main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC A Thread For Artwork Ver 2 (See first post rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, May 4, 2022.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

The Scorpion God - MTG by Greg Rutkowski

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Shadowmane by Andrew Domachowski

Ghost, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Tactical Flower Girl (Aerith from FFVII) by STR4HL 3D

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

By Huang Jia Wei

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

By Veli Nystrom

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian’s 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die

[​IMG]

Departure
    (1932 – 1935) – Max Beckmann
    Media: Oil on Canvas

By the time he was in his forties, Max Beckmann had achieved a tremendous amount of success in the German art world. At the age of only forty-one, he was given a highly coveted Masterclass teaching position at the Academy for Fine Arts in Frankfort. At forty-three, he received the Honorary Empire Award for German Art, one of the highest honors given in Germany for an artist. At only forty-six, there were already major retrospectives and exhibitions in his past. As the 1920s turned into the 1930s, things looked great for Max Beckmann. But fortunes turned quickly in the 1930s in Germany. At the age of forty-nine, he was removed from his teaching position. His work took on a more and more political tone and the darkness that had always been present became more pronounced. In 1937, Hitler’s government confiscated more than 500 Beckmann paintings from around the country and many of them were displayed in the Nazi’s Degenerate Art exhibition as examples of art at its most immoral. That same year, Max Beckmann fled the country for the Netherlands and wouldn’t return to Germany for over ten years.

It's easy to see all of this turmoil in Departure, one of Beckmann’s most famous works. It’s a triptych. On the outer two panels, we see people bound and tortured. In one panel, as a pair of people are bound together by a third, a drummer marches by; is this man leading a military parade? In the other, a man has had his hands severed and his bloody stumps bound to a pillar; in front of him is a plate of fruit. Is this man an artist, interrupted in painting a still life, now prevented from ever painting again? Meanwhile, in the center panel, people are on a boat and Beckmann spoke, surprisingly candidly for an artist, on this center panel in particular: “The King & Queen have freed themselves . . . The Queen carries the greatest treasure – Freedom – as her child in her lap. Freedom is the one thing that matters. It is the departure, the new start.” Beckmann, of course, also denied that this painting was political. I suppose in 1935, he would have. It is, I think, entirely a meditation on the fears and hopes of an artist in Germany as the Nazis are rising to power. I think it is the way that this painting seems to speak so directly to Beckmann’s life story that gives it the power it has and has made many consider it his masterpiece.

Personally, I find all that compelling to talk about and think about, but I just don’t like Beckmann’s style very much. Part of it is the blocky, cartoony style, I think. I just don’t like the look. But that isn’t it entirely because the one Beckmann that I really love is one of his most angular and disturbing, Descent from the Cross.

[​IMG]

I love how grotesque this one is. When one loves and studies art, one grows very accustomed to crucifixions, if you know what I mean. There were definitely periods of time when it seems like every other painting was some version of Christ on the cross. What Beckmann does here is bring the real horror back to the scene. The body of Christ here is disproportionally elongated, looming over the other figures and it’s emaciated and broken. It’s an uncanny and unsettling image and, while I don’t like them in a lot of other Beckmann paintings, those elements really work here to remind us of just how horrifying and gruesome the actual scene would have been. It’s a compelling corrective to the romanticized and beautiful paintings other artists often produced and for that reason I really love it. Departure, on the other hand, is mostly interesting as a piece to be talked about, rather than viewed.

Next time, we’ll start a little side project with an artist that only has one artwork on the list himself, but will also serve as an introduction to one of his more famous and well-regarded siblings. That should be interesting.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Rogue1-and-a-half and Iron_lord like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Demon Summoning by Clark Ocleasa

Ghost, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    VadersLaMent, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Mammon, the Sin of Greed by Alex Farina Fernandez

Ghost, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty by Ekaterina Burmak

Ghost, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Face of the War Criminal by TedJohansson on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "January 1st this year was the 80th anniversary of the anti-Nazi propaganda short film “Der Fuehrer’s Face” starring Donald Duck.

Before the film’s release, in September 1942, the band Spike Jones and His City Slickers released a version of Oliver Wallace’s theme song, which just as the film goes under the title “Der Fuehrer’s Face”. The song was very popular and peaked at No. 3 on the U.S. chart.

On the sheet music cover (I will show it in the comment section) you can see Donald throwing a tomato in Hitler’s face. So I thought it would be interesting to make a modern twist on this cover by replacing Hitler with the war criminal of our time – Vladimir Putin. I find it very fitting that Donald’s sailor shirt has the same colors as the Ukrainian flag.

The film “Der Fuehrer’s Face”, which was directed by Jack Kinney and written by Joe Grant and Dick Huemer, was made to sell war bonds during World War II. The film won the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film (The category was then known as “Short Subjects, Cartoons”) at the 15th Academy Awards. It’s the only Donald Duck film to receive the honor. “Der Fuehrer’s Face” marks the 10th Oscar for Disney in the “Short Subjects, Cartoons” category, with “Flowers and Trees” as the first one.

One thing I learned after I had drawn my version of the cover art is that a local court in Kamchatka, Russia decided to include “Der Fuehrer’s Face” in the national list of extremist materials, which was first created in 2002. This was due to a local who received a suspended sentence of six months for uploading it to the internet and “inciting hatred and enmity”. In 2016, another Russian court reversed the ruling of the local court and the short film was removed from the extremist list.

I hope Ukraine wins this terrible and unjust war! I suffer so with the Ukrainian people!"

[​IMG]