main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Abortion: Why not?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba Nekhbet, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Let me be more direct.

Much like conservative existence that “real” Islam is represented by Osama bin Laden, your proposed classification has no basis in fact, shuts down possible discussion and compromise, and promotes radicalization in favor of they very thing you claim to oppose. It’s a dumb tactic really only employed when people are most interested in stereotyping. It’s tiresome and I wish you would not do it anymore, preferably after apologizing for having done it in the first place.

solojones likes this.
  2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Except it's not, though. The pro-life position is that abortion is akin to murder and should not be allowed by law. That's the definition. Allowing for exceptions either makes the person a hypocrite or a liar. Let's put it this way: I don't believe in the death penalty for anything because it's state sponsored murder. If I suddenly started drawing lines on what's an acceptable form of death penalty and what's not, then I can't convincingly say I'm anti-death penalty.

Same thing here. If you start drawing arbitrary lines on abortion based on your personal morality, then you can't convincingly say you're really pro-life or anti-abortion any longer. It's just an attempt to deceive or seem more moderate, in my opinion. I believe I've been clear here. It's not really splitting hairs so much as pointing out the flaws in such thinking. It's why I said I respect the no exceptions pro-lifers more because, awful though they are, it's at least not trying to put a smiley face on horrible social policy. It's why a lot of awful things are accepted because they seem 'moderate' next to the *******s that are practically frothing at the mouth, but make no mistake: they're both on the same level, they're just a kinder, friendlier form of awfulness.

appleseed likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Between fido and bob, this thread is extra.... special today.

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm gonna double-post. Sorry.

The Messiness of Reproduction and the Dishonesty of Anti-Abortion Propaganda

A good read.

Special is how I like it.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    appleseed and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As I have said before, your stance is not much different from mine, and I consider myself pro-choice. IIRC you support widely available birth control for all regardless of ability to pay and you support comprehensive sex education for all, which to me indicates that you actually want to reduce the number of abortions, as opposed to taking the standard stance of the “pro-life” movement, which is “I get to tell women when they can have sex and I get to punish them if they don’t obey.”

So no, I don’t think you hate women. I think the standard stance of the pro-life movement involves hatred for, or at least contempt for, women.

FWIW I support a ban at the point of viability. But the only law I find necessary on that front is the code of ethics that already exists for medical professionals. Any doctor that agrees to abort a fetus at 32 weeks because “Oops, I changed my mind” deserves to lose his or her medical license. But I’m pretty sure medical boards already handle that without judges getting involved.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've always thought of getting an abortion as a very responsible act.

Just wanted to say it.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Runjedirun, V-2, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It takes a level of self-awareness and responsibility to realize that you’re not ready for a child.

And in the situation that the birth control that you have responsibly used, doesn’t work...abortion would be the next move.

The response from the “pro-life” crowd is usually along the lines of “Don’t have sex if you’re not ready for pregnancy,” which goes back to my earlier point about their greater concern being a desire to dictate who can have sex and when.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Even if you didn't use birth control, that's in the past and cannot be undone. A pregnancy can be undone.

The J-Rod types complain about mothers who use government assistance to take care of their children. They call it irresponsible. So how is it also irresponsible to prevent that from happening by getting an abortion?

"Don't have sex" solves nothing. I don't see a lot of guys lining up for abstinence. I don't really see any fuss being made about getting guys to wear condoms. No one cares. No one says anything. All the burden and responsibility is placed upon women.

Rew, CLee, Jedi Merkurian and 8 others like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    True. Apparently men get a pass if they “don’t like” condoms. :rolleyes:

Jedi Merkurian and appleseed like this.
  10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This. Dr Gosnell went down in part because the PA state board of medicine revoked his license. Prosecution happened soon thereafter.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  12. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Quoted from the article:

"How dare some legislator applaud this monstrous law in public all the while deferring to a doctor’s expertise in private."

This is exactly the situation every medical professional is going to be in for even minor medical issues should these laws be allowed to stand. Physicians will have to ask "can I give this antibiotic, or heart medication, or insulin shot, or could it harm the 8-week old embryo/fetus and I'll be fired/prosecuted/sued?" For that reason alone many doctors will refuse to treat pregnant patients outside of emergency situations.

The lay public doesn't understand just how much defensive medicine comes into play in modern-day practice, but they are going to learn fast. And they won't like the answers when they see it.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

Here ya go, @robert martins Surprisingly this issue was addressed a day after you mentioned it.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    From Kevin Smith's Instagram...

that scene from Dogma

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Vaderize03 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I've always maintained that women have the power to stop this, but not all of them want to. Many women are just fine with "barefoot and pregnant"--it's the majority that isn't who suffer from their arcane point-of-view and self-righteous belief that they have the right to impose their morals on others.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I’m waiting on the Firth Circuit. Let’s see if they actually have the gumption to uphold this and the Georgia/Mississippi law on the grounds that they think the USSC will overturn Roe.

Such a ruling would force the issue up to the Nine, although they could choose to simply reverse without comment or otherwise ruling on the merits of the case.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I found this which sums up what I’ve tried to say on this topic for awhile:

[​IMG]

I’d add “sex isn’t just for wealthy people” to the first tweet and “...you’d also favor giving away birth control” to the second tweet.

20. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/28/politics/supreme-court-abortion-indiana/index.html

"
    The Supreme Court said Tuesday that a provision of an Indiana law which said the state may prohibit abortions motivated solely by race, sex or disability should remain blocked.
    The court, however, did say it would allow part of the law that requires clinics to bury or cremate fetal remains to take effect.
    The fact that the court decided not to take up the more controversial provision of the Indiana law suggests that there is not a current appetite on the court to move aggressively to question the court's core abortion precedents of Roe v. Wade and Casey v. Planned Parenthood. Still, supporters of abortion rights will be disappointed and worried that the justices allowed the fetal tissue provision to go into effect.
    "
    welp,here's the first and sadly not the last of the insanity.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    They also refused a ruling on transgender bathroom issue without comment.
    The conservative justices are playing pure politics at this point. They will refuse to make any controversial rulings until after the election, so as not to hurt Trump and other conservative candidates in close races.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Rew and Point Given like this.
  22. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Yup. Eventually they’ll have to step in it though, probably in the summer of 2021 so that maybe people will have forgotten the gutting of Roe by the midterms in 2022. Or not.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    CNN - Disney and Netflix have both said that if the new abortion law in Georgia takes effect they may stop producing shows and movies there.

24. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Now this is interesting.

I wonder how long these 40 prosecutors will stay in their jobs. I mean, you can't have DA's who are unwilling to prosecute women who've been raped or been victims of incest running the show, right?

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011