main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (This is real)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jedi_Johnson, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    With Lincoln fighting vampires I figured info on this book belonged in the SciFi Book parts of TF.n. If this is in the wrong place, feel free to lock.

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/abe_lincoln_vampire_hunter.jpg]

So in my journey across the web I came across what could be the greatest book to come out this year entitled Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. And yes this is a real book it ships tomorrow. From what I can tell its from the same publisher that did Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. And to be honest it looks to be hilarious. Here's the excerpt Amazon had:

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother?s bedside. She?s been stricken with something the old-timers call ?Milk Sickness.?

?My baby boy?? she whispers before dying.

Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother?s fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire.

When the truth becomes known to young Lincoln, he writes in his journal, ?henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose?? Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 140 years.

Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation..

And even better, the publishers created a YouTube trailer for the book. I swear, I am not making this up. I couldn't help but laugh when I watched the trailer.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Trailer

2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    It's not the first time that Lincoln has been connected to horror genre, it happened in S.P. Somtow's "Darker Angels"(1997 or 1998). I have never read it, but based on the descriptions of it's plot I can guess that Lincoln, who has been just assassinated as the novel starts, is raised from the dead in the novel's ending.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I do not even know what to say.

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I agree with Nat. :p

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I kinda liked the trailer. However I looked on Amazon UK and they are offering a hardcover version. I'm not sure I want it bad enough to pay HC prices.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm speechless.

And not in a good way.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I look forward to this.

Also I don't see why everyone is speechless. It's by the same guy who did Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm still speechless about that :p

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Pretty much the same here. Though I've started to get to the point where I can just laugh at the existence of that one.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I still cry a little inside about that and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Meh. I'm looking forward to getting this.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I picked this up last night, just off the cover & synopsis. I'll start reading today and tell y'all how it is.

I mean, it can't be any more ridiculous than those various books that have Lord Byron as a vampire.

Heck, maybe Abraham Lincoln'll kill Lord Byron. :p

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That wouldn't be much of a ringing endorsement as far as I'm concerned :p

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Byron as a vampire? Oy vey.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Well I picked this up today, and it turns out I bought a signed copy! It's really good so far.

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I was avoiding this book because it looked a little more of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" and "Dawn of the Dreadfuls." Essentially, a lot of an author that feels like they think that they're a bit more clever than they actually are. I might give it a chance though.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I take it you wouldn't recommemd P&P&Z etc.?

18. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is getting made into a movie, and it's going to star Portman, just FYI.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, really? Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.