main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series A Vader vs Kenobi duel between eps 3 & 4 - Does it breaks canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Jun 5, 2022.

?

A Vader vs Kenobi duel between eps 3 & 4 - Does it breaks canon?

1. No

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't think it does, no. I've been saying for years there are lines in ANH and ROTJ that make another meeting between ROTS and ANH possible.

2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Giving up? To quote Mark Hamill, “a Jedi never gives up..”

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think it breaks canon. Quite the opposite actually-I feel that it helps enrich their history, to the point that when we see the two meet up (or them even just talk about each other) in ANH we see it in a whole new light-and it all means something different. This also applies to Leia as well, in a good way IMO. In the hologram message she sends with R2 in ANH, she makes it sound like she knows him. Well, now we can say she DOES-from when she was little (if not also later on). I like that idea a lot actually; that both Luke AND Leia sort of know him from throughout their childhood!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Shaak Ti and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think it’s a matter of opinion. There is literally nothing canon-breaking about it.

5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    On that point at least I agree. We can nitpick just how much of ANH's dialogue makes sense/doesn't with any given interpretation but it really boils down to whether or not the new information enhances or weakens the story as a whole. From my perspective the series has been kind of a mixed bag in that regard, even as its execution has been entertaining so far.

I don't like the *concept* of a duel between ROTS and ANH because I think it dilutes the emotional impact of their later meeting.
    I don't like the *concept* of Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine because it makes his mission there feel less important.
    I don't believe any of this was completely *necessary* to explain things like Vaders line in ROTJ, Obi-Wan knowing about Anakins survival, or Leia seemingly recognizing Ben's name in ANH. For the most part simple logic or paying attention in ROTS addresses all such questions.

But *despite* my distaste with these idea's and others, I still think things like seeing Alderaan/Bail/Breha again, young Leia, and her interactions with Ben does add a lot of additional emotional depth and interesting subtext to their later characterizations and stories which I very much do enjoy. I have come to terms with those things I don't like as they have been known for months or years now, and while the *idea* rubs me the wrong way I can enjoy what we see on screen for its own value divorced from its impact on the rest of the saga.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its all gonna be from a certain point of view thinking. judging by leaks. and this isn't a major spoiler

Obi Wan figures out Vaders weakness to win the last fight.

So you probably could assume Vader gets beaten, and him saying he was but the learner is his acceptance of how he learned from his failure. He won't let Obi Wan do it again.

Jedi_Goulden_25 likes this.
  7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I think this question can only really be answered once everyone has seen the last episode.

For me, it has to end with Kenobi wiping the floor with Vader for the line in ANH to make any kind of sense.

Erkan12 likes this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Although I was initially very ambivalent about Kenobi and Vader facing each other again in between ROTS and ANH, I've actually come around to it. The duel on Mustafar was so operatic and emotional, whereas the Death Star duel has knowing formality to it. Bridging the gap between the tones of those two duels isn't necessarily obligatory, but I understand the intention in finding a middle ground between both. And of course, it's clear the fight in Part 3 is only a precursor to a later showdown in this series.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    For those having trouble with this just imagine Vader saying, “When I left you I was but the learner… in the dark side, now I am the master… in the dark side.” Does this not make sense? He left Obi-Wan to join the dark side and got his ass kicked but now he’s a master of the dark side. This can be true whether they fought just the one time or dozens of times. And doesn’t Obi-Wan’s retort fit perfectly as well, “Only a master of evil, Darth.”

Bor Mullet, Vader Bob and TCF-1138 like this.
  10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Sure..

If you want to add dialogue to a scene that wasn't originally there.

Erkan12 likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You don’t have to add the dialogue. It’s implied by what we see in the prequels.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Vader: When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master,

Obi-Wan: only a master of evil, Darth.

Vader: that's basically what I just said...oh I see, I see, very clever Kenobi, from my point of view the Jedi are EVIL.

Obi-wan: *face palms*

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Totally. The canon lies shattered on the floor, irretrievably lost, and all hope of a normal life is now gone, leaving us naught but to wander in darkness and despair.

DarthKreVass and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    Exactly this.

Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    That's a bit of a different question to the original poster's.

But, to it I say...

I don't know yet, as there's more to see. BUT...

It's making sense (i.e., non-canon or non-dialogue breaking).

It's fun and dramatic.

And I believe it will add to Obi-Wan's fateful sacrifice in ANH nd his Force Ghost appearances (in particular the first one on Hoth in ESB).

16. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Not only that Vader being the learner there's also the line with Tarkin.

VADER: ''He is here...
    TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think so?
    VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.
    TARKIN: Surely he must be dead by now.''

Oh ok, they know Kenobi survived the Jedi hunt and they learned 10 years after ROTS, Obi-Wan was still kicking with his lightsaber but somehow Tarkin was under the impression that Kenobi ''surely'' must be dead during that 9 years time of period.

Even Kenobi's absence during 19 years time of period barely make sense that why would Tarkin surely believe Kenobi was dead, replacing this with only absence of 9 years time of period makes sense less than that if Tarkin is not delusional.

It was clearly implied that they heard nothing about Kenobi after the days of the republic.

Then Vader replies to Tarkin:
    - ''Don't underestimate the Force''.

Instead Vader should've said: ''I dueled with him 10 years after the fall of republic and he was totally fine.''

17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    No.
    Even if it did, it's nothing new in Star Wars. George made some things up as he went along in the CT, retconned some things from the CT in the prequels, there have been retcons or canon breaking in Legends, and even some in the Disney canon (which tried to keep things pretty consistent).
    Just watching George's films already seems like the two cinema duels between Vader and Obi-Wan contradict each other. If you compare the duels in III and IV, Vader is somehow very calm when he sees Obi-Wan again. I suppose you could call that character development. But it's still a stretch if their last encounter was Vader missing all his organic limbs and burning alive.

18. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    I say no sir, not today...not today! Perfectly acceptable. And as someone who's been on this site signed up since the 90's... what I say goes! :p:p:p

In all seriousness though... I don't think so. :)

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Signs point to... no.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's all good and reasonable and logical and rational... BUT...

RetropME and TCF-1138 like this.
  21. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Jedi Master star 1

Mar 14, 2015
    Possibly, but my hunch is the resolution of Season 1 will be such that Vader will "give up" searching for Kenobi. Honestly, I have a hard time believing (as time goes on) that Vader was incapable of knowing his children were out there, AND being raised by the Lars and Organa families. He probably was "okay" with it in a sense, as he was likely never fully trusting of his offspring with Palpatine.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    how does it break canon?
    dialogue in IV was very vague, its not really concrete. Reminds me how unsatisfactory explanation are declared plot holes for not liking reasoning.

and NOWHERE in III-VI, did we ever saw.
    "Obi-Wan once thought as you did."

Now this dialogue isn't vague at all, its stated as fact.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah it's less about contradicting the ANH dialogue (which is vague anyway, I think he's talking about learning in the dark side) but really more about enhancing the ROTJ dialogue "He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil" which doesn't exactly square with ROTS "You were my brother Anakin, I loved you." and "Obi-Wan once thought as you did."

Something changed Kenobi's mind. I think Vader setting him on fire did that.

starocean90 and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I think it could tie to Leia (and Luke).
    Luke wanted to redeem Vader as he was his father.

what if Kenobi wanted to redeem Anakin for Leia's sake.
    that whole dialogue about Leia asking if Kenobi is her father and how Kenobi wished he was. It was interesting exchange and plays into his guilt about Anakin.

Shaak Ti and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    One thing I see keep popping up as a complaint is that Obi-Wan leaves Luke and isn't there protecting him because that's his mission and him leaving devalues that. No one outside of Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail, and maybe R2 know that Luke and Leia are Anakin and Padme's children, so there's no reason to think that Luke is in constant danger. It's not like Obi-Wan is always there watching Luke anyway. I get the impression he just popped in from time to time to make sure he's doing okay and is just waiting to start Luke's training as a Jedi. So him leaving for a bit is okay as long as he isn't doing it all the time.

Shaak Ti, S. Raw Rats and BigAl6ft6 like this.