main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I'm excited to see a Star Wars movie that gets to focus on "just" being a war movie. My hope for the spinoffs has always been that they would focus on one genre per film (since the main saga films are a mix of so many different things), so this is right up my alley.

And, regardless of what kind of Star Wars fan you are, I am pretty giddy about the fact rhat, for the first time since 1983, Rogue One will presumably be showing us the full range of OT imagery on the big screen. Classic X-Wings, Classic Stormtroopers, the Death Star... the works. That's pretty cool.

My inner PT fan will continue to wait for a House of Cards-esque Palpatine political thriller. A man can dream.

2. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Well, I don't know if I'll see it. It doesn't seem to have a premise that could sustain my interest for a whole movie. Maybe a short film or an episode of an animated TV show. It seems to be giving a lot of credit where credit is not due to whoever stole the Death Star plans. The director is saying these are the saviors of the galaxy, not a Jedi "God" with "magical powers." Jeez. I guess it is meant to be an alternate prequel for people who didn't care about the main storyline and don't like the idea of the power of the individual. Seems like something for a Rebel Assault game, actually, not a movie with a story. And I don't really think the first spinoff should contain a critique of Star Wars.

With the increased focus on stormtroopers and pilots, I think we're going to be getting more politicized and less philosophical Star Wars movies than ever before. I'm thinking it will be like The Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy. Go Go Teamwork trope. I'll bet a million dollars there's an airforce commercial beforehand with a starfield that pans down to an aircraft carrier.

The characters in the film realize that the 'gods are not coming to save us,' he said. 'It comes down to a group of people who don't have magical powers who band together to bring hope to the galaxy.'

Sounds like Phil Strub's wet dream.

"There are these enduring stereotypes - Jungian archetypes - and they often show up in uniform in movies and TV shows. One of the things that comes up all the time is [that]to be a hero you have to defy the rules of your organization because they're no good. And you also have to do it as a loner. Going on your own and recklessly prevailing seems to be a very popular way of portraying people, and of course antithetical to the military ethos." - Phil Strub

Bye, bye Luke. Hello Rogue One.

Episode IV: Another Newer Hope, But Really We Loosened the Jar

Also, if the Rebels think the Jedi are extinct (for a whole era no less), then what's with the show Rebels? They clearly know of at least 3 young, active Jedi from that time period in the 5 years before Episode IV. Disney is not going to kill them off.

My take is, Force Awakens is an Episode V reboot, and Rogue One is an Episode IV reboot. But the kind of reboot where they just take the superficial elements and graft them on to a modern film. KHAAAAAAAAN! I think Disney would love to start over, but they won't take that risk. They'll be "respectful" and take the most familiar elements and redo them their way.

3. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    ^ This pretty much.

The intent for these movies appear to be all wrong. They just want to cash in on disgruntled OT fans and the iconic imagery of the old films. Star Wars is about the new, not rehashing old formulas.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    says who?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Pretty much every thing we know about the film so far. There doesn't appear to be many new ideas. It's all Empire, Stormtroopers, Tie fighters etc. Even the planets appear to be de facto copies of OT planets.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jedi aren't the only group in SW. One of the more important sure but Rouge 1 is set during the Dark Times. You know, when the Jedi Order is supposed to be extinct? Showcase the common people! The common people rising up against Palpatine makes the movement more meaningful imo. I don't want the Jedi to be involved in every little event in SW.
    Rebels is 4 years earlier. More than enough time for them to die or vanish. And who says that everyone would have heard of them?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

Now it's going to be even bigger than that.

At least 9.

The effects of Anakin becoming Vader and then turning back to Anakin still resonate at the trailer shows:

What I like is that on the one hand we have Anakin's Darth Vader helmet with which he did great evil but also ultimately good (destroying the Sith) and on the other hand we have his Lightsaber with which he did great good but also evil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we have the two sides of Anakin. His good side on the Light Side of the Force and his evil side on the Dark Side of the Force. In both cases he was not totally good or totally evil but there was a balance between the two as he was on both sides.

8. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    Not even slightly interested in it. ANH is my least favorite of the Saga and I'm not too thrilled for a basic war film that prequels it.

SoloBrothers and KenW like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Netflix series:

The House of Palpatine.

10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    That honestly would be awesome. Getting deeper into Palpatines political schemes would be interesting to see.

11. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Well, just the fact that it seems like Rogue One is described as during an era (usually means more than a couple years) with no Jedi known to the rebels, and the show Rebels is about Jedi working with the rebels, during that same exact era... Seems like this new Disney continuity is going to fall apart pretty quickly. So much for getting rid of the EU to make continuity easier. Even if the excuse is that Rogue One team was not told anything about Jedi by the rebellion, the idea that they had no access to Jedi resources whatsoever, and they were completely on their own, is already undermined. It seems each movie, series and comic book is going to be somewhat free to take creative license with the continuity, which is just what the EU was already. Disney plans on making unlimited content. It's impossible to keep strict continuity with all that.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    The best part of the Death Star battle was when Luke used the force and Vader sensed the force in Luke. Without that, it's just Iron Eagle or Red Tails, which is good, but not Star Wars level good.

13. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Ya, I have a similar dream of a Palpatine/Plagueis stand alone inspired as much as possible from the legends book. Atho, they would probably need to do a trilogy or TV series to really realize that kind of rich deep-dish story.

14. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

The House of Sheev...

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  16. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    About time! I had given up hope of giving Rebels a proper chance. Thanks thejeditraitor.

Pensivia and thejeditraitor like this.
  17. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Tried to watch a Rebels ep on SW.com but could not get the video to play (tried at several different times). No error messages, just either completely black screen or with a little "waiting/loading" circular icon that never stops. Anyone have any tech tips for this problem?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    I'm not particularly anticipating Rogue One. Honestly, Jedi are my draw to Star Wars and a movie that doesn't end in a lightsaber duel isn't a Star Wars movie for me

Yes please. You could pull in bits of Darth Plagueis as well

19. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Are you using adblocking software?

Darkslayer and Pensivia like this.
  20. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    No you couldn't. That Darth Plagueis book is not canon.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He could still be mentioned. Aspects from the novel are canon as well. 4D-11 or whatever his name was is canon for example.

22. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    ^Yup. The idea that Plagueis and Palpatine were working together up to TPM is still a fascinating one, even if the specifics aren't canon anymore. The show I imagined would play out much like House of Cards, with Palpatine devising elaborate schemes against his political enemies while hiding his true identity, and instead of coming home every night to Robin Wright, he'd be coming "home" to Darth Plagueis.

Seriously, if you like the character of Palpatine, watch House of Cards. The protagonist is basically as close to a real life version as humanly possible.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't really want Plagueis alive that close to TPM but whatever. Political intrigue and training Maul would be interesting.

24. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    I thought it was weird too until I read the book. James Luceno writes it really well, and he makes Plageuis' involvement make more sense than it really should. It's probably the only Legends story that I still keep in my personal canon.

25. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It makes zero sense. 'Always two there are, a master and an apprentice. No more, no less."

Plagueis being alive while Palpatine has his own secret apprentice is the worst kind of fan fiction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.