered uncertainly in one blue eye, and it had sputtered out.

Fortunately, Anakin had already been dead when the flames began to lick hungrily toward him. Once more, he heard the sputtering of the little droid Anakin tinkered with so endlessly, the last flash of lights and he remembered feeling strangely bereft at the thought of the droid existing no longer.

Then the awareness of the Chancellor?s body falling forward, his hand resting on Obi-Wan?s shoulder as if he had reached for help. But it was too late to help Palpatine; he was dead, too. Obi-Wan felt his own grasp on life growing ever thinner and then?

There had been a hand reaching in through the wreckage. It had touched his shoulder and then had grabbed hold of his smoldering tunics and dragged him out of the inferno that threatened. He had had only time to call out Anakin?s name before the flames claimed his friend. His last sight of Anakin had been one eye staring out from the veil of flames and then he was out, gasping in the relatively fresh air beyond the wreckage.

Saved.

But once again alone.

?I need to rest,? he said quietly and sensed Mace?s hesitation. Then the older man gave a short nod of his head and left the room.

Anakin was dead.

It seemed to be difficult to get beyond that thought and every time he might have moved away from that realization, he found himself circling back upon it.

Anakin was dead.

Obi-Wan had seen so much death in the last three years. He had waded through rivers of blood, been surrounded by the sounds of the dying, used his saber to take lives over and over again only to see yet other lives ended in a moment.

And he was sick of it.

Sick to death of the war and the bloodshed and all the reasons for it. Now Dooku was dead ? Anakin?s last gift to the Republic ? and so was Palpatine. Perhaps [i]now[/i] the war would end and the death would stop.

But it was too late for Anakin.

For the first time in many years, Obi-Wan allowed himself the luxury of tears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He just wanted to sleep. In his slumber, he could forget the events of the past few days; he could forget that Anakin was dead and gone. In sleep, there was no grief or worry, no piercing sense of loss.

Every time he woke, he would see one concerned face or another peering down at him and he grew to dread the sight of the pity in their eyes. Obi-Wa

20. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Anakin's dead?! :_|Oh how sad, but...better in a way.:_|

And Artoo, too? :_|:_|:_| I need some chocolate now.

Could you please PM me when you update this one?

21. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    How sad for Padme to find out that way. It must be terrible for her and at least Obi-Wan understands. So in a way, both Anakin and Obi-Wan broke the Code about love.

The Sith are dead and that's all to the good. Grievous will be fairly easy to get rid of, once they locate him. Then it will be over except for Padme and Obi's loss.

Great job. Please PM me with updates.

22. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh my gosh! Tears! Tears EVERYWHERE! :_|

Cannot. see. Everything. blurry!

*sniffle* Oh, Vadey, that was a heart wrenching chapter, but still so beautiful. You convey the characters' emotions so well, that I really feel them like a punch to the gut. It's impossible to just be a casual reader of your stories, you know? You just can't help but get emotionally involved due to the way you tell your stories.

Thanks for the PM. [:D] I can't wait to see what's going to happen next. I'm hoping that Obi-Wan and Padme will find a way to comfort each other, even though he now knows she's preganant w/ Anakin's child. I gasped out loud at that line, by the way. She's really going to need his support. :(

Wonderful work!

23. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    :eek: omg!:eek:

Both Anakin and Palpatine are dead!? :oops:

Poor Padme and Obi Wan :( now they have to find a way to get thru this time without Anakin... i'm sure Obi Wan is going to be there for her, cause that's just the Obi thing to do :p [face_laugh]

Thanks a lot for the pm!... ic ant wait to read how this ends [face_thinking]

Oh! and also, thanks for the pm :D

24. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    :_| :_| :_| :_|

I'm glad Padme was allowed to see Obi-Wan and spend some time alone with him. They'll need each other to get through this.

On the other hand, Palpatine is dead!!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

At least some good came from the crash.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

25. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    I always try and take a break and read any new fics you post. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not. I was able to catch this one and I love it. It's so sad and beautifully written. I feel the anguish of everyone and how it hangs over the Temple. I feel Obi-Wan's and now Padme's pain. It's so real.

Can you please PM me with the final update. I really want to see how you bring all this together and what kind of closure everyone gets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.