main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT BTS A visit to the set of ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by castin, May 17, 2020.

1. castin

castin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    Apologies if this has been posted before--I did a couple of searches and didn't find anything. http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/magicofempire.html is an excerpt from Alan Arnold's book Once Upon a Galaxy. Arnold visited the Empire Strikes Back set and miked up the entire cast and crew, then transcribed the conversations overheard from the day. The scene to be filmed is Han Solo being frozen in carbonite. Director Irving Kershner has to completely realize the scene from the ground up, not only the technical and practical aspects like lighting, blocking, prop placement, etc., but also emotional resonance, character motivation, and plot momentum. It's a fascinating read, both as a Star Wars fan and filmmaking enthusiast. Highlights include the development of the "I love you"/"I know" exchange, Carrie Fisher enthusiastically slapping Billy Dee Williams during rehearsal and getting reprimanded for it, and bodybuilder David Prowse bumbling onto set during a moment of tension to obliviously promote his new book on fitness.

The website has lots of really great articles on the development of the series, from details like "when exactly in the screenwriting process was the decision made to cut off Luke's hand?" to an appraisal of editor and onetime Lucas-spouse Marcia Lucas (nee Griffin), whose contributions to the OT appear to be both gargantuan and generally overlooked.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That was interesting. I think i read this book as a kid.

castin likes this.
  3. TOASTEROVEN

TOASTEROVEN Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    That's some interesting back-and-forth that's documented there. With some editing, it could be a one act play.

castin and christophero30 like this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Kersh sounds like he had his hands full haha

castin likes this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Awesome [face_laugh]

castin likes this.
  6. castin

castin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    I know. I love his little asides to himself. They sound so phony but then again most real-life conversation probably does if you're just reading it.

whostheBossk likes this.