main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Absolution (Ep. III era AU; Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padmé, OCs)- Completed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gina, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvdunlop

tvdunlop Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2003
    I like the mystery of that box, i must say. I too wonder what the Council will say, do they know, somehow I doubt it. I wonder if Obi Wan will be able to make peace with this, either way, it won't help his relationship with Anakin, unless......hummmmmm........things to think about....great post...looking forward to the next one!!!!

2. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Poor Obi-Wan! I feel for him. I also feel really bad for his son! AnakinsHeir took the words out of my mouth!

I love the box mystery!

3. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    What a shock for Obi-Wan to find out that this woman he cared for is dead. But perhaps some good can be found in this tragedy. Great job with this one and an interesting twist! Can't wait to find out more about Riane's mother. It sounds like she and Obi shared in their Jedi training...and much more. ;)

How sad to find that Riane is so bitter and that there are hard feelings for everyone in this family. Very mysterious Gina!!! It will be very interesting to see what is in this box and what answers will be revealed.

4. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Aww, that was sad. Poor Obi-Wan, but what is in the box? Boxes are ever so useful. I have one that turns up (or will turn up) in my fics.

Wow. Bet he wasn't expecting a kid at all.

Great chapter.

5. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    I was right! Obi-Wan's woman was a Jedi... (right?)

"She always said that you would find her if that is where your path led you," Caoilin answered, struggling to maintain a tone of civility in her voice. "She could never overcome her Jedi mindset, even after?" She broke off, unable to continue.

But she's dead. Thats really sad of O-W, and its also a really dark thing for you to do to the reader. For much of the story, you've had me wondering just who Obi-Wan's mystery woman is, only to find out she's dead... sad indeed. Good post, Gina.

6. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Jedikma

Yes, she was a Jedi too. I'll reveal more about their past soon. ;)

Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate it.

mixza

I'll take your shock as a good thing. :p

Thanks so much for reading!

VaderLVR64

I love seeing this side of Obi-Wan and you've made it VERY believable by handling it this way.

Thank you!! :) I really wanted the emotions in this chapter to be realistic, so I'm glad you liked it.

JediStarMoonstruck

There's too much bad things going on!

Well?It is an angsty story, but it won't all be bad. Thanks for reading and for your review! :D

_JM_

Clíona?s desire to keep Obi-Wan ignorant and Caoilin maintaining that silence has ensured he has been denied the opportunity to earn that right (as well as being denied a chance to know his son without years of bitterness standing between them).

Exactly! However, the ironic thing is that Clíona never meant to cause bitterness between Obi-Wan and Riane. She truly believed that she was doing the right thing by letting it be Obi-Wan's decision whether or not to seek her out again.

Thanks for your comments. :D

Sabe126

Yes, Obi-Wan definitely found out more than he bargained for. The Council's reaction, the box and his decisions are coming very soon. Thanks for reading. :)

LaYa_

Yes, this was definitely not what Obi-Wan expected to find.

Glad you liked the post, and I appreciate your comments. [face_blush]

Kynstar

Well now...I wonder if the kid knows that that is his pops?

He knows, but he is not thrilled to see him.

Glad you liked the post. :D

leia_naberrie

Thanks so much for your comments. :) Caoilin and Riane will most definitely have an impact on Obi-Wan's life. I will be revealing more about Cliona very soon!

AnakinsHeir

Yes, they will both have to go through a lot of healing. Thanks for reading and commenting. :D

tvdunlop

Hi, there! The Council doesn't know yet, but they will. [face_mischief] As far as his relationship with Anakin?let's just say Obi-Wan's past will surprise a few people.

Thanks so much for reading! :D

VadersMistress

Thank you! Glad you liked the box mystery. I actually had a couple different endings for this chapter, but my wonderful beta convinced me that this was the most intriguing way to end it. ;)

tangled_sphere

But perhaps some good can be found in this tragedy.

I think it already has?Obi-Wan and Riane just don't know it yet. ;)

Great job with this one and an interesting twist!

Thank you so much! [face_blush]

Kazzy

Boxes are ever so useful.

Aren't they wonderful! ;)

Thanks for reading and for your review!

Vivid_Scripts

Thats really sad of O-W, and its also a really dark thing for you to do to the reader.

Sorry. :( It really was the only way for the story to work. Things will get better, though. Thanks for reading and for commenting. :)

Again, thanks for reading, everyone! [face_love]

7. Gina

Jun 3, 2003

Absolution

Chapter 11
    A New Journey

Padmé leaned against the wall of the turbolift, exhausted after a long day of listening to endless debates. When she reached her floor, she exited the turbolift and entered her apartment. She discarded her cloak on the nearest chair and sank down gratefully onto the settee. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, trying to rid herself of the throbbing pain in her head.

