main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy A Tide of Flames: a d20 Dungeons & Dragons adventure

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Saintheart, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    In this case, Saint has helpfully posted the stats for the opponent. In most cases, this stays behind the screen, along with anything short of an allied NPC (also, it's Barkskin that boosts the AC via natural armor, Stoneskin just provides Damage Reduction 10/adamantine)

Additionally, in the case of critical hits, another option is to instead multiply the result before you roll, so it would have been 2d8+4 instead of (1d8+2)x2. Statistically, this makes it stick closer to an average result which will be higher than the average damage roll for the normal attack, though it tends to avoid the extremes of double maximum damage or double minimum damage (it's rather hilarious when you critical for two points of damage). I kind of like option 2, just because it means rolling more dice.

Saintheart likes this.
  2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    (It occurred to me afterwards that I really had to change the AC down to 16 so Conan would get his hit in.) :)

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I'd rather do the rolling myself. Not sayin' I dont trust you, but taking that part of D&D away just makes this game more like the others and less D&D. Which isnt why I joined. I miss those nasty little Fates.

His second, which is statistically unlikely: there's a 5% chance on any d20 roll it'll come up 20. Hence the "I'm on fire" remark.

Statistics my butt! My group rolled twenties often. :D

We also rolled 100% often too, which as you know is bad. Very bad.

I dunno either the DM had a machine under the table that affected our dice or the fates decided to just be nice to us one night and then horrible to us the next night. Lol.

Saintheart likes this.
  4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Statistics my butt! My group rolled twenties often.

As I've always said, no matter how unbeatable you believe your dragons to be, a series of statistically improbable natural 20s will invariably prove otherwise. :D

We also rolled 100% often too, which as you know is bad. Very bad.

There's a good reason they number MI6's "licences to kill" with the prefix '00'. :)

5. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Anyways, while I fight the temptation to hunt down MasterPrenn and give his spot to someone else, time for some happy funtime edits.

I've already gone through and copied down everyone's sheets onto a document, and then started making changes. Just a few notes:
    -Ariel's Spot and Listen are at +9 and +7, respectively
    -Radok's Jump is at -6 (20 ft move speed gives a -6 to jump checks thanks to short legs). Also, as a dwarf fighter, he's eligible for the Racial Substitution level from Races of Stone, which gives him d12 HD instead of d10 for first level only, at the cost of his fighter bonus feat being "Weapon Focus (axes)". Since he already has that feat anyways, I'm fine if he wants to take six more HP for 1st level only.
    -Skadi's Touch AC is 11, I forgot to make the change when she went from having no Dex bonus to a +1 bonus. Everything else is in order though

And now, on to the regional stuff. Faerûn (the continent, Abeir-Toril is the name of the world) is kind of big.

[image=http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_maps/FRposterLarge_150.jpg]

It is also full of different regions, like so:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/c/c4/Faerun_political.jpg]

Anyways, different groups tend to hail from different regions, with different experiences and such. Why should you consider picking a region? Because you get free stuff! Regions determine your bonus languages, eligibility for certain unique Regional Feats that are a bit more potent than your average feat, and you get some interesting starting equipment, or just some extra gold.

For instance, take a look at Ariel. As an Avariel, she's from the Snow Eagle Aerie region of Faerûn, a region so secretive that it's not actually listed on the map (ok, it's in the Icerim Mountains of the Rasheman region). The Avariel are really good at climate control inside the Aerie). In addition to Common (which everyone gets, it's sort of the language of trade of Faerûn), she also gets the Elven and Auran languages as a bonus (the languages of the elves and the creatures of the air). Since she has a bonus language from having 13 Intelligence (a +1 bonus), she can select one more language from among Damaran, Draconic, Giant, Rashemi, Sylvan, or Tuigan (Damaran, Rashemi and Tuigan are different human languages, Sylvan is the language of the fey). Since the Avariel worship Aerdrie Faenya, it's not a bad idea for her to do the same (which she does). Also, for her first level feat (and only her first level feat), she's can choose between Artist, Education, Fearless or Mind Over Body if she wishes, or she can just take any other feat. In her case, she chose Fearless. Does it represent decades of being blown off a mountain by gale winds? Or does it just represent a complete lack of survival instinct? Either way, she's completely immune to fear (which is rather useful, since panicked creatures attempt to flee as fast as possible, and since she can fly faster than any of you can run, you'd never see her again). Since she has a rapier already, I instead replaced it with a masterwork rapier, which gives +1 to attacks (yay!).

