main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Abortion: Why not?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba Nekhbet, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Your posts are like someone who starts a bar fight and then leaves when the cops show up. And I think you know that.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'd have gone in a rather different direction: it's not so much what you do as it is what you don't.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What in the name of Ragnos does that have to do with a pandemic not being over?

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Go to the pandemic thread. Your answer is there.

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Example A, your honor.

Jedi Ben and Vaderize03 like this.
  6. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Res ipsa loquitor.

And I’m not telling you what that means, either.

Bilbo Fett, PCCViking and Thena like this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Pandemic policy is like someone who loses a bar fight and then goes home and beats up his spouse.

8. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Wrong on so many levels. And not even remotely funny given that I know spouses who have faced just that scenario and frequently treat patients who live in abusive settings.

@heels1785

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Spousal abuse is hilarious.

10. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah being forced to wear a mask to the mall is the exact same thing as spousal abuse. Glad we found the real victim here tho.

And considering the thread and what the GOP are doing here with forced pregnancy, just absolutely unreal.

11. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    So the Georgia Department of Revenue has ruled that a pregnancy woman can claim an unborn child as a dependent as long as there is a detectable heartbeat (including as early as six weeks into pregnancy). $3,000 per child.

Stacey Abrams Tweeted the question of whether a woman who claims the deduction and subsequently miscarries will be investigated both for loss-of-pregnancy and tax fraud.

We live in interesting times.

Jedi Merkurian and ZanderSolo like this.
  12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "The Associated Press called the race at 9:40 p.m central. The vote “no” campaign led with 61 % to 39 % with 2540 of 3994 precincts reporting."

Roe: If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Pensivia and Runjedirun like this.
  14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    [face_plain]

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Alpha-Red, Pensivia and ZanderSolo like this.
  16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    NPR - Mississippi Voters Reject Personhood Amendment (2011)

In 2011, Mississippi (where voters later supported Romney with 55% of the 2012 vote) voters rejected a personhood-at-conception amendment to their Constitution 58% to 41%. Extremism isn't as popular as the RepubliQans think it is. And also a reminder that ballot initiative support doesn't entirely translate over to support for Democratic candidates.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Wonder whether or not Kansas legislators will ignore this vote and pass a ban anyway.

Wouldn’t put it past them.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That would destroy any semblance of rule of law and basically give carte blanche to the Federal government to ignore SCOTUS since the Kansas Constitution is what grants the right according to Kansas Supreme Court and that an amendment would be needed.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I mean, that's conceptually similar to the Independent State Legislature theory, which is also a sort-of dressed up way of claiming partisan state legislatures should ignore and override their own state supreme courts.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Yes and yes.

Not arguing the merits, just whether or not they'll try given how out-in-the-open the GOP's authoritarian goals have now become. Also SCOTUS. Their adherence to the rule of law is suspect at best.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I used to be of the opinion that Vaderize could be hyperbolic in his prognostications. At present, though, I do basically believe Republican officials would behave like this.

Juliet316 and Vaderize03 like this.
  22. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I often was hyperbolic. Unfortunately hyperbole has morphed into reality. Not at all happy to be proven right here.

Lordban, Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...f-itmFBGVCqYd3gMjoTsRFnkUcycWg_CvZtYeNzsHaa6k

Georgia residents can now claim embryos as dependents on their state taxes, the state's Revenue Department announced Monday.

"In light of the June 24, 2022, U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization and the July 20, 2022, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in Sistersong v. Kemp, the Department will recognize any unborn child with a detectable human heartbeat ... as eligible for the Georgia individual income tax dependent exemption," the department said in a statement.

24. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    How does the state prove this claim?

The article states medical or typical documentation is required to prove the claim.

Does the unborn have a social security number? A tax Id number? A birth certificate? A certified name? Sex? Etc?

Who in the government is certifying heart beat or pregnancy tests?

So people have to hand over medical documents relating to a pregnancy to get a tax credit.

what happen with miscarriages? Or any situation where the unborn is never born?

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    This feels like someone is trying to push the absurdity of this to see what happens.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.