She felt two hands begin to massage her temples and turned around to see Anakin standing behind her. He knelt down, resting his forearms and chin on the back of the sofa as he looked at her.

"Rough day, milady?" he inquired.

"Dreadful. Your little letter didn't help matters any, Anakin. I?I couldn't concentrate properly for the remainder of the day," Padmé scolded him gently.

"I'm sorry," he replied, without the slightest hint of apology present in his voice.

Anakin stood and walked around to the front of the settee. He grasped his wife's hand and pulled her to him. "I have a surprise for you, angel. I asked Dormé to take the twins for the entire night. So, I need you to go and change. I am taking you out for a quiet dinner."

Padmé's eyes opened wide in surprise. "Dinner? Just the two of us?" she asked incredulously.

"Just the two of us," he reiterated as he kissed her.

"Hmmm?My day seems to be getting better," Padmé teased as she wriggled from his arms and walked to the bedchamber to change, pausing long enough to give her husband a seductive look as she glanced back over her shoulder.

When Caoilin entered the kitchen the next morning, Obi-Wan was still there, his eyes red and swollen. The table before him was littered with the contents of the carved box - holographs, data pads, small mementos and even hand-written letters.

Obi-Wan looked up as he heard her approach.

Caoilin stood by the table and looked at him expectantly.

"I want to take Ríane back to Coruscant with me," he told her. "It was her will, Caoilin. You cannot stop me."

She sighed deeply. "I know."

The Skywalkers were seated at a cozy table for two located in a quiet corner by the window. Anakin was dressed in his finest black tunic, and Padmé wore a light, gauzy dress in the most delicate shade of blue. Soft music echoed through the dimly lit dining room as the house musicians played a steady stream of soothing melodies. Padmé sighed contentedly as she sat back in her chair, feeling fully relaxed for the first time in several months.

Anakin smiled as he sensed the tension and anxiety leave his wife's body, pleased with the apparent success of his plan. As much as he loved his children, Anakin had desperately wanted some time alone with Padmé. Early that morning, after convincing Dormé to be an accomplice in his little scheme, he had waited patiently while the handmaiden lured Padmé away from her data pad. Then, after leaving an affectionate letter amidst her Senate notes, he had replaced the data pad and left the apartment to make the arrangements for their special night. The owner of Celesta, their favorite restaurant, was an old friend of the Naberrie family who had moved to Coruscant to open an establishment specializing in Nubian cuisine, and it hadn't been difficult for Anakin to secure Padmé's favorite table for that evening.

A waiter brought menus, and Anakin began to peruse the many appetizing selections, suddenly realizing how hungry he was. After taking their orders, the waiter retrieved the menus and bowed slightly. Promising to return with their drinks, he disappeared from the table, leaving the couple alone once again. Padmé reached across the table and took Anakin's hand.

"Thank you for this evening," she told him as she lightly massaged his palm. Then, a small look of worry clouded her face. "I wonder if the twins are alright?" she asked.

Anakin touched a finger to her lips, silencing her. "There will be no talk of the children this evening, Padmé. This night is about us."

Padmé looked at him for a moment

8. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    *disrupts Anakin and Padme's evening by zooming in and whacking Anakin with Haruko's guitar* The corpse is trying to turn you to the Dark Side! How many times must I whack that in your head? :mad:

Go Padme! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Poor Obi-Wan! :( His son doesn't like him. Poor guy. :(

Can't wait to see what Anakin thinks! [face_devil]

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh this was sad! Poor kid... doesn't want to leave!

*Snrk* Anakin, Anakin... hehehehe

Great post!

10. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    "Well, Clíona, your wish has been granted, my dear sister. They have found each other."

That was so moving. I don't think that father and son are going to have an easy time getting to know one another.

Trust Palpatine to ruin the evening. Wake up Anakin and listen to your wife! Palpatine does NOT need emergency powers!

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WOW! There was so much good stuff in this post that I hardly know where to start. I feel bad for Obi-Wan, he is facing a difficult time as he tries to convince his son that this is not the end of the world!

Anakin and Padme were priceless! Very believable as new parents trying to sneak in a few minutes for themselves.

I hope this issue with Palpatine doesn't cause them trouble. But since when did Palpatine NOT cause trouble? Sigh...

Anothe wonderful post, I can hardly wait for the next update.

12. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Wonderful post! :)

Can't wait for more ;)

13. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Great posts, Gina! I felt so bad for Obi-Wan, Caolin, and Riane. Sounds like they're all suffering because of a bad judgement call somewhere along the way.

If Obi-Wan was wrong about something, he might should have been in contact sooner and found out what had happened to Cliona. But since we know very little of their relationship or how they parted, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I do feel that either Riane's mother or aunt should have let Obi-Wan know he had a son, though. He had a right to know. They both had a right to know each other as Riane was growing up.

