main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Abortion: Why not?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba Nekhbet, Feb 11, 2016.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Hey, you're the one who demanded me to GTFO because I happen to be born a man, I get the sighing rights :p

J-Rod likes this.
  3. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yes exactly. Sigh away. Just don’t tell me I’m purporting to infringe upon your rights. You also have the right to be a racist, mysoginistic homophobe, but that doesn’t mean you should always necessarily voice those opinions in every internet debate on the issue of race, gender or sexuality. You have the right but I personally think people who have strong opinions along those lines should STFU and GTFO.

But please don’t let me get in the way of this great sausage fest of an abortion debate. :p

juday and harpua like this.
  4. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Feel free to think they should. I mean, it's rather impossible to consider people have a universal right to express an opinion, no matter who or what they are and no matter what the topic, without embracing freedom of opinion as a prerequisite (they do not have a universal right to avoid any consequences for making use of said freedom, but that's a different kettle of fish...)

As to me, I'd be easier to define as a specist. My opinion is humans aren't halfway as intelligent as we think ourselves to be, let alone capable of escaping our own prejudices, no matter what they are - an opinion that tends to get reinforced with the paucity of humans openly admitting someone else is right, let alone openly admit they are wrong (spoiler, every human is going to be wrong a lot more often than they'll ever admit it). Locally speaking, one would be high-balling the proportion of opinion posts on this very board including one admitting they are wrong by estimating it at less than one in a hundred.

But that's getting rather far afield, so can we have an open and universal debate instead?

5. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Thank you very much. :) Now STFU and GTFO :p

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Hey guys, what's up? You discussing abortion with no women present? How adorable.

7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    You're welcome. And nope :p

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why is this topic so important to you, LordBan?

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Which one, of abortion, or of freedom of expression regardless of category?

If the latter, it's a matter of principle, I suppose.

If it's the former, I do have a strong opinion, which can be summed up as "the decision should always be made on an individual basis for each case, with as much information as possible and without compromising the mother's health." Aside from providing a few safeguards (unfortunately, humans... x) ), I think policy and law makers (and any other temporal or moral authorities) should stay as uninvolved as possible and let the people personally involved in each individual decision have the preponderant say.

It is a strong opinion because every single decision revolves around the termination of a life. I can't conceive of how such a subject can't be taken seriously any more than I can accept a dictate of any form saying "no, abortion isn't happening".

10. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Get back to me when you give a damn about babies after they're born.

harpua likes this.
  11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    @appleseed If this was addressed to me, I don't understand what would make you believe I don't.

12. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    LostOnHoth, what you said is never going to convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you. To a person who believes abortion is ending a human life without its consent, it would essentially look like this:
    (Which is actually a sentiment I've seen expressed by more than a few people, funnily enough)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Also don't know if anyone mentioned it yet in the depths of this thread but the 'violinist' and 'people-seeds' thought experiments mentioned earlier are pretty weak arguments. The violinist one only works as an analogy for cases of rape, and the people-seeds one equates "not having penis-in-vagina sex until you're capable of accepting the possible consequence of a kid" with "never being able to open your door or window or go outside." It's a fun activity, but comparing a lack of it to life in a hermetically-sealed prison is something I'd expect from an overly-dramatic and cripplingly horny teenager.

On a personal level the act of abortion makes me uneasy, but I believe the overall consequences to outlawing it (for both society and the individual) would likely be significantly worse both short and long-term. Even if it is evil as some people argue, I think it's the lesser of two evils.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

DANNASUK, Vaderize03, Landb and 5 others like this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks Paul.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh Jonesy! [:D]

16. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/06pdf/05-380.pdf

Scroll down to page 53 to see why RBG has such a problem with the majority’s reasoning in this decision. Specifically, she quotes Hoyt v Florida from 1961, when the Court ruled that “women were the center of home and family life, with attendant special responsibilities that precluded full and independent legal status under the Constitution.”

Do we really want to go back to that? Does anyone really think we can?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are quite a few people who want to go back to that.

As far as whether we can...I certainly hope not.

Iron_lord, Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    The sad truth is it can happen, and you are on the road towards it :( It's more a question of getting off that damn road...

19. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    For the record, I often vote for Pro-Choice candidates because their ethics for the whole person in general are better. I'm definitely not one to let the GOP manipulate me. I absolutely hate that.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  21. Rainbow Serpent

Rainbow Serpent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2018
    Stop it now - HL
    Edited for trolling

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2018
  22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh good, we really needed input from the resident David Icke fan.

23. Rainbow Serpent

Rainbow Serpent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2018
    alright who is editing my comments and what did i do wrong

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    LIZARD PEOPLE RULE THE WORLD

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    For starters you knowingly posted a racist meme, and got away with an edit instead of a ban so the administration are really good at getting priorities straight.

Racism? Pls don't.
    Spoil a movie that's not out yet? Ban!

=D=