main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Horror A Summer Place

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Ramza, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    ... we came in?

In case you're wondering what it all means... Don't.

[image=http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/darthramza/WelcometoJackson.jpg]

A midsize pre-planned housing development on the outskirts of Des Moines; Jackson, Iowa?s claim to fame is often said to be its lack thereof. With some of the lowest crime rates in the nation, a stable housing market, a good-sized local economy, and some of the most well-funded public schools in the country, Jackson is perhaps the epitome of the suburbia ideal.

Like all suburban areas, Jackson is a disgusting vat of mindless hegemony. Beneath a façade of smiling neighbors and prize-winning lawns lurks the fetid decay of dead souls and deader dreams. The less willful are ground into a paste by the iron boot of conformity. Those with more pride lose themselves in orgies of self-destruction and psychedelic chemicals.

The rest of the country might be experiencing a crime wave, but not Jackson, Iowa. Police Chief Durbin reports that the only call his force has received within the past month involved a missing wallet containing approximately $20 cash. The wallet was later recovered. Aside from the occasional speeding ticket ? will those motorists never learn? ? all is well here in the heart of corn country.

Only a fool would believe this ?not here? bull. It?s exceptionalist crap swallowed by the populace in an attempt to convince themselves that they are exempt, that they are special. You are not special, no one within the sprawl of suburban life is special. Individuality destroyed in the name of efficiency and supermarkets. Day in. Day out. Every day. Until you die.

Repetition is healthy. Repetition is the means by which humans acclimate themselves to their living conditions. Repetition builds a healthy mind.

Routine is destruction. Routine is the means by which humans choose to accept rather than to change the status quo. Routine nourishes the seeds of madness.

Please continue to focus on my voice. You are safe here in Jackson. There is no need for you to be concerned for your future. Everything will be okay.

Pay attention to me you weak-minded fool! No one is safe anywhere! The future is collapsing all around us! All will be consumed in destruction!

You must resist.

You must give in.

You must stay sane.

You must go mad.

[i]?Yesterday upon the stair
    I met a man who wasn?t there
    He wasn?t there again today
    Oh, how I wish he?d go away? ? W. Hughes Mearns[/i]

[image=http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/darthramza/tour_guide.jpg]

Greetings, and welcome to Jackson, Iowa, [b]A Summer Place[/b]. By my watch it is? 2:01 AM Central Standard Time? Rather a late hour. Nonetheless, I am the Tour Guide, and I will be your constant companion and source of information about the world you are going to step into.

I trust that there were no? [i]incidents[/i]? preceding this tour? I am very unfond of? [i]incidents[/i]. You are an average suburbanite of some fashion, are you not? Tell me, have you been here in Jackson long, or have you just arrived? Perhaps you?re just staying here on the way from Lincoln to Chicago? We do tend to get a lot of those.

Actually, on second thought, do not tell me yet. I prefer to be surprised. I find that so few things surprise me these days ? life here in Jackson, as you can imagine, can be rather dull. Some say it?s just a consequence of how nice the area is. Others will claim that it?s the calm before the storm sets in. As for myself? well, I do not like to give secrets away too often, but I have [i]heard[/i], from a very reliable source, that some very disturbing things are about to happen in our humble burg. Such is the nature of these things, I?m afraid. The mind is so delicate, and yet so ? ah, I?ve said too much!

But for now, you should assume that your life is relatively mundane, in whatever unique

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    GMISH APPROVED

Name: John Smith
    Appearance: [image=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07Pza4Pca154F/340x.jpg]
    Residency status: A few years (lets say four)

3. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Approved.

Name: Adam Easton
    Appearance:
    [image=http://www.latinoreview.com/images/user/weatherman.jpg]
    Residency status: Resident for 6 Months

-b

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Looks good.

Name: Sean King
    Appearance: Your typical athletic high schooler. Stands in the upper five feet zone, Caucasian with short brown hair. Left eye is green, so is the right one.
    Residency status: Has lived in Jackson all his life.

5. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Name: August Starr
    Appearance:
    [image=http://www.kultur-channel.at/Pics/diehl.jpg] [image=http://www.monstersandcritics.de/downloads/downloads/articles2/94200/article_images/image4_1217010937.jpg]
    Residency status: Recent arrival

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    GM Approved

Name: Paul Whittaker
    Appearance:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/summer-cop-rpg02.jpg]
    Residency status: 24 years

7. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    OOC: ramza approved

Name: Caroline Joy "C.J" Karmichael
    Appearance:
    [image=http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-main/ehow/images/a06/07/1t/make-impressive-resume-high-schooler-800x800.jpg]
    Residency status: Has lived in Jackson since she was 5 years old

8. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Name: Camille Rodgers
    Appearance:
    [image=http://blog.mysanantonio.com/stepfaniebishop/files/legacy/young%20mother.gif]
    Residency Status: 16 years

9. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    GM Approved

Name: Michaela Gardner

Appearance:

[image=http://www.redken.com/assets/files/0000/4550/RCon_BlondeGlamModel3_225X225.jpg]

Residency status: 1 month

10. Your_Tour_Guide

Your_Tour_Guide Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2011
    Ah. Ahem. I trust we are all finding the registration process relatively accommodating? I am anticipating our tour to commence sometime prior to June 27, 2011. I appreciate your patience with regards to this matter, as I assure you the utmost attention to detail is being paid to insure that you, our - my - guests, will have a enjoyable visit, free of... incidents.

You may be wondering why I am filling in for Mr. Ramza. This is simply a matter of convenience - as I am not the GM, you will find that rule #1 does not apply to me. Think of me as a friend. After all, everyone needs a friend to get by in this day and age, now don't they?

One final announcement - space on the tour is limited. We will only be able to accommodate one or two additional guests at this time. I encourage all of you debating whether or not you wish to fill out an application to come to a decision with a certain amount of haste if you wish to be included in the first group.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Name: Matthias 'Xander' Alexander
    Appearance: [image=http://thepeoplesmovies.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/ryangosling.jpg]
    Residency status: Eight months, four days.

12. Your_Tour_Guide

Your_Tour_Guide Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2011
    ?Liber scriptus proferetur,
    In quo totum continetur,
    Unde mundus iudicetur.? - Thomas of Celano

Thank you for your patience ? we shall commence with the tour post-haste. Now, as I am sure many of you are familiar with, it is essential in these sorts of explorations to acquaint oneself with the mundane. After all, if we don?t know what?s normal we can hardly learn to recognize what is abnormal. And we shall do this in just a moment.

First, however, I have a wondrous sight to show to you, my esteemed guests - the tale of one Darren Coverdale. I suggest you familiarize yourself with this narrative, as you will find its details essential to cracking the riddle of Jackson, Iowa.

Keep close now, and don?t stray from the group! Who knows what dangers may lurk in?

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlC4Ldz9EE]The First Attraction[/link]

[i][b]THE SHADOWS OF FIFTH AND MAIN[/b][/i]

[i]Midnight, August 1, 2013[/i]

I had had a long day.

That was perhaps the best way to phrase it, now that I think about it. You see, I work at the Menards on Fifth Street, you know the one, [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbIrHsQbPCU]save big money doo doo doo.[/link] Specifically, I work in the paint department ? actually, I?m the guy that runs the machine that mixes the paint together. ?Cause, y?know, little known detail, that job takes special training. Y?see, any jackass can make a can of ?green,? it takes some goddamn knowledge to make ?Olive Green #541.?

Don?t gimmee that look, I?m serious! And don?t act like you ain?t seen a man my age swear before. I know how it is with you damn kids and your Xboxes and your Haloes. Oh yeah, you think old Darren ain?t up with the latest technogimmick crap? You?d be wrong. ?Sides, I?m only 57, I ain?t old. Least ways I don?t [i]feel[/i] old, and that?s all that counts.

