main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Abuse Scandals in Sports

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    UGH! These were children/young adults that WERE PARTICIPATING IN NCAA SANCTIONED ACTIVITIES BEING MOLESTED BY THIS MAN WHILE THE UNIVERSITY WAS LOOKING AWAY!

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah. It's like they have their own best interests at heart.

I hope they get sued into oblivion.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    They will. But insurance will pay that, and none of the ass hole faces who allowed this to happen will be disciplined in any way.

i hate the language filter on this board. won't take *******faces as one word, but as three separate ones, nothing's wrong.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Juliet316, DarthIntegral and Diggy like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Of course the National Cartel Against Anyone clears them.

I would have substituted criminals for cartel, but that's a distinction without a difference.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    More horrifying allegations about Larry Nassar and Michigan State.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    This is awful, completely immoral behavior by Michigan State. The officials involved in the cover-up plus that damn cameraman should be in jail. Michigan State athletics should be given the death penalty and suspended from all sports for at least a year, preferably more (with current athletes having the option for free and immediate transfers and having their scholarships honored) with the stated reasoning being the criminal cover-up by MSU.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    People need to go to ****ing prison. Powerful, rich people, most likely.

Share a cell with Graham Spanier.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I wonder how Nick Saban will be affected, since he was the football coach during the mid to late 90's.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I really think it's time to just burn down the entire ****ing NCAA. If you think this wouldn't happen at your school, you're wrong. Andy Staples joked about the big conferences splitting off to become the Collegiate Athletic Select Hegemony.

It's not a joke. All that matters is the cash.

LloydChristmas and Juliet316 like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean... what in the **** is that all about?

Also, considering the most likely GOP Speaker candidate at the moment is Jim Jordan then... oy...

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Honestly.

**** Jim Jordan a thousand different ways

LloydChristmas and Juliet316 like this.
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not sure which thread to put this in, but I think this is the right choice.

Juventus supplying us with a textbook example of what not to do when a player is alleged to have committed rape:

Seriously. Are we still living in the era of "This guy raped me!" "Yeah, but have you seen him kick a ball? And the way he conducts himself at practice?"

FFS

tom likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It should be noted that Rinaldo (the tweets aren't loading for me, but I suspect that's who you're talking about) has been left off the Portugal National soccer team.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He was last month also. I do not believe it has anything to do with the allegations, more to do with his age.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Not a moment too soon. Still, good.

DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Related: https://deadspin.com/simone-biles-has-all-the-power-and-she-knows-it-1829744898

EDIT: Just to add to this, the specific tweet that Bono made about Nike/Kaep had a... disturbing iconography to it as well. Especially since she 100% made sure people could see the marker she was using...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    For the time being, the only people that I'd advocate to run USAG are the former athletes themselves. Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, Dominique Dawes, Aly Raisman. Smart, strong women who have been vocal advocates for the safety of the athletes and, through their familiarity and experiences, are capable of fumigating the toxic culture of the sport.

Abuse of all kinds needs to be pointed out, no matter how minimal, and those who engage in it should be dragged out into the light. Throw the Nassars in prison, and throw the Karolyis and their ilk into the sewers, where they can be forgotten.

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is, imo, the correct take. She's been speaking out against this whole thing long before it was widely known, has clear ideas she wants to implement, married a man committed to her and the sport (and he's a doctor), and both want to institute some level of professional certification for trainers, etc.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I think she's a good pick. She was going up against the Karolyis 10+ years ago, when Marta was at the height of her power and influence. Fearless.

I think Aly Raisman has some good instincts that would be helpful in a position of leadership, too.

Diggy , PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, I love Aly Raisman (Mavis is aware, we're good!), and I'd love for her to be involved -- but I think having someone who can bridge older/newer whilst not being, y'know, a part of the problem at the top is best. Hell, even just putting Raisman in a position of ambassadorship would be sufficient, I'd think?

Diggy and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't forget the numerous other survivors who maybe aren't the face of US Gymnastics, but may still possess high quality leadership skills and ideas. Yes the "face" is important, but it sounds like the entire thing needs to be gutted.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005