main
side
curve

JCC A Thread For Artwork Ver 2 (See first post rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, May 4, 2022.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Character sketches by Mike Jordana

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 7

Oct 13, 2003
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Wacky Wednesday Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian’s 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die

[​IMG]

Colossal Stone Head (1000 – 600 BC) – Unknown
    Media: Basalt

Well, let me first just say that reading the words “Colossal Head” really took me back to some of my nicknames in Grade School, but enough about that.

These heads were created by the Olmec people thousands of years ago and have been found at countless sites in Mexico. La Venta is an archeological site that scholars believe was the capital of the Olmec empire. Four of these stone heads were found at La Venta and they’ve now been moved to a nearby museum close to Villahermosa.

This is the most well-preserved of the stone heads; the others from La Venta have parts of their facial features worn away, but this one is absurdly well preserved given that it’s maybe 3,000 years old. It’s just shy 8 feet tall, just short 7 feet wide & just short 6 ½ feet deep and it weighs 24 tons. For reference, here’s a picture of one of the other stone heads from La Venta with an adult and child silhouette added for scale. This one is smaller than the main one, at only 20 tons.

[​IMG]

If you’re wondering how people 3,000 years ago transported boulders that weighed upwards of 50,000 pounds over distances of approximately 100 miles (from the basalt rich mountains of Veracruz), well, luckily we have an expert here to teach us about the ancient Olmec civilization and their surprisingly advanced transportation technology.

[​IMG]

Okay, well, actually, never mind. Regardless, I find ancient art like this absolutely fascinating. The scale of this thing is amazing and just the idea that people were alive 3,000 years ago and created this and it still exists is just mind-blowing to me. Seeing ancient art like this in person is often a very spiritual experience for me. Maybe part of that has to do with me being a Native American; I feel something kind of profound about these lost cultures of indigenous people and the art they left behind. This is pretty well always the case, but I suspect pictures don’t do these justice. I’d love to see these in person, to really feel the weight of them.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 SFTC UFC Bonanza Winner star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 7

Oct 13, 2003
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Horizon by Mickael Forrett

Iron_lord, Juliet316 and Gamiel like this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 7

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Music by Treelight
    AlystraeaArt
    https://www.deviantart.com/alystraeaart/art/Music-by-Treelight-921021060

My 2022 summer project was a re-do of this early art of the House of Finarfin, this time with several others of the Finwean clan - a happy family gathering but with dark undertones: Fëanor staring at Galadriel's hair and silmaril-inspiration sparking in his mind, and the shadows in the foreground cast by the treelight.

After several Sad Maglors, it's time for Happy Maglor making music in Aman! I also wanted to try drawing something besides a harp. So here are the clan with a flute, tambourine, and instruments inspired by the erhu (Galadriel), guzheng (Maglor), lute (Finrod and Fingon) and pipa (partially hidden, held by Maedhros).

Foreground: Turgon playing a flute, Galadriel annoyed by Fëanor, Finrod and Maglor singing a duet, Aredhel playing a tambourine. (Aredhel and Galadriel are the same age, and maybe the elven equivalent of 13-14 years old here.)

Background: Eärwen and Finarfin dancing, Celegorm objecting to Huan's singing, Fingolfin with baby Argon and Anairë, Fingon and Maedhros more interested in each other's company than in music.

Software: MyPaint 1.0. Because it is so basic, the arches, the grille pattern and the embroidery were all painfully drawn in wobbly freehand over 2-3 months. But I'm so familiar and comfortable with 1.0 by now, that I can't motivate myself to learn other freeware yet.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    VadersLaMent, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

A Neo-Baroque piece by modern artist Roberto Ferri

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Cyborg Succubus by Jacek Irzykowski

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Marco Checchetto homage 1

[​IMG]

Marco Checchetto homage 2
    [​IMG]

And Michael Lark DD #88 homage take 1 (The hand and hair are rough, but I am thrilled with how his face turned out.)

[​IMG]
    If I ever meet Michael at a con, I’ll probably ask him to recreate this panel.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Thor Ragnarok City Concept by Fred Gambino

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian’s 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die

[​IMG]

Nazca Lines (500 BC – 500 AD) – Unknown
    Media: Dirt

Well, this is just one of my all-time favorite things. Not a whole lot is known about the Nazca people of ancient Peru, but they had a drive to create these glyphs for some reason or other. Essentially, these are literally lines drawn in the sand; the top layer of dirt was removed in order to reveal a different color of dirt underneath and this method was used to create scores of huge drawings in the desert sands, ranging from simple shapes to complex renderings of animals and people. More than 70 of them are representational, depicting animals, humans and plants. Above you see one of my favorites, the hummingbird. I just love how graceful the line is . . . and, of course, it is just the one single line, yet it traces a recognizable image.

For scale, here’s a picture of the lizard. You can also see the tree in that picture, though it's upside down from the angle of this picture; those prongs at the "top" are actually the roots. That’s one of the official observation towers on the site from which visitors can view the drawings. Yes, those are cars in the parking lot and those are people milling about the cars. So . . . not small, these drawings.

[​IMG]

Were they created as part of religious rituals? Expressions of creativity? Social bonding? Messages to the gods? Messages to aliens? Contrary to popular opinion, one does not have to be looking directly down from above to appreciate the drawings; they can be seen from nearby hills, so maybe not aliens after all. Regardless, these are fascinating to me and it’s amazing that they’ve been preserved so well over the millennia; due to the desert setting, there isn’t much in terms of damaging weather, like rain or extreme winds. Climate change could be changing that and the lines have been damaged accidentally over the years by plenty of people. Still, the images remain and I find them very spiritual to contemplate. I’d love to see them in person one day.

Until then, I leave you with one of the undying symbols of human life, depicted in the very ground they walked on by the Nazca people hundreds and hundreds of years ago, just as beautiful now as it was then: the spiral. A symbol out of the past.

[​IMG]

Sarge, Juliet316 , Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I can't remember if I posted this but I painted this at a work thing and.... Now I want to get some paints and paint on my own sorta?