Now, you don't have to do quite as much as that, you can just bask in the free stuff. Take Corrath for example. As a half-elf from the Silver Marches area (listed as "Silverymoon" under the elven table), she gets Elven and Illuskan as automatic languages, and chose Chondathan and Sylvan as bonus languages from her 15 Int (+2 bonus). She didn't need the feats, but a masterwork rapier means her melee attack isn't negative any more (wait until she gets Weapon Finesse)!

Skadi is a human from the Sea of Fallen Stars area (the body of water to the southwest, below Calisham and the Lake of Steam). She's a Cali****e from the Calisham area, since they're pretty much the predominant people around this region. As such, she gets Alzhedo as an automat

Saintheart likes this.
  6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Well if we're to pick a region, Id pick Tethyr. Seems to fit my character based on the info of that thread you provided.

Saintheart likes this.
  7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Ok, Tethyrian from Tethyr it is, added Chondathan to your languages and explained where you got the chain mail.

Care to tag in one of your feats for a regional feat?

Blooded: +2 to Initiative, +2 to Spot, Ignores the effects of the "shaken" condition, though you still can be frightened or panicked.

Furious Charge: Charge attacks give +4 to hit instead of +2

Luck of Heroes: +1 luck bonus to all saves and AC

Saintheart likes this.
  8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Blooded sounds good. So I add this to the ones I already have or what?

Saintheart likes this.
  9. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    No, you replace one of your first level feats such as Improved Initiative with Blooded.

Saintheart likes this.
  10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Hmm... +5 Initiative or a +3 Initiative with a +6 Spot and no shaken effects.

*drums fingers on desk*

Okay! I'll replace Improved Initiative then. Being able to see a potential threat first can balance out having to end up going second or last... sometimes.

Saintheart likes this.
  11. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Celbrandir would likely be from a wooded or forrested region, Where do we see the region names on the maps? i see the names of certain woods but not the region names, or at least I dont know how to identify them.

Saintheart likes this.
  12. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    2nd map contains the regions. Also, you're a moon elf, so you might want to pick from regions such as the Elven Court (part of the Forest over in the Dalelands), Evereska (city located in the Western Heartland, near the border of the Anauroch), Evermeet (an elf island off the western edge of the map), Silverymoon (located in the Silver Marches) or Waterdeep (though Waterdeep is a huge city, so maybe not Waterdeep).

Saintheart likes this.
  13. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    I'll go with elven court(hope i'm not picking wrong :( )

I'm not sure i ever picked moon elf but I like their look so its not a bad thing

Saintheart likes this.
  14. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Moon elf= generic elf. Sun elf is like Moon Elf, but with a +2 bonus to Intelligence instead of Dexterity, Wild Elf and Wood Elf have a -2 penalty to Intelligence instead of Constitution, with Wild Elf having a favored class of Sorcerer and Wood Elf having a favored class of Ranger. Drow are, well... Drow.

Saintheart likes this.
  15. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I think on the CS generator I said Simwar was from Amn (and probably identified his specific Halfling....race?) because I liked the description of "Like Medieval Spain(/Portugal?)". Light, what are my prizes for that?

And not everyone automatically gets Common. My friend was trying to make a Centaur character, and I can't remember why, but he couldn't get Common so he opted for a reasonably normal Cleric.

Saintheart likes this.
  16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Reading off the 3.0 Forgotten Realms sourcebook (I assume it hasn't changed much) there are these regional feats available for Amn. Again, feat replacement applies if you want to take any of them:

Cosmopolitan: Pick 1 nonexclusive skill. You get a +2 on checks with that skill, and it becomes a class skill for you.
    Education: All Knowledge skills are class skills for you. +2 on 2 Knowledge skills of your choosing.
    Silver Palm: +2 on all Appraise and Bluff checks.
    Street Smart: +2 on Bluff and Gather Information checks.

17. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Standard halfling is Lightfoot halfling. Ghostwise halfling doesn't have the standard halfling bonus to save, but instead communicates telepathically with one individual at a time provided they understand the same language. Their favored class is barbarian, and I am not making this up. Strongheart halfling replaces the halfling bonus to saves with a bonus feat. Anyways, as a Lightfoot halfling from Amn, you get a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds and Masterwork Studded Leather Armor (which has no armor check penalty, meaning it doesn't interfere with movement or sneaking).

Common is the basic language of trade, and I really don't see a problem with giving it to players for free if they want it. If you don't want it, I hope you enjoy pantomime and making funny noises (I had an NPC who only spoke Aquan and was completely illiterate. Fun times).

Saintheart likes this.
  18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Could we possibly start now rather than wait on the final player? I mean that player can be put into the game even as it is going. Why make those who've already got their CSs done? We'll just end up having people jump ship because they're impatient. Not that I'm going to jump ship or anything, just think we can play while we wait on the last player.

Saintheart likes this.
  19. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I'm helping him finish as we speak. Saintheart can start the game as soon as he'd like, Prenn will be ready.

Saintheart likes this.
  20. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Ooh, I didn't realize my character would get Illuskan as a language too. And a masterwork rapier... excellent. :D

Saintheart likes this.
  21. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Ok, Prenn is mechanically sound, all that's left is for him to fill in the personality, appearance, bio, name, age, height, weight stuff. And you guys will find out that Conan the Librarian isn't really a joke.

Saintheart likes this.
  22. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    does elven court region have any benifits?

Saintheart likes this.
  23. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    You get Chondothan as a bonus language. Bonus gear is either a masterwork chain shirt, or a scroll of barkskin and a scroll of tree shape, but good luck either wearing armor or casting druid spells.

Saintheart likes this.
  24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Name: Thorbald Elthozor
    Race: Human (Chondathan)
    Class: Monk 1
    Hit Dice: 1d8+1 = 25

Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft

AC: 10+3 Dex +4 Int +1 Dodge = 18
    Touch AC: 18
    Flat-Footed AC: 10

Base Attack: +0
    Grapple: +1
    Attacks: +1 unarmed or -1/-1 unarmed
    Damage: 1d6+1 unarmed
    Face/Reach: 5x5, 5 ft
    Special Attacks: Flurry of Blows, Stunning Fist 1/day (DC 14), Unarmed Strike
    Special Qualities:
    Saves: Fort -3, Ref -5, Will - 3
    Abilities: Str-12, Dex - 17, Con -13, Int -18, Wis -12, Cha -10

Skills: Balance +9, Climb+5, Heal+5, Hide+7, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Listen +5, Move Silently +7, Spot+5, Tumble +7

Feats:
    Carmendine Monk: From Champions of Valor, allows the monk to use his Intelligence Score in place of his wisdom score for Unarmed Dodge bonus and stunning fist DCs. Can study notes for 1 hour to treat either unarmed strike damage, dodge bonus, or speed bonus as a monk of 2 levels higher for 24 hours
    Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike*, Stunning Fist*
    Languages: Chondothan, Common, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Orc
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Deity: Deneir
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 200 lbs.

Equipment: Bed pack, various scrolls and academic materials. A pipe set, and small bowl for food.

Appearance: Fairly large and in shape, blue eyes and dark blond hair, which is kept fairly short. Shaggy beard. Naturally attractive.
    Personality: Stoic and analytical. A natural leader who tends to keep to himself when not needed, though is well liked be most he talks to.
    Biography: From a very early age, Thor loved information. While most of his peers were playing or busying themselves with activities more suited to their age group, Thor could be found reading books or listening to lecturers who came through town. It seemed a logical decision then, for Thor's parents to send him off to the best religious education they could afford, which was quite adequate. After completing his schooling, Thor decided to become a devotee of Deneir, with the Zealots of the Written Word, with whom he has been studying and living ever since.

Saintheart likes this.
  25. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    what about evermeet?

Saintheart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.