main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They have the right to do whatever they want. But that's beside the point.

Good for whom? That's not even an objective thing to use as an argument.

And who's arguing that? He wanted to raise his newborn daughter, otherwise he would have done it. And just because George isn't doing it, doesn't mean we can't criticize them for breaking their promise (which was to follow the story George provided).

2. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    One thing that strikes me as funny is that a lot of complaints about the PT was that it was "too clean" and didn't look "lived in". One of those issues was with all the chrome that was utilized on the star ships. Now we have a CHROME storm trooper and I have yet to see any complaints on that. Funny isn't it?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For the people who want Lucas' vision of the ST followed as much as possible. That's kind of impossible if someone else sees it through to completion imo. The treatments are not the final movie. There are going to be plenty of JJ quirks which, will make it pretty different from if Lucas did it in its entirety. JJ isn't GL and vice-versa.
    Lucas can do whatever he wants with his life but if people are going to hold TFA and the ST to Lucas levels as if he was doing the whole thing they are probably going to be disappointed. Maybe not. Who knows?
    Where do we cross the line? Must it be 100% of what Lucas wanted or is there wiggle room? Will some fans accept wiggle room? Etc.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Then it would be good no matter what. And those same people, where I'm included, are not against the director having some creative freedom as long as it follows Lucas' story. Discarding it and going in another direction is the issue we are arguing about. You are not addressing that argument by saying that it would be different no matter what.

5. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Back in the 1970's, Lucas said that he was considering letting other people make their own films in the Star Wars universe and do their own thing.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Jar Jar Abrams is wrong, anyway.

Gungans are all about cartilage, not bone. [face_clown]

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I wondered about that! LOL

Cryogenic likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

JJ does not know his Canon.

9. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Nice idea for a thread. Unfortunately for me, I'm kinda at an all-time low with all things Star Wars and Indiana Jones right now. A real funk. So I doubt I'd have much to say about current horizons that wouldn't be increasingly jaded. And who wants to be a buzz-kill, right? Still, it's nice to read up on some optimism here and there.

10. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Been there, I was kinda in a Star Wars funk too around 2010 to 2012. Nothing new was going on and I was so disappointed with The Force Unleashed 2. I started getting back in just a few months before the big announcement a few years ago. My advice would be to rewatch the movies or take a break. There's going to be plenty of Star Wars in a few short months.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I can relate. I've been keeping an eye on Episode VII news, but more because of the old habit of visiting this website than any true excitement for Star Wars moving forward. Probably not a coincidence that these days my favorite Lucasfilm character is John Milner.

El Jedi Colombiano, Ingram_I and KenW like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Avengers: Infinity War will shoot entirely in iMax: http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=31338017&postcount=538

This is the type of thing George Lucas would have done, and it's part of why I'm dissapointed he's not directing this one. This also makes me baffled as to why Star Wars wasn't on this first - it's always been about pushing the technological envelope with the franchise, not going old school. News like this is why I am skeptical of Episode VII.

13. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah, some fans were so happy that J.J. was shooting Episode VII on 35mm film. Nobody should have been happy about that. As you say, Star Wars has always been about pushing technological boundaries. Lucas had said he wanted to shoot his next films in high frame-rate, i.e. the way Peter Jackson filmed The Hobbit movies and how James Cameron is filming the Avatar sequels. Star Wars should have been the first to do that. George also would've shot at a full 60fps, instead of 48fps. And he would've filmed them in 3D. And I'm sure he would've done something else new and different that no one else has done. That's what revolutionary filmmakers do. They push the envelope and do new things. They don't go backward like J.J. is doing. All to recapture some sense of nostalgia for the old films. That's not Star Wars.

Star Wars also doesn't release in December. [face_frustrated]

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm gonna be honest the December thing doesn't bother me lol. Especially since a) I have an awesome Avengers movie to see again right now, b) gives them more time to work on the film, and c) Episode VIII is moving back to May.

I really think Episode VIII has a chance to be something special, I have confidence in Rian Johnson.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    If they needed more time they should have moved Episode VII to May 2016. >_>

And yeah, Rian Johnson's film(s) should be better as he is a vastly better filmmaker/director than J.J. Abrams. Brick was awesome and even though I didn't like the story of Looper, it was still well-directed. I just hated the story cuz it was bad. <_<

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well don't forget Disney has Captain America: Civil War coming out in May of 2016, they wouldn't want to compete with themselves.

17. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    They can move Civil War back to beginning of April when Winter Soldier was released. No problem. And if not, releasing TFA 3 weeks after Civil War won't cannibalize their sales much at all. Summer movies are all fairly front heavy.

I mean, it's too late to make these decisions now, but back when they decided to bump it to December, they could've done all this instead. But now it's too late. And now it'll be cold when a Star Wars movie comes out. :mad:

I miss George. :_|

18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    They couldn't do that, then they'd be competing with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Also, ya 3 weeks after wouldn't hurt their sales much, but it would hurt them - just remember why Disney cancelled Clone Wars, need I say more about why they wouldn't want that? :p

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd say it shouldn't be news to begin with. J. J. always shot on film, so it should come as no surprise that he was going to shoot Star Wars on film.

20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i like whedon with the avengers but not for sw. i loved the hobbit films and i'm glad pj is still pushing the envelope, somebody has too now that gl is retired. cameron does but i'm as invested in the avatar series as i was with tolkien and sw.

22. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice? You call that competition? With Captain America? There was a reason why Warner Bros moved that film back to March from it's original May 6th release date and that's because they were afraid of Civil War. :p

How funny would it have been if when BvS: DoJ still had a May 6th release date that Disney announced they were moving Civil War back to first week of April and Star Wars was moving to May 20th? That would have been awesome. :p

And Disney canceled Clone Wars because they are stupid jerks. :mad:

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya I call BvS competition. It's got the 2 biggest superheroes on the planet in one movie for the first time, and is featuring the live-action debut of Wonder Woman. Aquaman and Cyborg are in it as well, along with Lex Luthor. I am biased though, as I really like the DC movies. :D

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd rather have TFA come out in December instead of having to wait another year from now.

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    d.c. are nowhere near marvel features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.