Anyways, I work in the paint department at the Menards, and normally I work a solid eight hour shift, go home, have a Pabst, watch Leno, hit the hay. Rinse, repeat. Today was different, though. Today one of them punk kids hadda? call in sick, so the manager comes over to me. ?Darren,? he says to me.

Yeah? I says back.

?We were wondering if you could cover for Raymond, he has a bad cold and can?t make it in.?

Well stupid me, I took Raymond?s shift. Raymond don?t get off work until 11 goddamn 30 at night ? 23 goddamn 30 as we used to say back when I was in the Army. Oh, yeah, I?m an Army man, I forgot to mention that. It ain?t particularly important.

? Fellow over there?s telling me it?s important. So take note ? former PFC Darren M. Coverdale, US Army. These goddamn colors don?t bleed and all that.

But I ain?t here to brag or talk about the past. Anyways, Raymond gets off at 11 goddamn 30 so naturally [i]I[/i] get off at 11 goddamn 30.

Sorry, sorry, fellow?s telling me I?m swearing too godd- too much. I?ll try and cut back. We?re almost done here in any case.

So I get off work and I start walking home ? I live on Second Avenue, which is about five blocks from the Menards, so it ain?t too bad a commute, like. I?m walking and all when I see something, in the corner of my eye. It?s glowing white.

I turn to look, ain?t nothing doing but the street sign ? Main Avenue and Fifth St. Keep a note of that, that?s also important, Main and Fifth. Fifth and Main if you prefer, but way I see it only goddamn communists?d wanna order it like that!

Goddammit! I swore again! Sorry, sorry.

Anyway that?s when I see the glow ? it?s down the alleyway, way back deep in the shadows, like. And there?s this voice, and it?s? well, the voice is coming from the back of my own head.

?Space is the place,? it says.

Yeah, I know, you probably wanted something deep. Too bad, I ain?t gonna make stuff up just to make your reading experience a bit more coherent.

I follow the light.

?Space is the place.?

I keep on walking.

?Outer space is a classy place.?

And that?s when it hits me ? I know that tune. That?s Sun Ra ? free jazz. Real long, repetitive song. Four minutes of content repeated for over twenty five.

Thing is I ain?t hear

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    GM Approved

Character Sheet
    Name: Alexander Scott

Appearance: [image=http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/11100000/Young-HOT-Nestor-3-nestor-carbonell-11154943-314-460.jpg]

Residency Status: 3 weeks

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Anteinferno

?Dixitque Deus: Fiat lux. Et facta est lux.?

The fluorescent lights blazed to life overhead.

?Overly dramatic much??

?I can?t help it. How can you have this many people under your power and not feel like a god??

?You?ve got a complex. That ain?t healthy.?

?Healthy?s got nothing to do with this. We?ve got ten people locked up in here.?

One of the two men ran a hand over the smooth concrete walls. ?Yeah, I suppose we do. Any idea how long they?re going to be out of it??

?Not particularly. The concentration of the stuff is a little hard to figure out. Could be five more minutes. Could be half an hour.?

?Huh. Wonder what it does to a person?s mind.?

?Well, I?ve read conflicting reports. Some folks say you?re blacked out and any perception of dreaming, if it even occurs, is the result of a mild hallucinogenic effect s you start to wake up. The others, well??

?Well what??

?You know what they say about these things. Dreams, roads to the subconscious, symbols both universal and personal. Others say it?s just a lot of random synapses. Then there?s the middle road about ?information processing? or whatever.?

?That seemed arbitrarily deep.?

?Eh, you try not getting bored around here. I took to reading some Psychology for Dummies type books.?

?It?s like you get stupider every day.?

?Oh, go flick yourself.?

?I?m just saying, stupid is as stupid does.?

?Whatever. So what?s the point of all this subterfuge? This stuff can?t be legal.?

