main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Abuse Scandals in Sports

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Timeline about the spread of misinformation and its subsequent debunking.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Putting aside all feelings about the scandal, it's simply disgraceful that CBS prematurely reported his passing yesterday. I've always said the media lives to report the Three D's - death, divorce, and disaster- and it is sadly no different here.

That said, it is sadly not surprising that JoePa passed so soon. Say what you will about the black cloud of events over Penn State (and yes, something much more forceful should have been done much sooner), but the man lived for football. When he was fired, my family pretty much said, "Well, he'll go the way of Bear Bryant. He couldn't live without football either." I only hope that people also remember the football side of things, along with the scandal (as a 'never again' moment), when it comes to JoePa's legacy. I fear that "the evil that men do lives after them;
    the good is oft interred with their bones" might be the case. I hope I'm wrong. Yahoo has a pretty good way of summing it up:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_joe_paterno_obituary_012212

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    ESPN's death watch even after CBS retracted was kind of disgusting too.

Sadly, I think you're right about the scandal being what everbody remembers of him, at least for awhile. I sympathize with his family over his passing, but I have some mixed feelings over the man himself at the moment.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    RIP, JoePa @};-

7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005

8. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Most people in their 80s have declining health. I refuse to acknowledge your obvious prognostication.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Especially without a unit on the prediction? 1-2 what? Days? Hours? Months? Weeks? Years? Decades? Centuries? Minutes?

:p

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm glad y'all pointed that out to Gersh. I really wanted to just quote his post and say "duh" but the way you did it was so much better.

RIP

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
  12. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Hey way to attack me. I just ment that you take away something from an old guy and he usually doesn't last that long. Thanks for being they way you are. Special shout out to Horsey....

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    You're the one being proud of predicting a man's death who had lung cancer. Come on, man.

14. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    darth_gersh
    Wild Card Champion

15. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    At the time I said that, they were saying that he wasn't terminal. Also I don't care for the fact that people's post were directed at me in a way that seemed unfriendly. No need for people to get pissy towards me with their posts.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Come here ya big goofball! [:D]
    It was friendly jabs.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I had to comment on the units because I lost count of the number of times I had to remind my students to look at the units this past semester. Be glad I just stuck with units of time in that list.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well to top off this whole mess, the Westburo idiots are planning to protest Paterno's funeral.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sandusky's statement

Basically deny and say everyone was a part of a giant conspiracy. He is to get 30+ years but less than 60.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe I'm naive or something, but the complete lack of contrition and the level of self-serving entitlement on the part of this guy continues to astound me. Now his defense team is selling the idea that there's no display of remorse because he's innocent. It's like, so how do you explain the recorded phone call between Sandusky and the mother of one of the victims? I think it's basically a red flag when you hear someone spout nonsense like "In my heart I know I'm innocent". Great, but in your brain you know you're guilty.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    My first reaction to the sentence was that he should have gotten the maximum, but as the judge said, even with 30 years minimum, he's going to more than likely die in prison, so I'm satisfied with that. At the very least he'll never be able to harm another child again.

23. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Sandusky's mendacity and overall obliviousness are just mind-boggling to behold.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But, he knows in his heart...

=((

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Given his age, anything over 10 years could very well be a life sentence. The bigger question is where he'll be spending the rest of his life. SI's sports law contributor offers this analysis:
    The next big question is what happens to Penn State. The indication is that they're going to try to settle the lawsuits brought by the victims as quickly as possible, though that may be difficult depending on the demands of the victims. Then there's also the Cleary Act violation, which, based on the Freeh Report's findings, is going to be a big problem. Last are the criminal perjury trials of Curley and Schulltz. it should be very interesting to see what facts come to light there. Could they even decide to use the dead guy as a scapegoat?

EDIT: On a technical note, is there anyway to add the contents of the thread on the temp boards into this one? So much happened in that time period in the case.