Now I'm afraid they're in for a rough time, at least initially. Riane will likely resent Obi-Wan taking him from the only home and family he knows. It'll be interesting to see how things develop there. I can only imagine the look on Anakin's face when he finds out!

And it sounds like there might be some more developments with Palpatine soon. He's not going to give up his 'emergency' powers without a fight.

Looking forward to more!

Kristeh

14. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    Obi-Wan's son hates him (no surprise, seeing as how Obi-Wan wasn't there his entire life), but what will happen now? Riane is in his possession, but what will Obi-Wan say to the council? How will he explain this? hmmmm

15. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    As soon as I saw the words "his son", I swear my eyes were as wide as saucers! I ain't kidding!!!!! Man, that sure was a great twist!

16. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Obi-Wan is in for some uncomfortable silences with his son (think Sam in Life as a House). But I think Obi-Wan has the patience to make his son see sense. At least I hope so.

This story continues to impress! You've done a great job with characterization here. Everyone is recognizable, just in a different circumstance.

Very nicely done indeed!

17. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    Look at what I found, Yay!

18. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Obi-Wan's son! Hee hee. Looks like he and Anakin have alot more in common then they thought. I wonder what Ani's reation will be when he finds out. Shock? Amusement? Disbelief? And what will the Jedi Council do to Obi-Wan? [face_thinking]

19. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Sounds like Anakin may be in just a little too deep with Palpatine! *shivers*

That last scene was very sad and moving. I have to wonder of the wisdom of Obi-Wan, taking the boy with him. He's been with his aunt for so long and he seems to love her very much. It is so sad that she in now alone and then Obi-Wan taking the boy to a place completely foreign to him, when he seems happy and well adjusted where he is....

I don't know, I don't think I agree with Obi-Wan here. I'm not too happy with him, either. :(

[face_worried]

20. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    That was wonderful Gina! It was so sweet of Anakin to arrange that night! [face_love] It's too bad the 'rescinding of powers' brought the night to a halt. It really makes you wonder where that explosion came from. ;)

Poor Obi-Wan and Caoilin. It will be interesting to see their relationship develop :D

21. Gina

Jun 3, 2003

JediStarMoonstruck

Can't wait to see what Anakin thinks!

Obi-Wan's news will definitely be a surprise?

Thanks for your comments. :D

Kynstar.

Thanks! :)

Sabe126

I don't think that father and son are going to have an easy time getting to know one another.

It won't be easy ? for either of them.

Thanks for reading! :)

VaderLVR64

Anakin and Padme were priceless! Very believable as new parents trying to sneak in a few minutes for themselves.

Thank you so much! I'm glad you thought it was believable, especially since I have NO personal experience in that area. ;) :p

But since when did Palpatine NOT cause trouble?

I know! :mad:

LaYa_

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :D

kristeh

I do feel that either Riane's mother or aunt should have let Obi-Wan know he had a son, though. He had a right to know. They both had a right to know each other as Riane was growing up.

I agree! There were definitely some bad judgment calls along the way ? by all parties involved. The ironic thing is, Cliona never meant her decision to be malicious or to cause a problem.

Thanks for your review! :D

Vivid_Scripts

Yes, Obi-Wan has a LOT of explaining to do ? to a lot of people.

Thanks so much for reading and for your comments! :)

diamond_pony2002

Man, that sure was a great twist!

Thank you! [face_blush]

AnakinsHeir

Obi-Wan is in for some uncomfortable silences with his son (think Sam in Life as a House).

I LOVE that movie!! [face_love] Yes, they will have a lot of adjusting to do.

This story continues to impress! You've done a great job with characterization here.

Thank you. I really appreciate that! [face_blush]

DANA28

Welcome! Glad you found it! :D

mixza

I wonder what Ani's reation will be when he finds out. Shock? Amusement? Disbelief? And what will the Jedi Council do to Obi-Wan?

[face_mischief] [face_mischief] [face_mischief]

Thanks for your review!

Jedikma

I have to wonder of the wisdom of Obi-Wan, taking the boy with him. He's been with his aunt for so long and he seems to love her very much.

As with Cliona's decision not to tell Obi-Wan about Riane, everyone is once again doing what they believe to be the right thing. In this case, following Cliona's wishes for father and son to be together. It will be rough, but don't count them out just yet? ;)

Thanks for reading and for your comments! :)

tangled_sphere

That was wonderful Gina!

Thanks! :D

It was so sweet of Anakin to arrange that night! It's too bad the 'rescinding of powers' brought the night to a halt.