?I?ll make it legal. That ain?t your department. Point of fact is, one of the bastards down there is a goddamn murderer. You better believe I intend to find out which one it is? by any means necessary.?

?This is still America, y?know. We?ve got a constitutional amendment about this sort of thing.?

?Oh yeah, like that ever stops anyone. I?m a goddamn private investigator, and we?re going to do this thing my goddamn way, you got that? And if that means I gotta drug these bitches to high Hell then so. Be. It.?

?? You?re the boss.?

?Damn right I?m the boss. Christ, five murders in five days? In a town with the lowest goddamn crime rate in the nation? Besides, have you seen their files? These people are animals, they deserve to be treated like it.?

The other man kept his mouth shut, and looked down from the railing. Smooth concrete walls, ten feet on all sides, and at the bottom of them, ten figures illuminated by the harsh overhead lighting. From the glare you could tell the floor was a little wet. Some kind of leak somewhere, maybe?

?Anyway, let?s let ?em get adjusted to their new situation. They?ll have plenty of time to sing once they're awake. I wanna know just what the hell they were up to over the last week.?

The two men left the room.

Ten feet below them, bound, lying on a cold, wet cement ground, ten figures were illuminated by the harsh overhead lighting.

And that?s when they began to stir.

TAG: All

OOC: The tour guide mentioned the mundane.

... What a delightfully subjective noun that is.

15. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    August Starr
    In the hole

Headache. Cold concrete. If there would have been techno I would have felt like Berlin again. But it is too warm. Too damned warm. The US. Yeah, I am in the US. Please someone play me a Springsteen song.

"Frakin´ NSA!" I cough out and sit up. Who else could it be? Well . . . ov course it could . . . nope. Doesn´t look like it is something official. It looks like . . . whatever. What do I know what anything looks like?
    "Verdammte Sch . . . " Cursing in German is more fun. At least I am not alone. A lot of people are here who all look like they are no illegals.

It´s a poison, it´s a remedy.

Damned, what is this about? My Ohrwurm survived whatever just happened to me? Why didn´t my patience or dignity?

"Dear ladies and gents this is your wake up call. I am August from Germany and I am frekin´ dissappointed with the American hospitality!" I yell so loud that everybody hopefully wakes up.

"Okay, guys. Is this about my green card?" I shouldn´t have lied about former jobs . . . I knew I would get myself in trouble. But this here is a bit too . . . clichée for my taste. "Anybody here? I want my daily ration of freakin´ WATERBOARDING!" I kick something. Anything. "I am a GERMAN CITIZEN! I want to see my Ambassador!" No I don´t. But they are probably not even lsitening anyway. "And could someone rape the rest of my human rights? I feel so uncomplete!" I hit something else. It´s harder and my foot hurts. "HEY!"

Tag: ramza, all others

16. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Adam Easton

Eyelids slid open, vision blurry, so he blinked again. Maybe a couple times more. Hands were tied and feet were bound. He was wet. He knew his face would get wet, but he turned towards the water anyway, spitting it out. There were other bodies lying in the dim light. Someone wasscreaming about Germany. His senses grew more awake and aware as he began to get his bearings. The other bodies were beginning to stur.

He struggled against the bounds, but they were too tight. 5 seconds later, he had no success still. He spit more water away from his lips, he really hated when water ran on his lips. Craning his neck down, he pulled a cigarette to his lips. It was still dry. He then craned to look at the other bodies.

"Anyone got a light?"

Tag: All

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Xander
    Confused

Xander looked.

He didn't see much, but he could hear, and... feel... plenty.

Concrete. Wet. Bound.

He brushed someone with his leg. His automatic reaction was to apologise, feebly. "Sorry about that."

Someone was ranting.

Someone else was asking for a light.

Of all the...

He saw no need to say anything else, at least not until his eyes adjusted.

TAG: Everyone

18. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Michaela Gardner
    Unknown Location

Her eyes opened slowly

She had a massive headache

Where am I?

What happened?

I hear voices

Strange voices

Who are they?

