main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Aaargh! The Complaining Thread.

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I made the mistake of going to Wal-Mart during lunch. The Great "OMG-It's-Gonna-Snow-or-Something!!1!1" panic had begun, so it took me an hour to get checked out with 4 items. [face_frustrated]

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    It's not even doing anything yet and people are panicking. You know there will be a couple hundred traffic accidents on the slightly damp pavement.

Ben: Woolworth's? As in the department store chain? Is administration like our Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, where they completely shut down the business and liquidate all assets?

Crapola. At what point in all of this do we line up the Ivy League geniuses who got us into this mess and shoot them? Anybody who can create a financial product based on something that doesn't exist which can ruin the global economy deserves to have his butt handed to him on a dinner plate with his genitals on the side. Instead, they get golden parachutes while folks lose their jobs. Where's the justice in that?

And it was the smart people who got us into this mess! Humanity is so totally screwed.

3. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I'll go ahead and confess that I did to the grocery store today, but it was only to get things we needed. I mean, everybody needs 2 gallons of milk and 4 loaves of bread, right?

Actually, I bought (4) 2 liters of Diet Dr. Pepper, 2 packs of lemon cookies and a pack of generic Oreos. When the next ice age hits later, I'll be prepared.

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    A man's gotta have his store-brand Oreos during an ice storm. It's what separates him from the beasts.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Only in Memphis can we take a warning where nothing really occurred and turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy. The MPD had to issue the inclimate weather policy for accidents because the folks coming in from the counties either panicked or drove like it was nothing on the overpasses of 385 when just a little bit of caution would have sufficed. Oh. lol.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    The streets weren't that wet! I had to go out towards Wolfchase this morning and I saw a police car on every overpass. It takes little to nothing to get Memphians to panic.

And I love those new signs we paid millions for that tell us absolutely nothing useful. "Watch for ice on Bridges and Overpasses". That's all the signs said. Nothing about the 40/240 Fly-over that was backed up all the way to Whitten Road, just a message about the bridges. DUH!!! Our tax dollars at work.

7. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    No, what really sucks it that we have those signs, and people still do not heed the warning. I think people in 4x4's or oversize truck think they are immune to ice and slick streets. Those were just flying past me this morning. I, for one, heeded the news this morning and chose an alternate route than the "fly over". It took a little longer to get to work, but I was on time and was not worried that someone was going to try to pass me and then slide and hit me. A couple of bridges I went over were slick, but I took it slow and everything was fine. I don't know why bad weather gives most everyone else a reason to be an idiot on the road. Common sense and leaving early will work everytime. It is not worth possibly having a wreck speeding trying to get to work on time.

Kelly

8. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I live about a mile from my office, so I just decided to walk it this morning. Which wasn't so bad this morning; the sleet on the sidewalks had a gritty feel and wasn't slick. However, all day I was in a pissy mood cuz I knew I had to walk my fat @$$ back home. Even worse, the sidewalks had become icy and I was walking with the gait of an old man and looked like a idiot.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Kelly: I drove the speed limit for once. (Yeah, I know... Hard to believe, but I actually did.) Even I'm not dumb enough to drive like my usual fool self.

Steve: What? You weren't compelled by the spirit of Brian Boitano to try a triple toe-loop and quadruple axle while you were on the ice? Dammit, man!! What's happened to you?

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    ... [face_frustrated]

Mike's new job started this week and he's getting the **** schedules.

He went in 7 am to 2pm today, and had to go back for 10 p to 6 a the rest of the week.

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We can commiserate, Rhonda. You're a third-shift widow, too. [face_plain]

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yep, I hope he doesn't have to do this one often, or even again. But I'm not holding my breath... [face_frustrated]

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    You get used to it. That doesn't stop it from sucking, but you get used to it.

14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I came home from work a little early and laid down with him and ended up falling asleep, too. I'm hoping I can actually get to sleep now. We need the money though, so whatever happens, we'll find a way to make it normal. Where I work these execs travel all the time, at least he comes home in the morning this week. He's supposed to be on 7am to 2pm for good.

15. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    Will this week hurry up and end already? In fact, good riddance to the month of January because it has sucked. [face_frustrated]

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    That bad, huh, Nicki?

I stayed home with the kids yesterday because of the snow and ice, and I'll still have worked 40 hours this week.

I'm starting this side project at work to build... and rebuild... some databases we need. Problem is, I have to rely on our one and only IT person at our company to do all the server setup for the SQL and ODBC to work so I can make this thing work right, and I hate having to rely on the unreliable. So, I'm having to see if I can take this second PC I have on my desk and turn it into an SQL server for the program I'll distribute throughout our 12 branches for 150 people to use, link it to our main program server for all of our billing and equipment data, and do it all while completely winging it because I really don't completely know what the hell I'm doing. (I've never really known what the hell I'm doing. I've learned everything I use in all of my jobs, side jobs, and hobbies by never really knowing what the hell I'm doing but diving in anyway. College is pointless, boys and girls. You learn the really useful stuff own your own.)

Oh, here's the real kicker... My company isn't allowing overtime now. (And they're freezing hiring and pay increases- just in time for my annual evaluation. Lucky me.) So, since I'm doing this on top of my real job- because I and a bunch of other folks need these databases for our jobs- I've told my boss that I'm banking the time and using it for time off later. Honestly, I'll be glad to take the extra time off, even though I really could use the extra money. But in this economy I'm just glad to have a job- and one that I like at that. So, I don't get too mad anymore when someone calls me up to create databases and run reports and do stuff that pertains to the position they ousted me from a year ago, because I know they're calling me because no one else in the entire company- including our IT Person- knows how to do what I do.