I know! Palpy just has an annoying habit of ruining everything! :mad:

Again, thanks everyone for reading. [face_love] [face_love]

22. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Thanks once again to Jazz_Skywalker for beta reading this story. :)

Chapter 12
    The Memento

Obi-Wan Kenobi entered the hyperspace coordinates for Coruscant, then sat back wearily in the pilot's chair, watching as the stars turned into streaks of light. After a few moments, he turned to look at the boy seated next to him. When he had asked Padmé for the use of her ship, he had hoped that he would be bringing home a passenger, but this was certainly not what he had expected to find upon his arrival on Aerion.

He looked more closely at Ríane, who was staring out the view port, his jaw clenched tightly. It wasn't difficult to see the resemblance. They both shared golden hair tinged with a reddish hue, and their profiles were shockingly similar, but Obi-Wan noticed, just as he had the first time he saw Ríane, that it was the eyes that sealed their blood bond.

Feeling his stomach begin a slow rumble, Obi-Wan stood up wearily and began to stretch his muscles.

"I'm going to the galley to find something to eat," he informed his passenger. "Actually, this ship's owner left it quite well stocked with fine delicacies. May I bring you a snack, Ríane?" he asked hopefully.

Obi-Wan's request was met with stony silence, and he noticed a muscle twitching slightly as his son clenched his jaws even tighter. Disappointed, but not really surprised, Obi-Wan stepped between the chairs of the cockpit as he made his way toward the doorway. In doing so, he rested his hand briefly on the young man's shoulder. The cockpit door slid open, and Obi-Wan stepped across the threshold.

"You'll never be my father."

Ríane's words pierced Obi-Wan's heart. The Jedi Master stopped, his mind reeling with an uncertainty of what to say, when the door hissed shut behind him with a brutal finality.

In the galley, Obi-Wan absentmindedly opened cabinets and storage containers, his appetite dampened considerably by Ríane's words. Once he found something he thought he could tolerate, Obi-Wan carried his meal to his quarters and sat down on his bunk, his back resting against the wall. After only a few bites, he laid aside the plate of bread and fruit. His eyes wandered aimlessly around the small room until he caught sight of Clíona's box resting on a shelf near his bunk.

He reached for the box, and placed it on his lap. Obi-Wan opened the lid and pulled out a large stack of holographs. Even though he had just looked at them the previous evening, his eyes now pored over the images with the utmost scrutiny, taking in even the tiniest of details. The first was of Clíona, holding an infant Ríane. To the casual observer, the new mother looked utterly happy, but Obi-Wan knew this woman as well as he knew his own self, and he could see the sadness in her eyes.

The next holograph was of Ríane as a toddler, cuddling a small animal, obviously a pet. Another image showed his son in the center of a group of young children. Ríane was holding a colorfully wrapped package in his arms. A note scrawled in the corner in Clíona's handwriting stated "Ríane's Tenth Life Day Celebration."

As he continued to examine the holographs, Obi-Wan was overwhelmed by pangs of regret. He had missed so much. Eventually his regret turned to anger towards Clíona for not telling him about his son.

Would it have made a difference? her voice seemed to echo in his mind.

Resignedly, he replaced the holographs carefully in the box. He was just about to close the lid when his eyes caught a glimpse of something wedged into a corner of the box. He hadn't noticed this item the previous evening. Shifting the contents of the box, he carefully removed the object, gasping softly as he realized it was a dried Rosa flower, its petals a soft lavender. He held the flower lovingly in his calloused hands, remembering.

Many years ago, while on a mission to an Inner Rim planet with Qui-Gon, he had spied a group of Rosa flowers growing wild on the edge of a meadow. Instead of the usual red or white, these flowers were a brea

23. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan. I could feel the strength of his emotions as he recalled the past through the treasures left to him.

Excellent post :)

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful scene with Obi-Wan going through the treasures she left him. Poor Obi-Wan, not only does he become a father overnight, but he becomes the father to a teen! That is a whole different challenge!

Obi-Wan's request was met with stony silence, and he noticed a muscle twitching slightly as his son clenched his jaws even tighter. Disappointed, but not really surprised, Obi-Wan stepped between the chairs of the cockpit as he made his way toward the doorway. In doing so, he rested his hand briefly on the young man's shoulder. The cockpit door slid open, and Obi-Wan stepped across the threshold.

I felt SO BAD for Obi-Wan here. Wonderful update, I only hope Anakin hasn't gotten into too much trouble in the meantime!

I can't wait for more! :D

25. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    I know everyone is feeling sorry for Obi-Wan here and I do somewhat, but I feel even sorrier for the kid. I just don't blame him for being upset. Of course, his mother could be blamed for never telling Obi-Wan in the first place!

I guess it is her short sightedness that has resulted in both of their sufferings. :(

Great post! Can't wait for the next one! :D

~ Jedikma :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.