What do they want from me?

TAG: Everyone, Ramza

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    IC: Alexander Scott

Sudden jolts. A hoarse scream. Shoulder aflame. Searing light. Dark was better. No it wasn?t.

He rolled. Exhaled. Hadn?t realized the pain was so much. His head swam anyway. With moans, jostling. . .cigarettes?

Recognition. He was moaning. And this was familiar. Even though he?d promised himself it would only happen once. The memory brought enough clarity to hold a single thought in his head. It was the same as before, except now the piteous, sobbing whisper was only in his head: ?Come and get me. I?m not okay.?

At least he thought it was.

Tag: All

20. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Camille Rodgers
    Somewhere

?Wha. . .?

Her eyes snapped open. The glare of the overhead light stung her eyes. Her heart pounded in her chest as she pondered what was happening to her.

A dream? She asked herself. Please, dear God, let it be a dream. She opened her eyes, squinting.

She was in water. Or was she sweating? Sweating while it was so cold? Her mind went in thousands of directions. She couldn?t concentrate, and then she thought of the most pressing thing. There were others.

Someone groaning about being German. Another guy asking for a cigarette. She couldn?t pay any attention, except for the fact of her child in her stomach.

?Please. Please, get me out of here. I?m pregnant! Please.? She began to cry, but the way her body rocked hurt her head even more.

TAG: ALL

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Paul Whittaker
    The Pit

Paul blinked, the harsh light from above penetrating his awareness and contributing to the pain he felt behind his eyes. A headache for sure - no, a migraine. It was a dull, thumping ache that throbbed in time with the rapid beating of his heart. He was scared, angry...cold...

Cold?

He rolled over, his body now shaking, as his arm brushed against a cool, wet puddle pooling on the stone floor. He winced and retracted his arm with disgust, struggling against his bonds as his pulse quickened.

That's when the screams - the voices - started. Wailing, ranting, desperate.

He wasn't alone; never alone.

But where was he? What was going on? Why was there so much pain?

He tried to call out to those around him, but all he managed was a weak groan. A pitiful groan. He was pitiful right now.

What was happening to him?

Another groan and he allowed himself to fall back, his head once again resting against the cold, stone floor. His gaze remained focused ahead, looking up at the light - that bright, penetrating light. For right now, the light was his only friend.

22. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    IC: C.J Karmichael
    Somewhere

A weak moan left her mouth as she stirred, her hazel eyes opening slowly, Only to squint back closed as the harsh light of the room assaulted them. Forcing them tentatively back open, she let out a grunt as she started to become more aware of her surroundings. Her vision was blurry, her head was pounding with pain, and everything was?sideways? She was lying on the ground on her side, the sensation of wetness underneath her, soaking through her checked shirt and jeans, causing a causing a chill to run through her. She tried to move but shock ripped though her as she realised her arms were bound behind her, and her legs were bound together too.

Oh?Oh god!?w-where am I?

She whimpered out, as she struggled against the bonds, her body protesting as the exertion further aggravated the aching in her body. Where was she? Hadn?t she been on the way back from the library? How did she end up here? Panic was rising in her rapidly now, she heard other voices, some screaming, some moaning, crying, yelling and swearing. It was too much, she couldn?t be here! Her heart rate was rapidly increasing, her breathing got quicker and her eyes started to sting as hot tears threatened to spill out. She felt like she was going to hyperventilate, and she was scared. Really scared

23. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    John Smith
    Down in a Hole

Soft diffuse light brings wandering mind back to the land of the conscious. For some reason I can't feel my body, it's not even a sense of numbness, there's just nothing there. Do I even still have one? It's not precisely unpleasant, floating in a sea of light, it'd just be nice if it weren't so damned bright.

Someone is ranting... about Germany? So I'm not floating alone.

Wait.

How did I get to Germany? Can't concen-.

They're speaking English, that doesn't ma--

Damn it, could everyone just shut up please! I'm trying to think.