So, I'll be doing a lot of research over the next couple of months while I wing my way into learning something new. Ah, well... I winged my way into learning accounting, I winged my way into learning video editing, I guess I can wing my way into learning how to build a server.

17. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Wow, Tim.

Good Luck with that...

And all I have to complain about is the weather... And that has turned out lovely now...

Oh, and school teachers that don't follow my kids IEP. Had to go down to Ian's school and straighten a few things out. Now he's getting his own computer to use at school.
    (His handwriting is horrid and the teacher told him his story couldn't be in his class book cause she couldn't read it when his IEP says he can type his assignments in his resource lab time... Never upset a momma's kid... You don't want that kind of wrath!!!)

Niki: It'll be gone in just two more days... Hope your February's better!!!!

18. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    I have a project going to hell in a handbasket and a project team on the verge of full-scale mutiny because of my boss's interference in the project. My boss is ripping me new orafices daily over the project's joyride to hell because I'm not managing the project the way that SHE would. The project was going fine until she decided that every decision I make has to be blessed by her first, but she won't make a damn decision or allow me to go talk to the people I need to ask questions of to finish this blasted thing.

I am between the proverbial rock and hard place. [face_frustrated]

While I'm complaining, I am also officially done with winter. I'm ready for spring.

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    If you look up the word "hell" in the dictionary, it has the words, "See also: Project". It sounds like you have one of those bosses. Unfortunately, in my experience most of them have been women, and they tend to let their emotions reign during this time, instead of not acting on impulse or panicking. The men on the other hand have always just been egotistical, ladder-climbing and unethical. :)

Here's to this month being over. Cheers.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I know what you're up against, Nicki. That's exactly how it was when I worked directly under our Chief Operating Officer. The man is more bipolar than even I am, (Type I at least), and he wanted results even though he tied my hands at every turn by wanting to micromanage everything I did. And when he wasn't trying to micromanage me, he was blatantly undermining me. And I'd ask for a decision on something and get a half-answer that gave me no clarity of what he wanted. The man could not communicate worth a damn, which is why he always either talked to me like I was stupid, instilled everything he said with disdain or sarcasm, or just yelled and screamed. Eventually I- just like everyone else who works here- couldn't make him happy or meet his expectations, which led to my demotion... and other events. Looking back, though, I really was set up to fail from the very beginning. This man runs the company... the entire company since the owner is only a figurehead, and he fits Rhonda's description of the typical male "one of those" bosses to a "T". Oh, and he's an office bully, using intimidation- as well as misinformation or lack of communication- to gain and retain control.

I'm glad I work for our CFO again. He lets me do what I need to do and doesn't interfere unless he has to. Plus he's so incredibly nice and easy-going that it makes working here that much more bearable. Unfortunately, the psycho COO is my boss's boss somehow, which I can't figure out, because in real companies that doesn't happen. Both are supposed to be equals as a form of checks and balances, with both answering to the president/CEO/owner. Somehow, though, the COO has bullied himself into a position of authority over my boss, which gives him free reign to screw the company wholesale.

So there... I went from commiseration to complaint! Genius!

And my right eye has been twitching for two days straight.

21. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    My uncle has had a massive stroke and is not expected to live and I think I came in here to complain about the Army or the stupid war because, for the second time, my cousin will have lost an immediate family member while he is spending most of his adult life in Iraq. (He was in Iraq when his only sibling was killed in a car wreck years ago.) The soonest that the Red Cross was going to be able to get him back to the States was going to be next Tuesday - however, my uncle's boss got in touch with Congressman Cohen's office, who got in touch with the Pentagon, and my cousin will be leaving Iraq today or tomorrow - hopefully in time to make it home before his father passes. So, yay for the government. For once.

So now I shall complain about the fact that children under 14 can't go in the ICU waiting room at the hospital. I totally understand not letting them in the Unit - no kid needs to see that - but where, exactly, are they supposed to go while their families are in the ICU waiting room? How is having little kids in the hallway better than putting them in chair in the corner of a waiting room? Someone please explain that one to me.

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    :( Sorry to hear about your uncle, Traci. I've met him once and he seemed like a pretty good guy.

I'm glad Chuck is getting to come home. I really like Cohen. I'm on his email distribution list because I've emailed him before.

Here's a complaint for you: My co. just announced layoffs to the tune of 1500 people worldwide. Then they announced that we aren't getting merit raises this year. Now, our 401k matching will be changed to matching of company stock only (I guess I'm glad they're keeping it at all). We're "belt tightening" at work as far as supplies, travel, company paid meals, etc.

But our Senior Execs are still getting their MIP (management incentive pay). [face_plain]

So basically, only those in the group that needs the money the most are getting ****ed. Got it.

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, we're going through the same, Rhonda, except for the layoffs... so far. [face_praying] But it's amazing the things that aren't being cut, like the four cars the company leases for the COO, the country club memberships, the season tickets to all the major sports teams in Tennessee, and the various other perks we mere mortals here at the company don't have access to.

24. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    Damn, Traci. I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. [:D]

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Traci's uncle passed away a few hours ago. I hate it that her cousin in en route from Iraq and didn't get to see his father before he died. I do know that one of the last somewhat-coherent, post-stroke conversations her uncle had was on the phone with his son a few days ago, and that he told him he loved him, which apparently was one of the few clear sentences he was able to speak that night. That was three days ago before he took a turn for the worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.