Maybe opening eyes'll help. Something, reconnect with the world. Maybe.

IT BURNS!

O-o-ok... maybe that wasn't such a good idea. But the world is real. I think. I can feel tears on cheeks at least. That's a start.

I feel blind now, but there's still all this damned white everywhere, it's all the world's made of. White. White. Painful white. White pain? Should have stayed diffuse. I liked diffuse.

Oh for Gods sake, would you just shut up about Germany already?

A light? There's plenty of that. He's probably blind too. Blinded in white. Shouldn't it be black if I'm blind? Trick of-

Oh, cigarette. Plenty of burning too. Just put it in the white.

Maybe I can not burn if I squint. Should really try that.

Why am I wet? And cold. Hard stone against, oh. There's my back.

Back spasms!

Forcing body up in an arch. Muscles contract in complaint. Face screws up in pain. Can feel face, but pain!

How long have I been-

It doesn't matter.

Hard hurts.

Too old for-

Loosen up, damn you!

Tears in eyes for a different reason. Relief. Back finally let go.

Oh, there's some German. At least I think it is. It's certainly guttural enough.

Squinting. Still burns but not as bad. Not blind anymore, but still too much white.

Lights directly above me. In a pit? Seems that way.

Turning head, see grey stone walls, double height of a person? About. Will make getting out hard, when-

If. Definitely If. Still can't feel my arms. Probably under my back since it's laying funny. Explains spasm.

Rolling over, face ends up in wet. Did someone micturate?

Ranting continues, guy named August. Wish I could kick him in the face. Oh my head. Pounding is wearing, won't stop. And now my face is wet. Wonderful.

Doesn't smell like urine. That's good.

Floor is smooth, gray stone. Not concreted. Interesting. Where are we? Surely this isn't Jackson anymore.

Shiver runs down spine. My legs are tied. Should have been obvious in retrospect. Mind is clearer at least. Not much chance of escape though.

Young woman next to me. Short brown hair, brown eyes... I think. Hard to with shadows how they are. Nice tan. Looks panicked. Pretty.

Everyone here is panicked though. So why am I so calm?

She looks familiar for some reason. Have I seen her at Wal-Mart? Seen lot of people there.

She's starting to hyperventilate. Should say something comforting. Fat chance of it working though. Maybe find out who she is?

No. Tell her to stay calm first.

"Tiragoom." Lips worked, throat just cranky. Fun. Hope I didn't just spook her more.

Try again after swallowing some saliva. Or could try and get some of the... liquid on ground. Last resort. Don't know what else to do.

TAG: LEIGH, EVERYONE, RAMZA

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Sean King

It was a cool night on the diamond. Sean was wearing long sleeves under his jersey and could see faint vapor in front of his face each time he exhaled. He could make out the stars if he tried hard enough under the bright lights that lit the field, where all the bugs migrated. The scoreboard read 3-1 in his team's favor. He stood in the batter's box. There were runners on first and third. One out.

Don't get doubled up, he thought to himself. Get the ball in the outfield. He heard Kaylah cheering behind the fence next to the home dugout. Her cheers always drowned out everyone else's. Look for a pitch up. You don't want the offspeed. Be patient. Let him come to you.

The pitcher wound up and threw. Sean knew the pitch as soon as it left his opponent's hand. A hanger. His curveball was good when he could locate it. This time he left it up. Sean took a swing, and felt the ball connect with the sweet spot on the aluminum weapon he held in his hands. A gapper into left center. Should score the guy from first. Sean tried to run, but he tripped and fell. He tried to get up, but couldn't. His legs weighed a ton. He could barely move. He could hear his teammates shouting, his coach swearing. Nothing from Kaylah. He tried to get up again. The legs didn't get any lighter.

And then he felt a cold sensation on his body, like he was lying in a pool of water. The surface was hard. Felt like concrete.

He slowly opened his eyes as he awoke from the familiar dream. That wasn't the sun! He was under a bright light, like a spotlight. And his hands were tied behind his back. There was a sharp pain in his shoulders.

"What the hell..."

Tag: Any

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Circle the First ? You May Notice A Slight Stinging Sensation

?Well, boss, sounds like we?re getting shouted at.?

?Oh, are we? I hadn?t noticed.?

?My mistake. Yes boss, we?re -?

?Learn how sarcasm works, you ass."

They sat in silence for about five minutes.

"Alright, that's long enough. Remember to keep your face hidden, no sense spoiling the surprise yet.?

?Right, right, bitch, bitch, bitch.?

?We don?t need another round of liquid persuasion, do we?? the boss asked, holding up a syringe.

?No? no! I can be good! Please boss, not that!?

?Good boy. Now let?s go say hello to our guests.?

Had it been five minutes? Half an hour? Eternity? Time was up, regardless.

Somewhere, ten feet above the figures on the wet cement floor, a door opened.

?Meine Damen und Herren, Mesdames et Messieurs, Ladies and Gentlemen! Guden Abend, bon soir, We geht's? Comment ca va? Do you feel good? I bet you do! Ich bin euer Confrecier; je suis votre compere... I am you host!? An androgynous figure, nearly entirely silhouette as a result of the intense backlighting, leaned over the rail. He started chuckling. ?Oh, do forgive me, it?s been so long since I got to say that, and I?m just such a fan of Kander and Ebb?s work, you know how it is, you just get these urges to mix business and pleasure??

?I don?t think they?re particularly concerned about the context, boss,? said another voice.

?Too true, too true. I trust we?re all finding our accommodations? well, [i]pleasant[/i] would be the wrong way to phrase it? but y?know, bonds tight enough? Ground wet enough to cause discomfort but not so wet as to risk drowning you unfortunate bastards? Good? Good. You know?? His hands flexed around the railing. ?You know, it?s a lovely thing, waking up in a pit. Reminds you of just how predictable humans can really be. You know, no matter what people are expecting, they?re not anticipating to wake up one morning in a soggy, cement-walled pit? The resulting disconcerting effect? [i]Priceless[/i]. I suspect that even [i]my[/i] boss would ? ah, but I?m rambling. Am I rambling??

?Yes boss.?

?My apologies, ladies and gentlemen, I do so tend to start chattering on and on when I?m talking to guests. Bit of a character flaw ? and frankly, those are pretty much essential in this day and age. Think about it from your perspective ? would you find all of this nearly as disturbing as you?re finding it right now if I [i]weren?t[/i] rambling? Probably not. ?Oh, he?s just ominous,? you?d say. But if I?m rambling, ah, suddenly you?re not so sure. Suddenly your life is in the hands of someone who you?re not completely sure has their act together.?

He moved away from the railing. ?Why, if I were less than composed, I could just walk over to this switch and? oh, I dunno, kick at it a little.?

An ominous thudding noise.

A very slow

C

R

E

A

K

I

N

G

sound. The water level began to rise, just slightly.

?And then just let the water keep going up, and up, and [i]up[/i]? but no.?

Another thud, another creak. The water level stopped rising.

?You see, ladies and gentlemen, my associate and I are simple people. We desire very few things in life. First and foremost? The answers.?

He returned to the rail. ?The truth, I guess you could call it. We?re truth junkies. It?s like a drug to us. We?ve just got to have more of it. Which brings me to why you?re all here.?

The light flickered.

?Five murders. Carried out over five days in Jackson, Iowa, a town name I?m sure you recognize. On top of that, no less than three reported disappearances over a period of three more days, possibly even longer. And my associate and I have reason to suspect each of you. We intend to find ourselves a culprit and then, because we?re such super good sports about all of this, we?ll let you all go afterwards. Except the culprit. He?s goes over to [i]my[/i] boss.

?And I know what you?re thinking ? this can?t possibly be legal!?

The lights cut out.

?It isn?t. Now, I know that was a lot to process, so before I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.